“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Makadi Hotel

You added The Grand Makadi Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Makadi Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Egypt (Formerly The Grand Makadi)   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let’s start by saying this is not a 5* hotel but a relaxed and enjoyable 4* hotel.

The hotel mainly catered for the Russians and Germans, but we could always find something to eat from a burger and chips at the two snack bars or BBQ at the lagoon in the day to the buffet at night. Use the options to eat at the other restaurants, you do have to book but it gives you variety.

I paid the extra for a junior suite which gives you lots of room and a large outside space, the furniture was a bit dated but to be honest the weather was so fantastic I was on the beach from 7am till 6pm so only used the room to sleep.

The room was cleaned daily, but I did have to ask for the mop water to be changed as it left a smell in the room.

If you drink the soft drinks in the room you will receive a bill each night payable at reception, if its not filled daily, speak to the clearer as he chose to do this as and when he liked. Big bottles of water are available free from the main bar.

Beach towels were collected @ 6pm each night and replaced ready for the next day.

If you use a hair dryer, take your own as the one in the bathroom has no power so you would struggle dry long hair.

Entertainment at the hotel was ok, but we met fellow Brits and the bar staff kept us entertained.

If you love the sea you must buy beach shoes due to the rocks, these can be bought at the small shops in the hotel for @ £4, this will be money well spent as the water and the fish are fantastic.

Overall it was a fantastic week, friendly staff, plenty of sun and I only paid half of what other guests had paid due to a late booking. I only got back today and I’ve already looked for next April 
P.S - If you tend to get bitten take plenty of repellent and use it day and night.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and have a junior suite, its will give you a nice big room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest
I do thank you so much for your comments and most importantly for your trust in or product
I am very pleased you enjoyed your recent holiday with us and we are all delighted you have already planned a return visit to the Grand Makadi once again. At the least I assure you we will oversee all your future visits and gladly provide you with several equally enjoyable experiences to follow
Again, thank you and we anxiously look forward to having you with us once again
Warmest regards
Tamer El Dieb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week at The Grand Makadi, Hurghada. We both thought the hotel and grounds were lovely. We were lucky as we had a junior suite and were expecting a standard room. The room was large with a balcony, clean, a bit dated but on the whole ok. We found the gardens to be realy good for sunbathing as there was plenty of shade and even though the hotel was full plenty of sunbeds even on the beach. The restaurants in the Markadi Mall were clean and the food good. The staff are friendly without being over friendly. There are other hotels nearby that you can walk to on the beach promanade:- The Makadi Palace (larger than the Grand with more entertainment) the Makadi Spa (upmarket hotel) and the SunWing (waterslides, wave pools and fantasic kiddies area) I would go to all three as they are all good but of course more expensive than the Grand. The only down side to the Grand was the entertainment is not brilliant but there is entertainment. There wasn't much entertainment in the day also only Gym and volley Ball. However for the money we paid we had wall to wall sunshine, good food, good service and a nice room. What more do you want.

Dear Mr. Jeff
Thank for your review and for sharing with us your positive impressions
I am very pleased we met your overall expectations and I appreciate very much your praise and evaluation of the Grand Makadi. The team and I are extremely happy you returned home with pleasant memories of your recent holiday with us and are thankful for sharing with us your magnificent makadi experience. We eagerly await your return and look forward to see you in the very near future
Kind regards
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I would stay at the grand makadi hurghada when land based as I found the manager and all the staff to be honest and guest friendly 10/10 i have been three times and all have very good when I stayed in april I lost my gold bracelet when we had a massage and was very good that good we went beck for more I went to reception and asked if anyone had handed it in and they said no they asked me were I was I told them we had been for a massage so he phoned the manager and said it had been found and was in the safe.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Robert
Thank you so much for your review and for your very kind feedback
Firstly I would like to express my gratitude for your recognition and trust in both the team of staff and our organization. Please rest assured the entire team and I have been delighted in being part of all your previous holidays at the Grand Makadi and unquestionably remain at your service during any given occasion. Furthermore we look very much forward to future visits provided our limitless efforts of service and warmest hospitality
Again I truly thank you, very best regards
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Read all the reviews.Ok not a 5* but I have come to expect that in Turkey /Eygpt that a 5* is not a 5* but a 3*.
Hotel had fabulous coral bay which made up for all the other area's that didn't live up to scratch.
Had a Fabulous time .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear guest
We are very pleased that you experienced a fabulous time while staying with us
I happily accept your value of our house reef and I believe we are very fortunate to have such unique coral reef with its breathtaking marine life directly at our door-step
Once again I am glad you enjoyed your overall holiday
We look forward to accommodating again, kind regards
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

