“Review based on visit” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makadi Bay, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #40 of 183 hotels in Hurghada
“Review based on visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at The Sunrise Royal Makadi and took the opportunity to walk down the beach and look at other properties ( what can I say I am in the travel business so it's a habit).

Rarely have I come across a property that looks truly stunning. This was it. To look at the grounds you would never believe you were in Egypt. There was a combination of lush lawn areas, lakes with restaurants on the banks, stunning swimming pool areas with very accessible steps. The property goes down to it's private beach with a dive centre.

There were 8 restaurants and the feedback from guests were very positive. If you are looking for true luxury without going to the Caribbean, give this one a try. A true 5 star property.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your compliments and for your recommendations
The Grand Makadi and our sister hotels reflect a local paradise of which definitely provide the best Egypt has to offer.
The Red Sea Hotels Group together with our team of multinational professionals spares no effort to ensure the unforgettable and most comfortable getaway. We proudly await your arrival and will be honored in being part of your future holiday

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have been to Egypt before so was really looking forward to staying at the Grand Makadi , the room was lovely really clean, and had fantastic views and beautiful gardens next to the beach.
The hotel had several restaurants which you have to book,one restaurant which you can walk into, we where very disappointed with the poor choice of food, lack of a toaster.Most nights they had run out of Gin then the next night it was tonic ! .We did upgrade by paying for the Makadi Place that allowed us to use all the restaurants and facilities and what an improvement and our holiday got better and better.
The staff from the waiters, pool boys, reception staff could not do enough for you,always making you laugh.
The swimming pools are really cold , plenty of sun loungers and loads of space .
Beach towels changed every day.
We went with Red Sea holidays and we where very impressed with everything .

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and for sharing with us your comments
I deeply regret to hear of your disappointment and I would like to express my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may had encountered during your recent stay.
I acknowledge that we remain fully responsible in maintaining all aspects of our high leveled standards in customer service and guest satisfaction therefore, I truly hope in this case to not have let you down
Meanwhile I am very pleased that during your visit your overall holiday had improved and our efforts transformed your holiday in becoming an enjoyable experience

Once again thank you very much
Warm regards
Warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Grand Makadi forms part of a complex of 4 hotels and occupies a common beach area ranging from a man made area into a natural sand area with plenty of sun beds. This hotel is ideal for families, romantic couples and for people who just want to chill, in my view due to its location everything is based around the hotels which I think teenagers could be a little bored (its not lively Benidorm etc). The pool area is fantastic and you will find again plenty of sun beds which are not on top of each other and you are waited on for drinks etc - give a small tip and you are well looked after.Beach towels are provided in a beach bag which are changed every evening by the hotel staff from your room- no need to take towels
Food can be obtained from a number of a la carte restaurants which have to be booked and a buffet style restaurant near the beach which is just walk in. A word of warning if you are just going for the week its is better to book the a la carte restaurants on your first day. In addition to the restaurants on site there is also a mall containing other a la carte restaurants in the neibouring hotel which you can book. In the al a cart it is included in the all inclusive with drinks as well and being there for two weeks we tried all which were excellent. Our favourite became the Lebanese in the night and the Caribbean for lunch.
Now the food is varied and I would be surprised if you could not fined something that you would enjoy and for children they are well catered for chips, burgers, pizza etc. and hence in general good food and plenty of choice. There is one point which I think they should consider unfortunately at breakfast there is no toast machine and we Brits do like our toast, but that is only a pointer because again from cereals to fresh omelettes choice is good.
Now to entertainment which was really around a court yard area with a central bar which was either waiter service or you stood at the bar. Whilst we were on holiday there was a singer every night, and on one night there were a pair of violinists (lord of the dance type) which were excellent. In all I get the feeling that the entertainment programme is just starting as I did notice the kids club had not started yet, or at least if it had it was not obvious, (disco etc)
My last comment is that the Grand is the old girl of the hotel complex, and as such could need a face lift in certain areas but again in general I thought the Grand had a better atmosphere than the other hotels. The facilities around the beach area were better than the other hotels and in fact from the different coloured bands people were coming from the other hotels and using the Grands facilities.
In summary a great holiday and my wife and I will be returning, o yes the place is spotless and staff Brill, with special thanks to Mohamed Omar and staff

