“4 star hotel shockingly poor service - STAY AWAY” 1 of 5 stars

You added Iberotel Il Mercato to your Saves list
Iberotel Il Mercato
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hadabet Om El Seed, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #34 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“4 star hotel shockingly poor service - STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Myself, brother and cousin (23.20 and 19) have just returned from a weeks holiday in this hotel and I wanted to offer a honest assessment of the property and the service as the majority of the other reviews on this site do not give a true representation of this "5 star hotel" maybe the staff have written the reviews?

When you first arrive at the hotel it really is stunning very grand, spacious and clean but once you scratch slightly beneath the surface the cracks rapidly start to appear.

I had booked a triple room obviously as we are cousins, we arrived at the hotel at around midnight and after waiting in reception for around 30 mins we were finally presented with our room key, we then had to wait a further 15 mins for a buggy to take us to our room as it was on the other side of the complex a good 10 min walk. We went into the room and our first impressions where WOW the room was huge very clean and modern, the only issue was it only had 1 double bed. I explained to the porter that we had booked a triple room and needed 3 single beds. Back in the buggy we went to reception and I explained the situation once again to the front office manager that this what not the room we booked. In all fairness he promptly apologised and said that he would upgrade us to a room in the main hotel. We eventually arrived in the 2nd room that was no way near as nice as the first one however it did have single beds but unfortunately it only had 2. As I am sure you can imagine by this point we where very tired after travelling all day so we called down to reception to explain we needed another bed again the receptionist apologised and said he would have another bed sent up straight away. After waiting in total well over a hour and calling down to reception a further 5 times the 3rd bed finally arrived and we were able to get to sleep nearly 2 hours after checking in.

We woke in the morning feeling less tired and decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and try and put the check-in nightmare behind us, little did we no this was only the beginning of the shocking service.

We had a safety deposit box in the room that broke every single day and a member of the hotel staff have to come and open it, this was obviously a pain but the worst thing about it was once again the blatant bare faced lies from the reception team "my colleague will be with you in 5 mins" on average we waited for 30 mins each day for somebody to come on open the safe as we had to be there when they did it. It would not have been half as bad if they just gave a honest ETA rather than just lying. Some days the reception would even ignore the phone.

The food at the hotel is poor very repetitive and bland thank god for the McDonald's and KFC in the mall.

The hotel staff are miserable and quite frankly rude with the exception of housekeeping they are just fantastic. It seems very clear in this hotel you have to tip to get an kind of service and in my mind you tip when you get good service?? We could see other people entering the restaurant after us and getting drinks well before us.

The drinks are ok however taste completely different depending what bar you go to unless of course the Food and Beverage Manager is doing the rounds then the drinks are lovely and the staff decorate the glasses and flip the bottles and even have a smile on their face.

The final major issue we had was towards the end of the holiday we had to be out of the room by 12 pm and the transfer did not pick us up until 4.30 pm so as with any half decent hotel they offer the shower room facility however this cannot be booked until the evening prior to departure, with this in mind I headed down to reception to book a slot only to be told not available, I then said ok fine how much is it to keep our room on and I was greeted with the same unhelpful response - at this point I just wanted to leave the hotel I asked for the manager and after 20 mins negotiating he agreed to provide us with a room to shower in 1 hour before departure,I walked away from the desk feeling quite pleased with myself. The time came to go to reception to get the key for the shower room and once again I was told no shower room available use the public shower in the gym. This just tipped me over the edge how can they even think of suggesting a 19 year old girl should shower in a public shower with all the prevy staff hanging around. Once again I found myself having a standoff in reception, this time I was there a good 45 mins and it was only when I started informing all new arrivals of how rubbish the hotel is that I finally got my own way and after waiting another 20 mins we finally got to shower before the flight.

You will also see lots of good comments about Susie the "Guest Relations" lady, I have to be completely honesty and say that it felt to us like each time she spoke to us she just wanted to put a tick in her box to say she had spoken with us. Whenever I complained to her she just came back with excuses and did not really care about the issue. In summary I would not go back to this hotel if you paid me and it is a real shame as it it beautiful it is just the service and staff really let it down - we also heard many people round the pool having similar issues to us.

