“A liitle oasis of tranquility” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Makadi Hotel

You added The Grand Makadi Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Makadi Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Egypt (Formerly The Grand Makadi)   |
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Makadi Bay
lincoln
“A liitle oasis of tranquility”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay if you want peace and quiet, good food and excellent views. Having read previous reports I did not know what to expect, the drive up leaves you wondering what have I done! The hotel however was wonderful. We arrived late, due to delayed flight! On arrival we were quickly allocated our rooms and were given a food box had we had missed our evening meal. We stayed in 2 rooms as we split our holiday with a Nile Cruise. Both rooms were lovely, a little worn around the edges, but this is normal in most meditaranean hotels in my experience. They were clean and spacious. Meals were available at 4 restaurants in the resort and 2 in the adjoining Makadi Palace, we did not dine in these 2 as we found the selection in the Grand Makadi were enough. Unlike previous reviews we had no problem when it came to knowing what is included in the all inclusive package, the menus are clearly marked. We were informed of this at our introduction meeting, some people obviously don't listen!! The pool area was to die for with plenty of sunbeds, we never had a problem finding one. The beach is narrow and to swim you need to navigate the coral beds. Beach shoes highly reccommended! There is a roped off area for snorkelling, give it a go wow! The entertainment was basic, local singers who apparently did not know all the words, but hey its not the X Factor and it was a relaxing way to end the days. We found most people had gone to their rooms by 11 o clock so we didn't need a disco etc blasting out till all hours!
To sum up, if you want peace, quiet, relaxation, clean rooms, friendly, but not pushy, staff and lovely hot weather this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We have spent 2 weeks in this hotel if you want to dive, snorkel it is 1st class, or just to chill out, relax and be looked after by wonderful young men who can not do enough for you this is the place to be. It is not for you if you need lots of night life. Special thanks to the staff in the Italian, Elsayed who was wonderful , all the bar staff and Ali who looked after our room. the snorkeling off the beach was very good not a beach for children. a extra special thank you to all at Emperor diving kieth and all on Sea dream who gave me 6 days of wonderful dives thank you to all looking forward to meeting you all again Alf & Ellen

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Flight was delayed form Birmingham for over an hour but this was not the first time we have been delayed and certainly wont be the last. Flight to Hurghada was with Thomas Cook booked through Coop Travel from the Red Sea Resorts Company.

Flight was cramped to say the least as others have pointed out.
Arriving in Hurghada Airport was very intimidating for my wife ,you seemed to get yelled at from every direction and although we were told they will accept American Dollars for your Visa we had a very angry man on the Visa desk telling us they didn't and eventually and very begrudgingly took our Dollars,we were once again cattled through to baggage and wondered what we had got ourself into!!!!!

Then the holiday began ,nice transfer bus that took us to our hotel with reclining seats and a nice Rep to boot.
Arriving at night the grounds where stunning and we got told to leave our bags for the porters to take to our room.
After reading reviews tipping is expected so our porter took us to our room and we tipped two dollars ,not a lot but he seemed appreciative.
The room we booked was a Junior Suite, this contained a huge and comfortable bed as well as tv (although most channels German ,BBC News Worldwide being the only fully English channel ) and an outside balcony with two seats and table.
Again the bathroom was a little dated but we travelled to Eygpt for the relaxation and the snorkelling not to look at the grouting in the bathroom!
We awoke early as in 7 o clock and went to try and make sure we had a decent sunbed by the pool to spend our first day and we had no need to worry ,nearly all beds where avaiable.Walking the short distance (100 yards) to the beach the Parasols on our beach were all avaiable too so dont worry to much.
The pool and outside terracing is spot on and defo 5* ,immaculately well kept and the staff at all bars and restraunts extremelly friendly and helpful ,be pleasant to them and youll be suprised how accomodating they are to you.
I''m a relatively fussy eater so toast and cereal for breakfast with juice followed by chicken and chips for dinner and the italian restraunt (book 24 hours prior ) certainly kept me fed. The Italian restraunt did a fantastic T-Bone steak ,although this was not on the all-inclusive it was well worth the ten Euro charge.
All in all the food was good and we didnt suffer stomach issues at all but again we did not have ice in drinks or the ice cream ,i suppose you just have to put some thought into what you do and dont have and you will be ok.
The bars did some lovely cocktails on the all inclusive ,The Red Sea Special being one of our favourites.
Internet is avaiable from only one pc that is expensive but saw lots of laptops in the foye so maybe you can take your own im unsure.
The snorkelling at the reef just outside the hotel is fantastic,as others have stated wear coral shoes ,we bought ours prior to trip from Decathlon.
I spent hours in the afternoon swimming up and down the reef and noted so many species of fish and coral is was awesome.
Going out to the drop off is very uneven so take your time but once there youll find Groupers,Butterfly,Surgeon and Clown fish as well as so many other varities we even noted spotted rays on the sandy bottom 20-30 metres below us.Spectacular.
If you go near the border piont (as far left as you can go) and go out between the first entry to the reef the drop of is amazing with extensive coral valleys going out to sea and we saw the largest fish and most spectacular coral here.

