“excellent holiday!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Montazah, Ras Nusrani Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 154, Egypt   |
Ranked #92 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“excellent holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

absolutely loved staying at Melia Sharm this November! the hotel overall was lovely and clean! the food wasn't amazing but it was ediable! the animation team were wonderfull especially Danny and Christina, was very upset saying goodbye to them as they made our holiday! fantastic friendly people! defiantly want to visit again :)

• Stayed November 2012
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am glad to know that your stay at Meliá Sharm was a memorable one.
Thank you for the feedback.
I hope to welcome you again in the future.
Assistant Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all my review is in 2 parts - one for the hotel, its staff, the services and of course the food and the overall holiday - which on the whole is faultless.

The second part of my review, sadly, will not be so generous. It relates to an issue I raised with Ekaterina Matvienko, Assistant Guest Experience Manager. The way she conducted herself, her attitude and the way she clearly lied to my face is NOT acceptable. Notwithstanding the fact that when I spoke to her regarding the issue for the second time just as I was leaving the hotel, she looked at me as though I was a child - something which irritated her - full details below - I know the hotel scan Trip Advisor and take reviews on here seriously - which is part of my complaint, so I hope my issues are treated the same way as the one I raised has been dealt with ....... I hope the General Manager responds to this review - having heard from other guests about the attitude of this lady and seeing her mannerisms and eventually experienced it myself, I did ask to speak to someone other than her but unfortunately she was the one I ended up speaking to, hence, my decision to speak to the Thomas Cook Rep in resort and to contact Thomas Cook now I am back home.

The hotel, its staff and their service were fantastic.

Room - our room was perfectly adequate - certainly not luxurious, but is was cleaned everyday, bins were emptied, beds made and towels replaced. The only problem was there were three of us but only 2 bath towels. One day we asked for an additional towel to be delivered and somehow they delivered an extra 4 the same evening so we managed - just - but something for the hotel to note I think. The TV worked and the balcony had a good view of the gardens and we could also see the sea. The point of a holiday to me is to spend time outside as you can't in the UK - so as long as it is comfortable and clean, I'm happy. We did report a fault to reception during our second week regarding a leaking water pipe off the back of the toilet but nothing was done to replace it while we were there.

Food - The food was acceptable. There are certainly no starvation victims in this hotel. It is not gourmet dining but you won't go hungry. I don't eat meat or fish, therefore, I restrict myself on the type of food I will eat on holiday. My partner and son are both a little more willing to try new things - they did not starve either. It was okay. I would never judge a holiday on the food - unless it was exceptionally poor. Food in other countries is cooked and presented in different ways - some of the people who want bacon and eggs and sausage and mash really need to go to Blackpool and not abroad because wherever you go you are never going to get UK style food if you get on a plane. I'm not saying it isn't repetitive or to everyone's taste but most people like bread, fruit, salad, pizza, rice, fish or chicken - plus there is plenty of other food to choose, so I cannot understand people who slate the food completely. The hotel are concerned about feedback on food and are trying to give people what they want. Each and everyone of the waiters on the Spices restaurant new my son's name and took time to play and talk with him. I spoke to the guy my son knew as Mango - this guy is a saint - he brought my son strawberries, chicken, juice, crisps - I don't know what more he could have done - fantastic service - thank you so much! The Grill restaurant is also very good - if anything the food is better here at lunch time. Again the waiters were amazing and we sometimes bumped into Mango much to my son's delight. The bar staff in the lobby bar are fantastic - sometimes they are so busy but they are always pleasant. On 2 occasions I heard Russian guests being extremely rude to these guys - but they acted in a professional manner and rose above other people's ignorance. Throughout our 2 weeks none of us experienced any stomach upset problems, although I must say that my son who is just 3 did observe some people using the toilets who did not wash their hands - he is three and knows to wash his hands adults should know this and it should be an automatic thing for them to do. It may be helpful though if the hotel made sure that soap dispensers were full all the time. I carried the antibacterial gel on me all the time too.

Grounds - the pool area is stunning - it is cleaned constantly. The children's pool is the largest I have ever seen. The heated pool has lovely sea views. The large pool with the swim up bar seems to have warm and cold spots depending on where the sun shines. The towel guys were always helpful and pleasant. What more can you ask? The beach is not the best I have ever been on but the sea is lovely and clear and warm. The marine life is wonderful.