P.S -The entertainment is rubbish

Room Tip: Get a room in the main hotel unless you like a hike in the morning
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,068)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

just back from a great week despite 2 days of cloudy weather (usually unheard of), the hotel is fantastic, the staff so friendly and helpful, nothing seemed too much bother. the room 2235 was excellent as was the roof garden with pools. the food was varied each night and of a good standard. the only downside in its location is that its away from the sea although a free shuttle bus is provided to take you to a rocky reef area where the snorkeling is fantastic and sunbeds provided, the bus also goes to a beach area where i found a little disappointing as it was in a large bay, maybe just me but i expected a seaside beach, anyway would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I arrived here with my partner and son on the 31st of July and stayed for 2 weeks and would like to thank all the staff who made the holiday so enjoyable. From the moment we arrived at reception all the staff were attentive and professional. Thank you Carim,We checked in just as the restaurant was closing but were taken to the restaurant and were immediately impressed by the service. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff even though it was 9.30 and they had been working all day, (Thank you Ahmed and Aymem).
After our meal we were shown to our room 1106 and were relieved the air con worked properly. The room was clean and was subsequently cleaned every day, (Thank you Gabriel). There have been some complaints from guests about the grouting but so what, some people just like to complain for complaining sake. To be honest I was amazed at the pettiness of some of the complaints. Well I want to complain about the complainers, they rabbit on about the hotel not being five stars, which I personally think it is. I have stayed in various other hotels in Sharm and this is one of the best. It amuses me that people are comparing this to UK hotels when they have only payed Buttlins money for their holiday. The service from the staff is certainly five stars.
The food is good there is a choice every night of fried steak, grilled chicken, fish, and stews and roasts. Beautiful deserts and loads of fresh fruits and salads, and homemade breads. What’s not to like. The chefs do a great job at trying to vary the meals and provide a different theme every night and should be commended for their efforts not criticised. It became obvious that the people that were complaining about the lack of variety were the ones who piled their plates with everything on the menu. No wonder they thought there was a lack of variety; they tried to eat everything in one sitting. We ate at the hotel every night without any problems but for a change we went to the Fares sea food restaurant just down the road and were all sick I certainly won’t be going there again.
There are four pools but the ones on the roof are the best. The animation team utilise one of these and do their best to keep people entertained.(Well done guys and girl). There is a bar on the roof and a roof top restaurant where you can order a variety of things like burgers and grilled chicken, all served with fries and salad.
We never had a problem with service the staff are really busy but keep a smile on their face and are always polite. My boy loved the barmen who are very busy, but they always made time for him and made him special cocktails which he thought was great. It made his holiday. Thank you all.
In the evening there is entertainment in both the reception bar and the roof top bar which was adequate and sometimes amusing.
There are two beaches available the sandy beach where you can get the all inclusive service and the corral beach. We preferred the corral beach as you can snorkel and dive from this beach. It has a variety of restaurants to eat in i.e. an Italian and beech bar where a large pizza is only a couple of quid. There is an excursion hut and a diving centre run from this beach which is called Sinai Rose and run by Mohamed who is very professional. All the staff here are very polite and not pushy like the majority of them.
You can book excursions through the hotel which is the safest option or you can book them outside but be careful a lot of them are selling inadequate tours. Time safari which is an excursion operator just across the road from the hotel is good and much cheaper than the hotel. We used him without any problems. The only problem we did encounter was with Omar riding school who charged us £20 English for a DVD and when we got home there was nothing on it. I couldn’t give a stuff about the money but I had a very disappointed little boy the dirty robbing b-----------s. Please be wary of all the Egyptians outside the hotel they will all try and rob you, especially, in Naama Bay. Do not under any circumstances’ enter any of their perfume oil shops. I heard some horror stories about them locking people in and not letting them out until they have purchased a load of rubbish. One guy was chased down the road while they shouted abuse at him and his young wife. He was really shaken by it. Be warned they have devious ways of trying to get you into their shops; you have to be on your guard all the time. You would be much better advised to go to Soho Square, (about 50LE) for a taxi and a much better experience, no hassle at all and the prices are not much different. There is a shopping Bazzar opposite the hotel but do not go there it is notorious for robbing people. There are a variety of shops just outside the hotel which are no bother, but a word of warning, the guys who run the supermarket will rob you as they did me and others until we started calculating things before getting to the till.
Brill Holiday and a big thank you to all the staff and management. Hope to see you soon.
Colin Jackie and Dom

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

So we looked on trip advisor before we booked this holiday (we always do this as a safety measure!) and one thing that i noticed was people constantly talking about a woman called Susie, who had resovled any problems that they had, that she was helpful, polite, friendly and always took time to talk to you and ask you how your holiday was going and if everything was ok.
Now, our first room that we we're given was not what we expected, it was clean and comfortable but was some distance from the main hotel , which we we're not informed of. So on the first morning we had our "rep talk" and whilst this was going on, Susie came over. I explained the issue and asked her if she could help, to which she responded give me 15 mins. Now, although i had to pay an upgrade fee (more than reasonable!!) 45mins later we we're in a room in the main hotel which was fantastic. And that about sums up this hotel. Susie sets the standard to which every member of staff has to live up to, and they do. The facilities are great (4 pools ) there was always a great choice of food (which was always of a high standard), plenty of local shops, the Italian ala carte restaurant is fantastic and amazing value for money (as is the chinese!)

