“Fantastic holiday!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 B Entrance of Sharks Bay | North Naama Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 00328, Egypt   |
Ranked #35 of 230 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Birmingham
“Fantastic holiday!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Me and my boyfriend have just came back from a weeks stay at Sol y mar, we couldn't have stayed at a nicer hotel.

The hotel itself it lovely, rooms are a good size we balcony and patio with sun loungers in front if your room. Mohamed the gentleman who cleaned our room would leave various shaped animals and hearts on our bed in the towels, it was small touches like this which made us feel valued guests.

The bar staff were great specifically Sherif and Yusef (apologies if I spelt the names incorrectly). They always had a laugh and joke with us and took time to get to know us and ask how we were, it was rare we had to go to the bar as they were always on hand to offer us another drink or bring around ice creams when around the pool or bar at night.

I could go on and on about how good this hotel is, the food was well cooked, varied every meal time and there was always freshly grilled meat, pasta, omelettes, pancakes and always a fresh salad which I ate every day and had no dicky stomach.

Tamer the manager was every inch the gentleman, would hold out doors, offer drinks, very polite, took time to talk to every individual and managed a good team of staff in the hotel. The whole team are impeccable.

The one down fall which can't be put down to the hotel or any of the hotel staff were the animation team. They were 2 young girls who were there for day time activities and to let us know about the night life, where to go, where we could get night club wrist bands, entry tickets from etc, however, all they seemed to do was organise darts twice a day but only invite the men to play. Every day of the holiday they would ask my boyfriend If he would like to join in the activities but didn't even acknowledge me. After speaking to another couple our age who we spent the rest of the holiday with they said the girls were the same with them an it became obvious after a few days that they were only interested in speaking to the guys around the pool or in the bar of an evening when they would come to our table and ignore me and the other girl in our group but only speak to our boyfriends. They didn't introduce themselves to us and we didn't even know there names, they were rude and not what an animation team should be. If you need to know anything about the nightlife, days out etc go to the gentleman in the shops in the hotel, they are very helpful and will give you all the info you need and also try and get you discount in to the clubs in naama bay and soho square. Please don't hold the animation team against the hotel, we didn't let them ruin our stay and we had a fantastic holiday. The staff made our stay at this hotel even better than anywhere me or my boyfriend have stayed before. Egypt is beautiful and I will defiantly be going back to this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SolYMarSharksBay, General Manager at Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Ms. Emma,

Thank you for choosing Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel to spend your holiday.
My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. You have provided us with great motivation in our strive to continuously improve the service we offer.

“Customer Recommended”

This recognition directly influences our commitment to further improvements in 2012.

1,115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Scunthorpe, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My partner Nigel & I have just returned from numerous stays at the Sol Y Mar hotel and every time we go back it has improved, We first stayed 3 weeks after the hotel first opened and have never had any complaints with the Hotel, the staff or the food. The GM Ibrahim always makes time to meet and chat to his guests and so very happy to ensure that you are having a good time, he is always open and appreciates honesty and happy to listen to any advice people may offer. The staff at the hotel are a credit to Ibrahim and his management team, everybody works so hard all the time but always have a lovely smile every time they see you no matter what, they just cannot do enough for you. I believe the staff are treated well by the British Guests however they do have to unfortunately put up with the ignorance of other nationalities but still smile through this. When we walked in on our first night the reception we received was very warm and welcoming, within minutes we were shown to our room and throughout the stay we were treated like their family. The food choice was very good as it is difficult to please all the people all the time there was enough variety and choice you didn't need to go hungry. Again the staff in the kitchens and restaurant were always happy to help with translation of some dishes and the chefs would always pop out to see if there was anything needed topping up and to ask guests if they were happy with the food , overall a wonderful eating experience. The guys always joined in the fun at the pool bar, Youssef was totally amazing and he ran the bars very well, his service was incredible as was his staff and always happy to please, Mobarek at the pool as always bright and cheerful everyday joined in the fun and games with every1, was really funny when he tickled some friends we met with piece of grass lol. (John sapping himself silly thinking it was a fly haha) The cleaners did a lovely job of cleaning our room daily these guys get so overlooked so well done guys. Overall a fantastic holiday and met some great people and some not so great, but your holiday is what you make it and if you choose Sol Y Mar I am sure you wont be disappointed, if you have a problem raise it don't sit moaning if they don't know they cant fix it. We look forward to returning for another holiday end of March beginning of April see you soon guys, Terry xx

