“Fab week at the Grand Makadi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Makadi Hotel

You added The Grand Makadi Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Makadi Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Egypt (Formerly The Grand Makadi)   |
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Fab week at the Grand Makadi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fabulous week at the Grand Makadi! Booked through Travel Zoo and was a little apprehensive as the price seemed to be too good to be true however plesantly surprised would have been an understatement! BEAUTIFUL hotel, lovely staff, good food, GREAT beach and huge rooms not to mention sunshine filled days!
Travelled with three of my girlfriends & we had no complaints. Admittedly some parts of the hotel are a little tired but it didnt make any odds to us. The hotel itself was still very pretty.
Visit the nearby safari park for camel rides, quad bikes and to meet some locals. Was about £30 return for the four of us and i would guestimate that it was a 25min drive at most! The entertainment was a little boring of an evening HOWEVER you can venture to Makadi Palace just next door for a livelier atmosphere.
Would most definately go back to this hotel! No doubt :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Reading everyones reviews of the hotel before going on holiday, we were very excited and thought this would be our perfect holiday. The hotel is very nice, the pool is huge, the hotel and pool area are very spacious and the opportunity to snorkel every day is amazing.

The food was good, the buffet had lots of choice and we were impressed with this. We especially loved the italian and Caribbean restaurants. I would definitely suggest eating at these restaurants at night and not the buffet or you will of had enough of the buffet by the end!

However, there are a few big issues we had with our holiday. The first is the drinks. During the day by the pool it's great, there are bars where you can get your own. However, in the buffet restaurant for lunch you are waited on and we often went our whole meal without being asked or being able to get the attention of waiters to get the drinks we wanted. In the heat, being thirsty it was very frustrating! Also, they are quite small so they go quickly.

This problem was carried on into the evenings. There is a small bar to sit at, but it was always full, which was not a problem as there is lots of seats to sit at. However, if you sit at any of these seats you have the same problem of being waited on. I even went up to the bar to get drinks as it was taking so long, but he told me to sit back down as unless you sit directly at the bar you are told to wait for the waiters to come and get you a drink. It was useless service and the people we got chatting to next to us thought the same. We had no chance of getting even slightly drunk as the drinks just took so long! This is not the fault of the waiters, but the lack of staff. The waiters have so much to do and so many people to keep happy it is just impossible for them. We often got forgotten about and they'd come over half an hour later and apologise and then disappear again. I don't blame them at all because they had so much to do, but we were not impressed with this service. It was very frustrating and we ended up going to sleep early every night because we got fed up of waiting.

The entertainment was also poor. We felt no atmosphere at all. There was singers, but being a 5* hotel we expected a lot more. There was nothing to keep you engaged, the singers were good to watch for a while, but not every night all night. This also resulted us going back and watching films on the tv, which seemed ridiculous considering we were on holiday.

The is also a lack of atmosphere in the day, i would suggest some music playing. We visited another hotel to go to their waterpark and they had music playing, which made such a difference, although this is a minor issue.

We visitied the waterpark for a day trip, it was very enjoyable and a great day out, I would definitely recommend it.

Overall, we found the days enjoyable, the pool and snorkelling were both amazing. We had a great trip out and the food was good, but the evenings and service were poor. I would not of wanted to stay another week. It may just be because we're young and want more opportunities to do and need more to keep us entertained. It is in the middle of no where and we regretted not going somewhere with a town so we had somewhere to explore and enjoy. I can see why it has previously been rated so high as It's a great relaxing holiday, but for young couples like us it wasn't the right choice. It needs more atmosphere and entertainment to make it the perfect holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our first time in Egypt for myself and my girlfriend. After reading most of the reviews on here we were very excited for a holiday at the Grand Makadi.

First of all the Rep 'George' was very polite and helpful. The transportation from the airport to the hotel was very smooth, apart from the boy loading our bags on the coach demanding a tip before he put them on. On arrival to the hotel the check-in process was very smooth, with us receiving our keys to our room within minutes. We were shown to our room and told our bags will be up shortly. Desperate for a shower, our luggage still hadn't turned up until 45mins later, by which time we'd missed the opportunity to get some dinner before the restaurants closed.

