“Not 5 star” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makadi Bay, Makadi Bay 623, Egypt   |
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Makadi Bay
“Not 5 star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

In my opinion this hotel is not 5 star god knows how it has managed to achieve this. Their adopted moto is welcome home!! People actually fall for this rubbish.
Hotel is dark and dingy painted in drab colours.
We had to change room as the room we were allocated everything we touched fell apart and it was just like a two star apartment. New room much better but not perfect.
The staff are rude unless you tip from the start. We were treat like idiots one waiter was horrible to my partner all holiday not putting alchol in his drinks.. saying he had run out of things then giving to others. Muttering under his breath and once ordered a drink in the hotel bar and he never brought it.
If you tip they are your best friend its really fun to watch as people actually think that they have made friends for life take a reality check you are paying for people to pretend that they like you. If you are of the older generation they will bend over backwards for you in hope of a large tip.
Food was good in the restraunts but was always cold. Buffet restraunt was not good.
Constant hastle from shop workers to buy from their shop along with the animation team who dont leave you alone.
Last day was eating a pizza when saw some blue onion.....? Surprise surprise I was vomiting for 48 hrs when I got home.
Toilet s stink and are unclean. Staff always asking for english pound notes and I was shouted at by a bell boy for putting my own case on the coach.
Best part of hol was weather other than that its all to fake for my liking. Try the hotel next door give this one a miss.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

What can I say! Every thing was just excellent, we were originally given a twin room but was changed as soon as I asked. The staff bend over backwards to help and make your stay perfect. They work very hard for little money and are grateful for any tips although they treat you the same if you don't tip. We stayed in block 38 close to a family pool where the towel attendant was most helpful and the barman El Ghandi gave excellent service. The animation team came and spoke to everyone to see if all was ok and asked if you needed anything special mention to Marley. The lobby bar staff were all excellent especially Omar and Gamalle and the after 12 waiter Nadier keeping us topped up with cocktails!
Food was excellent always things to eat in main resteraunt and the al a cartes were out of this world, highly recommend paying the extra and having tappenaki in the Asian the chef was brill.
The only criticism is the wifi, I didn't mind paying the small amount it cost but it wasn't the best connection. Had an excellent holiday and could of easily stayed longer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have just come back from a week in hurghada with my mum and dad. It was my first time in hurghada and I will definitely be coming back. Everyone is very very friendly and caring and hoping your stay is the best it can be. The hotel is massive, it's got 8 different swimming pools 6 are heated and also they have an amazing kids club and park for the children which is ideal for your child. All the animation are brilliant but especially kastello, madoo,Marley and Kano they made my holiday and I'm definitely going to miss them. The first couple of days I was there it took time before I knew where the entertainment was but I soon settled in. I played archery with Marley, Latino and belly dancing with Kano, ti bo with kastello, Zumba with madoo and darts with irina! Joining in with the entertainment passes time away and you get to meet new people. Unfortunately the weather was cloudy most days but still quite hot but We did go the wrong time of year so what do u expect haha. we went all all inclusive so we didn't have to pay out money unless it was our own choice for example the Internet which was cheap anyway. The food is nice but the same old everyday! I recommend to try the steak house and the Mexican they were my favourite out of them all very tasty food. I celebrated my birthday there and the maid decorated my room it was lovely and very thoughtful. I had my birthday meal in the Italian they brought me a cake out and all sang happy birthday to me and they got me up dancing and everyone was clapping such a good atmosphere! The entertainment at night was gold also they had a different show every night in their ampethetre and then did their party dances on the dance floor and everyone got up dancing it was brilliant. We got upgraded from a standard room to a family room which is a hell a lot of difference so if you have the chance I would take it. The cleanliness of the rooms was amazing, maids cleaning everyday. You leave it messy in the morning you come back to it and it is spotless.

Lancs.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I said twelve months ago that this hotel was the best so far. I have never returned to the same hotel twice as there are so many to choose from. This year I did and I was right to do so.
Even better.
All I want from a holiday is to lie in the sun, eat and drink. I am in the hospitality industry so it is my turn to be waited on when on holiday. Not for me the hustle of buffet restaurants with 7 a la cartes to choose from! Each one used twice. Simple booking system. Rumour of an Indian one opening soon. I will try that one next year as I will return.
It was very windy on the first week but the sun shined down on us at the adults only pool in a sheltered corner. They have apparently ordered windbreakers for the pool.
Staff everywhere could not do enough.
Our room 27106 was immaculate every day.
Special mentions and thanks to Mahmoud, Bassam and Ali at the pool.
Mohseen and Kahled in the lobby bar.
Mohamed Hassain in the Asian and main restaurant. I suspect, an as yet undervalued member of staff who will go far.
Mohammed, the main guy in the Bedouin tent.
Snack bar pizza chef that made me one with chocolate and banana! Thankyou.
The controller. You know who you are.
I could see improvements and sensed less staff but it did not detract from our holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

just got back from a 3 weeks stay at the sunrise royal makadi resort hurghada From the time you arrive until the moment you leave the staff could not do enough for you the food in main restaurant was great plenty to choose from and all the a la carte was the same also we ate in the al carte 20 nights out of the 21 nights stay no problem booking them We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: none of the rooms were bad we had a garden vue block 25 and wood be happy to go back in same room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was recommended this resort by a colleague, and it did not disappoint.