Entertainment - The Animation team are brilliant. Most of them have a smile and a word each time you see them. In ALPHABETICAL order the wonderful (current) team are : Alex, Danny, Dimitri, Krystina, Lola. They get the guests moving about and playing games and bonding. These guys work hard, for very little money, a long way from home and I don't think the hotel recognise just how much the guests appreciate their presence. Even when not on duty they always stop and chat. They make a massive effort to get to know the guests and are always happy to offer advice and provide local knowledge. Lola was utterly amazing with my son - he cried when we left. Lola has a gift with children and is a very talented multi-lingual member of the team. Some of you may note that there are two names missing. One of the entertainers did not speak to me until the second to last day (oddly enough once I had mentioned this fact to Ekaterina Matvienko, Assistant Guest Experience Manager). I could say much more, but I would hate to think they would treat him as badly as they treated poor little Amy. Sadly the person missing from this review about the Animation Team, and who deserves a bucket load of credit, is Amy - the hotel (Not Sole and Luna) SACKED her for one spiteful review on this website. For the most part of hour holiday, Amy held the biggest smile of the entertainment team. She made a huge impact on guests and was certainly the talk of the British Holidaymakers on 28 and 29 November. She went out of her way to make the hotel's guests feel like individuals. The team worked well together and provided good entertainment - considering the budget they have. I think the tour operators could donate some money or more of it at the beginning of the holiday season to purchase toys, DVD's and supplies for the kids club. Lola does an excellent job with what she has but kids are kids and they never treat anything like its a precious ornament or worry if bits and pieces go missing.

Thomas Cook - what more can I say - seat pitch - not good and certainly not comfortable !!!!

All the above, with the exception of a couple of potential tweaks, has ensured that we had a fantastic holiday - thank you to all the staff who contributed.

The only thing, for us as a family which spoiled the holiday and which has prevented us booking again, over the Christmas period is the way the hotel treated Amy. On this basis alone, we will never return to this hotel or any hotel in the Melia chain.

On 28 November I spoke to Ekaterina Matvienko, Assistant Guest Experience Manager to raise my concerns that Amy was incredibly upset. Ekaterina Matvienko claimed to have no knowledge about the reason for Amy being so upset, however, I later established this was an absolute lie because she knew that Amy was in her room after being instructed to pack her things and leave. I did not expect Ekaterina to go into full details about Amy, but as an adult I do not expect to be goaded to 'speak to her myself as it may be something personal which had upset her so much' I was also advised that it was Sole and Luna who had requested Amy to be relocated to another hotel - even then I raised the question as to if this was normal practice why was she so upset - another lie!

As I was leaving the hotel I bumped into Ekaterina and told her I knew she had lied to me - her response was Can I help you, Can I help you?? At this point she looked at me like I was an annoying child - or maybe an annoying guest! She is an excellent listener BUT she does not hear what guests have to say or have any respect for them. The actual reason for Amy's distress was one spiteful review posted here on Tripadvisor and it was indeed the hotel who FIRED her. I have raised some additional food for though with the Thomas Cook Rep and Ekaterina based on what I have been told by other guests.

Melia's loss is another hotel's gain - I wish Amy well and hope you learn a lesson - the Animation team are brilliant - don't spoil a good team based purely on what is on here - we read some terrible reviews and still chose to come - people have different opinions - each person should make up their own mind. One bad review is nothing !!

A bitter sweet end I think !!!!

Room Tip: Ask for sea / pool view. We were in room 4138 and although it was near to all facilities it was ver...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MSharm, General Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Would like to highly thank you for your reviews of the stay at Meliá Sharm property. Comments such as yours are the greatest assistance to us in identifying possible problems that may exist throughout our guests and our hotel; subsequently, taking whatever corrective measures may be necessary.
First we appreciate your great praise about the hotel staff, we try our best to exceed our guests expectations and to deliver the possible excellent services.
However with regards to some of the negatives you have mentioned, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but we Would like to clarify more the misunderstanding happened with our Asst. Guest Experience Manager Ms. Ekaterina, she just tried to explain to you that an outside company is in charge of the hotel animators so we have no hand concerning their staff hiring & sacking.
For Ms. Amy we do admit that she is a good & professional animator and she is loved by hotel visitors; but unfortunately the company in charge recently received some negative feedback from guests concerning her work that’s why the company has decided to change her for keeping excellent image to the guests so it’s totally not the hotel management decision.
Therefore we are grateful to the feedback has been delivered and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience and me personally the hotel General Manager; and please be assure that we take your concerns seriously but regretfully firing this animator Amy was completely the responsibly & complete decision of the animation company not the resort management.
Again please accept my sincere apologies and we hope to welcome you again in our Meliá group.
Ahmed El Gharib
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