Our room (1201) was really nice, i think we were lucky to have such a good view of the sea and the pool, as well as a balcony to the left to watch the sunset. The bed was massive and comfy also. However the lighting was very poor, we had a light on top of the tv that didn't work, another wall lamp that also didn't work, and my bedside light that required occasion whacking to make that work! The bathroom was very tired looking, with the shower no more than a steady dribble onto a scrap heap- like bath with no comfortable temperature. I believe the owner is well aware of the refurbishments needed to parts of the hotel though.

The hotel facilities were plentiful. A nice little ice-cream coffee bar near reception from 3pm and lots of bars with nice tasting local beer. The Wifi was useless and we had quite a few powercuts , one of which caused the air-conditioning to break for a few hours.

The food itself was a little average. A lot of the people we met seemed to enjoy it which made us wonder where they had been eating.. The lagoon beach restaurant served international buffet which had a good selection, but overall i found most of it pretty tasteless. The same goes for the Italian, we waited an age for some of our food, only wishing it lived up to the wait. The Caribbean where a mushroom pastry starter came out as two bits of bread with some sauce and mushrooms. The french was my favorite, although overall what we ordered was not really what came out on the plate.

I guess what was most disappointing were the staff. I'm not sure if its favouritism to the Germans but a lot of the 'friendly, smiley, couldn't do enough for you' service we were expecting never came to fruition. Whenever we were by the pool the pool boys who took our drink never spoke to my girlfriend, and automatically assumed she was having what i was having! I understand the bar staff in the evenings were very busy, but it's not that hard to smile once in a while is it? I went with a lot of tipping change but ended up not using hardly any of it. There were a few exceptions however: the chap serving the ice cream and some of the waiters.

Another annoyance was the housekeeping who would knock at awkward times in the evening, such as getting changed for dinner. They would just open the door and walk in after 3 knocks before i'd even had time to get to the door: Que rushing around half naked looking for something to cover up! One of these occurred at 9am when both of us were still in bed asleep, he did apologise though. In the end we permanently left the do not disturb sign on the door along with the door lock & latch. Not something I'd have to do before in other hotels.

Overall there were highs and lows to our stay at the Grand Makadi. The room we were given was nice, the weather perfect, the snorkelling was excellent ( you can rent the snorkels for free at one of the beach huts) and the hotel grounds very pretty. Food and drink were always available throughout the day too. But the disappointment with the treatment by the staff, the food, the housekeeping , and the god-awful evening entertainment , consisting of cheesy covers of purple rain, dire straights etc( which turns out is entertaining as it's so bad) means we won't be returning next year.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

On arrival at the airport we were greeted by Red Sea holiday representatives which were very helpful, friendly and informative throughout the whole trip, providing lots of information from how to avoid being ripped off by taxi drivers, to trips and how to make the most of your holiday. They were not pushy in the slightest for you to book anything, just very helpful.
The hotel grounds itself were beautiful - gorgeous gardens, large pool, many restaurants, great room, and very clean facilities. There was plenty of seating all day and night and the staff were all very polite, entertaining and provided a great service. The light entertainment in the evening was great. The on site shop was useful with everything you would need but the shopkeeper, although very friendly does try to get you to buy the more expensive stuff!
We went on the trip to paradise island which was great - 2 really good snorkelling spots and a great beach location on the island. We had a nice lunch and the rep was really friendly and got us involved in the beach volleyball, a very nice trip to go on!
This hotel was described as a 5* and although it is a great hotel I wouldn't say it was 5*. There were many restaurants which provided a large selection however I would say the food quality could be a little better to meet the 5* standard - the Caribbean restaurant portions are quite small but a really nice setting, and the quality of the italian in the hotel wasn't that great however the Lebanese was very nice! We also booked twice in the italian for dinner and the first time they had put us in the next day when we asked for the same day and the next time they didn't have our booking at all! We went to the Chinese and the Indian in the mall which were both great however the menu is limited but you can pay for a few extra dishes which were lovely. Also breakfast could do with a few extra toasters! The rooms were large, clean and really nice but the bath was a bit old and damaged. The wifi is not the best, i frequently could not get on in the busy times but it is free which is a bonus. We also had a day where the electrics kept going, even in the Chinese restaurant they had to bring out the candles, but it was only the one day so I'm not sure how frequently this happens. The walk to the other restaurants is also very dark and could definitely do with some more lighting.

