“Excellent - WOW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Royale Soma Bay

Save Saved
You added Palm Royale Soma Bay to your Saves list
Palm Royale Soma Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Soma Bay, PO Box 348 | Safaga-Hurghada Highway, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #3 of 183 hotels in Hurghada
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent - WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

wow what a hotel in the middle of nowhere, well paradise . The hotel speciallity restaurants are fantastic i tried the lebonese the first night , also tried italian, greek and asian. Italian was best for me. not so fussed on greek restaurant because i didnt really like the menu. the asian was the best the main buffet was fantastic for breakfasts but not great for evening meals and lunch time most is cooked in a sauce.. on the menus there are black and blue writing the blue writing you pay extra for.Most drinks are included on the all inclusive there are a few that are no but most are. The beach towels are free and you can have as many as you like , this however does cause a small problem trying to get the sun loungers on the beach before 8am because people take more than one towel. The entertainment , where do i start how hard do these guys in animation work special thanks to kseyria and tazio who made us feel very welcome, enjoyed the stretching and the water gym also matt and his dancing after the show. I paid for wifi which was about £50 for the week which was very expensive. The hotel is spotless the rooms are very clean and spacious all the staff at the hotel are very nice and make you feel at home. I visited hurghada twice this was very expensive if booked from the reception but half the price if you get a taxi privately. the transfer time is about 40 mins.
would I return Yes YES YES. If your thinking of booking this hotel then i would not hesitate its lovely and i am fussy. I also work in a travel agents so ive been lucky enough to travel to some nice places and this was one of he nice ones. if you have children perect for them lots of activities shallow sea water nice beach and they love children.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Weybridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've been to Egypt 5 times (always for Windsurfing) and this was first time to Soma Bay. I had one week at the end of April 2013 with Thomas Cook.
Hurghada airport was quite efficient - shame they feel the need to charge everyone £15 for a "visa" - just feels like an opportunist money grab. The guy loading our cases onto the coach quite aggressively pestered us all for a 'tip' which was off-putting. Transfer of 45 mins was fine.

First impressions approaching the hotel were not great - a very desolate surrounding area with rubbish strewn everywhere and the entrance to the hotel was a half building site. However the hotel itself is an oasis from its surroundings and the staff were extremely helpful and efficient from the start all the way through to leaving. Check in was very quick and a guest services lady showed me around the hotel.
I was with Thomas Cook all inclusive and I do think this was very good value indeed - especially for the endless bottles of water needed in the heat - all the bars and restaurants had cold bottles available the whole time. The mini bar in the room also is re-stocked every day. Always depressing to me to see people tucking into beer at 10am but that is an option for those that wanted it.

The main restaurant (called Stella) buffet meals were okay - very good overall choice but quality was really varied in the dishes - but this is food on a very large scale so it's tough to have great dishes for hundreds of people at a time. I'm not a fan of seeing the same offerings for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day - such as the salads and cheeses and so on as it gives the impression of the ageing re-cycled food sitting there.
Of the five trips to Egypt this was the best food and best service in the restaurants, but it is relative. The waiters were extremely efficient and helpful.
The hotel is laid out over quite a large area and the rooms are either in the hotel main building or in 3 or 4 story wings. I was on the third floor overlooking the pool area. The room was a good standard - the air con just about worked okay but it this was April and for July it would not have been strong enough. A few of the fittings were tired and bashed about but overall the size and the room was very good with a large balcony - mine had permanent shade which I would recommend for anything other than winter as the ambient temperature was great without being fried by direct sunlight.
The shower was okay - always hot water but low pressure. The en-suite was very nice - very soft towels and all high standard.
All in all the best room/balcony I've had in 5 trips to Egypt.

I'm a windsurfer and the "Big Days" centre attached to the hotel was very poorly stocked compared to centres I've been to elsewhere - it's really much better for kites. Very few decent boards and rigs and I would not go there again frankly.

The lagoon type area is really amazing for learning to kite surf - a fantastic sand bar of shallow water and soft sand - I've been all over the world and not sure I've seen a better place to learn to kite so if this is your thing then I would highly recommend.

The first three times I went to Egypt I had no problem with stomach bugs but last time and this time I got badly affected. This time I was incredibly careful and really kept to bottled water, cooked foods etc.