Room Tip: Hair drier very low powered ladies take your own if you want to style your hair
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Mr. George
Thank you very much for your kind review and for your inspiring feedback
The Grand Makadi is in fact the first hotel to operate within our complex therefore, is the eldest of the 4 in offer. Despite our challenges our unique identity and warm approach proudly surpasses several hotels in Makadi bay altogether - which is rightfully merit to our exceptional and hard working team of professionals who transmit our concepts and services in a devoted manner. I am very pleased you managed to enjoy our dine around arrangement which is especially designed to cater various culinary options from a range of 14 restaurants for our dear guests to enjoy

We are looking forward to seeing you soon and I would like to inform you that a toaster will be gladly provided in both of our breakfast rooms at the soonest convenience
Sincere regards
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Me and my partner booked this hotel as a last minute getaway in July 2012. Im terrible for reading every single review on a hotel before i go away as im always wanting my holiday to be perfect. Had I read some of these reviews before going i probably wouldn't have booked but as it happens i let my partner book this and im so glad i did! Upon arriving at the hotel i was overwhelmed by how absolutely beautiful it looked. We arrived at night and the gardens were lit up by lovely lighting leading up to the entrance of the hotel.We were immediately offered a drink and given our room number before a porter led us to our room. Our room was situated right near the main buffet restaurant which we didn't mind at all as it saved a long walk to go and get breakfast. Room was lovely, looked slight outdated however it was clean and had everything you needed. My only disappointment was the balcony. It was very enclosed and as we were on the ground floor, our view was mainly trees. With it being next to the buffet restaurant it meant that people were constantly walking past and peering in so we very rarely used the balcony. As with any hotel in peak season, you tend to struggle getting sunbeds and unfortunately we did. Me and my partner took it in turns to get up at 7.30 am every morning in order to go and get a sunbed by the pool. I think it was easier to get a sunbed on the beach however im very much a pool person and with it being so hot i wanted to make sure we had a bed only a short walk from the pool! I wouldn't say it ruined our holiday but having to get up early each morning did become abit annoying as we went away for a relaxing break and didn't want to be worrying about getting a sunbed! The pool is amazing, its huge and very clean. However the staff need to sort out the broken flooring on the edge of the pool as a few times i tripped up or stood on broken bits of concrete. Im sure its only a matter of time before somebody has a serious accident. By far the best thing about this hotel is the food. I wasn't expecting much for what we paid but it was some of the best food iv ever had on an all inclusive holiday. ALL of the specialist restaurants were absolutely amazing. We ate in the Italian every lunch time and tried most of the menu. It was fantastic, the staff in there were lovely! The Caribbean is also fantastic - crab cakes and fillet steak were to die for..i even had seconds!! The only problem with the caribbean is that its outside so it does tend to get very hot, especially when each table has a candle on it! But to be honest its worth being hot for an hour or so because the food is simply delicious! The Lebanese is also brilliant! The mezze platter was by far some of the best food iv ever eaten, and again i had seconds!! The main buffet is best for breakfast, pancakes, omelettes made infront of you, eggs anyway you like them, huge variety of pastries..what more could you want! We ate in the main buffet once for our evening meal however we preferred the other restaurants as the quality of food was much better. In regards to booking the Italian, Caribbean and Lebanese - you can eat in there as many times as you want and you can book the same day you want to eat. You just visit the reception before 1 and you are pretty much guaranteed a seat for that evening. You also have use of the restaurants in the palace next door however we didn't use them so cant really comment. The choice of alcoholic drinks was pretty limited..i was hoping to try lots of different cocktails but sadly they only seemed to do tequila/vodka with orange juice. Pool staff are very attentive and if you tip them in the morning they will serve you drinks all day without you even having to ask. We didn't go on any trips as we were only there a week and just wanted to relax. We ventured to the on site shops though but deeply regretted it when we were constantly pestered to buy things! One of the shop staff even turned round to us and said 'You English never buy anything' .. i had to hold back from saying that it was because they are so pushy & do not give you a chance to look at anything! Overall our experience at the Makadi was very good and considering we paid £1000 for both of us for a week all inclusive, we feel we got excellent value for money in terms of food, hotel room flight and overall experience. Probably wouldn't visit again just because we want a hotel with that little extra something but for a last minute cheapish AI holiday then i definitely recommend it!

