“I like it, but the food....” 4 of 5 stars

Tia Heights Makadi
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Egypt   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Sohag, Egypt
“I like it, but the food....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I like Tia height, I spent 3 nights ( september 2-6), the aqua is amazing, my children love it so much, the room is clean with average size, the pool is nice, we didn't use the beach, it is somewhat far away from our room, the peoples work there are very kind, polite and helpful...... the only thing not goes with 5 ***** hotel is the food, they only have limited varieties of food especially the breakfast, most kinds of food are not well prepared, there is only one big restaurant , the other two ( on the beach and in the aqua) serve sandwiches and snacks only.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Durban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was our fourth visit to Tia Heights, during the last 10 days in August. On arrival, after an overnight flight from S.Africa, we were welcomed at check in and quickly given an upgrade and a voucher for a meal and drinks at one of the a la Carte restaurants. Our bags were taken to our room which was in the main block - very spacious with a king size bed, and all amenities. It was spotlessly clean and stayed that way for our entire visit. Staff throughout including the animation team were very courteous and great fun. Special mention for Amr and Safaa in the lobby bar - these guys run a tight ship and coped very well with the amount of guests, especially the brats (children)! The upstairs bar/lounge area is huge with a lot less children... The Aqua Park (free entry) was fun, they just need more rings for some of the slides etc. The pool area was phenomenal and the pool bar was really nice to have sundowners. The beach is wider than any of the other resorts with the permanent brollies/loungers set back from the sea so it never felt crowded. Snorkling on the house reef was fantastic, and we walked 2 resorts north and found another excellent house reef which we spent 2 days exploring. On the day we left one of the staff informed us that just to the right of our resort were several small reefs whcih we shall explore next time.... The beach area was kept clean and tidy at all times. The all-inclusive beach restaurant was very handy for cold drinks all day, and snacks during lunch time ie burger and chips etc. We went on several snorkeling and diving trips with Extra Divers who are located on the border of the resort to the south. This is a very professional operation to dive with and their facilities and staff are 100%, and I would recommend them to anyone.
The main restaurant is incredibly busy at peak times (a bit of a bun fight with long queues) and the staff are under pressure, so we went upstairs to the Safaga restaurant which was quiet, especially if you sat towards the entrance. We had breakfast and lunch in the Prince Karim restaurant beside it (fantastic view of the bay) and it was virtually empty. For dinner there the gents must wear long trousers. The food was typical all-inclusive fare and actually at most times quite good, and we could always find something tasty to eat. Always when we travel abroad, if we are in a country where we cannot drink the tap water we avoid any raw foods which may have been washed or prepared in it eg lettuce etc. (had my worst case of food poisoning ever in Spain from the ice cubes!!).
We have noticed complaints about the use of grey water for watering the gardens - people must realise that they are on the edge of a desert and in this day and age must accept that this hotel is doing its best to look after a very scarce resource. The smell is only temporary!!
If you are into a beach holiday with fantastic weather and great snorkeling and diving, then this is a value for money destination - remember 5* Egypt is the equivalent of 3* Europe.
We had to wait until 3pm on our check out day for transfer, and we were given the use of the room until 2 pm at no extra charge. We will be back next year!!!!!

Room Tip: It's nice to be in the main building
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

OK I have never written a review for trip advisor before but felt I had to here. I am going to try to be objective and to put it into context I have been to Egypt before including Cairo and Luxor and I am well travelled to other less affluent areas of the world so I am not one of these people who expect to travel to an Egyptian 5* hotel and expect it to match up to The Dorchester.

This hotel was a big disappointment when we arrived. We had looked at their website and were expecting a fairly smart hotel. If you have looked at the website forget it or you will also have your expectations crushed.

Firstly some good points
1. The aqua park was excellent and well staffed and maintained. Staff very safety conscious and friendly.

2. The hotel staff tried their best and even upgraded our room on arrival. The management tried to help when a group of British tourists made a joint complaint about the food by letting us use an "a la carte" restaurant instead of the main al inclusive restaurant offering.

3. The beach and facilities (water sports, diving etc) was very good.

4.Nightly entertainment was reasonable.