We plan to go back here next year, and book direct with the hotel as this will be cheaper.
I firmly believe that first impressions count, and with a member of staff like Susie who aims (and in our case succeeded!) to make guests welcome and ensure that their stay is enjoyable this hotel will attract many more visitors, who i have no doubt will go back time and time again. Her local knowledge and tips proved invaluable and she ensured that we had a fantastic relaxing break. Susie is not only a credit to the hotel , but also an invaluable asset !!

Missing the sun !

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the main hote, make sure that you check with you travel agent, can recommend r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed for 14 days at the beginning of October 2012 for our annual vacation, me and my mum. The hotel has a special architecture and it's situated in a good location. Can find a promenade a couple minutes of walk out the hotel with plenty of restaurants and shops. We choose a deluxe room situated in the main building which was very good, very clean and had the own pool, not crowded, so we spent there many relaxing moments at the sun.
The staff was helpful and friendly during our stay, ready to solve any problems or needs, if they are.
The restaurant were clean and simple with enough variety at meal times. Has also a nice garden where the guests can eat and enjoy the sunny days.
You can take the bath sun all day along on the roof pools and in the evening admiring the city view from the top. The main regret was not to have the Red Sea near by, but the hotel has two private beaches at 10 minutes distance where you can reach by free bus (one of the beaches has a great variety of corals).
Special thanks to the front office manager and also the restaurant manager, always around there, for made our holiday very pleasant and in accordance with our expectations. We promised to come back....

Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here with my mum from 12-22 Oct.
What can I say. The hotel is lovely. Cannot fault it in any way at all.
The roof top pool is wonderful (nearer to the sun). Spent all our time at the adult end.
Had lunch in the rooftop snack bar each day. As easier than going all the way down to main restaurant.
Only a few meals to choose from but ample for a lunchtime snack. Chicken sandwich was nice followed by mixed ice cream.

Only downside was quite a few people were ill with dodgy tummy"s. I don't think that this was anything to do with the food at the hotel as we did speak to another guest who looked round the kitchens and said that they were spotless.
The illness I"m sure was spread from person to person. I never saw one person sanitising their hands on entering the dining room. The hand cleanser is on a wall which you would not notice.

At previous hotels i have stayed at there is a member of staff ensuring that guests cleanse hands before entering the dining room.

Me and my mum were both in bed for 24 hours with upset tummy's and have NEVER been ill at previous hotels.

Cannot comment on the entertainment as this was on the roof terrace each night. Did not venture up there after dark, as everyone that did was getting eaten alive by mossies. Was happy to sit in the lobby bar for a few drinks after dinner.

Would recommend this hotel but would not return as like to try different hotels each time.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the main building as other guests said that rooms a quite a walk away.
Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

What a fantastic two weeks we have just enjoyed in your hotel.OK it is not English 5 star,but where is in Egypt?On arriving at the hotel in the early hours we were greeted by friendly staff who upgraded our room on the first floor as my daughter was on crutches.Many thanks for that!The room was quite spacious and clean.The hotel has four pools which was excellent as it provided good exercise for my daughter's leg through her swimming.We spent most time in the quieter rooftop pool which was a sun trap.Thanks to Wallid for looking after us.BE up early in a morning as sun hours are between 6.30 and 17.00.A lot of people liked to stay in bed and therefore moaned when no lounges were available!What do you expect at 10.30 in the morning?Two buses go to beaches,one is sandy and all inclusive the other is coral.We saw some fantastic fishes while snorkelling.I also recommend the Seascape submarine boat trip from the sandy beach.The food in the hotel was superb with brilliant waiter service throughout.Many of the waiters would bring my daughter her food when she had picked what she wanted.The lobby bar was also excellent,i only had to put my glass down and it was re-filled.Naama Bay is the usual hustle-bustle.Susan does a great job in guest relations sorting out minor imperfections.
Overall we had a fantastic time and would book this hotel again.
Only two complaints.
ETS Rep Karim was a complete waste of space.
The newspaper seller was rude and ignorant most times pretending not to understand English,but he was very fluent.

Room Tip: Get a room near the small pool behind the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Iberotel Il Mercato? Share your experiences!