“Good accomodation, average service, terrible food and not kids club” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunwing Waterworld Makadi Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makadi Bay
Sunwing Waterworld Makadi Hotel
You added Sunwing Waterworld Makadi Hotel to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Egypt (Formerly Sunwing Waterworld)   |
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Good accomodation, average service, terrible food and not kids club”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Water park and pools were OK, waffles the highlight of the day food wise, my daughter loved the Swedish entertainers, pity that she was not allowed to join the daytime activities as the kids clubs were either for German (the rude lady that run this club send us away straight away) or Scandinavian kids (they we more polite at telling us that she was not allowed).
We when for a family holiday and some how preprepared to compromise a bit on the service and the food (not as much as we had too!!) but regretted our choice as our little one would have enjoyed even more if she could have joined the other kids.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Slovak first
cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have just returned from the Sunwing Waterworld Makadi Hotel, we stayed for 2 weeks over Easter with our 2 children ages 6 and 4. Initial impressions of the hotel were WOW as it really looks stunning, its very big and spacious and impressive to look at. The rooms are fantastic, loads of space, massive big bathroom, but from a parental point of view little things in the room were not 5 star. For example, no tea/coffee facilities.... you get this at the Travelodge! If you market accommodation to families then surely this should be included in a 5 star hotel. We were not provided with a bath plug, therefore my 2 girls were unable to have a bath whilst they were there, not too much of an issue as they had a shower, however in general they like a bath. The guy who cleans the room didn't really clean, he clearly wanted regularly tipping in order to provide a reasonable service! We didnt have any toilet rolls for 4 days and the floor was never sweeped or cleaned. That said, beds were made nicely and the room was tidy. From speaking to other guests if you leave a nice tip after a few days you will see the difference in the service! However, we are not supposed to tip until the end of the holiday!

On the subject of tipping, this was a big issue for us. We are happy to tip, however the Egyptians expect it regularly and upfront in order to give any kind of reasonable service. so just bear that in mind! The restaurant booking system wasn't working correctly as we were often being told the restaurants were full, yet if you wave a 10 dollar bill at them suddenly there is room for you! However, I believe this is being looked into and hopefully rectified.

Food - well very average in this hotel, don't expect a lot. Really not a lot for kids except Spaghetti Bolognaise, bare minimum for vegetarians (which I am). The only place worth booking (if you can get in!!) and eating in is the Fino restaurant, great service and great food.

the staff in this hotel are all fairly new and I think need to learn the ropes with how to provide a good service to their customers.

I would highly recommend you pay to upgrade so you have a wristband for both the Makadi Palace and the Grand Makadi as the service, restaurants and food in those hotels are outstanding as they are already well established.

The facilities in the Sunwing for kid was just great, fab slides, waterpark, wave pool etc. Really beautifully designed and laid out with kids and parents in mind.

The kids club was interesting... the lady who runs it is German and like other reviews have said, she is extremely rude to English people. When I first went in she was awful to me and nearly reduced me to tears, at that point I didn't want to leave my children with her. After the first week we made friends with other people there and the Mum said she is nice once you get to know her and persuaded me to take my girls in with her children. This time we received a slightly warmer reception. I do believe that complaints have been made and this is being addressed as English people should not be made to feel like this when we have paid the same amount of money for the holiday as other international people. Hopefully she will take this on board and will improve in her attitude to English people.

Diving - my husband did the diving and was very impressed!

Overall, the hotel is great, food very average but if you upgrade to eat elsewhere then its great! Service will improve I am sure over time and maybe this time next year they will be running at the 5 Star they portray to be.

I would still recommend the hotel as its very easy for parents and kids and the weather and location was stunning!

If I can afford it I will book for next year but with wristbands for access to eat in the other hotels too.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Hotel area and rooms are very nice. Made of wood and Stones - no plastic, etc decoration anywhere.
The breakfast and all buffet meals were unfortunately the worst we have ever Had in Egypt - if not the worst Hotel buffet we have ever experienced since our back bagging times. Same applies for overall service in the hotel. We thought there should be much Better quality of food and service for the price we paid. At least we have got it at other sunwing resorts so far. Otherwise we Had a great hoiday but will not return to this Hotel.
From Finland

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks here over Easter. We all had an amazing time. The Waterpark in this hotel is STUNNING. We went as 2 families with kids age 6,9,11,11.

Waterpark - amazing! The Rain Fortress is fab for all ages. Loads of slides, kids climb up, shoot water cannons at others and slide down one of about 8 slides. The 4 other big slides are great fun too - can go down them in inflatables on your own, in 2's or a whole family in a kids paddling pool sized inflatable. Great fun! Lazy river is cold but you need it sometimes.Good fun trying to dodge the water jets etc. Looks like they're building an aquarium there too.There's also another slide -vertical drop then you shoot upwards like a corkscrew. Too scary for me as it's like a coffin! There's also a mock surf area like you see on cruise ships (flow rider) - can body board to start with then our older boys were soon surfing stood up!

