“Beware! not what it's cracked up to be.” 2 of 5 stars

Tiran Island Hotel
Montazah, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #110 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Telford
“Beware! not what it's cracked up to be.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Location of the Hotel is poor, you have to get taxi's if you want to go where there is a bit of life, the hotels entertainment is very poor.
Some members of staff could do with a lesson in manners, especially one of the reception guys and the beach bar staff.
We arrived back at the hotel late one night about 11pm after a trip to Cairo and were hungry so we called room service and ordered burger and chips they said it would take approx 30mins
after waiting 45mins my wife rang back and asked politely how much longer it was going to be and had the phone put down on her, five mins later the meal arrived stone cold and inedible. The following morning we asked to speak to the manager who of course was unavailable so we spoke to the under manager who seemed indifferent and didn't really want to do anything about it which proved correct because we still had to pay for the meal when we checked out.
The food although plentiful was never hot.
Another annoying thing was the hotel kept running out of beer and we were all inclusive.
All in all not a brilliant experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tiran_Island_Hotel, General Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Guest,
We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay.

We do have to cater for a wide variety of international guests and we know that our British guests like their food very hot, therefore we provide in addition 2 microwaves in the main restaurant.

We apologize for the mistake happened with our room service but please check again your bill as we did not charge you for the the meal.

If you would like to give us any further feedback please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed here july 2010. Hotel , rooms and staff were nice but location and food was awful.
I could eat anything and have never been a fussy eater , After a few days I only ate fruit and bread because meals were so bad.
Hotel is about 12km from Naama Bay .
Nearest place to eat out would be SoHo Square, a 10min taxi ride away but restaurants have a dress code for men, which is No SHORTS or FLIP FLOPS

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Had a wonderful and brilliant holiday in Tiran Island Hotel Sharm El Seikh, despite I was a bit hesitant due to the negative reviews I had seen on the trip advisor, but honestly speaking since I arrived and the staff met me with a friendly and nice smile, I would rather say, the Egyptian taste of hospitality, while offering the welcome drinks for us, or the bell man who escorted us to our room and showed us and explained the hotel and the room facilities in a professional way, the cleaners were magnificent and did all their best to make us feel comfortable, as well as the pool staff, once you ask them for help regarding a towel or sun bed, they always serve you with a smile, animation team are the best animation I ever seen, they are really professional, food was tasty and hot, even when we asked for extra item like the French fries, the chef gladly prepared it for us, the waiters were adorable at the restaurants, lobby bar staff were great serving you with a smile, but best of the best, was the Indian restaurant, we really enjoyed our meal ion it.
For me and my partner, we really enjoyed our stay and definitely will go back again, we felt in love with that hotel and the staff, specially when you know they are serving you with a big smile although they are fasting , as our holiday took place during the fasting month of Ramadan, but that did not affect the service at all, looking forward to go back to Egypt and to another lovely and adorable stay at the Tiran Island Hotel .

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My friend and i stayed at this hotel back in May and whilst looking for another holiday on trip advisor i thought id be nosey and have a look back at this. It astonishes me at some of the bad reviews people put on here, for example - "my tv didnt work properly, no english channels (which they do) but in any case that's not a reason to rate the overall experience of a hotel as 'rubbish'; 'it was not a 5 star like London' - it's in frigin Sharm in Egypt and you likely got your deal of teletext so stop complaining.

My friend and i got a great deal for this hotel and were expecting the worst - when we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and cool, with ours looking out over the pool. The pool was clean, with great staff who were always happy to help out - for example, sometimes when we went down we couldnt get sunbeds together. We just asked the guys and they spent a few minutes finding us a space - no issue, no squabbles and plenty of smiles.

The food was, fresh, hot and plenty of it was tasty - perhaps repetitive but i've yet to travel to a hotel anywhere in the world, where it's not repetitive - what if it had a full a la carte menu for you to choose from - that would be repetitive after 5 days.