Considering the price we paid, this hotel was fantastic and I would recommend the hotel to others, anyone who wants a chilled out holiday in the sun, good service and great facilities, this hotel is Perfect. The hotel has a lot of Germans and quite a few English, with families and both younger and older couples. There is something for everyone at this hotel and is a great cheap and cheerful holiday.

Room Tip: We were offered an upgrade when booking for a fee but we didn't take it and got the upgrade anyw...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
north wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We wanted to book a late get away so decided to go to Egypt, we left 30 May 2013 for Hurghada This was a cheapy holiday booked through Travel-zoo, Res Sea Travel were looking after us, it said 5 star I thought OK we will see. For the price we paid.
Arriving in Hurghada airport we were quickly taken through to out bus and was told only one stop our hotel, fantastic in 30 mins.
We arrived in the hotel, a complex of 5 hotels all secure, we were given a drink and told to relax for a few mins, then the rep said here's your key and your bags are in your room, waw what service.
Our room was big, we had upgraded to a junior suit and it was, very clean and a FREE safety deposit box the room it's self needed updating but this was no problem, the cleaner cleaned every day and would tidy up your shoes etc, clean towels every day if you wanted and you would have a knock at around 6pm to check if you needed clean beach towels.
We had been told to go to the buffet Restaraunt that night and meet in the morning, we went out and I spayed an Italian Restaraunt, I asked any chance for a table that night..... NO PROBLEM ok thanks
We were told the ins and outs in the meeting next day and left looking forward to the week ahead.
We had 8 restaurants to choose from as we'll as the buffer one (only used it once) and 3 retardants to use for lunch
Choices from
Lebanese fantastic
Indian fantastic
Chinese fantastic
2 Italian only went to one due to time restrictions that was.......yes fantastic
Tam tam, good but not as good as Lebanese
Caribbean , we went there for lunch, lovely and the evening menu looked really nice
We never got to go to the French but was told it was good.
5 of the restaurants were 3 min walk away which was nice, the other we're by the bar / pool area
There is also 3 snack bars for burgers etc and a kebab area and a children's snack bar ( we didn't use these for food only drinks)
Also by the bar area is the after 8 disco which also changes into the ice cream and afternoon tea area between 3 and 5pm, umbreleavable we went here too a few time.
The bar... Drinks served between 10am and midnight, bottles of water left in a cooler for you to help yourself. Service very friendly we seemed to have the same waiter Hamed, so polite and friendly and always found us a seat, the bar got busy in the evening as that was where the entertainment was, but we always had a seat, entertainment was good, a singer one night, belly dancers another etc, good to watch and chat. We never went to the disco or heard it midnight was late enough as we were up and out early every day.
Pool area, here we had a man who found us a bed, set it up for us and then served us drinks all day, he was very friendly and walked miles a day but always smiling.the pool it's self was nice, cleaned daily but there was a few tiles missing.
We went to the beach a few times, lovely but I'm not a lover of sand!!!!! The beach has semi circle wind breakers and 2 beds to your private area, service here also like the pool.
There is a mall a few mins walk where you can buy all sorts however there is a little shop in the hotel which has EVERYTHING and very reasonable, there is a free but to Hurgada twice a day that hake 30 mins, we didn't bother to go
Check out, we could stay in our room until the bus picked us up, this made the journey home easier and more relaxing.
Tipping, you can if you want, not forced we did as I felt I was we'll served by everyone.
We have has a fantastic holiday, made special by the people we met and the service we had
I always said I would never repeat a holiday, but with this I'm making an exception GOOD TIME HAD BY ALL

