“Words can't describe how wonderful this hotel is!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Royale Soma Bay

Save Saved
You added Palm Royale Soma Bay to your Saves list
Palm Royale Soma Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Soma Bay, PO Box 348 | Safaga-Hurghada Highway, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #3 of 180 Hotels in Hurghada
London, United Kingdom
“Words can't describe how wonderful this hotel is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My goodness, I just don't know where to start, usually the pictures you see make a hotel look better than it is, but in the case of the Palm Royale, the opposite is true, this hotel has the WOW factor, I loved it from the moment I walked into the impressive foyer with the Grand Piano in the middle of the Atrium Bar and a beautiful stained glass domed ceiling above.

After a swift check in and a refreshing drink, i was taken to my lovely room, but i was disappointed that it didn't have a sea view, was this a problem? Certainly not, Mahmoud Zein-Eldin, night manager, sorted out the issue and upgraded me to an even lovlier room in the main hotel building. I had a great dinner in Cafe Stella and met the restuarant team who went on to look after me for the whole holiday, special thanks to Nagy and Mina, but all the staff are fantastic. I spent part of every evening in the Atrium Bay. listening to Elena play the piano and drinking a brandy and coffee with a heart on it! The guys in this bar are great (sorry for not remembering all the names) and they have great memories for what everyone wants. This bar has an old world ambiance.

I slept well, though the bed was firmer than my taste, as soon as i asked, a topper and feather pillows were provided. My room was maintained spotlessly and I looked forward to my towel art!

All the a la carte restaurants are fabulous, with chefs and a restaurant team who really care about your dining experience. It's hard to say which was my favourite, but the singer in the Greek was lovely and he even gave me a CD. I have a special memory in each restaurant; chicken livers in the Lebanese and fabulous pizza in the Italian. Breakfast was a feast, i particularly enjoyed the eggs from the egg station, followed by hot croissants, freshly squeezed orange juice (no extra cost) and good coffee.

The beach is gorgeous and is well maintained,there is a nice beach bar with a wide range of drinks and yummy ice creams, it is a shame that they don't have some snacks at this bar, but really that is not a problem as the Azur Bar is nearby, good paninis and again great staff! Hussein and all the towel guys on the beach are lovely and always kept me a perfect spot on the beach.

The pool was out of order for the first few days, but this was not an issue as the pool at the Health Club was heated and in lovely surroundings.The main pool was fixed ahead of time so I was able to have cocktails at the swim up bar. After my included Thomas Cook treatments, I had 4 more massages (good value), the therapists are very skilled and all the team are lovely, Special thanks to Ahmed who first sold me my massage course. I also used the Beauty Centre for a facial, manicure and pedicure,a very good experience at a good price. I only used one of my 3 sporting activities and I went for a horse ride along the beach on a well cared for horse called Shakira. Thanks to Hany for taking pictures for me. They also have a camel and donkey which take people for rides along the beach.

The Animation Team are a talented team of 6 young people from various countries, they all speak several languages and they work hard all day and evening to encourage guests to take part in a range of activities.They don't hassle you if you don't want to get involved and have fun with you if you do. Karaoke was my favourite followed by Aqua Gym with Tazio!

The Thomas cook rep, Moustafa, is very knowledgeable and cannot do enough to meet your needs, from outings to seat requests and everything inbetween, many thanks.

Is there anything I haven't covered? You really have to see it for yourself, so visit the Palm Royale soon. I have travelled extensively and I have never gone back anywhere, in the case of the Palm Royale, I will definitely make an exception and I will holiday there again soon. Thanks to everyone for making this an excellent 11 days!

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance to mention any special requests!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tiptree Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked this holiday in august 2012 it was a wedding anniversary holiday and I chose the hotel with care,.We were at the hotel from 22nd February until 5th March. On arrival we found that the main swimming pool a massive feature of the hotel and one of the reasons I chose it was closed for repair. what a disappointment. We found out that it had been closed for two weeks before we arrived. Had we been notified abiout it here in the UK we would have changed hotels. We were told we could use the spa pool. This was not big enough to accomadate the number of guests. We had to go to the beach. We were constantly plagued there by people either trying to sell spa treatments or trips. Nightmare!The other thing that was not good was the food in the buffet resteraunt it was not even three star never mind five. It was poor quality and often stone cold. We ate in the snack bar at lunch time and one of the A La Carte resteraunts at night. The food in the Asian and Greek resteraunt was excellent. We had an uncooked ravioli experience in the Italian and rock hard pastry it was impossible to eat for their apple pie desert. We did not enjoy the Lebanese resteraunt but that can be put down to personal taste. A lot of thomas Cook guests complained about the buffet resteraunt. On the plus side the hotel itself and the grounds were beautiful and very well kept..The staff great rooms and bed linen to notch. We definitely would not return. this holiday did not deliver for us.