It's not in Sharm center so if you want a hotel in the center dont stay here. You can get a shuttle bus, which yes you have to pay for - why wouldnt you? It's was pittance. instead it's out on it's own with a great little snorkelling pier.

Overall, we found this place spotless, fun, great pool, modern and good staff (oh and there are plently of places to get water). Perfect for a chilled out week, reading trashy books, listening to music, drinking beer, snorkelling, swimming and soaking up the rays.
Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I've been a guest at the TIRAN ISLAND HOTEL 3 times since may 2010 and I have to say, this visit has been the worst.

I fell in love with Egypt and the hotel on my first vist. I loved both the country and where I stayed so much, that just 4 days after returning from Egypt I had booked another holiday for 21 days but ended up extending my stay and was in Egypt for a month.

Upon arrival at the hotel I was informed by reception that there had been a power cut in the day and that when the electricity came back on, none of the fridges in the hotel rooms were working. I was told the problem was being dealt with and left it at that, but I arrived home yesterday and I can assure you that NOTHING was done at all.

I ended up having to make sure I had a plastic bag on me every night when I came back to the hotel so I could ask for ice. I placed drinks I bought from the super market in the bathroom sink and tipped the bag of ice in the sink to keep my drinks cool.

There were times during my 2wks stay that the bar didn't even have ice. It was ridiculous. I would have to go upstairs to the restuarant and ask for ice and even when it was given to me, it was done as if I was asking for the moon on a stick.

Power cuts seemed to keep happening and even the water went off. Luckily it happened an hr after my shower, but for anyone who was in the shower, washing their hair or about to shower, I felt sorry for them.

There's a lack of communication that goes on with staff too. They just don't bother to clear things up with each other.

I booked my hotel independantly as Thomas cook couldn't get me on a flight so I had to book everything separate.

I reserved my booking online using a credit card which of course was accepted.

When I tried to pay for my room when I arrived I was told it was fine as staff at the hotel know me well and trusted me, but just 3days later I was HOUNDED by staff to pay a deposit for the room.

I tried to pay over the phone to reception but was told I had to go and make the payment in person.

When I went to do this, there was a problem with the machine.

I had planned to go to the public beach in Naama bay and was leaving all my personal belongings in my room safe and wouldn't have my credit card with me. I told reception this and was reassured it was fine and told to enjoy my time at the beach.

When I got back to the hotel some hrs later, I didn't even have time to take off my sandles and sit down when my phone in the hotel room started ringing. it was reception ringing to remind me I hadn't paid for my room yet.

It was as if staff had followed me to the beach or were sitting in a bush waiting for me to get back. There's no way they would have known I was back to have called me so soon.

I thought this was really bad and could have been handled better.

I explained to reception that I went to make a payment that am but the machine wasn't working. All I got back in response was that the machine was now working and could I go and pay for my room.

Where the hell did they think I would go? I had only been there 3 days and it was my 3rd visit to both Egypt and the tiran island hotel. It's not as if it was my first time there.

The hotel taxes are a rip off. don't part with any money in any currency for a taxi. go outside and wait for a blue and white taxi.

from the hotel to naama bay, it costs no more than £30 egyptian pounds. if a taxi driver won't drop you to naama bay for that price, politely thank him and let him go. Another taxi will come along and gladly take you there, especially if he sees another driver being greedy.

If you're going to visit old market, from naama bay, it's £10 egyptian pounds. same rules apply. if the driver is greedy and demands more, thank him and let him go. it doesn't cost more so why should you pay more.

from the hotel to nabq, the cheapest I paid was £20 egyptian. don't pay more than £30 egyptian.

Despite the negative things that took place on my 3rd visit, I would still recommend this hotel to others.

I was out so often and for so long, that I didn't eat breakfast or lunch in the hotel, and I only ate dinner in the hotel once, but I would still pay for all inclusive as it's when you don't pay that you find yourself wanting the food and drink and then you have to pay extra for it.

The fridge not working really annoyed me. It was so hot and to keep walking around asking for bags of ice was something I could have done without.

