“Very nice hotel with brilliant staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh

You added The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Fanar Street | Ras Um El Sid, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #62 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Tienen, Belgium
“Very nice hotel with brilliant staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We've stayed at the Grand Hotel for New Year's (dec. 2012 - Jan. 2013) and had a fantastic holiday! Not only is the resort really 'grand', it is also very cosy, clean, with great food and excellent staff. The different pools were amazing, the food was really good, the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean and offered a fantastic view! Actually there is a special thanks to Ms. Leny Mik, who is responsible for the guest relations at the hotel and was an absolute miracle worker! She helped us to find your way around the hotel and it's surrouning area and assisted us in case of need. If you want to know where to go or how to get around in the hotel, she is thé woman to talk to! Thanks for the great holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view when making your reservation, it is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here 14th to 21st March 2013. This place is rated as 5 star, but don't expect it to be that. Lets start with the room which was tired and needed refurbishing/redecorating. The light in the shower was hanging out of the ceiling, the toilet seat was broken and the tiles were all displaced/not fitted correctly in the ceiling. However it was relatively clean and tidy. I consider that a lot more info could be provided in the rooms rather than having to seek out someone to provide it. The food and drinks were plentiful and of a reasonable quality. But I consider that serving wine in tumblers is not satisfactory. The staff were all very friendly and helpfull. The daytime entertainment was not very good and poorly advertised. The evening entertainment was mediocare at best. The grounds/gardens were all very nicely kept with the gardeners doing an excellent job given the conditions. Although there were a lot of swimming pools non of them was heated and all felt very cold. They were supposed to be 22 degrees C one degree lower that the sea temperature. However whilst is was quite comfortable to swim in the sea the swimming pools felt really cold. All in all we had a good time though, after all we only went there to get away from the weather in the UK, so at least it achived that. Would I go again, not too sure. However considering some of the stories we heard relating to other establishments this place appears to be better than most.

Room Tip: Get a room with a low number to get you away from the evening entertainment noise it you want an ear...
Middleton in Teesdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Returned for our 2nd trip 9-16th March for a week of r&r and to celebrate my birthday as we had previously done 3years ago. We knew what to expect (please don't go expecting 5* rooms it's more the facilities that are rated this), what we didn't expect was a number of faults with the room ranging from broken shower through to worst of all a hair dryer stuck together with masking tape (hello electric shocks). Spoke to Samah at GR who kindly swapped our rooms (we weren't expecting this) to one of the refurbished rooms. First cleaner was quite rude when we told him that we were moving rooms and hovering around us each time we went back to the room - maybe it was because the room next to us were moving too? The new room was a lot bigger and generally a lot nicer however a lot of the furniture was quite marked. However, Ali the cleaner was lovely, didn't ask for a tip or anything (major problem here - constantly hounded for tips) and made sure everything was good with the room. The grounds are absolutely fabulous and constantly well looked after so big credit to the Gardening team - these guys work so hard and probably don't get much recognition. Never had any problems getting sunbeds apart from last day when we got the last 2 at the top pool at 9am. One major downside for myself was the choice of food. Emailed Red Sea Hotels twice before I stayed due to having a wheat intolerance and had no reply. Samah at GR arranged for me to speak to Kent the head chef about what I could and couldn't eat. The result of the conversation was not to eat anything with sauces on or any soup which wasn't clear, and if I was unsure to ask the chefs. When I did ask they didn't understand what I was on about. The result was chips, wedges and rice often with plain meat. Although 2 restaurants have a board outside showing what is and isn't suitable for food intolerances the food was never available. A polite suggestion would be to have all cards that show what the food was, to be labelled whether they are gluten, lactose free etc. Fresh gluten free was available to order though at one point I did wait 48hrs for this. Overall, having been to this hotel and Sharm twice we won't be back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We (friend and I) stayed at the hotel from the 14th – 22nd March. It was a much needed break and we stayed for a week.
Surroundings
The grounds, pools, gardens, beaches, bars were all amazing. We felt like there was were new to explore every day.