Now the bad points -
1. Incredibly dirty. As I said I'm not new to Egypt but I've never seen such a poorly maintained and dirty facility anywhere in the world. The grounds are watered every evening using "recycled water" making the entire place smell like a sewage farm. I get the need to conserve water in such a hot country but there has to be a trade off.

2. The all inclusive restaurant was nothing short of disgusting. Dirty and a free for all where food spilled on floors was not cleaned and where staff were just overwhelmed by the less than hygienic guests from less civilised destinations. Food was tired/unappetising and there was little or no variety day to day. My whole family had stomach issues the entire two weeks (the first time in 30 years of travel I have had serious issues - if you know what I mean). To give you some context m wife and I took one look at the restaurant on the first night and knew what was coming.

3. The main pool area was dirty both in and out of the water. The pool has a swim up bar and this never helps with debris everywhere in the water (napkins, plastic cutlery, plastic glasses - you get the idea) Out of the water the sunbed area was filthy. I got out of the water on the first day and walked only 2 meters to the sun bed, sat on it and left two black footprints on the towel. The pool area needs hosing down and sweeping daily (but not with sewage water).

4. Thank god they upgraded our room on arrival or god knows what was in store. The room they gave us was not suitable for 2 adults and 2 children and when we were shown to it only had one bed big enough for 3. I complained and a single make shift single bed was brought in making it cramped and meaning one of our young sons had to sleep with us in the main bed. The bath also leaked meaning the floor flooded every time we took a shower. I didn't complain further about the room because I was aware that other guests had done so only to be move several times to rooms in similar state or worse. Having listened to the stories it seemed like we had come off lightly.

5. A small point but given the trouble in the north of the country the hotel was almost empty. On the last day we were due to leave at 16.15 and I asked if we could retain the room for a few hours so our boys could have a last dip in the pool and have somewhere to clean up. Even though they had hundreds of empty rooms they wanted $30 from me for the privilege. We ended up sitting for 4 hours in the lobby waiting for the transfer and couldn't wait to see the back of the place in the end.

We had a good holiday other than the hotel and the people in the Hurgada region were welcoming and friendly as ever so don't be put off travelling. On the hotel front I'm afraid to say this has to qualify as the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. It has the potential to be great if maintained properly and clean and one of the guys from a local dive centre laughed when I told him we were staying there saying only "No don't stay there again - shame when it was built it was the best hotel in Makadi". Not anymore I'm afraid. One to avoid.

cairo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

first time in tia heights hotel and sure will not be the last one because spend 5 days in the hotel, the rooms is clean and tidy, food is tasty , drinks every where just need more cocktails, stuff is well trained and professional, really liked the animation team with evening show is the best, disco is nice spend all nights in it ,,, i advice every one to visit this hotel

Room Tip: my room was 3135 and this station is the best
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

spend 7 dayes in tia hotels and it was good for me ,,, my kids like it and my wife all the day with her friends playing and dancing with the animation,, aqua park is great ,,, keep away from pazars and sales men in the hotel ,,, enjoy your vacation inside the hotel

Room Tip: main rooms in the best
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

In a Nutshell... Holiday from hell. Went there with my family for 1 week... Had to change rooms 4 times... reasons... flooding in Bathrooms, Double beds are Single in size, Room size not suitable for family of 4.. too small. Room locations... Noise, Sewage smells. Buffet restaurant... fighting for Food(The locals).. no variety. Staff very rude...smoking while on the job in pools, hotel hallways etc. Entertainment... Inapproporiate music played.. swearing etc. Theft.... Do not visit the shops in hotel. Had my phones and glassess stolen by the retailer. Security did not do enough to investigate. Evening entertainment is bad. It is not a 5 star.. its a 2 star.

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

i Stayed there for ten days , I really enjoyed it there and all thanks to the animation team and especially
Shiko: The awesome breakdancer
Mido: The awesome waterpolo player and a friendly person
Veto:The young dj for kids
Marina: The Nice Girl which always makes you happy
Joe; The Hyperfunny ginger
Panda:The awesome all style dancer
and finally DJ Sam who turns the disco upside with his great music

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tia Heights Makadi? Share your experiences!