“Christmas Holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 21 hotels in Makadi Bay
derby
“Christmas Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have been to this area of Makadi Bay before, but not to this hotel. The hotel itself is in a brilliant location the best on the bay actually, quite simply this hotel has everything you want we arrived in Dec in time for the Xmas festivities, the food on Xmas eve was very good but they pulled all the stops out for New Year I have never seen a New Years Day buffet like the one The Fort provided, and I have seen lots of Festive buffets in lots of hotels (Been going away for Xmas for the last 12 years) the only down side was no form of entertainment in the main hotel you had to go to the Arena which I don't like doing, I think there may have been some in the West wing (Saga). the staff are friendly and helpful the pools were heated the drinks are of good quality even the wine is acceptable. The best thing about the hotel is the Red Sea the house reef is amazing and you do not have to go very deep into the water to see the coral life.all in all I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FORTARAB, General Manager at Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas, responded to this review, March 16, 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas.

We sincerely appreciate your time and effort to convey your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

1,217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Arrived back on Tuesday spending 2 weeks here over Christmas. It was family holiday with adult Children.

We arrived at the hotel at 6.45pm on Christmas Eve to a very good welcome from all staff. We had rooms in the East Wing quite close the reception and the main dining room, and because of the time of year, didn't realise the full extent of the Seaview until getting up on Christmas Day during Sunrise. I have to been to Sharm twice and this hotel was far superior to these previous visits. For this rest of the family, they were on their first introduction to Egypt and I can honestly say their praise was amazing. Arriving on Christmas Eve meant we didn't really appreciate the full Gala Dinner on the first night but that is definitely a lesson learnt.

On walking into the bedroom, I couldn't believe they were actually the same as the picture in the brochure. I had paid for a sole use of twin so was definitely impressed. Like other comments we got animals and sculptures made by our regular cleaner over the first 10 days before he went on holiday. We did think he came around wanting to clean a little bit early - sometimes before 8.30am. The rooms did not have enough space for personal belongings. The wardrobe was large but there were limited shelves and drawers meaning most of my stuff ended up on the bottom of it rather than being put away.

Temperature was regularly 35c in the sunshine and 22c to 26c in the shade. The 2nd week over new year was a little windy at times making the current in the sea a little difficult to swim in. although when it was a bit more windy they seem attract a better variety of fish. There are water sports on either side of the beach for the more adventurous.

We ate mostly in the East Wing dining room and found the food very pleasing and off a very good standard in particular Chicken Dishes and most Beef dishes. The show cooking always looked good but portion sizes of these were significantly limited by the staff so you could make your main meal from it. The West Wing dining was a little warm on a evening to enjoy a meal but was very pleasant at lunch time, especially if we had been at the Sunset bar pool. The beach bar serves a late breakfast (morning snacks) of pastries etc. a limited lunch menu and further afternoon snacks. The only thing I would say is the food at the beach bar was a little limited and got a bit repetitive at times.

We were also entitled to a "free" evening at the Grill House - this a new a la Carte currently being trialled and will eventually cost E10 for set 3 course menu which I have to say was one of the best of the holiday. In the winter it is being held within the Beach bar, but eventually will be outside on the grass. The only complaint I had was allowing children to run through the bar in search of the ice cream freezer while the venue is being using as an a la Carte restaurant is unacceptable.

We made particular friends with a couple of waiters in the East Wing dining room - pictures attached - if your going to the Fort Arabesque and happen to come across these suspects please give them a hug from me!!! :-)

Both activities pool (with swim-up bar) in the East Wing and the Sunset bar pool were heated to between 25c and 32c daily which made a welcome change from it feeling freezing after laying out in the sun.

The bonus at this hotel was that the water / Soft Drinks / Beer were mainly served in sealed bottles / cans / cartons rather than cups which is stark contrast to other AI hotels in both Egypt and Spain.

Others have said the WIFI is expensive and not worth it at E20 per week but I disagree. It is supposed to work throughout complex and does to a point, but is better if you are near either reception and it is not getting hammered by lots of devices e.g. better used first thing on morning and on the balcony rather than in your room. The cost compared to where I stayed last Christmas was cheap and better than running up a mobile bill sending text messages etc. home.

The disappointment was the animations team - OMG - only went to the arena for Comedy night in the first week and I have to say we laughed but for all the wrong reasons. We spent most other nights either enjoying a quiet night in the lobby bar or at the Sunset bar. There was also no inclusive atmosphere on NYE to co-ordinate activities between the various venues - we had to go get our own party bags from the Arena!

I will definitely be returning and am waiting for a couple days off work to talk to the travel agent about the options for next year.

Room Tip: Ask for full Sea view rooms. These are located near reception in the East Wing (2nd Floor and above...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This was our first visit to Egypt, although our daughter who travelled with us has been to Sharm twice. We had decided that we wanted some winter sunshine & a Christmas & New Year without any of the hassle of decorating the house, food shopping & cooking. We were not disappointed.
The hotel was clean, comfortable & the staff were very friendly.

Our rooms were adjacent as requested, spacious & well presented, the only suggestion for improvement would be to provide more drawer space, there was plenty of wardrobe space & hangers. The bathroom was large & the shower excellent. Always plenty of hot water.

We arrived on Xmas Eve, about 1 hour before the gala dinner and were overwhelmed by the amount & choice of food on offer. This continued on Christmas day, New Years eve & New Years day.

Outside of these days there was still plenty of food on offer, the quality & choice continued. The puddings are to die for!!!