Dear Ms. Terry,

Thank you for choosing Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel again to spend your holiday.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Having returned from our 7th trip to this hotel I cannot believe how the staff can improve each time - and on our other holidays they have been fantastic. Much praise must be given to ibriham the GM and his management staff for the respect they show all the staff, this shows in all the staff by their massive smiles. A big thank you to youssef and itch in the bar, Mubarak at the pool and too many to mention in the restaurant (michel, tamer,omah). Lots of great guests also(Brits lol).. Animation team lovely and as low/high key as you wanted them to be, next time Lauren you will fit in my suitcase!!!!! If your after a relaxing break in the sun with lovely people, food, drinks, supurb rooms then this is the place to come.

• Stayed December 2012
Our Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel again to spend your holiday.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Sol Y Mar, Sharks Bay, Sharm El Sheikh.
We booked for 10 days but fled after the first night.

There is nothing to like about this hotel. The rooms are hazardously filthy, the location is terrible and the staff need schooling in customer service.

Reception staff were USELESS, management were RUDE, UNACCOMODATING AND OBTUSE, and the food was mediocre at best. Facilities (but more importantly cleanliness - or lack of) were few and far between - the pictures look nice online and the pool area was relatively clean, but the rooms have tired decor which is coated in years of untouched filth, the 'clean' sheets were either filthy or had holes in, the duvet had no cover provided at all, and the bathrooms were hazardous.

The water from the taps ran yellow, the drains reeked of stagnant sewer,and the showers were broken and rank, the extractor fan was clogged with greasy scum, and the lock on the door was broken. Behind the hotel is a disco which blares loud music related noise at you through the night.

THIS IS A HOTEL FROM HELL.
DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL.

We booked a 10 night stay at this hotel and were online looking for a new hotel within the first few hours ad we fled (gleefully) after the first night. After we managed to communicate to the seemingly deaf/dumb reception staff that we were checking out and needed to speak to the Manager (this took a considerable period of time) we were greeted warmly and asked to wait in order that we could be offered a new room. Feeling embarrassed, we agreed to go to lunch while a new room/upgrade was prepared. After lunch we were shown the new room: it was exactly the same as the first. RANK. Then, as we went to check out, the Manager had the audacity to inform us that, as our packed bags had been in the room past midday (while we ate lunch and tried to check out), that he would be charging me for an additional day.
Aymen (the Manager) then became rude. He told me I had misrepresented myself as a client and I must pay because he had been kind and helpful. I replied that he had misrepresented his building as a hotel and refused to pay for any night I had not stayed. Let me make two things clear.
1. Most 5 star hotels in Egypt are 3 star at a push and even the standards of the big chains seems to drop considerably here.
Sol Y Mar hotel is a 1/2 star.
2. I stayed overnight simply because the internet access was expensive and limited and it took me that time to figure out how to leave.

***************************************** DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!
HIDEOUS HOTEL.
HORRENDOUSLY MISREPRESENTED.
RUDE STAFF.
TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT.
*******************************************DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SolYMarSharksBay, General Manager at Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Unfortunately we are obliged to explain the real story of your short stay in our hotel.
When you arrived, you were welcomed with our usual hospitality. You received your room immediately as per your booking in perfect condition. Next day, you contacted us and told that you expected, the hotel was situated on the beach, however it is clearly mentioned in all web sites and tour operator brochures that the hotel is not on the beach; we provide regular shuttle service to our beach, which is at our sister hotel. You asked about the possibility of canceling the rest of your accomodation, we accepted without any hesitation. We also assisted you for searching another hotel due to our hospitality. When you decided to move to another hotel, you were asked to pay for 1 night accomodation without any cancelation fees, as you stayed one night and used all the services according to All Inclusive Concept. You rejected to pay and started to insult the staff without any reason. We re-explained with maximum politeness that the booking has done by yourself and there was no error in the hotel description and location; for sure we are obliged to charge you one night that you spent in our hotel. Unfortunately you left the hotel with unfair behaviour that we did not deserve, despite our maximum hospitality and assistance.

