“Not what we expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 232 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
“Not what we expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Visited the Savita in April 2013 with my sister and my niece.
OK - dodgy bits first.
On arrival, we were rushed into the restaurant (which was closing) so that we could eat - didn't reckon much to the restaurant choice but we were tired and wanted to go to bed. We checked in and tried to confirm that our room had three beds (being three ladies) - we were told that it should have and to go and look. Only two beds. Rang reception and asked for another bed which was delivered and made up by our room boy. Went to bed, woke up next morning and looked out of the windows to a large patio (just beyond our balcony) and the most beautiful sea view. That night I slept on the "extra" bed (which was a Z bed) but I was very uncomfortable and had to ask for another matress (making my bed have two mattresses, as I explained to room service). Our room boy turned up with two boxes of matches so I put them on the bed but they didn't make any difference - hence started the hilarity around communication - I did get another mattress by-the-way. We only had one chair on our balcony so, for 3 days we tried to get another couple of chairs and a table - eventually these arrived (via our room boy) so we were happy for a few days. But, we were obviously the envy of our neighbours because the russians next door pinched our table - I soon got it back!!!!
In summary - food is pretty poor - entertainment is focussed mainly on Russians who seemed to overtake the hotel - they are very, very rude to other guests and the staff.
There is a lot of faded glory around the hotel but (now the good bits)......
The pool area is lovely and the terraces by the beach are great. There is a small walk on a floating "bridge"to the sea (which is deep) where the sea-life is teeming over the coral reef - beautiful. The sun beds are quite comfortable and beach towels are supplied by the hotel. The bars are great and the staff amazing (see Mohammed in the cocktail bar). We got them all making us lovely lattes and some mega cocktail concoctions.
The rooms are nice and spacious with plenty of storage (and great air conditioning). The hotel itself if huge and there are four sets of lifs (two on each side) on the beach side of the hotel. There are loads of shops around the main foyer with plenty of bars, a chinese and an italian restaurant (well worth a visit due to the restaurant food being quite yuch).
This is not a five star hotel as it stands at the moment - I would rate it at 3.5
However, we all three really enjoyed our holiday and did say that we might go back but they would have to improve their food and it wouldn't take much to ensure that each balcony had their own table/chairs!!
The service was exemplary at all levels.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - the other rooms are on the opposite side of the hotel looking over some mo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1,186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the savita May-June 2013 and after making a last minute booking. after reading the reviews we tried to change our hotel we were that worried what we were getting ourselves into. We are both very well travelled for our ages and are used to staying in 4/5* hotels all around the world.

When we arrived we were pleasantly suprised, our room was clean and spacious.

One thing to look our for is the spa people round the pool. On your first day they will try and convince you to have a massage. A firm no and they will leave you alone for the rest of the holiday.

The food wasn't Michelin star but what do you expect for the price you pay? There is always some chicken/beef and rice/potatoes/chips available and salad. Surely something for everyone.

Yes there were a lot of Russians in the hotel but the English tended to sit together so no bother was caused.

We chose to visit local Soho Square in the evening, a taxi from Abdul in reception was 60 Egyptian return and we just rang him when we wanted collecting. Prices were reasonable in the square and it was a lovely atmosphere, with no hassle. The entertainment was very tailored to other nations but not really Russians.

Overall I would defiantly visit the Savita again and do not be put off by the reviews, go try it for yourself and then decide.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor (reception and food are on floor 7). Just one flight down to the pool. We w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

myself and my wife and mother in law went to this so called advertised 5* hotel as sold to us by travel agents in 2012. we had previously been to sharm twice before and stayed at the 5* sonesta beach hotel which was amazing. but this year as we were saving up to go to mexico in 2013 we got a bargain on the savita or so we thought. we were there for 2 weeks and after the first week we wanted to come home and were seriously contemplating buying ticket on our cards.

the room? patio doors were broken did not lock / sink in bathroom blocked / bath was dirty and corroded. / 1 small bottle of water between 2 each day. conjoining door to another room.

the food? omg we were served raw beef burgers it was the same food morning day and night this hotel does not cater for british or vegetarians. all the russian french and germans seem to go here and are very rude. the food was that bad one day the manager went and had a dinner specially prepared for me this was after i showed him the raw beef burger. after 4 days we were trying to avoid going to the restaurant for food the snack bar ? the cook was handling meat then running his gloves under a tap and then handling salad. the staff were arguing in the restaurant
and they always kept running out of glasses so you would have to wait 5 minutes for a drink some of the glasses were dirty and cracked. it was almost as though they did not have enough staff.

staff at pool bar making you wait while they are on a fag break absolutely disgusting and generally being grumpy and moody

pool area ? concrete all rough round edges / covers on sun beds ripped and stained / pool water dirty / poolside toilets dirty and doors did not lock also human fecies on toilet doors and hand dryers. best thing about this hotel was the shisha camp on the beach which was cleaner than the hotel and we spent most of our holiday there thanks to our shisha friends eddie and max who were locals.

