“The Animation Team Were Great” 5 of 5 stars

Melia Sharm Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Montazah, Ras Nusrani Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 154, Egypt   |
Ranked #93 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“The Animation Team Were Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We arrived on 12 November 2012 and i got to say the hotel was a 5 star with nice gardens and nice pools would like to say big thank you to the animation team Aimee Danny and Alex they were very helpful and if you talk to them they will make you laugh and happy there was one person on the animation team thow who i personally thought was quite rude think his name was Nikita and although i dont have anything against other nationalitys but thought he was bit rude towards English people so my advice is to copy the whole team talk to everyone rather than your own.
The pool staff was very good also a thank you to Amhed and Bahaa always made jokes and happy to serve drinks. The food in the hotel was what you expected in the buffet im personally a fussy eater so there wasnt really much for my self or my mum who is a vegetarian which in any buffet should be optional if you do decide to come to this hotel make sure you find Saleem who works in the buffet restaurant give him little tip and he will always make sure you have drinks on your table and he is a funny character. In the lobby bar there all good bunch people a thank you to Meena who was very helpful the only one i didnt like was there boss as he was very towards us from the start . Would i come to this hotel again if i ever come back to Egypt my answer would be yes thanks to all staff (if i forgoton any names sorry) for a great holiday
from Lee and Diane ps send some weather please to England it would be appreciated lol

Room Tip: my room was 3208 was very quiet and nice view of the sea
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about stay in Melià Sharm Hotel.
Your comments are very important for us.
I’ve shared your comments with the staff and the Management Team.
We are glad to learn that your experience was a positive one.
It is our commitment.
We hope to welcome you again at Meliá Sharm.
Assistant Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Can not belive that people moan about this hotel, stunning scenery, staff that are always helpful and talk to you. Can't think of anything bad to say. The food- there is always something to eat. Think that people that moan about the food are just greedy. The O grill place is fantastic, if your Thomas cook you eat for free, so have lunch there then dinner in the main restaurant. The Italian restaurant is also good, 1 visit per week. The Animation team are brilliant, always bubbly. Feel that the hotel could maybe show them a bit more respect for what they do for the guests. Alex and Danny were the one's that stood out for us. Down on the beach at their little hut is Mohammed, who does all the water sports. He is fantanstic, has a brilliant way of dealing with you. Will talk to you about what he offers, then leaves you alone no hassle. Even gave my new wife some perfume to celerbrate our honeymoon. Try snorkeling. Had an amazing time and would so go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Comment of every our guest is very important for us. We share it with all the team. It is our pleasure to provide best quality service to our customers.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have just got back from a 10 day stay in the melia sharm november 2012. Firstly i dont know how people can be so petty and slate little things so dont be put off by some ov these reviews. Firstly on arrival you are recieved with a friendly greeting and a welcome drink and get told some infomation about the hotel, the only thing that was missing was maybe a map as the hotel is so big me and my friend found we were walking round abit bewildered for the 1st few days so grab a map it helps. There is a welcome meeting but we missed it so i would say go to it as it would have benifited us.
The rooms were clean and a good size and were cleaned everyday with fresh towels etc, we had a lovely sea view to appreciate aswell. Dont put your room card near water or a phone as you cant get in your room saves yours legs to and from reception.
The food for me and my friend we found quite repetative and abit difficult to find something we liked as we are typical british and like our home food, but we got by and expected this as we were in a different cultured country, appart from that there was alot available to cater for all nationalites.
One thing that stood out to us was how friendly all the bar staff were in the sway bar and restaraunts, they work so hard and dont get enough praise for what they are actually doing,there a credit to the hotel especially menia and ahmed (young waiter) in the sway bar.
The animation team were all really friendly and 2 especially that went well out of there way to alot of guests in this hotel was Danny and Amy they worked extremely hard and made alot of peoples holiday while we were out there, a couple of days before we were due to fly home we found out that the lovely Amy had been sacked... absolutley shocking!! She and Danny are 2 of the nicest people you could meet, melia sharm has lost a good member of staff and another hotel is going to gain 1. Whoever dismissed her should be ashamed over 1 stuck up review! Also from amys dismissal the hotel has gained alot more negative reviews, says it all really!
The grounds of the hotel and pools were lovely cant say anything bad about that. You can choose between a couple of quiet pools or the louder one and a heated pool depending on what suits yourself, just take note you will get hassaled for the first few days if you want any trips massages etc fair enough if you dont just be polite say no thank you and they leave you to it. The snorkolling is amazing a must do the fish and coral our beautiful many mornings me and my friend went and payed a visit. The beach was nice too sand sea what more do you want.
One thing i would also say is take some insect repellent with you as alot of people we got talking to got a fair few bites we were the lucky ones as we got away with none.
Overall a very relaxing holiday just what we wanted, go with an open mind and decide for yourself. Holidays are what you make of them.
We would return again but the only thing that would prevent us returning is the way the hotel managers treat there staff.
PS Danny keep smiling and keep doing what your doing, your fab.
Faye and Jenn :D