I got a very bad stomach bug here but I can't say how many other people were affected. I'm actually giving up on Egypt for the forseeable as my last two holidays have been pretty much ruined by feeling terrible for over half the time. I'm 50 and been all the world and generally never suffered much at all so I don't think it's me. My 21 year old son went to Sharm last year and got really ill - as did many of the people on his flight.
Egypt does have a big issue here that really takes the gloss off so you may want to think carefully.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband & I spent 2 weeks at the Palm Royale (5-19th April). Even though I had read all the amazing reviews before we went my expectations were not that high as our previous 2 trips to Egypt (Makadi Bay & Marsa Alam) were very average.

That changed as soon as we entered the hotel, the lobby is stunning, very ornate and opulent. We were originally allocated a room at the back of the hotel facing the road but one call to reception and they soon had us moved to a room facing the pool and sea. Great customer service.

I will break my review down Into sections

Room

Well appointed room twin beds, marble work tops, fault screen Sony TV with a good choice of English channels and sports channels, large balcony. Water pressure good for the shower. Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel provided along with other standard accessories such as shoe shine and shower cap. Large balcony with table and 2 chairs.

Pool/beach

We tried the beach one day but as said by other reviewers all the best loungers were taken at silly o clock. We preferred the pool and soone got to know Gerges (George) the pool guy who looked after us well everyday, we were not allowed to sort our own loungers out he insisted in doing it all for us. After the first few days he knew where we liked to sit and what time we would be out and had our towels ready for us. He is a real asset to the hotel. The pool was bracing shall we say and it wasnt til we had been there for 10 days that I braved it. Ok once you get in but getting in is the hard bit. There was a nice breeze around the pool, sometimes bordered on being cold, but only for a few days. There is also waiter service from the loungers and the guys looked after us well.

Restaurants

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Stella, we found it a fascinating experience which we never bored of watching the Russians food competition of who could pile their plates the highest, it's a buffet guys, you can go back for more.

After the first night we rotated the al a carte restaurants so we did not have to contend with the food scrum. They were really easy to book,you just went to guest services and could book for that evening and the evening after. There was never a queue and the ladies were lovely.

The Lebanse was our favourite the staff were fantastic and always made us feel welcome, the food was amazingly tasty and it was nice to sit out on the terrace to eat, it was a nice touch when the chef came out to see us. I can high,y recommend the beef shawarma, but to be honest everything we ate there was lovely.

The Greek was our 2nd favourite, great atmosphere with the Greek singer playing whilst you eat. The manager that runs this restaurant literally runs it. We always left tired after watching him run around like a crazy man, but he was a really nice guy and keen to ensure that you had a good experience.

The Asian restaurant was our next favourite. The food was really good and nicely presented. We had a bit of an issue with service one night and the manager was keen to resolve this.

Our least favourite restaurant was the Itatlin which was disappointing as I love Italian food. The food was ok but the menu choices were not particularly classic Italian and the service was not as good.

All the restaurant were designed really well to fit the theme. You felt like you were in tha restaurant rather than a room serving food for that county.

The whole place was immaculate and the gardens beautiful,. There was always someone tending the laws or cleaning the public areas.

Johnnys bar is where we spent our evenings before dinner and the guys there were great, keeping us supplied in crisps and nuts, way too morish!

If I could make any suggestions for improvements it would be the entertainment in the evenings. There was not much of it and what we saw was pretty dire. I didn't really bother us as we enjoyed our evenings sitting at the bar and then a relaxed dinner but it would have been nice if the entertainment lasted longer than 40mins and was of a better standard.

Also $20 for 24 hours Internet is expensive and they could stand apart from other hotels by offering a better rate.

Conclusion.

As we were checking out the hotel manager Mr Kannan came to speak to us to ask if we had enjoyed our stay. When we said we would probably be returning he gave us his business card to contact him personally. That was a really nice touch.

This is a great hotel and the staff really seem to care that you have an enjoyable stay, best place we have been to in Egypt by a mile, best holiday we have had in a few years, we will be back. Mr Kannan keep doing what you are doing and listening to feedback.

Darlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Just returned from 11 nights stay, weather great. First time in this area and it seems windier than sharm el sheikh but its a great situation for watersport fans. Choice of 4 restaurants for evening meals, each one was great but the food in the main AI restaurant was not as nice as other hotels I'v stayed at. thomas cook guests receive spa treatment sessions for free, worth taking up as really nice. Also receive some active watersports sessions for free but I didnt take them up. All in all a very nice hotel. Free soft drink mini-bar in room is nice touch too. The sea is the most amazing shades of blue.

Room Tip: high floors give view of sea
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited the Palm Royale as a couple in early April for a weeks long holiday. First impressions of the hotel were fantastic and we were greeted with a refreshing drink and checked in straight away. We contacted the hotel via email a couple of weeks before and Walid Ahmed was brilliant and met all our requests.

We could not fault our room, it was huge and had a lovely sea/pool view. We did upgrade do a club room which was definitely worth it. This also allowed us to enjoy breakfast on La Terrace which again was gorgeous.

The pool area was stunning with plenty of open space, however the pool itself was absolutley freezing. We did brave it a couple of times to visit the pool bar but it would definitely benefit from being heated as it is a shame for such an impressive pool for nobody to use it. There was a smaller heated pool in the Health Club which was lovely but always full of children but that didnt bother us. Gerges the pool attendent was fantastic and always had our beds ready for us in the morning in our favourite spot and always stopped to chat and didnt mind taking our picture a couple of times!

Beach was lovely, however there was a battle over sunbeds as people were reserving them from as early as 5.30am which is ridiculous! We did witness two men arguing quite loudly over beds which resulted in management coming over to sort the situation out.

Food was lovely and there was always plenty of choice, Sameh from cafe stella served us when we visited and was really polite and friendly and always had or drinks ready for us. The ala carte restaurants were fantastic, in particular the Greek and the Lebanese. I wished we had visited the Lebanese earlier instead leaving it until our last night as we would of loved to go again.

We visited johnnys bar almost every night and it was the bar staff that made it so enjoyable. Special mention to Adel Kamal, Beshoy (eyelashes) and Yossef Ashraf who have amazing personalities always kept the drinks flowing for us! Would definitley return even if it was to just visit these guys again.

Overall we had an amazing first holiday away together here at the Palm Royale. Will definitley be returning but hopefully next time for alot longer than 7 days!!

Room Tip: Contact the hotel a few weeks before you travel with any requests. They are more than happy to help.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

As soon as you enter this hotel you are met with an air of oppulence! Large domed ornate atrium, polished marble everywhere, central bar with piano surrounded by Koi carp.
We travelled with Thomas Cook on an All Inclusive basis, you are not made to wear bands or carry cards which is a nice touch! Thomas Cook clients at this hotel are treated to three free sessions in the health spa and three free 'try' sessions at their watersport outlet .Relaxing massages, foot reflexology,kite surfing, scuba diving, sail boarding to name but a few. The rooms are large with marble bathroom, mini bar (Note soft drinks only under All Inc) tea & coffee making facilities, large balcony with table & chairs.
The cleanliness of the hotel is apparent throughout and guest services would always ask if everything was in order.
All staff are extremely friendly from gardeners through to management - always greeting you warmly. They cannot do enough for you.
There are five restaurants including the main buffet restaurant 'Stella' then four more specialiality restaurants. Lebanese, Italian, Greek & Asian. All of these are waiter service and need to be pre booked with guest services at least a day in advance.
Highlight of the week was a Thomas Cook trip spending our Anniversary on Biston island - Mahmya. A private beach with soft white sands. Snorkelling off the beach or for those who wanted to, go back out on the boat to spend an hour at a coral reef which was fantastic! Lunch was provided giving a good selection to choose from.
In all a fantastic hotel which wehope to return to with friends

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

the hotel at this resort is fantastic. the whole complex is very well looked after, very clean. the staff are very attentive and they just want to please you all the time. In the main restaurant Sameh Nasry served us everyday and he is worth his weight in gold. Around the pool Gerges Fawzy looked after us during the day, and he too is fantastic and they both need a hefty pay rise... The Lebanese restaurant and the Asian restaurant are the best 2 on the complex. The Italian is not so good. The greek restaurant does a mean Kleftico.... All in all the hotel is one of the best we've been to in Egypt.

Room Tip: we emailed the hotel prior to our trip and they upgraded us for free to a suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palm Royale Soma Bay? Share your experiences!