“A great place to chill out” 5 of 5 stars

Melia Sharm Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Montazah, Ras Nusrani Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 154, Egypt   |
Ranked #93 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A great place to chill out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have to say after reading some of the reviews on here that I wonder if some people are reviewing the same hotel! I stayed at the Melia Sharm for 2 weeks from 15 - 29 July with my daughter and my husband and we had a truly relaxing and enjoyable stay.

As soon as we arrived at around 10 in the evening instead of the expected 8 o'clock after our plane was delayed, the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and check in literally took a couple of minutes in which they also informed us that as the restaurant was now closed the hotel had arranged for refreshments to be sent to our room. We had literally just got in the door when the food arrived! A lovely touch and much appreciated after our flight.

The room was perfectly acceptable but we did upgrade to a suite the following day as a personal preference for more space nothing more. We were not disappointed in Room 5123 as it had loads of room and a beautiful view of the sea and Tiran Island (3 balconies no less!) If you can afford it definately upgrade as it made our stay even more enjoyable.

Housekeeping do a great job and any requests (extra pillows etc.) were dealt with straightaway. These guys have one of the less glamourous roles in the hotel but no less important. They always acknowledge you and have a ready smile - my thanks to them.

The hotel grounds are stunning and very well kept and the pool area was lovely. Some sunbeds and parasols could do with replacing as this does seem to get a negative reaction judging by some reviews on here. Perhaps the management are looking into this as it seems a fairly simple thing to do to make a great improvement on peoples perceptions of the hotel rating.

The food was great and there was always something to choose and it was always tasty and well presented. My special thanks go to Hakim in the Spices restaurant. This man is a true gentleman and it was a pleasure to have met him. Always ensuring you had a suitable table and drinks served quickly (sometimes without asking - he was that good!) Very professional!

I would also like to mention Mimo (massage area) and Hassan (Spa) as these two individuals were very entertaining and pleasure to see every day. Always smiling and friendly. Yes they do ask you if you want treatments etc but they have to make a living! Just be firm but nice and say no and you will still make a couple of friends.

The pool staff I have to agree were the only complaint I have as the few times we used it we were seen but ignored for about 5 minutes before being served even though we smiled at them and waited patiently. Ramadan was the worst. Have no idea why he should be like that.

The complete opposite were the guys in the lobby bar with Emad being my favourite to single out. He was truly lovely. Polite and very professional, we never had to wait for drinks as he would see us approaching and tell us to go and sit down while he brought our drinks to us. If you put your glass down empty it was refilled within a couple of minutes without even asking?

In summary this was a great holiday enjoyed by all 3 of us and although it was nice to go home at the end of it I am already missing the staff, atmosphere and the stunning views and would definately 100% go back.

I found Ekaterina, the guest experience manager to be very approachable, friendly and helpful and my special thanks go to her for the wonderful anniversary surprise cake delivered to our room! Such a nice touch!

Final advice - do tip when you are happy with the service - it costs you little but most of the staff really do deserve it!

Room Tip: Room 5123 - A suite with stunning views - cute pet lizards on the balcony! And a peregrine falcon v...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are grateful to you for selecting Meliá Sharm hotel for spending your vacation time as well as for sharing your detailed feedback.
Your comments were presented to the Management Team and the staff.
Our team is pleased to know we have managed to make your holiday a memorable one and have met all your expectations.
Thank you again for your high evaluation of our efforts.
It will be our great pleasure to welcome you again at your second home- Meliá Sharm.
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just returned from this hotel 7-14 Aug and feel very angry!, hotel is never a five star as stated in the Thomas Cook brochure which I feel was miss-sold to us, very poor finish in the hotel generally, handles hanging off, bathroom in poor state of repair, shower either scalding hot or freezing, very poor food and and drink selection and very limited hours, pool cleanliness and repair condition substandard, several staff very rude to guests unless your standing with a tip in your hand, gym was not a gym just a room with 3 broken machines and very poor equipment, hidden charges for activities which were clearly not listed as chargeable in the brochure, both the local taxi supplier and the man who sells the newspapers have a different price for whoever they sell to!. On occasions wild dogs roamed freely in the hotel grounds. AVOID !!!!!