Rooms:
The rooms were clean, spacious, air conditioned and we had the option of having our room strayed daily to prevent any unwanted insects being in the room. Which I thought was very useful, being in a hot country. The cleaners were very friendly, efficient and would go out of their way to make sure you were happy. We loved the daily towel art and it gave us something to look forward to every time we went back to our room. The room had a television but we never watched it because there were so many other things to do.

Food:
I enjoyed the food as lots of variety available, the Egyptian deserts were my friend’s favourite. My favourite restaurant during the day was the one by the beach and in the evening it was Fusion: the setting was stylish with lots of lights which created a fantastic atmosphere. I am a ketchup lover, so was thoroughly pleased to be given Heinz ketchup every single time, so they score all the points from me. We had pancakes and ice cream every afternoon. All the waiters were efficient, friendly and when they were 5 mins late to respond to a request, they were apologetic and managed the situation well.

Management
We had the opportunity of meeting the manager of the hotel and his team during the welcome meeting and I was very very impressed with this style and also the staff board identifying the management team in the reception area. They made it clear they were accessible and we could go up to them to talk to them and raise any issues or concerns. Working as a manager in my day job, I was very impressed with the manner in which the manager, deputy manager and the team went out of their way to make sure we were happy.
The manager (Mike) and deputy manager (Dee) of the hotel would do a walk around during the day and in the evenings, going from one restaurant to the other, talking to guest to check they were happy and I presume so any concerns can be managed immediately. I was thoroughly impressed with this as I have never experienced that in all my travels. Its always difficult trying to manage different people’s expectation, needs and wants and I was happy when faced with a difficult member of staff, Mike and Dee handled and resolved the situation to my satisfaction. Many thanks again Mike and Dee. My friend was looked after well when became unwell while I was away and I was pleased with that.

For me, it’s definitely worth the 5 star status and I’ve been telling everyone about it. If anyone is looking for a decent hotel in Sharm I would say go to the Grand Hotel as that's where I would be going to again when I’m back in Egypt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
gm_grandsharm, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Yvonne- very manay thanks for your positive review.We were delighted to welsome you both to the Grand and delighted you had a great time,. We certainly hope to see you again in the future.

Sincerely

The Team at the Grand Hotel Sharm
inverness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely situation and we found the staff to be generally very helpful. The new manager made sure that he had a strong presence and is continually working on improving facilities around the place.
Gardens ~ superb. Mozzie spraying each night very helpful. Offers to spray room also very helpful. Great surroundings and lovely pools.
Room ~ we had an ordinary room which was well looked after, clean and comfortable. Perhaps needing a little update and work on the drains. We spent hardly any time in the room but slept very well. We would definitely upgrade for more space next time.
Restaurants ~ touch and go sometimes but staff did their best to rectify any situation which arose. Training is ongoing and I am sure they will respond accordingly. The fish restaurant on the Cliff was excellent ~ had to pay extra, but worth it. It was also our favourite lunch spot.
Breakfasts ~ everything there you could need. Loved the fresh omelettes and the fried eggs on demand. Nobody wants to pay extra for the fresh orange juice though!
Bars ~ local spirits but all fine and relaxing.
Entertainment ~ we were very lazy and needing to catch up on rest but they do their best to give you an interesting programme and were very informative.
Massage/beauty ~ there is an area set aside for this. Good massages at an excellent price.
Would definitely go back. Little problems but nothing that can't be overcome. Thanks for a lovely holiday in the sunshine.