I had emailed the hotel prior to our stay and requested to be put in one of the newer blocks, I did this as i had seen it on another trip advisor review. We stayed in Block 15, which was central to everything and our room was perfect for what we required from it. Spacious and clean, full working amenities and fresh towels everyday. We are 2 friends holidaying together so the room was big enough we wasn't tripping over each other. The air conditioning unit could be a little noisy but it wasn't to hot so we turned it off. But i think thats down to personal preference, By the third night i had got used to it.

Khaled the Thomas Cook Rep, Made us feel extrememly welcome from the start of our holiday and the holiday started with drinks in the recption, while waiting for our roomkey. From that moment on the service was fab and remained constant through the holiday.

The pool was extremely clean, although too cold. However, We chose to sun bathe near the main pool which we knew had no heating in it. so our fault not the hotels. The pool attendants worked continuously cleaning it, or scrubbing tiles. and the towel attendant was just as helpful and always perfectly polite. The gardens were beautiful and well maintained.

Food was very varied, it would be very hard to go to the buffet and not find something you like and if there was nothing then perhaps holidaying abroad isn't for you. the restaurants were very clean and well maintained, the Staff were extremely helpful and were constantly offering hot and cold beverages.

The A la Carte restaurants were lovely and again there was alot of choice, something for everyone, The touch screen booking system was easy to use and very quick and painless. You can also book 3 days in advance, so standing in a line at 10am every morning is hopefully a thing of the past with all inclusive hotels.

Animation team did there best, with the resources available, they did a childrens bit which was from 8pm to 9pm then adults from 9pm until 10pm, which at times was very amusing. They walk the main pool every morning greeting the guests and making an effort to get to know you. There is continuous activities through the day, from Aqua aerobics to Zumba, water polo to archery. Then as we was leaving the hotel the team members available came round and shook everyones hand, then waved us off. A lovely bunch of people.

We didn't go on any trips however we did use the Spa, These are an independant spa and are not part of the hotel. we paid £55 for a 100 minute tretament, this was a coffee body scrub, followed by a choclate body wrap. Then a 45 minute massage, with use of the sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi, it was a lovely experience, Not sure i would pay that money again but was a good way to start the holiday, They don't accept pound sterling coins (Notes only) so be careful. They did take them in the end, but reluctantly.

being around the pool all day you can get hassled by sellers, Make sure you use the red flags the hotel provide, This doesn't completely stop people approaching you. But certainly minimises it. Although if you do tell them no, they do leave you be.

The only thing which i found annoying was the manners of some of the other guests, I have always been told to always be polite and use my p's and q's, others have not been brought up on that principle. I found it dificult at first if i opened the door and a man would just barge me out the way coming from the other direction. But we got there in the end. But this is not the hotels fault and Thomas Cook did put a special paragraph in there welcome pack which encourages you to not get Discouraged by peoples manners and simply ignore it.

All in all we had a fab holiday and will be returning. Even after you check out cold beverages are proivided, Usual check out time is 12 lunchtime, But because we were not being picked up until 2pm they let us keep the room until 13.30pm at no extra cost. Although you do need to ask reception about this on a case by case basis.

The little speech from Khaleb the Thomas Cook rep as we were leaving on the coach was a great touch to what ended a super holiday. He is very funny and very informative. Can't wait to return for 10 days in September

Room Tip: Block 15, is very central to the restaurants and pools. Good area to stay in.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
LOUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Ive just returned from a holiday @ the Sunrise Royal & have got to say one of the best holidays ever. The themed restaurants are a plus with 7 in total with no restriction to the number of times used,The staff where extremely good well mannered , nothing was a problem to them when we needed anything. I must pay special compliments to both the Reception manager Hashem Lotfy who resolved an problem & dealt with it swiftly & effiecently. Furthermore the Animation Team was excellent, with special thanks to MEDO , Marley & Castella for making our stay most enjoyable.
I recommend anyone to visit the Sunrise Royal Makardi Bay.

Room Tip: We where in Block 14 which got the sun at the best times , water pressure was good in this block , q...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!