Room Tip: BOOK A DIFFERENT HOTEL and save yourself the dissapointment
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about stay in Meliá Sharm Hotel.
Comments of our guests are very important for us and we take it very seriously.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the not expected experience during your stay.
I have shared your review with the Management Team and please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.
About the Gym, due to high temp of the operation during all year some machines temporary were out of order. The special sign was fixed on the equipment. For present moment all machines are fixed and working in proper way.
Once again our apology for the inconvenience.
We appreciate your valuable feedback.
Tyne and Wear
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The members of your team who have shown me and family and outstanding service who need to be recognised are the following:

Animation Team:

Janette has an outstanding positive mannerism, who is cheerful and devoted to her role. She has always tried to ensure both myself and my family are happy during the day and night.

Jullianna is an absolute delight and her talents at this hotel are completely wasted. She goes well above her job description and in my opinion her management of children, demeanour and attitude deserves her to be promoted a Animation Manager as her skills and abilities out way the current animation manager who thinks it is acceptable to walk into kids club where children are and scream and shout at his staff.

Restaurant/ O Grill:

Nazih has impeccable standards and runs a tight ship. His skills and abilities are outstanding and since he moved into the main restaurant we have seen a massive improvement. He is not only and excellent supervisor but the staff he manages look up to him and this is easy to see. He is the best manger I have seen at this hotel.

Salem, Mohammed and Mosfa have perfect service and are always aiming to please. They are highly skilled individuals who have impeccable standards and were absolutely wonderful to my children ensuring they had everything they needed.

Towel and Pool Control:

Mohammed who is the pool gentleman at the top pools is exemplary, always ensuring we had everything we needed and looked after all of our children things. Excellent service.

Lobby Bar:

Mina, Raed and Farah are wonderful and always ensuring we are happy, laughing and have a service with a smile. They made our holiday.

I hope that these recommendations and employee recognitions are actioned in a timely and quick manner.

Yours Sincerely

Claire
Room 6207 (24/07/13 - 14/08/13)

Dear Mrs. Claire,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I have shared your comments with the Departments of the Hotel and the staff.
We appreciate and respect your opinion.
We are glad to learn that the staff members made your stay a pleasent one and we will thank all of them for the effort and dedication.
Once again thank you for detailed and valuable feedback and attention to the Hotel staff members.
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I spent 2 weeks at this hotel from end of July to mid August and I am glad to be home, the hotel is very dirty, the pools were never cleaned and on 3/4 occasions 5 stray dogs were in the kids pool, dirty plates lying at bottom of stairs for days, even seen a rat, never a 5 star hotel, the decor was not finished to a high standard which you would expect in a 5 star hotel, staff in the lobby bar were very rude with the exception of Mina he was great and always had time for you. Locked out our room several times and had to wait over 20 mins for something to be done about it. They never catered for kids at night for food. The only good thing about hotel was the Spa my husband and myself get a full body massage, I went for the full treatment which was great, they even threw in a mini massage for my daughter for free. The guy that sells the papers makes up the prices as he goes along, one day he wanted 200le the next it was 300le. I walked along to the Baron Palms and what a difference very clean, even spoke to a few guest and they say it was first class service, so maybe the Melia brand need to take a leaf out of there book and improve there hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Meliá Sharm for your vacation, as well for taking the time to write about your recent experience.
We are very sorry that you experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. At Meliá Sharm we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us.
Meliá Sharm is a 5* Hotel which belong to an International company with more than 350 Hotels all over the world. Our business is legal and based on law and hospitality procedures.
All hotel areas are under regular cleaning, control and supervision. Every pool which is located on the territory has schedule for cleaning and special treatment two times per day. Also water inside each pool is under control of hygiene outside company and safe for guests.
I have shared your comments with F&B Director, who will take nesessary action with the Bar staff and will increase supervision of their behavior.
We appreciate and respect your opinion.
Once again thank you for the review.
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner and I, both in our twenties, really enjoyed our stay at the Melia Sharm, although it could benefit from improvement in a couple of areas.