Pools - freezing but it was so hot at Easter (March/April) that it was a relief. Up top there's 3 pools, one of which has a wave machine which is on for 30 mins every hour. The swim up bar was warm but very busy.

Food - bit hit & miss sometimes. Buffet was lovelybut gets a bit 'samey' after a while- breakfast was lush but coffee was rubbish! Busy before 930 and always running out of cups, plates etc Worth waiting till 10 if you can. Fino was excellent and well worth paying the extra few quid for the prawns and salmon. In theory, you need to book daily between 9-11am. By 845 there's 13 people in the queue so getting a table for 7.30 is tricky! We tipped well and often the waiters would reserve us a table for the following night if we asked nicely!

Italian - lovely but you tend to get your starter and main course at the same time! Busy at peak times and Q's likely.

Mexican -nice food.Service a bit hit & miss. Again,queues at busy times. We waited 40 mins then gave up.

German - some of menu was nice esp the chicken but we were left unattended for ages.

BBQ - nice food but was cold on arrival and so dark you cant see what you're eating!

Tropical for lunch was really lovely food and service.

The other restaurants in the Mall (indian,chinese,French etc) all had to be booked and you had to eat from 5.30 and be out by 7pm! Too early for us!

Our room was lovely.Down near the beach.Cleaned daily.Tip early on and you get novely towels made into birds, crocdiles etc.

Beach was good but the snorkelling not as good as Sharm.10 mins walk to the left there's a jetty. You can snorkel off here which was quite good.

We didn't fight for sunbeds up on the top pools (we heard this was the 1st time the hotel had been at full capacity). Our kids were old enough to go off to the slides/water parks by themselves but those with toddlers were all crammed down by the rainfortress.We met one family who set their alarm for 4am so they could get their towels down!! NOTmy idea of a holiday!! Funny how we always blame the German's when it'sus Brits!!

There were probably more Swedes than Brits when we went but all lovely people.We didn't use the kids club but i think the staff were swedish. The play and chat room is good though with pool table/xbox/playstation etc.

All in all, brilliant hotel and waterpark and we are looking to go back again next Easter.

Room Tip: I think all family rooms will be the same - separate area for kids with massive plasma TV.Huge bathr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bratislava
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

***** hotel with ** personal!
Large beach is near the hotel, 3 tematic restaurants and 3 hotels restaurants. The suites are large with perfect standard and big outdoor balcon. The badrooms are like standard room with another hotels:-)

Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have just returned from the Sunwing Waterworld and to be honest had a lovely time. A holiday is what you make it after all. The rooms were lovely, cleaned regulary etc. The swimming pools (if a bit cold) were very good and kept the children aged (7, 10 & 12) busy for the whole week. The waterslides topping it off. But that is where the good review ends. Food was abismal, the service in the restaurants was slow ( to be nice) there were never any bowls for cereal then when you got a bowl there were no spoons, then when you had them no glass for juice. you get the picture. on complaining to the rep I got the usual answer it's a busy time. - my response - yes it is a busy time, hence why i have to pay a fortune for a holiday that would cost me a 1/3 of the price in term time - but you're telling me i'd get better service!!!

There also seemed to be water wars, we were told both on the coach from the airport and at the welcome meeting that there would be bottles of water in our rooms for us to brush our teeth with, there weren't and when you went to the bar to ask it was like asking for gold dust. So was asking for a drink - the quality of the all inc drinks was awful, their idea of a cocktail is a vodka and orange (if they had any vodka).

If you went to the sports bar you had to pay for your drinks.

If you wanted to eat at one othe a la carte restaurants you had to book, but you also had to eat at 5.30pm - our children were still in the pool then!

The evening entertainment was poor - we watched a themed Eurovision night where of course we only new a couple of the songs as we have very rarely won the thing.