just spent a week in this amazing resort.. been to many places but never really fancied egypt, but after the pleasent stay in the melia sharm i will definately return to egypt!! the staff were all friendly and made the experience that more special.. Alaa always looked after us in the main reception bar and gave us all a good laugh.. my only problem was the food, constantly repetative and always cold!! if i see beef cubs ever again in my life i will cry!! Now the animation team made the holiday for me, getting everyone involved in activities and were so friendly and always full of energy and smiles.. Alex was a hoot, love the guy.. and Danny was a great laugh too.. But the one girl that stood out for me was the little darling Amy (blond girl) she made me and my family feel so special and looked after us alot.. helping us with all the hot spots... My last day in the melia was a sad one though as i found Amy had been sacked, thanks to some spitefull petty review on here! some people need to think of the consiquences before they speak and learn how to have a laugh! I am disgusted that such a good worker and a loving friendly person was pushed out because of this!! i hope the management at melia sharm are happy with them selves.. but on a plus side, another hotel wil now have an amazing girl working for them.. And for this reason i will not be returning because of the way they treat there staff!! Amy your lil princess loves you!!

MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am glad to know that your stay was an amazing one.
Comfort of your stay is very important for us.
I am very sorry to learn that the decision about the Animator transfer was not up to your taste.
It is an internal regulation according operation process.
The Animator was working with outside company and had to follow up with the company Manager decision.
Once again thank you for the feedback.
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't going to write a review but after reading some of the reviews after I came back last week I felt like I was staying in a different hotel. We returned after a week on 18th November. Some people complain about really petty things, in fact I heard a couple complain they had been bitten by mozzies so their room was fumigated then they got bit the following night so they kicked up a fuss - it transpired they left their patio door open every night as they don't like air con ....dries the air ..lol

My partner and I stayed in the Level area. Our room had a huge balcony overlooking the beach, pool and sea. The room was good and well equipped - everything you need to sleep, shower and whatever....
We enjoyed early evenings sat on the balcony watching night come in while enjoying a bottle of nice wine ( bought from the duty free shop in Soho Square ) .
The service was impeccable. I thought all the staff were wonderful and really hard working. Please and thank you in Arabic is always apppriciated even if like me your accent is a bit dodgy. We never tipped until our last day and still received great service. My only gripe about the service, if you could call it that as its about the wine really, would be in the main restaurant. The waiters know your names and your drinks etc after your first visit - this is great and makes you feel a bit pampered but the first drink I ordered in the main restaurant was white wine and it was rank - sort of warm bad sherry like, so I never wanted one again but the lovely guys in the restaurant would have one for me as soon as I walked in ... I felt so guilty not drinking it but it was rather bad even with a healthy dose of bottled water.

The wine in the O Grill, the Italian A La Carte and the Level Lounge was nice so I am not sure if in the main restaurant it's a big container or what but its best avoided.

We did not use the main pools but they looked lovely. The level pool area was quiet and perfect for us. Emad the man who looks after the pool was great and every morning had our towels on our chosen sun beds for us. I have a disability and I found that Emad could not do enough to help me eg helping in and out of the pool when my partner was away for the morning.

We used the Level lounge for breakfast. There is a buffet and anything from the room service menu is cooked to order - the omelettes are brill :-) .

On an evening, after dinner, we would go to the Level lounge again - to be fair we found the main bar a wee bit soulless although the service was great, if you wanted to sit outside it was as it is here in Britain and the terrace is used by people who smoke mainly as they can't smoke inside - it would be good if a section could be for none smokers too.
Back to the Level lounge- during the day and night this is manned by Jacky aka Emad no2 . He is ace. The atmosphere in the lounge was lovely, the cocktails perfect and such a chilled place to be. During the day there's a buffet of snacks and puddings to munch on if you don't fancy a huge lunch at the Ogrill ( O Grill food is great btw ). Jacky was the perfect host and a credit to the hotel.
This was our first winter break and the first holiday when we did nothing much really at all - a dune buggy trip at sunset , snorkelling of the jetty and a submarine trip was all. We normally hire cars and get out every day when on holiday. We found the Melia Sharm perfect for doing nothing and feeling pampered for a week - so much so we are booking to go back next year.
Loved it:-)

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choice of The Level Meliá Sharm.
We appreciate your feedback. Comfort of your stay is very important for every member of our team. I will thank all the staff for making your stay a memorable one.
I took notes of your comment regarding quality of white wine and we will pay extra attention on it. However the wine is offer of local market. Imported wine and other alcohol drinks are available at the Lobby Bar 24 hours.
I hope to welcome you again in the future.
Neath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here from 27th September - 11th October, all excited and like children in a toyshop.

My friend and I had a fantastic holiday at the Melia Sharm all thanks to Mena & Co at the Lobby Bar (we even had a laugh and a smile off Ahmed the bar manager), Danny & Aimee the British animation guys and fellow holidaymakers who we have become friends with (approx 30 new facebook friends).