The Hotel Itself
The lobby and grounds are stunning, brilliantly designed. It really is beautiful. The rooms are pretty nice but probably not what we would call 5 star standard. Another reviewer's comments were fair in that there were not high standards with the room cleaning- the balcony was never cleaned and the bathroom smelled damp. In addition, the cleaners kept forgetting to provide us with more toilet roll- was a nuisance to keep asking! Aside from this, rooms were good. Decent size telly, we loved watching the fox movies channel before dinner each evening!

Food and Drink
Great selection of drinks on the all inclusive, pleased there was unlimited bottles of water available. We tended to stick to this plus the juices as we aren't big drinkers. Food was very good on the whole, good variety, liked the meat station where they would cut off huge amounts of meat for you from the bone- beef, lamb etc. Some nice stews, shepherds pies, fish, chicken and rice. Some of the soups also lovely. Dessert not really catered towards English people but lots of funny cakes etc to try if you fancy it! Loved the profiteroles myself. Breakfast was pretty good, although no baked beans and only 'beef bacon'. Lots of healthy choices always, steamed meat and veg, salads, fruit.

Daytime
The pools were much busier than the beach, head to the beach for peace and quiet. If you want beds by the pool be prepared to get up very early or tip the pool attendants. By around 7:30am they have put towels down for people who have paid them. Always plenty of beds on the beach. By the pool the animation team are always dancing/ throwing kids in the pool/ trying to make people take part in activities and there is quite a funny dj for the pool bar. Quite clubby music. On the beach you can paddle in the shallow water which is about a foot deep but if you want to swim in the sea you will need to go down the jetty, the reef just drops off and it's quite thrilling to swim in the deep water. Most people use snorkels and/or goggle and flippers. There are always men walking round offering trips/massage/henna tattoos/newspaper/photography/diving. A firm 'no thank you' does work.

Night time
There was some form of entertainment on each night, some nights better than others. We tended to watch from a distance and do our own thing. Most people head to bed around 11 in order to get up early for the sun.

Extra Activities
We took the trip on the glass bottom boat which was fab- a little scary getting to it on a speedboat though! Also had an hour long full body massage for £20 each including facial. You can have it under the canopy or privately in the spa. I specifically asked for a lady massage therapist. SoHo square is very modern and well worth a visit, Naama Bay not so much. We had so much hassle and stress in Naama bay that we ended up eating and drinking in Maccies and then Hard Rock Cafe to waste time until our taxi arrived. Shop owners hassled us so much, shouting, following us and one even told us to 'go back to your own country' when we refused to go in his shop. So go for SoHo over Naama Bay. There are other activities in the hotel for example banana boat, and trips for example quadbiking but we favoured a more relaxing holiday.

In our experience the service was mixed. The lobby bar staff were fairly friendly, as were beach bar and reception staff. Restaurant staff were really lovely (no we didn't tip!) but staff at the pool bar were not so nice and had favourite guests. Service did seem to decline in our last 3 days when ramadan finished and the hotel became much busier. I even had to 'kick off' at our second italian meal, 2 days before we came home, as service was terrible, we asked to take away the rest of our pizzas. They insisted that it be taken to our room by room service, it took a bit of foot stamping to allow us to just take the food away! Very ridiculous. On the whole though staff were very good.

A 4/5 hotel. Would highly recommend although some areas require improvement. Lovely holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
In Meliá Sharm we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for. With this aim in mind, comments such as yours are of the greatest importance and assistance to us.
I have shared the review with F&B Director and I assure you that necessary actions are being taken immediately at the Pool Bar and Italian Restaurant. We will increase supervision of the staff as satisfaction of guests is our commitment.
We appreciate your valuable comments and hope to welcome you again in the future.
Kings Cliffe, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the melia shark for 7 long days from the 21st July 2013

When you arrive at the hotel you are wowed by the grounds and hotel. However it becomes apparent very quickly that all is not what it seems...

