“Excellent quiet hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Excellent quiet hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having stayed in Sharm for the diving experience for a number of years we decided to take our sons and respective girlfriends for one final holiday (before they have to pay for themselves!).
Having passed the Stella di Mare when returning from the days diving to the jetty, we thought we would give it a try. The hotel is built to a very high standard on the clifftop to the South of Naama Bay. It has a private beach area with pontoons to swim and snorkel along the reef. The pool areas were very clean with attentive staff serving drinks and offering activities. After the first day or so they start to get the message if you just want to be left alone. The rooms were large with enormous bathrooms and private balcony, very comfortable with a huge Queen size bed.We chose to eat mainly in Naama Bay so made use of the free shuttle bus regularly. Eating in the hotel's restaurants was expensive but at least there is plenty of choice. Taxis to the centre are pretty cheap but take advice from the locals for the best price and stick to it. Although close to Naama, it is a bit too far to walk, especially in the daytime heat. Stock up on water, drinks and snacks in town. Although the hotel policy is not to allow drinks bought outside into the hotel, we didn't find this a problem at all. On the whole a great place to stay. It was very quiet when were there (July 2012) but this was definately to our taste. If you are looking for a lively place then look elsewhere, if it's a peaceful oasis you are seeking then we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days at this hotel for a short break. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, very clean and the food is really nice. We went all inclusive and ate in the buffet restaurant a couple of times, where there is lots of choice. We also ate in the Italian, for no extra charge, and had the nicest fillet steak I have ever tasted. We ate in the Asian restaurant at the hotel, where the setting is absolutely lovely; overlooking the sea and again the food was delicious. The waiter service is fantastic, no queuing at the bar for drinks. They serve you all day/night long. The hotel is located overlooking the sea, where you can go snorkelling for a small fee (£3).The hotel has its own taxis so you can jump in one to town for a few pounds. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, lots of sunbeds. And the man at the top pool doing the towels (Bob) was very friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. He was very funny and kept us entertained, even coming round and cleaning our sun glasses or spraying us with cool scented water when it got too hot. They give you 2 clean towels every day for the sunbeds and lay the towels out for you, brilliant service. The hotel was a perfect place for a relaxing, quiet break. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: We were located on the 4th Floor overlooking the pool, a perfect position.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Colchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I went to the Stella di Mare for the first week in November. Having previously stayed at the Savoy I was not sure what to expect. However everything was first class.
I booked All inclusive to help budgeting. Food in the main buffet was good, however I did find choices a bit limited. Breakfast was great, with the Waffles the highlight. The chef always made me wait and gave me fresh which were amazing. Evening meals were a bit hit or miss, but I always found something to eat. The only problem being that being on my own, I found my table cleared on more than one occasion, (breakfast and dinner) while I went in search of something else.
I did have dinner one evening in the fish restaurant. This started off badly, with me being served spring rolls that were frozen in the middle, but when I pointed this out the staff were very upset and certainly their service made up for this minor issue. The AI menu was very good. In fact I paid to go back to the belly dancing evening which was very good and the food exceptional.
My room was large, however I did look straight out on the waterfall. This was not an issue for me as I was out of the room all day, and it was only operational between 9am and 4 pm. I was left a towel creation on the days I left a tip.
The main bar was good and the staff friendly.
I spent my days on the 'beach', and was well looked after. My bed was ready each morning, I was given water and fruit, also my sunglasses were cleaned. As I was near the beach bar/restaurant, i was given a drink as soon as the AI kicked in at 10am.

The AI option means that you get glasses of drinks e.g beer and coke, rather than a can. this was not an issue as you could see the cans or bottles they came from, and could see they were ok.
The hotel was always very clean and i would find it very difficult to find fault with.
As a solo traveller it can be a bit nerve racking going to a new place. I found this hotel warm, welcoming and safe. Definitely hope to return next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have just returned from a fabulous holiday in this hotel with my daughter, son-in-law and 2-year-old granddaughter. It’s a relatively new hotel and one that we all feel is seriously going places. I have not before come across a General Manager who so genuinely cares about the welfare and happiness of his guests but Mr George Hanna goes out of his way to find out what guests really think, tours the hotel daily and, where possible, he and his staff attempt to meet all requests. Nothing is too much trouble – and if it is, Mr Hanna would like to know about it! The grounds are spacious and extremely well-tended. The staff are so friendly and go out of their way to help – even to the point of cleaning your sunglasses, maybe a small, but definitely a much-appreciated, touch! As you lie by the pool or on one of the beaches, fresh fruit and welcome cold water is brought to you periodically. Cleanliness is good and we very much recommend the Asian Restaurant for a gourmet evening. There are activities during the day which involves some discreet music but we particularly appreciated the peace and quiet during our days in the sunshine as so many hotels in Sharm insist that we must all enjoy loud music all day long! In short, I would recommend this hotel to everyone and am already looking forward to returning!