All in all we had a nice bit of winter sun, but will not be going back to this hotel or Egypt again. Back to the Carribean for us

Nottinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I followed reports of this particular hotel for ages before I booked and have read most reports from other contributors since returning a few days ago and can agree with just about all of them.
If anyone has read any of my previous holidays reports you will know that i try to be very balanced in my comments and do not usually remark on minor things that get put right immediately but here goes....
The good points:
1. Aquapark in all aspects is awesome for children.My 10 yr old son had a great time.There are Lifeguards who work long hours but are on the ball, and good with especially the younger children in the lower pools. Several sets of Acquaintances praised this as did I when my son banged his head in the Flowrider.
2. Rooms are in the most very nicely appointed, clean , comfortable and stylish though my first one allocated did not have working air-con and the very large bathroom had a strong 'smelly drain' aroma. Trying to complain I found that i could not connect to Reception by telephone and had to walk over there several times until eventually a a maintenance man was dispatched but it wasn't really fixed and as room was on ground level on the top pools side I could not leave the patio doors open at night.
The next day after more complaining to the Rep, I was moved to what was a slightly less prestigious room i think but overlooked the lower pools/park from a high floor though smelt lovely and ok air-con xc the ceiling fan worked (hey ho !!) Other English Guests also had a room change for various reasons
3.The complex is attractive and things like Sun Loungers and open Cabanas are plentiful ( but Parasols are not so much) tho they are 'bagged' before breakfast around the Rainfortress and lower pools.
4. Most of the staff try to be friendly and helpful and have a fair grasp of English/German etc.
5. The Mall is good to visit in the evenings with the occasional show of Egyptian dancing and (separate priced) buffet in the main square .The 'Showtimes' Internet Cafe place was good for the older children and not too pricey for the WI/ Playstation/ Pool Table for an hour or so. Also did proper drinks like G&T;s,milkshakes and popcorn.
5. THE WEATHER IS GREAT
but that is about as far as it goes.

The food especially in the Buffets is very very ordinary with spasmodic service from insufficient numbers of overworked waiters with occasional rudeness thrown in. (lets call this 'lost in translation' to be generous)
Whilst the Breakfast is probably the best of the buffet offered meals, with cooked to order Omelettes and the usual expected fare, the juices are only squash-type in the coolers and the coffee got weaker and weaker over the days Fruit is sometimes tinned !!! (Pineapple in particular )and the 4/5 items repeated every day.
The buffet rooms are noisy and oversubscribed and every day we experienced them running out of clean crockery and cutlery, clean tables and even letting milk dispenser run dry.
Of the separate restaurants, we had two nice evenings/meals in the Fino but this has to be booked on the day at 9am at Reception and there is a limited no. of bookings allowed. Some other Guests did not rate their experience tho .
The Chinese and Indian Restaurants in the Mall were OK but Waterworld is only allowed to book Guests in at 5.30pm (as the other Makadi hotels had the other slots in turn) which felt really odd as it meant leaving the pools/aquapark very early to get changed.
The non-reservation Restaurants ie Italian and Mexican were often difficult to get into and we were disappointed to be turned away twice from the Mexican in one evening as they were 'full' but they were only using the outside area, so maybe this again was a staffing issue.A bit of a moan to a Manger did get us some better results and in fairness he did offer to get us a table (using his position) but we opted to use the Italian and he attended to us diligently.
Other Guests, our English acquaintances and some nice Scandinavian people( as did I when dining alone one lunchtime on an earlier occasion), also had issues with service in this particular restaurant , mainly being left seated without drinks or menus for ages,and ended up making complaints to Reception with bad feelings all round .The positive points here are that the Pizzas are pretty good and the view in daylight in lovely over looking the sea.

The 'Shawerma' (Doner Kebab) and evening BBQ was possibly the easiest to get into and the food and service the most balanced . The food is interesting and nicely presented but they do think it odd if you ask for second portions. The crepes and waffles bar/ with Afternoon tea was also easy going.
Drinks at the inside Bars were, I am not convinced alcoholic. This is OK for daytime round the pool but a letdown evenings.Several times I asked for extra Gin/Vodka to be added and in the end stormed down to the Reception Bar and asked the the Headman if I t was because i was a woman alone ordering or considered an alcoholic (only ever have 2 drinks a night) that this was happening.
A newly- met friend's husband then started to order for us as he was friendly with the waiters and we all enjoyed some super G&T's (seemed to be only available in the Grill) thereafter.
The Swim-up pool is fun and the Guys there friendly however.

Evening entertainment is over quite early and is mainly directed at the Scandinavian /German Guests but all rooms have TV with several channels for each nationality , so we usually watched a movie til sleepy-time.

Tipping appears to be mandatory at every turn and is somewhat annoying as is constant. And should you go into Hurghada be prepared for the worst cases of hassle I have ever, ever, ever experienced.

Overall, a good time can be had if all you want is a nice room with a view, your children to be happy and played-out daily, you are not interested in good food/ fine dining whilst on holiday and don't mind low-alcohol drinks and dodgy service.

If you have already booked for this place, read everything you can and make plans for when you get there. If you have not already booked, give at all some more thought.

Room Tip: If you have young children the rooms around the Rainfortress and Relax pools are the ones for you, t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunwing Waterworld Makadi Hotel? Share your experiences!