We paid for a 5 star honeymoon experience but what we received was at best 3 star camping.

The hotel was dirty, rooms were skimmed across when it came to cleaning, maintenance is not kept up with the size of the hotel, the glasses/ cups that the drink was served in were stained and split, the sun loungers were dirty, parasols were torn and ridiculous to put up, offered very little in the shade department once you got them up.

Food, well where do you start, bland, half cooked, reheated, you got the same every night just with a different name, no where near the 5 star level you expect.. Show cooking is reheated pasta in a watered down sauce slopped around in a pan in front of you.

We went on a couple of trips both managed to produce far better and tasty food than the hotel in not easy environments.

Staff, some were lovely mainly the younger ones, but in the whole the rule of thumb is you tip you get service you don't then you won't .

We found the majority to be rude and unhelpful, they have no problem calling you names and then laughing at you when they are clearly talking about you.

The hotel is listed as 24 hour all inclusive but that does not include tea & coffee in your room our drinking water topped up, if you want that you have to pay or get it yourself from the main bar.

Entertainment, what entertainment!!! Basic things like pool are charged.

I know life is about expectations.... After booking a 5 star Style hotel our expectations were a clean luxury hotel, with a good selection of food and drinks, friendly staff, entertainment, and a memorable honeymoon.

We choose the Melia share based on these expectations, but alas this was not the case, in fact far from it.

In the whole choose a different hotel you will probably have a better holiday...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Meliá Sharm for your special vacation, as well for taking the time to share your recent experience.
We are very sorry that your experience did no meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. At Meliá Sharm we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us.
Meliá Sharm is part of an international company which comprises with an experienced team. We are qualified company selected to be in the market as a 5 Star Hotel.
The hotel is under regular control and supervision of Tour Operators, Ministry of Tourism and hygiene health and safety outside company.
I had sent a private email to you and I assure you we are committed to guest satisfaction. Please, don't hesitate to contact me for any clarifications.
Pontypool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Loved this hotel .....from the start to finish.... Arrived the 24 July for two weeks of pure bliss..... Really did not warn this holiday to end .... Right from the start reception staff fantastic .... Amir was really helpful.... But all of staff were really good ..... The room we had was loverly and clean ... Our cleaner was fab and didn't disturb us at all .... He seemed to know when we got up and out each day... The room and towels etc was changed everyday.... No complaints there.... The food was really good too plenty of choice most nights.... And she can have a bit of a banter with the chiefs carving meat and doing omelettes in the mornings loved all the food have to say..... Second stay in sharm but this was defo the best hotel .... We ate twice in the Italian restaurant and well worth the visits both times treated like royalty ...... Loved the rose wine there....we thought the entertainment was really good too .... Singers , fire shows , karaoke , something different each night ... Beach party 11 pounds ...but worth it snake show and dancing..... We went on two trips and worth wevery penny did the snorkelling Tirana island ..... Loverly photos ..... Also did the stargazing which was our favourite ...... Right from the camel ride... Hilarious ..... To the food .... To our guide who was fantastic to our stargazing another fantastic guide and so so funny and really knew his stuff..... All in alll a fantastic afretnoon / evening ..... .. All in all a fantastic hotel and holiday .... Would we go again you bet your bottom dollar............. Please please if we book next year can we have a sea view...... We didn't get one this year but our room was quite ans still fantastic.........

Room Tip: We had room 5151 a little sea view..... But very quite and private which was what we like so there w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel as your vacation destination and sending your feedback.
We are glad to know you have really enjoyed two weeks stay with us.
I have shared your review with all Departments of the hotel and we will thank all staff for making your stay a pleasent one.
Please, don't hesitate to contact me before your next visit with regards about the room location.
Guest Experience Manager

Been to Melia Sharm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!