We stayed at the Royal Grand Sharm in Sharm El Sheikh between December 19-29th 2013. The Hotel is large, and occupies a good location on the coast in well maintained landscaped gardens. The staff are polite, very friendly and accommodating but don’t expect to be able to compare this hotel to usual 5 star hotels in other locations, its not bling but comfortable and well worn; but The Royal Grand Sharm represent great value.
We stayed on an all inclusive basis with all food and drink included. We stayed on the second floor in a deluxe sea room view which had a large balcony overlooking the main swimming pool and sea beyond. The weather was beautiful during the day with temperatures around 25-27 degrees and to get the most out of the trip be prepared to get up early and find a suitable spot around the pool or on the beach and start sunbathing at 8am. In December the sun dips around 4pm so get your tanning hours in early (it does get colder in the evenings so take a jumper).
If your thinking of staying in Sharm El Sheikh the main choices to make when selecting if you want to stay at the Royal Grand Sharm are; do you want to stay in a quieter location away from the night life and shopping of Soho Square but be away from the airport and closer to the diving? We visited Narma bay to check out some of the other more central hotels that occupy that strip and were delighted with our choice of hotel.
Summarised below are some of the activities we enjoyed during our stay;
- Exploring the Desert – organised by the Hotel this half day trip involved a mini bus drive to a desert compound and then getting suitably attired in Arab headscarf before driving either two seater buggies or quad bikes into the desert and enjoying see some great scenery and having some fast bumpy driving along the way. Be aware that the afternoon is very very dusty, wear old cloths as the dust get everywhere and you could even take ski goggles to cut out the dust that get past your sun glasses and enjoy the drive even more.
- Scuba diving – a diving school is located in the hotel grounds and good snorkelling and instruction available from a private jetty that takes you over the reef. This was a big factor in selecting this hotel for our trip. Day trips further out along the coast and diving wrecks are available with boats staffed by professional, well organised instructors and crew.
- Visiting the old market – basically an attempt to reproduce an authentic Arab market but really its a warren of stalls/shops hawking all the same stuff. Its fun to barter but don’t bother going if you can’t cope with endless cheap sales banter and reproduction goods.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Activities & Entertainment Tennis courts ,Table Tennis ,Volley Ball ,Darts, Boccia ,Water Polo & Water aerobics ,Bridge table available, Fitness Center (Gymnasium),Nightly animation shows on the hotel’s Panoramic Music Terrace.Kids' Activities :-Children Buffets for Breakfast ,Kids menu for Lunch and Dinner (on request),Kids Club for children from 4 to 12 years ,Equipped with LCD Screen, movies & music, and other activities, Mini Disco 2,Children Playground & Children Daily ProgramHotel facilities:-24 hour reception multilingual speaking,Parking Lift /elevator,3 outdoors swimming pools, ( main pool / Relax Pool / winter,pool ( Relax & winter pool are heated during winter season)Private Beach with jetty ,Free Sun beds, Umbrellas and beach / pool towels.Room Facilities:-Air conditioning with individual control,Satellite TV with 44 channels in 7 languages,Hairdryer,Safety deposit boxes, Smoke detectors,Nonsmoking rooms,Shaver plug,Baby cot ( upon request ),Room view: - Garden / Pool / Sea view / Beach Front, Room type :- superior pool or Garden view / Superior,Sea view/Deluxe sea front/family suite / presidential suite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com and Priceline so you can book your Royal Grand Sharm Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.