As much as I love the hotel and most of the staff working there, I don't believe they did anything to fix the problem of the fridges not working and it's for that reason along with a few other issues I had this time around that I've decided to stay in another hotel.

I hope that for anyone who goes back, the fridges are working.

I hope anyone who goes has a great time, but I didn't have as much fun this time as I did on my first and second visit.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

this hotel was very clean 95% of the staff were great the pool was good volly ball and water arobicks twice a day pool staff were good give them an english pound a day and you would have your sunbeds saved for you. food very standard very much the same kind of thing each day very boring indeed. night time entertainment very bad animation team good they put a show on every night from 945 till 1030 only 45 minutes other than that there was an old guy singing the same old time songs over again every night could not take it after one week stayed in a lot at night. to go out at night you had to get a cab which are not cheap if you have to do it often they are 40le to napq which is very nice amd 50le to naama bay which is a nightmare do not recamend to go.the beach is not a sandy beach as said on web site the sun beds are on sand on rocks but the only way to the water is by the jetty as you are not allowed to walk on the corel and it is surrounded by corel.the beach bar is free for all inclusive but not the food.over all the hotel is ok but do need to sort the entertainment at night out this is a major problem for a lot of guests.also they tell you the bottled beer is sold out et around 8.30 but when you have to pay for it at 11pm it all of a sudden appears again.dont buy anything from the shops on resort as they ar half the price in the mini market 10 mins walk down the road.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

The reviews seem to have a split outlook, but I think it depends on what you are used to. My family usually go on self catering or half board, and this is the first time we have gone all inclusive, yet we paid no more for the holiday than we have done when travelling half-board, yet the hotel was still significantly better than previous holidays.

The hotel itself was very impressive, with a very elaborate entrance, and a clean pool. There are plenty of bars, so wherever you are you can get drinks, although the biggest range are from the lobby bar. From the pool bar and beach bar, the drinks are served in plastic cups, but this is unsurprising as if they served them in glass, quite a few would be dropped and then there would be glass everywhere. In the restaurant and lobby bar, the drinks are served in glasses of a good size. We never had a problem with the All Inclusive ending at 11pm, by that time we wanted to return to the rooms anyway, so we were up in time for breakfast the next day.

The food was in general hit and miss. In my opinion they provided good range of food every day, and the main food did change every day, although it followed a similar theme. Most of the time we could find food that was nice, and there was always a good range of cakes (or pastries at breakfast) and fruit on offer, although you can be never quite sure what they will taste like! Ice-cream was only available for two hours a day, and it was served in plastic cups, but there were four flavours, all of which were delicious.

The rooms were fine and clean. Everything except the fridge was working, and the rooms were clean. It does depend on the cleaner, as we had two, and in one the cleaner was very good, and he always left towel sculptures, and even cleaned out dirty glasses, although in the other room the cleaner was not so thorough. In general the staff had a very good sense of humour, and were very friendly, although some of the bar staff were not so friendly.

The beach is very close by, and there is also a regular shuttle bus if you can't bear the walk. The beach is not overly family friendly, and it is advisable to have flip flops or sandals to get to the pier but the snorkelling is incredible, and even if you don't get into the water you can see quite a lot of fish from the pier (I saw a manta ray standing on the pier). In the water there are quite a lot of fish, and occasionally a turtle appears. Unfortunately you can't just walk into the water, although this is an issue in most places you go in Sharm El Sheikh and it is the price paid for a stunning coral reed.

The location is not great for those wanting good nightlife, and there are a lot of empty buildings, as the area is still developing, but it is close to the beach. Na'ama bay is not to far away, and taxis aren't too expensive, although we only went for one night, as speeding taxis, and shopkeepers that tried to drag us into every shop left us feeling a bit shell-shocked!

Overall I think this hotel is perfectly fine for anyone who is looking for a not too expensive holiday, and it is very good value for money if you find a good deal, although if you are looking for the very best all inclusive and fine cuisine, you are better off going somewhere more expensive.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tiran Island Hotel? Share your experiences!