“Sushi and Cocktails” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
“Sushi and Cocktails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This outside restaurant facing the main street is very nice, the staff are friendly and the cocktails are very good. The sushi is a bargain and comes very well presented and tastes amazing! overall a lovely place you'll find next to Pacha with free wifi

Visited July 2013

London
“The culinary equivalent of a car crash!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My wife and I ate at the Tappanyaki restaurant in Soho Square, during our recent holiday to Sharm El Sheikh. We both enjoy Tappanyaki and have enjoyed it (and the ‘theatre’ with which its prepared) at various locations across the globe.

I have to say that all-in-all this was a pretty miserable and underwhelming experience. The grill is strangely situated between what looked like a prep and a wash-up area so there was a fair bit of traffic behind the chef. I was quite hopeful when I saw that the chef was of oriental extraction and middle aged, both of which built my expectations for an authentic and professionally prepared meal. I couldn’t have been more wrong!

On arrival, we were shown to seats around the hibachi and provided with a choice of set menus. My wife went for one of the fish options whilst I plumped for the wagyu beef and lobster tail option. What we got was the culinary equivalent of a car crash! Food was under-cooked, cold, and swamped in lashings of soy sauce regardless of what it was. My lobster was under done to the point of being raw on one side. When I sent it back it came back over cooked, tough, with even more soy having been drenched over it. As a result of sending back the lobster to have it finished cooking, I was asked if I wanted my wagyu well-done! I told the chef I wanted it rare. The piece of wagyu was the size of about a 4oz burger and 40% fat. The meat was served rare but the un-trimmed sinew made it almost inedible. The fat was also served rare bordering on raw rather than being rendered.

Of the 5 people around the grill eating steak, I was the only one given the option of how my steak was served – the others got what they were given!

The various set menus cam with specified accompaniments of which were missing the asparagus, the onion and in my case the foise gras, all of which were substitutted without notification or consultation.

We were there on an all inclusive basis and the menus we choose both came with a supplement, which I refused to pay.

I have to say, this dreadful meal was one of my all-time biggest culinary disappointments with absolutely no redeeming features. My advice is that if you enjoy Tappanyaki, avoid this place like the plague!

• Visited January 2012