The night time entertaiment is rubbish so dont expect much from it but overall its a lovely hotel ,only gripe was the ammount of (yellow banded) palace guest using our pool and restraunts are bars!!! Does this tell you something about the Palace ,i dont know we didnt visit but had a great time rgardless !!!!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

As with other reviews we booked our all-inclusive holiday last minute through Red Sea Holidays. The flight was with Thomas Cook Airways and was probably one of the most cramped flights I have ever been on but thats not the hotels fault. The arrival at Hurgarda airport was a free for all not helped by a large number of Russians who did not understand the concept of queueing but again this is not a fault of the hotel just an observation.

We were very impressed when we arrived at the hotel late in the evening. The check in was simple and we were shown to our room and advised where we could get something to eat while our luggage was delivered to our room.

The room itself was clean & spacious, although as other have noted the bathroom looked rather tired but it was cleaned daily. The only slightly odd feature was that the view out of out terrace was of the pool of the sister hotel the Makadi Palace.

A nice feature was the towel bag for the beach towels, that were changed daily.

There were plenty of sunbeds but as other have mentioned the best one were 'reserved' from very early on but there is generally some a bit further away from the pools ard by the beach. The attendents are very helpful moving the bed if needed and laying your towel and here was no pressure to tip although it was appreciated.

The beach itself was nicely laid out with windbreaks around apirs of sunbeds. Suitable footwear is recommended for walking on the beach and in the sea. There is no jetty over the coral but a wander in to the sea for some snorkleing is worth the tricky walk.

There is the Lagoon restaurant, the general restuarant which seemed to have a theme in the evening but was fairly samey at breakfast and lunch. Vegetarians may struggle for anything other than salad. Variety could be had at Leonardo's (Italian) which had a slighty limited menu at lunch and dinner but was very nice and the staff very attentive. We ate in the Caribbean, which again was tasty and although described as a seafood restaurant had plenty of other food.

The bar in the plaza was very popular. The seating area around the outside were often busy but the bar and waiting staff were attentive. There was generally a singer for the evening entertainment who weren't too bad.

Overall we had a great week at the Grand and will proably visit again

lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I poured painstakingly over reviews before settling on this hotel. I will try and save you the trouble I went to reading every review.

Flight with Thomas Cook.....not the best! Booked extra leg room seats on arrival at Manchester airport, much cheaper at £15 per person and worth the extra room. Flight was delayed by an hour outgoing and delayed just over an hour coming back. Seats tiny and not the most comfortable.

Arrival at Hurghada....finally got luggage, paid for visa and went through passport control. Once through look for the guys with the red sea holiday boards, whilst you fly TC this hotel is exclusive to Red Sea, the guys will then take you to your bus. Bus ride comfortable and short journey of 30 mins.

Quite a sight to see when driving through the grounds at night, beautiful gardens.
Check in very quick and easy, Rooms comfortable, clean and adequate, yes bathrooms require updating but suitable for use Showers not the most powerful but do the job. Air conditioning a little tempramental, sometimes nice and cool, sometimes not.
The grounds are lovely. Pool is nice size and provides a welcome cool down from the hot egyptian sun.

Food - for what you pay for this holiday its adequate, there is always something to eat. We avoided the lagoon restaurant on the beach as there were lots of flies landing on the food on display, very off putting.

The snorkelling is amazing, its the first time I have ever tried snorkelling and was not sure I would like it, I loved it.......my only regret......I did not buy a digital underwater camera prior to going. I did get a disposable one but how I wish I had got a digital.

If you like tea and coffee in your room take a travel kettle as these facilities are not provided. Though All inclusive, the minibar is not, we took out a few home comforts and used the minibar for cans of pop we had taken ourselves.

From previous reviews I read these points seemed to be the main issue threaded throughout reviews so I will try to address them -

1. Not everything All Inclusive - No it is not......however, the all inclusive options is completely adequate, we did not spend 1 penny more at the hotel, anything not included or optional extras were clearly pointed out on menus etc.
2. Tipping - tips are not expected by the staff here (not like other places in Egypt) and often the waiters had turned and left before I could get my hand near my pocket. However small tips are gratefully accepted by the staff, they work long hours in blazing heat for very very little pay. We took £30 in pound coins and used these to tip, alternatively 10 egyptian pound note (about £1.15). we did not tip constantly and always got good service whether we did or we didn't.
3. Germans - yes the hotel is very popular with Germans, again I did not find this a problem.
4. The beach is rocky - this is a place with a coral shelf and amazing fish to boot.....coral is rocky by nature and if it wasn't for the coral, they would not have the fish.
5. Entertainment - amusing for all the wrong reasons - the hotel could save money and just not bother, when the "entertainment" is not on they play relaxing chill out music, if I were the manager I would stick to the music ha ha ha ha
6. Some of the reviews and forums debate......grand makadi.....or makadi palace? The two hotels are side by side, Palace guests have full use of grand and its restaurants etc, however the grand is limited to use of the palace. I did not visit the palace so cannot comment but what I can tell you is that my only complaint for this hotel is that we were over run with palace guests, at the pool and the restaurants, a couple of the palace guests even requested to be moved to the grand....so for me that told its own story.