• Stayed June 2013
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I thought I would leave my review with lots of information as I find this helps for future booking of holidays for not only myself but also for others.
I had a 1 week stay at the Grand Makadi and returned home today.
On arrival I was impressed by the building and it has that traditional Egyptian style.
We had to leave our luggage outside the building and wait for the staff to come and collect our luggage. There was a bit of confusion and we ended up following a group of people to locate our rooms with one of the staff and were stopping outside each person’s room. We were hot and tired and later found out we were nowhere near our room so ended up leaving the group of people and found our own room and the staff brought our cases to our room after.
Tamer the manager greeted us on arrival as we had spoke via email as I had requested if I could have a kettle in my room so that I could make a morning brew. I also informed him that I was celebrating my birthday and wedding anniversary on my stay at the hotel to which he had surprised us with a reservation at the Italian restaurant with a birthday cake and a free bottle of wine. We were also lucky enough to be guest of the week and experienced a lovely dinner down at the beach on one of the evenings.
The food at the hotel was nice and lots of varieties for each individual tastes.
The staff were very professional and hard working. Abdul was a delight to get to know with his smiling face and helpfulness with the shisha.
Free bottles of water all day and night on request and these can be picked up by the outside bar or by the lobby bar.
Free wifi available at the lobby but not too good at busy periods for example during the evening whilst the entertainment is on or during busy breakfast time.
We had a power cut 3 times during our stay but we heard from our tour guide that this was due to the government and affected all of hugarda.
Entertainment was ok and different acts each night but did see 2 acts twice during our stay which was a bit tiring.
The poolside is quiet and no music played during the day at the pool like other hotels I’ve stayed at but this can be sorted with a nice handy ipod.
Whilst we were staying at the hotel we were bitten every day or night by some small insect but unknown what kind. So were others. Repellent needed or bite cream needed also.
The downside was the aircon in our room as it was not cool enough. I have experienced better in other hotels and found that the lobby area at the grand makadi seemed to have a better aircon ( ICE COOL ). We did not complain as it appeared to be the same in other people’s rooms.
Our Red Sea excursions were fantastic and were led by Abu the tour guide. He will look after you and is a very funny, knowledgeable and also entertaining man.
Try the paradise trip and the quads!!!!
One last word of advice if you order a pizza at the Italian during lunchtime be prepared to wait 40 minutes as it gets busy in there!
Lastly a big thank you to Tamer for looking after us, you must be very proud of your staff as they work very hard and well done to you!
Mr and Mrs Berman 2103

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and for your detailed feedback
We are all honored in being part of your anniversary and birthday celebration. Again we would like to thank you for sharing with us such special occasions. I have passed your comments to all the mentioned staff and in return the team and I are truly grateful for your recognition. I regret to hear the issues you encountered during your stay subject to your arrival and the delayed pizza for lunch therefore, please forgive us for not being on hand during the situation. I look forward to your future visit provided our improved services and hospitality
Once again thank you and warm regards
Tamer El Dieb
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Makadi on week from 27th of May 2013, room good size and clean but a bit tired in places. Good view from balcony towards the sea and beach, food is ok to good especially at the Caribbean and Tabousch which is Lebanese were the food was out standing along with the service, breakfast was at the Italian named Leonardo which is to small to accommodate at rush, found the staff here not as polite a little rude and with out doubt favoured the German tourist. During the last few days there were lots of issues with the electric supply which obviously effected the air conditioning and on one occasion I even got trapped in the lift picked up the phone within the lift which didn't work or just wasn't answered.

The pool was in need of attention with lots of tiles missing which didn't look good and which of a night was a haven for frogs who I can assure you did go in the water which the wife found a bit off putting.

Would highly recommend the beach dinner which was very intimate run by the staff from the Caribbean and have the sea food platter it was excellent, overall we did have a good time but wont be going back.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and for sharing with us your impressions
Your valuable comments have been accordingly observed and I assure you your concerns will be rectified appropriately. I do apologize for the defect telephone set in the lift and for the repeated issue in Hurghada with the electricity supply. However, I am pleased that overall you had good time with us, but nevertheless, I am hopeful and I would be grateful if given the opportunity to host you once again in order demonstrate our services on an exceptional high.
In the meantime, for any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly
Thank you once again and kind regards
Tamer El Dieb

Been to The Grand Makadi Hotel? Share your experiences!