“If you like cockroaches, noise, torn sheets, fumigated bathroom then this is the place for you.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Serenity Makadi Heights

You added Serenity Makadi Heights to your Saves list
Serenity Makadi Heights
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Safaga Road 36 Km | P.O. Box 324, Makadi Bay 324, Egypt   |
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Brussels
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Oh dear - what a real and true disappointment within such an idyllic setting. This hotel has such potential to be a "real" 5 star hotel but Management and Infrastructure is seriously lacking (if at all existing). By european standards this hotel is maximum 3 stars and not more and this is due primarily to the beautiful gardens, the pools and the beach - BUT IT STOPS THERE. Unfortunately, we were put in a family room (which we payed extra to have) but this family room was located above the theater area so on the first night we were not able to sleep until 05.30 in the morning and then 2 russians got into a noisy fight whcih was broken up by 06.00hrs and that was our introduction to "Serenity"!! The next morning we requested to change rooms they did provide us with another room but on the other side of the theatre (directly opposite our original room and just as noisy). Finally in order to get another room away from the main hotel I had to pay extra and yes they put me in a suite by the beach infront of the restaurant which had beautiful views - but then comes Saturday night party at the beach which went on til 01.30 that morning again welcome to Serenity.... The next day after a beautiful day by the pool we come back to our room to find cockroaches in our bathroom - we complain to the mgt they propose to put us back in our original room (no extra charge - very kind) so we stay where we are. They then proceed to fumigate the bathroom which made the room unbearable to stay in so we left everything open to air (don't worry the door to the terace was broken anyway so if someone wanted to break-in either way it would not have been a problem). Unfortunately their attempt at killing the cockroaches did not work and they had to come back again.....

The rooms are clean but old, and it's time to possibly invest in new sheets and quilt covers, ours had so many holes in them that you keept getting your feet caught in them while you slept. We also had the "Ultra all inclusive" offer which provides bathrobes (when you reminded the reception!!) but again I think time to invest in new bathrobes as they were seriously torn to bits.

As for the food - overall its not good, you can find 1 or 2 things to eat, but its more of school canteen quality, again if you have the ultra all inclusive stick to the Royal bar - its better there. Furthermore, don't be late for breakfast 10.00 is 10.00 and they will not serve you after that - fullstop.

Again as I said before its such a pity as this hotel has great potential.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

ive been to the serenity 14 times went march this year absolutly love it staff food managers rooms spotlessly clean and staff so friendly have booked to go back june this year my second home love it and cant wait my son and grandchildren are coming and his partner

Room Tip: its very quiet at nights so cant fault any of the rooms but we had top floor the honrymoon suite bea...
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Travelled last week in March. The actual complex was nice & we had upgraded to a superior room with a sea view. But typical egypt - no shower curtain, or bath plug, and the monoblock tap in sink was fitted to close to wall so the plug would not close!! However, once reported adjustments were made & we could then use facilities.The Staff were fabulous, so friendly & amenable & once they got to know you went out of their way to please you - and yes we know its very much about tips at the end but its worth it. Food in main retaurant was ok, but much better in the Italian which was still part of the all incl. The only down side was the pools were too cold to swim in, except for a small heated one, & the place was teaming with ignorant Russians who generally treated the staff like lackies. Overall good but very remote location.

Bruxelles, Belgique
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We went to Serenity Heights last week (2nd week March 2012).
positive :garden is big and beatifull - Hotel accomadation are very good - Royal Guest restaurant - Staff (in restaurants).
Negative : Food in general restaurant - Staff from sattellite activities always disturbing you when you're at the pool. - Animation in Russian before English.

Room Tip: We had Deluxe room not close to the spectacle area > More quiet ans helps to have good nights.
Riga, Latvia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We spent vacation at this hotel in fist week of March, Year 2012. Theritory is really nice and mini club for kids is also great, but that is the only positive things I can say. Food, drinks, staff of the hotel - terrible. I would not recommend it for your vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dukinfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

we went to serenity heights back in 2011 we had a great time we love going to the different pools every day also the beach. met some great people especially the bar staff, the gaurds on the beach were very nice felt safe ,wold reconmend it the hotel was spot less gud food ,fab time .,

Room Tip: we were on the top floor . over looking the vast gardens very pretty,
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My Mum and I stayed at Serenity Makadi Beach (still known as Serenity Makadi Heights) from Friday 17th February until Friday 24th February, 2012.

The complex is huge with blocks D2, C4, C3, C2 & C1 on the left hand side of the main entrance, B3, B2 & B1 in the centre and D1, A4, A3, A2 & A1 on the right. C1, B1 and A1 being the closest and, in my opinion, best locations nearest to the private beach. Originally we were put in Room 1111 in block D1 which is right near the Lobby Bar. On our first night here, we ventured into this bar where karaoke for Russians took place and we were served by a particularly ignorant Egyptian barman who never once smiled during our stay. The Lobby Bar was open from 10.00 until midnight and all we could hear from our room was “boom, boom, boom” from the Russian music being played and loud, arrogant Russians.