They advertise this hotel as a 5 star hotel !! IT´S NOT !!!... Overall a fair rating of this hotel would be between 3-4 Star whereas the bath in the room gets 0 stars....Also the reception does not give the impression that they take women seriously which was annoying and something one could expect

Arrival:

We arrived around 2.30 AM in the morning with a very tired girl who is 2 1/2 years old. The Red Sea staff member (s ) showed zero concern nor acted as he had any decent training in hospitality service. He decided to show two other couples their rooms before attending to us leaving us alone waiting with our fatigue child.

The room, a junior suit was quite large. Ok clean wise but the furniture look tired and in decline and the worst part was the bath which was only to be used for shower as it was really really disgusting.

The food was ok however the breakfast is a major disaster. The hotel also offers food outside the hotel as part of the all inclusive - The Indian was terrible ! Tried the ala carte Chicken Vindaloo which was around 7 Euro and a major disappointment - it contained 4 small chicken pieces and potatoes and a sauce which certainly was not indian - Go for the chinese place which was friendly and served good food.

The Swimming pool is large and nice I must say but also showed signs of decline - The beach was also nice but would not recommend this place for families with young kids as there is no sand and only only rocks.

The staff was ok - Would recommend to tip if you want to see a smile.

Last not least, the people working in the reception area was not friendly nor does it feel like they take women seriously.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for you review and for sharing with us your valuable comments
Firstly I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you and your child encountered during check-in. I deeply regret we were unable to transmit our true standards in customer service and guest satisfaction.
Please note that all your comments have been closely monitored and are received with major concern, while I assure you my priority in resolving all aspects that reflected your overall stay
Meanwhile, if you are to reconsider and return to the Grand Makadi, I would be grateful if given that opportunity and I personally will assure you the most pleasant experience possible
Again, thank you very much for your feedback and kindest regards
Est Anglia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We wanted a relaxing, sunny, all inclusive holiday, with value for money, and we got it at the Grand. Everything mentioned in previous reviews here is more or less correct - a bit of tired furniture in bathrooms, or missing tiles in swimming pool etc. BUT... the whole experience, the hotel position, cleanliness, reef snorkling, gardens, ambience, food choices, & amazingly friendly staff at all levels, is SUPERB. The general manager regularly walks around his hotel in a kind and friendly manner, making sure his guests have the best holiday experience possible. We could mention by name plenty of staff members who took care of our needs, but actually every single one of them was courteous and helpful wherever and whenever we encountered them. It was a joy to spend a week in this hotel, the staff make it so, as well as the most pleasant fellow guests you could wish to meet. Try it yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Our junior suite was in the BEST location, with a sunny morning balcony which was huge. Room no 215...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your review and for your very kind recommendations.
I would personally like to thank you for complimenting our product and the entire team of staff.
I am delighted your overall experience was a joy and likewise it was certainly a joy and a pleasure having you among us. We appreciate your trust in our services and establishment, and we eagerly await your return to the Grand Makadi where you will be guaranteed our highest levels of service and hospitality
Again, thank you very much and kind regards
Guildford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I think it is wrong to call this a 5 star, however it is decent enough for the money. I would expect a pool that does not have tiles missing, a bath that does not look like it has been on a scrap heap for 20 years and if they say they will fix a broken shower within an hour I would like it fixed before I leave!
That aside the staff are very good, it is a stunning looking hotel at night and we enjoyed it. The food was OK but it is geared towards the Germans rather than English but I always found something I liked.

Room Tip: Don't except room 2055 it has a nasty bath and a broken shower.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for you review and for sharing with us your impressions
I truly regret our product did not meet your personal expectations and apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with your room. Please note all your comments are received with major concern and assure you your previous accommodation unit will be subject to immediate refurbishment
Tamer El Dieb

Been to The Grand Makadi Hotel? Share your experiences!