We loved everything about the hotel - the grounds, the staff, the pools etc. The food does get repetative but how many different options can you have when you think about it. You had chicken, seafood, beef, lamb, potato's, pasta, salad, BBQ, what else can you have different every night!! The food was perfectly acceptable (and I am really fussy if I am honest). The only thing that was missing was bacon and british sausages but we knew we were never going to get those, not until we arrived home at 4am in the morning :) If you are booked with Thomas Cook then you get to use the O'Grill Restaurant during lunch time which is part of your all inclusive package. We didnt use the A la Carte Restaurants as couldnt be bothered to book them and never knew what we were going to be doing from one night to the next. The beach bar does one hell of an amazing kebab at lunch time, which we never found until 4 days before we left.

The spa and salon staff do approach you regularly, we had a Cleopatra package on our first full day and it was fabulous! We never got asked again about buying another massage but the same guy would come and talk to us and have a friendly 5 minute chat each day - just being friendly. We would just have a 5 minute chat and laugh with them and they wouldnt try and sell us anything else. It is their job to sell you what they can and I think that if you are friendly and polite to them they understand the word "No". We spoke to a lot of them and had a laugh and joke and they went on their way. Mohammed who sell the excursions is also a lovely guy, his trips are a lot cheaper than what we paid for the exact same thing booked with the Thomas Cook reps. If we had known before we had booked trips with Thomas cook we would have booked with him.

All in all we have a holiday of a lifetime and were devastated to be leaving. Tears flowed - the lot! We loved Mena - still chat with him on facebook now :) Danny & Aimee were amazing and we had some fantastic nights out in Naama Bay with them both - they are soooooo much fun, never stopped laughing. The holiday wouldnt have been the same without them!! There is very little evening entertainment and what there is is a joke so we made our own fun with Mena and the bar staff, Danny, Aimee and the other guests. I think the hotel was glad to see us all leave on the same plane!

I loved it so much I am now leaving the UK to go over and work there and cant wait to see Danny (my little bro), Aimee (gaping wounds) and Mena (my kingsize shark).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Comment of every our guest is very important for us.
We share it with all the team. It is our pleasure to provide best quality service to our customers.
Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Booked into a grand premium room , it was filthy , hairs in bed , dirty mirrors , litter on balcony
Location nice , pool nice and staff nice
Food appealing , smash and grab but not good quality
Clientele and I am not a snob in the main were tattoed smoking Russians wearing beachwear
Not in a million years was this 5 star
Moved to Barons Resort , paid an extra £259 for two , what a difference , superb
Can bow enjoy the holiday

• Stayed November 2012
MSharm, Manager at Melia Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am very sorry to learn that our services were not up to your standards.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience in the room.
Every room is checked by floor supervisor before guest arrival and clean according nesessary standards. Also every member of our Team at guest disposal to fix any issues.
Grand Premium Room is a standard room with direct view to the Red Sea. If you prefer room of bigger size or with upgraded facilities, I kindly recommend to book a Junior Suite or The Level room.
Regarding food quality, we are trying to satisfied taste of all guests from different countries. However, we are very sorry if this did not please you.
As a Resort Hotel, we haven't got hard dress code rules for our guests. Wet and swim clothes is not allowed in indoor areas.
Thank you for your comments.
street
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks arriving on the 5th november. we were abit worried after reading the reviews before we left as we had never been to egypt before. but we soon forgot are worries as it was truly amazing and will be booking again for next year! the hotel staff will do absolutely anything to help you and all you have to do is ask. the food is very good we had no problems with that at all. the hotel is beautiful and the pools are amazing just a tad cold. the sea was very warm though and we went snorkeling every day as the fish are stunning. the room was lovely and looked out on to the sea and the lights in the distance the other way. it was room 4121. we have a massive thank you to say to mena in the lobby bar as he made are holiday even more fun as he is so funny and will bring your drinks over as soon as he sees you. he was ill for a few days when we there with a cold but he never let that get him down and smiled constantly. please pass on to him that he is amazing and we made a true friend in the two weeks we were there.the only bad thing about the holiday was the pestering from the spa, beauty and trip people. they just dont take no for an answer and its very anoying. sometimes we found ourselfs jumping in the pool so we could avoid them hassling us.
thank you again for a truly amazing holiday and we will be back again next year without a doubt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am glad to learn that your holiday at Meliá Sharm was an amazing one.
I've shared your review with all Management Team and especially F&B Director to thank Mena for great help and assistance to you during the stay.
Comments of every guest are of the greatest importance and assistance to us.
I look forward to welcome you back,
Assistant Guest Experience Manager

Been to Melia Sharm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!