Room Tip: We stayed in interconnecting rooms on the ground floor which was perfect for our 2-year-old as she c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jurmala, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Were in November 2012 with family and friends. With 2 little babies - 4 and 8 month. It's a great hotel, with nice accomondation, good servise, helpfull personal, good quality of food and beautifull and clean territhory. It's very nice a Mediterian restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

It was the second time in Stella di Mare this year. Everything was wonderful! Each wish was fulfilled immediately! Room, food/restaurants, beach, houskeeping, reception ... everyone is always and everywhere absolutely courteous, discreet and respectful. Many thanks to the whole staff. Special thanks to Moon, Erina, Aziz, Bob, Eslam, Sameh and many, many more very friendly people.
See you soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just got back from a 14 days stay in this hotel and I must really say that this was a positive experience.

The hotel itself has a very nice standard both concerning the open common areas and the rooms. Well selected materials and furnitures and its outdoor areas with its pools, beaches and restaurants are very nice as well.

I had a superior room on the ground floor where I had a panorama view of the sunrise in the Red Sea horizon every morning. The room itself was spacious with nice and solid furnitures, well working HVAC and a nice bathroom.

The gym was very good to be a hotel gym. It had studio equipment and was nice, spacious, bright and clean, but I have a few suggestions for improvements.
They should have doubled their amount of treadmills to 4 since it was a constant queue to get hold on them. They should also get a free-weight bench press station. Otherwise it was nice. It is available place in the gym for this equipment with some rearrangements. They should also get a new sound system.
There is a "design fault" in this room where a mainstay crosses the room down to app. 180 cm. from the ground. If ur taller than 180 cm and if u If you don't watch out, you will strike your head bad. It is tagged with a warning though.

The food in this hotel was very nice. They had a nice variety of dishes which suited me mostly very well. To me it seemed like they mostly used high quality ingredients and most things both tasted and looked very nice. If I should point out a weak point, it must have been that they only had bacon for breakfast every second or third day.
I don't drink alcohol so I'm unable to judge their drinks and wines.

I really must say that most of the hotel crew was extremely nice, gentle, accomodating and service minded people. They have really learned what service is all about. Thumbs up!

The outdoor facilities like the pools, reastaurants, bars and beaches are of top quality and the staff are excellent. The areas are clean and delicat, sunbeds are nice and clean without any defects, the green areas are beautiful with its palms and flowers and the beaches are beautiful.

So, to the not so good things and things which could be improved...

Internet:
Hello! I guess Egypt also lives in 2012, but the internet connection is still in the '90's. I had to use a CAT 5 cable for internet with ISDN speed.
On this type of hotel, a fast WIFI in all rooms should me mandatory, simply because the clientel you are trying to attract requires it - end of discussion! This point itself is enough to lower the entire standard of the hotel. If this is not fixed very soon, I will not come back to this hotel again next year - and I travel 6 moths a year, at least!

The sun block/chocolate/souvenir store in the third floor in the hotel. I really got a bad feeling when I went to buy sun block and cigarettes here. Hardly anything are tagged with fixed prices and u get the same feeling u get in the typical Egyptian markets: The seller is out to scam u. He said that that was how it worked in Egypt, but most other things in this hotel are on a fixed price list and this hotel, and Sharm el Sheikh i general, are not typical for Egypt either, so don't show of to the Egypian mentality. The price level of most things in this shop was way more expensive than in Norway - which is one of the most expensive countries in the world.
Stay away from these stores until they get fixed and reasonable prices.

The hairdresser:
Got a 10 minutes haircut which cost 200 pounds, which was fair enough for me. The female receptionist in the SPA suggested that I should have a shave as well - and I accepted without asking for a price. This 5 minutes shave cost me another 200 pounds. It might have been a fixed price, but I really got the feeling of being frauded. The hairdresser cannot speak english, he was in a bad rush and I wasn't pleased with neither the haircut or the shave.
This hairdresser must be one of the wealthiest people in Sharm el Sheikh though.

I paid almost 6000 pounds extra for two weeks with the "all inclusive" package. Neither did I drink or eat very much and I did not drink any alcohol at all - even if I could for free. One day, I was out of fresh water for my water boiler in my room, I asked the bartenders in the Beach Bar if I could get a 0,5 liter bottle with water so that I could make some coffee in my room. I could, but I had to pay extra for that. I have no problems with paying for myself, but the crew should be able and allowed to use some common sense - especially since many of them wondered why I didn't take advantage og the free beer and drinks etc. (Fresh water and soft drinks from the mini bar was included in the all inclusive package, but since I only required cleaning of my room every second day, the housekeeper hadn't filled up my fridge that day). If anything like this happen again, I will order an alcoholic drink every minute for a hour and pour them all out in the sand. It's a small issue, I know, but it's about principles! I left without any water.

All in all, a very good and relaxing vacation in nice environments. If the internet will be fixed and if u keep up most of your good work, I will definitely come back to Stella di Mare allready in 2013 if life keeps on treating me well.

So long...

Room Tip: I stayed in room 147 on the ground floor in front of the hotel. I will ask for this room again if I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!