In regards to tipping - we took 20 £1 coins and used them to tip the pool boys a couple of times some of the staff in the restaurants and the maid on the last day. We never felt like we had to tip but we wanted to as they genuinely couldn't do enough for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, better views and you don't have an enclosed balcony!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest
Thank you for your comments and very constructive review
We are equally pleased that you booked the Grand Makadi as your holiday destination and are delighted you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate very much your praise for our quality of food and services -especially for our a la carte restaurants in offer. I have likewise passed your comments to the staff of our Lebanese, Italian and Caribbean restaurants and in return the team are truly grateful.
The entire team and I would be delighted to accommodate you once again and kindly note that I would be very pleased to be of any required assistance, therefore please do not hesitate to contact me directly
Thank you once again and kind regards
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have just come back from the Grand Makadi Hotel and had a a fantastic holiday. We needed a well earned relaxing break and the Grand Makadi and the staff had worked very hard to ensure that they did everything to achieve this. All the staff including pool man, waiters, the man who cleaned our room, restaurant staff and guest relations were polite, helpful, worked hard and nothing was too much trouble and there is a good management team to ensure that high standards are reached.

My husband sent an email to state it was my birthday whilst I was there and they made my day very special and memorable.

The only downside is the buffet needs to have more variety and the hot dishes need to be hotter but the various restaurants we tried we enjoyed.

We have been to many hotels and the Grand Makadi, Makadi Palace and Makadi Spa are in a class of there own.

Room Tip: I would suggest that you pay the little extra to have a Junior Suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest
I am very pleased your well earned break resulted to a well enjoyed holiday.
We are all honored in being part of your birthday celebration and are extremely delighted that you experienced a special and memorable occasion.
I have passed your comments to all the mentioned staff who had contributed in making it possible and I continue to thank them for their endless efforts in fulfilling our guest’s needs
Again thank you for sharing with us your special holiday, and we eagerly await your return
Warmest regards
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Prior to our arrival we requested a room facing the sea. The room was very clean and quiet (2230). I have to agree with other guests in reporting that it does not meet with 5 Star rating back at home. The staff were excellent and wanted to please the guest staying at the hotel.
This is the second time we have booked fully inclusive and were disappointed at some spirits being unavailable for most evenings of our stay. When speaking with reception on the fourth day we were advised that it was due to transport issues. Not acceptable. The quality of food was poor. One evening we dined at the French restaurant and ordered a mushroom entree, on the plate was half a mushroom sliced. Presentation excellent but a ridiculous amount on the plate.
I would certainly stay at the hotel again but would upgrade to the The Makadi Palace all inclusive meal package on arrival. The cost is £10 per person a day or £40 for the week, well worth the cost as it was excellent value in comparison to the Grand.
I would also suggest that you take plenty of change for tipping, English currency is accepted.
I would like to make a special mention to a waiter at the Melange restaurant at the Makadi Palace Salama Ali , who was excellent at his job, being funny attentive and professional .

Room Tip: Both very quiet rooms accessible to both complexes and facing the sea. 2230,2231
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We went Feb half term with two kids aged 11 and 6. Booked through Red Sea and the flight and transfers were excellent.
Hotel very Grand but some areas could do with a lick of paint. Not a 5 star but a very clean 3star by UK comparison. How much we paid we weren't expecting much so what we got was a bonus!
However, we found it clean and the staff were attentive. We did tip, not often and not huge amounts as other comments state on here.
We ate out in the many restaurants in the all inclusive option at Mall and sister hotels. Wifi in reception and outdoor area was great as the kids entertainment was poor. Our two were occupied by iPods for the hour we sat out after eating in the evening.
The pool area was clean and plenty sun loungers.
Our youngest went to the kids club and enjoyed the variety for a few days.
The snorkelling was amazing. I just wore goggles and swam off the end of the pier,fab!
Late Red Sea check out and transfers again were very swift which helped with young tired kids.
Would definitely return. This was our first time in Egypt. We wanted sun in February and that's what we got....ave 28 degrees.
The Red Sea rep Hanna offered lots of excursions but as we were only there a week we wanted to chill. The bay as amazing but isolated from Hurgarda with Dessert. We didn't really need to ask him much as he was very informative on the short bus journeys to and from the airport.
Best part of the day at Grand Makadi was 4pm for coffee and ice cream on the terrace. Peaceful, even with young children.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
teldieb, General Manager at The Grand Makadi, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Mrs. Rachel
Thank you very much for your informative review and most importantly for choosing the Grand Makadi as your first holiday destination in the land of the Pharaohs
I am very pleased you experienced a peaceful and relaxing family vacation at our resort and delight that you enjoyed our services and facilities including our pier which leads directly to our unique house reef
Be assured, that as of this week-according to season our entertainment program has already been modified and upgraded in various areas including; Live evening entertainment, Children’s and daily activities for all ages

Again thank you for sharing with us your comments and I am looking forward to welcoming you in the very near future
Kind Regards
Tamer El Dieb

Been to The Grand Makadi? Share your experiences!