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Meliá Sharm for your vacation, as well for taking the time to write about your recent experience.
Your feedback is very important for us.
Your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel and the staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.
The map of the Hotel will be available soon for all guests.
Regarding the Animation Team, we appreciate your opinion. However The Team is under Management of outside company. It is internal decision about staff transfer and regulation.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.
Stanford le Hope, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed in the Melia Sharm hotel in November 2012, and we loved it! The hotel is beautiful and completely makes you oblivious to the outside building site of Sharm. The room we was given was outstanding, the view was amazing offering a pool and sea view of the hotel, the rooms are a very good size and offer a coffee and tea facilities, a multi national television, a mini bar and a king size bed. The only problem we had with the room was that every other All Inclusive hotel we have stayed in the mini bar is refilled daily for free, but in the Melia you have to pay for refills!

The hotel main attraction to us was the animation team which consist of members of different nationalities such as English, Turkish and Russian. Due to the fact we are an English family the two English animation team members introduced themselves to us on our first day, Danny and Aimie were fantastic to us and made our day! Danny was such a nice down to earth person and felt like a brother to me, he helped me make friends with other English people (two girls from Wakefield and four Essex lads) he even took time out for his work on his day off to come to the water park in Sharm called Cleo Park, he truly is one of the nicest people me and my family have ever met while being on holiday! The Melia Sharm should feel proud to have him on there team! While we was there the British female Animation team member Aimie was sacked from the hotel due to a review on this site, it was a sad moment for most of the British holiday makes in the hotel because the night before her and Danny made the beach party for me and my family!

We are considering going back for new year just to see Danny, due to the fact me and my family cried after leaving him it was such a sad moment ! So if anyone from the Melia Shark sees this please understand that Danny for us sells you as being the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We hope to see you again soon Danny!

• Stayed November 2012
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you to choice Meliá Sharm for your stay in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
It is very important for us your opinion and comments and we take it very seriously.
Thank you for the review.
Regarding mini bar refilling, it is not included in All Inclusive formula.
Upon arrival every guest has completed mini bar free of charge, refilling during the stay is available 24 hours with Room Service. All Inclusive package is an individual formula for every Hotel and we kindly recommend to review it upon Hotel reservation.
Thank you for appreciation of work of the Animation Team.
I will thank Danny for making your stay a pleasant one.
Animation Team is under management of outside company and can replace Animator if it's nesessary for operation reason.
But every member of Hotel Staff and The Team is ready to help and to assist you during the stay. Your comfort is our commitment.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I never write reviews I thorughly believe you make your own oppinions but as I travelled with a very young baby I thought I would express my views everyone states how amazing entertainment are my views are alex and lola are beyond amazing I had a sick daughter and was distressed she consoled me and checked up on us every day beyond and over her roll I need a nanny like lola for our princess alex again so welcoming these were thr main two that spoke everyday and were constantly dedicqted and really put my mind at ease
Im guessing waiters and bar staff do
Not get as much praise all I can say is magdi the man with glasses who makes bird noises is fantastic and one the best people I have met from travelling all over the world providing constant help and advice regarding medicine fornmy baby translating and everything salim also fantastic michael the bar man again amazing I will upload pictures to prove how
Amazed I am at them
Managment fantastic upgraded fornfree and an amazing
Cake
And
Fantastic flower service we are coming back next yeqr our daughterbwill be opder and maybe we wilp be included and asked to
Take part in activities once again im happy with my stay and the people who work there are amazing fantastic and were a pleasure to see and would recommed anyone with a baby to come here exceptional place and cant wait to return. Your holiday is what you make of it :)

Dear Guest,
It was our pleasure to make your stay a comfortable one.
I will also thank Animation Team for special care about your doughter.
Thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you and your family again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

absolutely loved staying at Melia Sharm this November! the hotel overall was lovely and clean! the food wasn't amazing but it was ediable! the animation team were wonderfull especially Danny and Christina, was very upset saying goodbye to them as they made our holiday! fantastic friendly people! defiantly want to visit again :)

Dear Guest,
I am glad to know that your stay at Meliá Sharm was a memorable one.
Thank you for the feedback.
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all my review is in 2 parts - one for the hotel, its staff, the services and of course the food and the overall holiday - which on the whole is faultless.