Room Tip: The regular rooms are fine but an extra seating area is always a bonus and general nice outlooks.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is the first time I have written a review and as we have not been to Egypt previously, I have nothing to compare this hotel to. We stayed for 2 weeks from 10th to 24th March on what was our belated honeymoon.
I will try to be as honest and frank as I can with this review, pointing out the good and the bad.
Our room was very basic and was actually a twin room - great for a honeymoon couple! The floor had not been mopped for a while and there was a thick layer of dust on it. We didn't really mind as it's only a place to get your head down. After we'd been there for 90mins with no sign of our suitcases, we tried to ring reception only to find that the phone didn't work! After some man maintenance we eventually got through and enquired as to the whereabouts of our luggage. 30 mins later, we rang again! Our luggage arrived some 2hrs after we did!
I tried to book tea making facilities at reception and was told to "come back tomorrow." I returned the following day and was told the same! When I was met with the same response on the 3rd day I spoke to the manager who managed to find us a kettle in minutes.
The remote control for our TV did not work and as was held together with masking tape! As there was no manual volume control on the TV, we couldn't hear anything as the volume was set to minimum. After a week our remote was replaced - by one held together with SELLOTAPE!
The safe did not work and was replaced after 2 days. Towels in the rooms were seldom replaced unless you requested them with the promise of a tip!
Reception staff were uninterested and rude, even when it came to PAYING for our kettle.
Now the good bit!!! The grounds are stunning and generally very clean. The pools areas are very nice and the staff at the Relax Pool Bar were brilliant. After the 1st day - Alaa (the waiter) would bring our drinks over at exactly 10.00 without any prompting and not once did he forget what we had. In the Reef lobby - Bassem was polite and always smiling. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he made us very welcome. In the Reef dining room you are welcomed by Fatma, always smiling and polite and the quite brilliant Ahmed, who made flowers for my wife everyday.
The food is sufficient, anyone who thinks it is easy to cater for 1200 guests of differing nationalities is living in dreamland. There was always something on the menu to eat if you are prepared to look and don't expect bangers and mash everyday! By far the best Restaurant was the Shiekh - but it wasn't listed on the information sheet we were given and we only found out about it from a friend.
There are enough sunbeds to go round - your are in Egypt, and I promise you that at some point during the day you WILL catch the sun wherever you are. I was one of the guilty ones who rose early every day to get to the Relax Pool. I am ashamed to say this but on nearly every occasion the people I encountered in the early hours were BRITISH!
On the whole, we had a very enjoyable holiday. The front line staff away from the main hotel are the biggest asset and are very hard working and concientious. I understand that Mike - the manager - has only been there for a short time and he will need to sort out a lot of issues, but the place is enormous and given time I'm sure he will.
Would we return? Probably, but only when the facilities live up to the billing. I don't expect a hotel with 600 rooms to only have 50 kettles to go round. In fact, I don't expect to have to pay for tea and coffee facilities because I fancy a brew when I first wake up. The spa is still under construction and this will add to the facilities at the Reef side of the complex.
Please don't be put off by this review as we had a wonderful time. If you just want to relax and enjoy the sun in stunning grounds - then this is the place for you.

East Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a week at The Grand from 16th - 23rd March. Thought the hotel was good value for money as majority of the cost of the holiday was for the flights. The room was fine as we don't tend to spend much time in the room and as long as the bed is clean and comfortable we are happy. We found the food to be good, we only ate in the buffet restaurants once for dinner and booked into the A la carte restaurants for the other evenings we were there. The breakfast choice was good in the buffet restaurants. Overall we have no major complaints about the hotel, although the staff were sometimes more interested in their mobile phones than looking after the guests and the beer was too warm!! The rising at dawn to get a sunbed was not much fun, but the pool staff were trying to deal with this by removing towels and belongings that had been left before 7am and were left for over 2 hours by people who had been down and gone back to bed. The hotel and holiday provided exactly what we needed and that was a relaxing time in the sun to get away from the awful British weather.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your vacation with us and hope you will return one day soon.

We have followed up on your comments and are pleased to confirm that even when full, there are always enough sunbeds in the hotel, albeit, they may not be exactly in the location you prefer, but there is always a space for you and our recreration staff will do all possible to help.

We have a policy re the use of mobile phones when on duty, however the staff often use these to order supplies and liaise with their managers, however, we will keep a look out for this in the future.

Best regards from us all.

The Grand Hotel -Sharm El Sheikh

Been to The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!