After 2 days, we asked to be moved. Thankfully, we were moved to Room 1095 in block A1 which was right near the beach. The rooms are basic and not cleaned. The bedside cabinets and dressing table where we had left drinks were never cleaned. We thought we would be able to have breakfast at The Bay Watch restaurant located on the beach which it said was open from 07.00 to 10.00 and 12.30 to 15.00 hours but it was closed for breakfast and meant we had a long trek up to the main Monaliza restaurant which was open at these times.

The food was bland, luke warm and awful and catered mainly for the Russian pallet. Breakfast is only available in the Monaliza restaurant (more like a canteen) and there is a counter where you have to queue for fried eggs or omelettes. On two separate occasions, I stood patiently waiting for an omelette to be cooked when Russians barged in the queue, handed their plates over to the chef and demanded my omelette which, unbelievably, they were given. I then had to wait for them to be cooked again.

There is an Italian restaurant which is included in the all-inclusive if you book at Reception the day before for either 18.30 or 20.30 sittings. I really enjoyed their soup and pizza and, although it wasn’t the best food I have had, it was at least edible. The only other edible place I found to eat was The Beach Bar which was open from 11.00 to 13.00 and 15.00 to 17.00 hours. This served snacks of hot potato wedges and lovely vegetables fried in batter.

The Marbella Pool Bar should have been open from 10.00 until sunset but this was hazard taped off whilst building works were being carried out and a make-shift bar erected to one side. There was also a ‘Library’ there to borrow books from during your stay. That’s okay if you can read Russian as there were no English books at all.

Restaurants included in the all-inclusive are the Monaliza, Bay Watch, Italian Rossini (if booked at Reception the day before) and the Aladdin Oriental (closed). There is an Asian House, Fish Restaurant and Royal Lounge Restaurant which attract an additional charge of 8 Euros per person.

I paid £40.00 for 2 hours in the Spa on the complex for a sauna, steam room (this had 3 halogen lights dangling dangerously from their broken casings and electrical wires exposed – 2 of which didn’t work at all and the other one occasionally crackled and went out leaving the room in complete darkness until it came back on), Turkish bath with skin exfoliation and jacuzzi where the water was so cold I literally came out shivering. It did not seem at all safe or clean in there but the massage an Egyptian lady gave me was wonderful.

There are a number of small shops near the main Reception area of the complex. Do not go into the perfume shop. I was coaxed in there by a young Egyptian man who saw the sunburn on my chest and proceeded to massage me inappropriately with aloe vera oil and made me feel very, very uncomfortable. There is another shop there that sells tacky Egyptian ornaments and cigarettes. I asked if they sold Golden Virginia tobacco but they didn’t sell any tobacco at all. They kindly went into Hurghada for me (approximately 45 minutes drive away – there is 1 bus daily, not 3 as the hotel states, at 14.00 hours for 8 Euros return each) and bought me 500 grams for £40.00 I thought I would be able to buy Golden Virginia from Hurghada Airport on my return but they do no sell any tobacco at all, only cigarettes, so I would suggest you buy this from Hurghada if you want any. Perfectly okay and not camel-droppings as I thought it may be!

The most enjoyable day of my holiday was an organised day trip by coach to Luxor. We asked Reception for an alarm call at 04.15 but didn’t get this until 04.50 when the coach left at 05.30 – fortunately I had set the alarm on my mobile phone but please don’t rely on an alarm call from Reception. It was approximately 5 and a half hours on the coach but well worth the amazing visits to Karnak Temple, The Valley Of The Kings, Queen Hapshetsut’s Temple and a cruise on The River Nile – all for only £52.00 which included a meal at a restaurant. Travelling very tiring but well worth the wonderful experience.

Whilst most of the staff at this hotel seemed unfriendly, once they realised we were English their attitudes completely changed as the Russians spoke to them like something on their shoes. Special thanks to Sammi the Barman. He was the most friendly and helpful of all the staff in this hotel and couldn’t do enough for you.

The Animation/Entertainment held in an outdoor tent was appalling. Only ventured there once, hardly anyone in there and Egyptian and Russian staff attempting to sing in fancy-dress. The ATM cash machine in the reception area did not accept most people's bank cards so we were told to go to an ATM near the main entrance to the complex. This worked but was about a half a mile walk!

Definitely NOT a 5 Star hotel. This hotel only seems to cater for rude, arrogant Russian people. I will definitely not return to this hotel or Hurghada for this reason. All the English people we met (not many at all at the hotel but lots on our return home) said the same. Last year, my first visit to Egypt was to The Sharm Plaza in Sharm el Sheikh. This WAS a 5 Star hotel, could not be faulted in any way and highly recommended. Had Serenity Makadi Heights been my first visit to Egypt, I would not go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in Blocks A1 or B1 as these are closest to the beach. Definitely ask to move if they...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Serenity Makadi Heights? Share your experiences!