The second part of my review, sadly, will not be so generous. It relates to an issue I raised with Ekaterina Matvienko, Assistant Guest Experience Manager. The way she conducted herself, her attitude and the way she clearly lied to my face is NOT acceptable. Notwithstanding the fact that when I spoke to her regarding the issue for the second time just as I was leaving the hotel, she looked at me as though I was a child - something which irritated her - full details below - I know the hotel scan Trip Advisor and take reviews on here seriously - which is part of my complaint, so I hope my issues are treated the same way as the one I raised has been dealt with ....... I hope the General Manager responds to this review - having heard from other guests about the attitude of this lady and seeing her mannerisms and eventually experienced it myself, I did ask to speak to someone other than her but unfortunately she was the one I ended up speaking to, hence, my decision to speak to the Thomas Cook Rep in resort and to contact Thomas Cook now I am back home.

The hotel, its staff and their service were fantastic.

Room - our room was perfectly adequate - certainly not luxurious, but is was cleaned everyday, bins were emptied, beds made and towels replaced. The only problem was there were three of us but only 2 bath towels. One day we asked for an additional towel to be delivered and somehow they delivered an extra 4 the same evening so we managed - just - but something for the hotel to note I think. The TV worked and the balcony had a good view of the gardens and we could also see the sea. The point of a holiday to me is to spend time outside as you can't in the UK - so as long as it is comfortable and clean, I'm happy. We did report a fault to reception during our second week regarding a leaking water pipe off the back of the toilet but nothing was done to replace it while we were there.

Food - The food was acceptable. There are certainly no starvation victims in this hotel. It is not gourmet dining but you won't go hungry. I don't eat meat or fish, therefore, I restrict myself on the type of food I will eat on holiday. My partner and son are both a little more willing to try new things - they did not starve either. It was okay. I would never judge a holiday on the food - unless it was exceptionally poor. Food in other countries is cooked and presented in different ways - some of the people who want bacon and eggs and sausage and mash really need to go to Blackpool and not abroad because wherever you go you are never going to get UK style food if you get on a plane. I'm not saying it isn't repetitive or to everyone's taste but most people like bread, fruit, salad, pizza, rice, fish or chicken - plus there is plenty of other food to choose, so I cannot understand people who slate the food completely. The hotel are concerned about feedback on food and are trying to give people what they want. Each and everyone of the waiters on the Spices restaurant new my son's name and took time to play and talk with him. I spoke to the guy my son knew as Mango - this guy is a saint - he brought my son strawberries, chicken, juice, crisps - I don't know what more he could have done - fantastic service - thank you so much! The Grill restaurant is also very good - if anything the food is better here at lunch time. Again the waiters were amazing and we sometimes bumped into Mango much to my son's delight. The bar staff in the lobby bar are fantastic - sometimes they are so busy but they are always pleasant. On 2 occasions I heard Russian guests being extremely rude to these guys - but they acted in a professional manner and rose above other people's ignorance. Throughout our 2 weeks none of us experienced any stomach upset problems, although I must say that my son who is just 3 did observe some people using the toilets who did not wash their hands - he is three and knows to wash his hands adults should know this and it should be an automatic thing for them to do. It may be helpful though if the hotel made sure that soap dispensers were full all the time. I carried the antibacterial gel on me all the time too.

Grounds - the pool area is stunning - it is cleaned constantly. The children's pool is the largest I have ever seen. The heated pool has lovely sea views. The large pool with the swim up bar seems to have warm and cold spots depending on where the sun shines. The towel guys were always helpful and pleasant. What more can you ask? The beach is not the best I have ever been on but the sea is lovely and clear and warm. The marine life is wonderful.