the second week we ended up eating out in the town which was nice. not very nice coming out of hotel to find a naked man sleeping in the bushes and to be facing off with a pack of wild dogs all we needed now was a couple of zombies and we would have had our own horror movie.

what do you want me to say.

this hotel looks amazing in the brochure but if you go there it will be your worst nightmare

Room Tip: find another hotel or sleep in a shisha camp
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Reading some of the previous reviews on here I wonder if some ever stayed here at all. Yes, the reception is on the 7th floor but what the reviewer fails to say is that this is actually street level & the floors head down in number to bring you to sea level just like every other hotel/resort on the south facing side of Sharm El Sheikh. You don't have to constantly wait for lifts to get around the hotel, there are 4 lifts & we never had a single problem pressing a button and waiting for no more than 30 seconds. You're on holiday, have a little patience and enjoy it.

Some reviewers mention Russian holiday-makers; Now I am sorry but while we were there we were the only English family at the resort and we never had a single problem with anyone whatsoever, no one was rude, no one pushed us around, no one jumped a queue and no one started any arguments with us. Russian people are entitled to a holiday just like the rest of us and they really aren't a problem.

Overall the Savita is a lovely place; The Staff are absolute perfection and make you feel so welcome the moment you walk through the door - Although the bloke on Reception should learn how to smile now and then. The food is standard all-inclusive fayre and never appeals to me no matter where I go so I can't complain about it but if you want something different there is an Italian and a Chinese restaurant that you can book easily enough, which is also all inclusive. Usually with all inclusive holidays you get very cheap versions of beer/soft drinks etc so I was quite surprised to find that the Savita uses quite a good quality bottled lager and branded soft drinks. The 'beach' area isn't up to much and is basically just rocky outcrops so don't go there thinking that you will be laying on a long sandy beach all day - None of the hotels on this stretch have that and if that's what you want you should book further north towards the Baron resort.

All in all, I can't fault the Savita Resort; The staff are exceptional, the pool areas are brilliant, the coastline is beautiful and everything about the place is worth the money you will spend staying there. Do yourself a favour - don't read all the reviews that moan about other nationalities, if you want to hear English people swearing loudly, whilst bouncing empty cans of special brew off each others' foreheads go to Benidorm. If you don't like waiting 30 seconds for an elevator to bring you down to sea-level book a caravan in Dorset and if you are the sort who moans about 'foreign food' stay at home and have a BBQ because holidays in Egypt are not for you.

If you have booked the Savita and you are reading some of the previous reviews with a heavy heart then let me put your mind at rest; You'll love it, don't worry, go and enjoy it, it's a brilliant place.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room on floors 6 or 5 - The view is amazing
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my parents in March. Ive visited sharm many times but this hotel isnt one I would come back to.

The reception area is on the 7th floor so you are constantly waiting for the lifts to get around the hotel which when so many are doing the same things gets quite frustrating.

The food that was cooked outside on the grills was great but what we found in the restaurant itself was very disappointing and extremely limited.

It was about 10 mins walk to soho but through an unlit road and be warned that soho is an expensive area. To get anywhere else you would need to get a taxi as it is otherwise quite remotely located and is around 15 mins walk to the main road.

The room was very nice and the reception did their best to accomodate our requests of the view we wanted.

The pool and beach staff were fantastic and if you tip them they will secure beds for you everyday for your entire stay. Be warned there isnt much of a beach as it is mainly coral and to go to the water you have to walk out on the bridge.

• Stayed March 2013
Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I travelled with my elderly Parents for a 2 week break & was a little concerned about some reviews I read before travelling. I needn't have been worried as it was one of the best hotels for service I have ever stayed in in Egypt. I have visited Egypt more than 40 times & the staff at this hotel were, by far, the most attentive & respectful. The rooms were spotless, large, light & with good air conditioning, we had a sea view with interconnecting rooms which was very handy. The hotel was well cared for & the gardens beautiful. The only down side was the quality, not choice of the food. When we mentioned this we were told it was because of the unrest in the country making it more difficult to get good quality produce. The chefs were willing to cook us anything we wanted if we didn't fancy anything on offer. None of us were I'll while we were there although another English traveller did suffer & needed to see a Dr. Mohamed in the Piano bar was the star of the hotel, so attentive, helpful & caring he really should be in charge as he seemed to be the one person who sorted out everyone's problems, he works such long hours & never once lost his smile! We have already booked to return in December.

• Stayed July 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Savita is one of them hotels that when you pull up in front of it you immediately get that excited feeling by its beauty. I'm just gonna cut to the chase, we had a lovely room with a balcony. The spa is nice,warm and peaceful. The outdoor pool is fairly cold so I didn't use it? FOOD was the highlight, lots of different foods offered in the buffet. If you walk outside fresh kebabs are being cooked and served which Is lovely. If you like Egyptian dancers, shisha & fun GO TO SAVITA!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Savita Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!