There are two main restaurants East & West Wing, a beachside snack bar & a grill house ( the meals for the grill house were served in the beach bar which becomes a restaurant at night).

The activities pool has a swim up bar & was heated to about 25c, however the protected pool by the sunset bar in the west wing was heated to between 28c & 30c. very pleasant indeed.
There were always plenty of sun beds at the pools & beach.

We enjoyed the entertainment in the Sunset bar most evenings, the Arena show wasn't to our taste although the animation team seemed to work hard. My only complaint was that on New Years Eve all the festivities were centred on the Arena and it was as if the Sunset bar didn't belong to the hotel. We even had to fetch our own party hats & streamers from the Arena.

We will return to Egypt & hopefully this hotel but wouldn't travel to arrive on a Gala Dinner night.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view, but not ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is my 5th time to Egypt but first time to Fort Arabesque.I treated my step sister to this holiday so wanted it to be extra special as this was the first time we had been away together.We went at the beginning of December and the weather was quite good.The staff are so friendly and can not do enough for you.The hotel is kept very clean and every day we had new towel art on our beds which I have never had before in Egypt and always wanted it to happen.So thank you for this.
The food was extremely tasty and varied every night.The drinks were plentiful and quite strong which my sister enjoyed!The snorkeling was amazing and you must do a boat trip as the coral is stunning.We were lucky enough to have a glass bottom boat.
I must say the hi- light of the holiday was the animation team.Tito,Chico and Haitham were great so friendly and would get everyone having ago at different activities.I have never joined in with activities before on a holiday but with the encouragement and support especially from Haitham I was playing volleyball,french bowels and having a go at different water sports.I have never danced so much before either , even at my age.I had a great time.
The shows the animation team put on in the evenings were great.I am surprised to hear that Haitham is not there as I feel that the team worked together really well and obviously had so much trust in each other with some of their incredible displays they performed.Some were quite breath taking.I do feel it is a shame that they are separated as the atmosphere was brilliant between them.I have heard there is an Italian animation team and they work with international together like one family ,but I think you need Haitham back to complete this.I was especially impressed with the way Haitham could speak so many different languages.He is a real asset to the hotel and should be back at the Fort Arabesque.
I would definitely come back to this Hotel if Haitham was back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Visited this resort for a week over New Years. Only a thirty five minute transfer time from the airport. The room was very spacious so for two friends sharing it was ideal, two large double beds that were very comfortable. There was plenty of wardrobe space and hangers, and a large bathroom with a double shower. The restaurant had a wide variety of food that would suit all tastes, there were plenty of choices at each meal time. The lobster dinner (added extra) is worth it and the Lebanese grill, we had a free visit to this as part of an all inclusive package. The staff are extremely friendly and cannot do enough for you, tips did not seem expected. The wifi is extra at €20 and not worth paying for unless you really need it as it is so hit and miss. The evening entertainment is extremely lacking, not at all impressed with the animation team. The beachside location is the best in the area, the gardens are immaculately kept and every area is clean and well maintained. The spa is well worth a visit so take some time to chat to the sales guys that visit on the beach, it's not a hard sell and they always have a deal. We met many guests that came back regularly, and it would go back. The snorkelling is fantastic straight from the beach, very impressed.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us at Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas.

We noted your remark about evening entertainment and animation, which we forwarded to the concerned departments to work on. It is through your valuable feedback that we can better serve you.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Just returned from the fort, only a 7 day holiday for new year. Good point's first. Lovely big room with side sea view in the east wing. All public areas were clean although all these areas are mostly brick floors and not the polished marble we've experienced before on two previous visits to Egypt. As other people have said there are 2 wings and the west wing is the saga wing. However there was nightly entertainment in the west wing. Our cleaner's did a fantastic job and left us towel sculptures on a few occasions and there was fruit in the room too. Food was really very nice. You have plenty of choice and there are a couple of cooking stations too. The hotel has mostly Italian guests but a good proportion are British and we met some lovely people whilst we were there. VERY FEW RUSSIANS and that's a big plus. The hotel was by no means full I'd say maybe less than 50% so never any issues with sunbeds either by the pool or on the beach. The beach was lovely and was cleaned and levelled daily. Staff in the east wing restaurant were great as were the staff in the west wing bar. We didn't eat in the west wing restaurant so I cant comment. Staff at the beach bar were generally good although we did have a couple of issues but were on both occasions apologised to by the manager.
The not so good points were a couple of the lobby bar staff but mainly the older guy. I only saw him smile once on our last night and when you went to the bar he always appeared to go out of his way to find something else to do rather than serve

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us at Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas.

We noted your remark about lobby bar staff, which we forwarded to the concerned department to work on. It is through your valuable feedback that we can better serve you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

When you're a diver, forget about all other diving schools at Makadi Bay, book a package with IDIVE on the Arabesque hotel premises!
The Italian owners Carlo and Erika welcome you as if you are part of the family. The whole atmosphere is very friendly, warm- hearted and relaxed.
Carlo is an expert in underwater life and knows EVERYTHING about it. His underwater pics are fabulous and have won several prizes.
The guided dives are carried out in a very professional way, the dive equipment is well-maintained and easy to handle, the instructions given are clear and to the point, I felt absolutely safe at all times.
Big thanks to Carlo, Hassan, Ayman and Erika. you made my holiday unforgettable.
Go and dive with IDIVE Makadi Bay, you can't make a better choice!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about our diving center.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you at our resort in the future.

The Management

Been to Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas? Share your experiences!