Entertainment - The Animation team are brilliant. Most of them have a smile and a word each time you see them. In ALPHABETICAL order the wonderful (current) team are : Alex, Danny, Dimitri, Krystina, Lola. They get the guests moving about and playing games and bonding. These guys work hard, for very little money, a long way from home and I don't think the hotel recognise just how much the guests appreciate their presence. Even when not on duty they always stop and chat. They make a massive effort to get to know the guests and are always happy to offer advice and provide local knowledge. Lola was utterly amazing with my son - he cried when we left. Lola has a gift with children and is a very talented multi-lingual member of the team. Some of you may note that there are two names missing. One of the entertainers did not speak to me until the second to last day (oddly enough once I had mentioned this fact to Ekaterina Matvienko, Assistant Guest Experience Manager). I could say much more, but I would hate to think they would treat him as badly as they treated poor little Amy. Sadly the person missing from this review about the Animation Team, and who deserves a bucket load of credit, is Amy - the hotel (Not Sole and Luna) SACKED her for one spiteful review on this website. For the most part of hour holiday, Amy held the biggest smile of the entertainment team. She made a huge impact on guests and was certainly the talk of the British Holidaymakers on 28 and 29 November. She went out of her way to make the hotel's guests feel like individuals. The team worked well together and provided good entertainment - considering the budget they have. I think the tour operators could donate some money or more of it at the beginning of the holiday season to purchase toys, DVD's and supplies for the kids club. Lola does an excellent job with what she has but kids are kids and they never treat anything like its a precious ornament or worry if bits and pieces go missing.

Thomas Cook - what more can I say - seat pitch - not good and certainly not comfortable !!!!

All the above, with the exception of a couple of potential tweaks, has ensured that we had a fantastic holiday - thank you to all the staff who contributed.

The only thing, for us as a family which spoiled the holiday and which has prevented us booking again, over the Christmas period is the way the hotel treated Amy. On this basis alone, we will never return to this hotel or any hotel in the Melia chain.

On 28 November I spoke to Ekaterina Matvienko, Assistant Guest Experience Manager to raise my concerns that Amy was incredibly upset. Ekaterina Matvienko claimed to have no knowledge about the reason for Amy being so upset, however, I later established this was an absolute lie because she knew that Amy was in her room after being instructed to pack her things and leave. I did not expect Ekaterina to go into full details about Amy, but as an adult I do not expect to be goaded to 'speak to her myself as it may be something personal which had upset her so much' I was also advised that it was Sole and Luna who had requested Amy to be relocated to another hotel - even then I raised the question as to if this was normal practice why was she so upset - another lie!

As I was leaving the hotel I bumped into Ekaterina and told her I knew she had lied to me - her response was Can I help you, Can I help you?? At this point she looked at me like I was an annoying child - or maybe an annoying guest! She is an excellent listener BUT she does not hear what guests have to say or have any respect for them. The actual reason for Amy's distress was one spiteful review posted here on Tripadvisor and it was indeed the hotel who FIRED her. I have raised some additional food for though with the Thomas Cook Rep and Ekaterina based on what I have been told by other guests.

Melia's loss is another hotel's gain - I wish Amy well and hope you learn a lesson - the Animation team are brilliant - don't spoil a good team based purely on what is on here - we read some terrible reviews and still chose to come - people have different opinions - each person should make up their own mind. One bad review is nothing !!

A bitter sweet end I think !!!!

Room Tip: Ask for sea / pool view. We were in room 4138 and although it was near to all facilities it was ver...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MSharm, General Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Would like to highly thank you for your reviews of the stay at Meliá Sharm property. Comments such as yours are the greatest assistance to us in identifying possible problems that may exist throughout our guests and our hotel; subsequently, taking whatever corrective measures may be necessary.
First we appreciate your great praise about the hotel staff, we try our best to exceed our guests expectations and to deliver the possible excellent services.
However with regards to some of the negatives you have mentioned, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but we Would like to clarify more the misunderstanding happened with our Asst. Guest Experience Manager Ms. Ekaterina, she just tried to explain to you that an outside company is in charge of the hotel animators so we have no hand concerning their staff hiring & sacking.
For Ms. Amy we do admit that she is a good & professional animator and she is loved by hotel visitors; but unfortunately the company in charge recently received some negative feedback from guests concerning her work that’s why the company has decided to change her for keeping excellent image to the guests so it’s totally not the hotel management decision.
Therefore we are grateful to the feedback has been delivered and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience and me personally the hotel General Manager; and please be assure that we take your concerns seriously but regretfully firing this animator Amy was completely the responsibly & complete decision of the animation company not the resort management.
Again please accept my sincere apologies and we hope to welcome you again in our Meliá group.
Ahmed El Gharib

Been to Melia Sharm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!