Ibrahim Khalil
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just got back from the most amazing holiday thanks to sol y mar! On arrival I asked if I could change from a double room to a twin room (did'nt fancy sleeping in the same bed as my sister) this was dealt with within minutes by reception who were brilliant throughout the holiday, nice spacious rooms with the balcony overlooking the pool, the view is out of this world! Food was great and we really wanted to try a traditional Egyptian dish that I had heard about that wasn't available at the buffet, I asked the canteen manager and the staff were more than happy to cook it for us whenever we wanted...it was fabulous and the staff were great, the waiters were really nice guys, ahmed, islam and omar and were very helpful! the housekeepers again were such great guys and the towel art was amazing that they left on the beds. At the pool the lifeguards were again great fun guys especially ahmed and do their utmost to ensure all guests are happy, as for the guys at the bar...well I know I have done nothing but praise this hotel and staff but they are outstanding and made my holiday the best holiday I have ever had! Both yusef and hasham never allowed us an empty glass! Lets not forget the guys upstairs in the shops, careem, simo, mastafer and wally, again really amazing guys, we had a good laugh with them as the have an amazing sense of humor and we bought all our tobacco and presents from them as they are trustworthy guys with good tobacco and their quality of stock is so much better than what you find in the markets. It is not located on the beach but there is a free bus every hour and half that will drop you off to a sister hotel on the beach where you can also use your all inclusive in their bars and restaurant, so basically you get best of both worlds. . Thankyou to everyone at sol y mar sharks bay for an amazing time and beware I am finishing this review and booking my next holiday to sol y mar x

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Our Dear Guests,

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Me and my partner Jay have just returned from Sol Y Mar Hotel and it was fantastic we had a brilliant time. Hotel was very clean and tidy, staff couldn't do enough for you they was amazing. Food choice was very good a choice for everyone I am a very fussy eater and I had no problems at all. A barman called Yousef was absolutely fantastic he would bring drinks over to you even if you still had a full drink, you would go to get up to go to the bar but he would tell you to stay where you are and he would bring drinks and food over to you he was out of this world.
Room was lovely very spacious bed was comfy and it was very clean. We had a mad cleaner called Mohammed who was crazy every time we seen him he would say MEOW MEOW he was lovely, we would go back to the room everyday and we would have something different at the end of the bed made out of towels, crocodile, elephant, baby, monkey and swans was great.
Animation team was brilliant really friendly and chatted to us everyday and would try and get everyone involved in all the activities. Would just like to say a massive thank you to Lauren, Vicky and Miki for all they did and the entertainment was great. Lauren and the plug was hilarious ha ha ha! Dont forget Vicky Hands on Hips because I'm important ha ha.
I don't know how people can say anything bad about this hotel because it was amazing we had a lovely time and met some lovely people. We would definitely return again. Thank you to all the staff for a great holiday and hope to see you all soon :) x Liam and Jay x

Our Dear Guests,

basildon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just back from a very relaxing holiday.The staff were exemplary as was the weather,entertainment good fun especially when Micki came,vicky and lauren worked their socks off and hats off to them!
Pool staff could not do enough for everyone and i salute you all! Sherrif especially. But the one who stood out most of all was ahmed the towel boy who was absolutley fantastic. Only a small hotel which was great as no fighting for sunbeds and mainly english which always helps! A few minor gripes though-no ramps for suitcases,massive fly problem(which other people from other hotels close by said they did not not have) Nightime staff at reception were very short in understanding english,and food became a bit repetetive.But all in all a lovely time.But be warned, we were approached at the airport after checking in by a check in operative stating that our cases were overweight and we had to pay £90, we argued that nothing had been said at check-in but he said this was an oversight but dropped the fine to £50,he then said it had to be in cash and he we would sign our tickets as a receipt! We refused and said we would require a valid receipt,he walked off on his phone and said he would be back with a proper receipt-but guess what he never came back! Be warned. A great small hotel with lovely staff, and although a bit isolated, needs checking on-you will enjoy!!! But best for adults as little do for children.

Room Tip: Get a room on top floor(only 3) as private balcony and quieter.