If you go, you must wander out of the hotels beach area, to the the left, you sign in and out with security, this beach is spoilt a little by rubbish washed ashore but if you can overlook this it offers some stunning scenery and the second best sunset I have ever seen. (second to the sunset over the nile)

In summary, if you want a bustling, busy, party place go to hurghada, if you want to see markets, traditional egyptian culture go to hurghada.

If you want a hassle free holiday, pure relaxation with nothing to do but suit yourself, in comfortable surroundings then come here, you will not be disappointed.

Both myself and my partner had a tummy upset whilst there but was easily resolved with some cheap asda pills we took with us. I do not think its anything that could have been helped, its a hazard of any holiday abroad, heat, alcohol, different foods, sea water, pool water, tap water, the list is endless.

I did not find haggling an issue at this hotel, which was a shame, I love haggling, If you do find yourself venturing off somewhere which requires haggling heres my advice - decide what you want to pay for something, eg £30, (they will want something ridiculous like £100 english, but offer half what you want to pay, they will come down a little, you go up a little and so on, until you reach your ideal price, once you have reached this, stick to it.....if they won't take it (which they won't) thank them for their time but politely tell them you will look elsewhere, trust me you will get it for the price you wanted. The only time this will fail is when you are offering much less than the true value of an item, at which point they will let you walk away.

if you have booked this hotel for your holiday, you are very lucky.....I will return and recommend it to anyone.

If you haven't booked yet......what are you waiting for?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Where do I start......hurghada airport, brill.... we booked with co-op travel; the flight was with thomas cook, but the actual holiday was with red sea holidays, they have their own check in desk which was good, as the thomas cook desk was jammed. I dont think it mattered really which desk you went to so go for the quietest one, (I think they just want your money for your visa which is 13 english pounds per person). It took about 35 mins to get to the hotel, the rep was called Ishmal, and was very helpful.

Ok down to business, the hotel, great............would definitely go back. All the staff were so friendly, never a day where they didnt have a smile on their faces. Visit Mahmood in his very small bar just off the beach, brilliant, also the terrace bar where you will find Emad, great. The guys at the starfish bar round the pool will look after you aswell. Food was good too, we were there for a week and there was something different to eat everyday, with a number of choices of places to eat.

The entertainment wasn't very good but it doesn't tend to be in egypt, so if your ideal night is listening to a woman crucifying a tina turner song or a bloke trying to be a rock star then its for you :)

Take some one u.s dollars with you and tip small,i.e. 1 dollar at a time, believe me it will go a long way.

Would I take children, it depends what they like to do, if they like to splash in the pool all day then yes....... if they want slides and a big play area then no.

The room was fine, bathroom a little tired, but sufficient for what we wanted. You can use some of the facilities at the Makadi Palace next door, but other than lunch there one day we didn't bother.

The snorkling experience is fantastic, but the hotel could really do with a jetty as it is quite difficult to make your way out to the reef, as it is very rocky.

The flight home wasn't as good as going, and we had either put more than a few pounds on, or the seats were smaller. It wasn't very comfortable at all.

Overall we had a great time and wish we had booked for two weeks! Enjoy your holiday :-)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Standish, Wigan, Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I and children 19 and 14 have just returned from a week at the Grand Makadi. The flight with T Cook was fine, no complaints at all. Arrived in the evening. No problems with the transition from the airport to the hotel. The Red Sea reps are excellent, very friendly and make you feel looked after. My views on the hotel overall are:-

Pros: It is a beautiful hotel set in very clean beautiful grounds. Many staff are constantly working to make sure it is spotless. I read in some of the literature that they spray the grounds with insecticide every day at sunrise and sunset to ensure there are no crawlies around and I must say we did not see anything. The insecticide is not harmful to humans or the environment. The pool is lovely and very clean and there are plenty of staff to bring you drinks all day long if you give them a small tip. We could also use the facilities of the Makadi Palace next door where we would have breakfast and lunch most days and use the pools there. The hotel is right on the beach, although it is very rocky and you must wear beach shoes. My children loved the snorkelling in the sea, they thought it was amazing to see the coral reefs and many different types of fish. There is also a camel on the beach, my children had a ride on it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Cons: The rooms in the hotel are dated and need modernising, especially the bath in the bathroom, but we found the beds to be clean and comfortable and always had a good nights sleep. The food was ok, not brilliant. There are a few places to eat, but we found the Italian to be the best. At 3.30pm you could have cake, coffee and ice creams which we really enjoyed. The entertainment in the evening was not good, usually a singer or a saxaphone player. On our 3rd day our stomachs started to feel a bit grumbly so we got some tablets from the hotel shop and after a couple of days it cleared up.

Overall, if you are looking for a week of total relaxation lying by the pool, staying in a clean and comfortable hotel then this would be suitable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Makadi Hotel? Share your experiences!