Room Tip: We asked for a sea view room on a high floor and that is what we got.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Everything was perfect. Amazing Staff. Paradise. Heaven On earth. Can't wait till we can go Back. Kids club amazing. Food delicious, The rooms, views, amenities, spa, and management team are without a doubt impeccable. Even if something falls below your expectations,All the Manager will make it there personal priority to turn your stay around and go above and beyond. This was our 2nd visit and we will absolutely be back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We returned for this hotel on tuesday. Our friends from England convinced us to go with them and Thomas Cook UK and wow what a holiday we had! Everything in this hotel works as it should. The food is amazing, beach is perfect and staff WOW! We have tried all of ala carte restaurants but the favorite was lebanise with chef Kaseem preparing his magical dishes. Grilled meat there is to die for! Italian restaurant with chef Luccio has the best salads and fish you will think of and Asian amazing sushi and green pancakes If you prefer to see what you eat in Caffe stella you will always find something for yourself. Thomas cook rep. was always helpful during the whole stay but even without him the staff there is always there to help you. We got the privilege to eat in La Tarrace which was just perfect start for the day. Not only for location and amazing food but also for staff. Nishanta and Ewelina are just perfect fit for starting the day energized and happy. They are your coffe and milk Ewelina is very active girl who you can meet everywhere in hotel but her smile always remains the same. You feel that she is sincerely trying to make your vacation special! She sure did ours. And Nishanta with all the amazing stories about Sri Lanka.... Eh nothing better then two of them. We already convince our friends to go and visit this amazing hotel and trust us when we say you will not regret it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Returned on Tuesday from a week's holiday at the Palm Royale in Soma Bay, booked with Thomas Cook. I was on holiday with my dad for a week of sun and relaxation and the Palm Royale was perfect. The hotel's private beach is idyllic and the beach bar serving all-inclusive drinks all day was especially nice.

All the staff were excellent, but Adel in Johnny's Bar in particular is absolutely fantastic, everything in the bar runs smoothly when he's around, he is very friendly and attentive and made my dad and I feel so welcome. He really does have a great rapport with the customers and is very good at his job. Thank you Adel!

Personally I found the red and white wine and the beer included in the price of the holiday were all fine. The red wine is very easy-drinking and I got through far too much of it in a week! We did go off the all-included drinks occasionally if we wanted a nightcap as international brands aren't included, but the wine is fine and so is the vodka and rum.

The food in general was great, the range of food in the buffet bar for breakfast and lunch is really impressive. My favourite thing at breakfast was the omelette station where you can get fantastic omelettes made to order. As for the hotel's other restaurants we loved the Asian restaurant and the Lebanese restaurant. The bread in the Lebanese restaurant is the best bread I have tasted in my life! Also the staff are really wonderful in there. I recommend the duck in the Asian restaurant and the sushi if you go off the all-inclusive menu. In the Lebanese, the Arabic sausage and the Shawarma beef are excellent. The Azur Bar also does decent lunchtime snacks. As you can see from my enthusiasm I ate far too much!

All over the hotel the staff were great, the beach staff bringing towels and sorting out sunbeds etc were very efficient, in particular a member of staff called Badwy.

Overall I absolutely loved the holiday and can't give it less than 5 stars!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic 2 weeks at th Palm Royale Soma Bay
A party of 4 we were amazed walking into the palatial and opulant atrium, after a no problem checck in by the very polite and attentive reception staff, our luggage was taken to our room, whil'st we enjoyed a meal,a huge selection of fine food, in the Stella restaurant.
The room which myself and wife had (1008) was large 2 double beds, mattress toppers which we had requested by email 2 weeks before made it 2 weeks of comfortable sleep, a ground floor room we had also requested, was duly given, bathroom, clean, large, bath with shower over bath
The Stella restaurant opened every dayforbreakfast at 6 30 am for early risers, I was told,
breakfast was a selection of hot and cold dishes, great porridge, fresh sqeezed orange juice, coffee out of a machine, great tasting for Egypt,
Owing to the swimming pool being closed for major maintenance, the beach was our alternative which was no problem plenty of beds and fresh towels everyday, loverly clean beach, sea very cold, an alternative pool at the health spa was made available but this was small but heated, like a creche everyday, mostly used by the hotels Russian clientele with an array of blow up crocodiles, dolphins, turtles etc, my wife used the pool at 8 00am for a swim, no problem at that time.
The Azure restaurant by the empty pool was a good alternative at lunch time for a light snack, served by the all attentive Mina & Mena great laugh trying to teach us Arabic
The al a carte restaurants, Asian, Greek, Lebanese & Italian served food of the highest class, well presented by good attentive waiters, the chefs in all of these establishment always took time for a chat after the meal
Jhonnys bar had a large screen tv showing mostly live and repeated premier league footy. the atrium had a pianist most nights giving this a real touch of class to thi truly magnifiecent hotel, the staff are the most freindly you would ever meet anywhere, Ahmed & Tarek in th Stella restaurant, brilliant guys, also a big mention to a big man Sharief the restaurant's manager, always had a chat and tried to put the world to right between us a huge asset I believe to the Palm Royale.
It was a pleasure to have stayed at this wonderful hotel and I would certainly recommend it to anyone visitng Egypt in the future, would I go again? right I would already booked for next year

Room Tip: 1006 to 1010 overlooking pool area
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is the perfect hotel to go to for a week or two if you want to chill out. The resort has everything you will need. Two pools and a nice, clean sandy beach. The hotel is situated in a moonscape of desert sand by a beautiful bay. The sea is warm, clean and there are beach chairs and sun shades.

The hotel staff usually smile and will do anything to help you and the food is fantastic There are restaurants in the complex to choose from and my favourite one was the Italian. If you are on an all inclusive, there is a good free local wine and local beer that are excellent but you can also buy any drink you want. We went there in February from Moscow. I don't recommend going in July or August as it will be far too hot.

I cannot find too many negative things to say about the hotel other than the health club area needs updating and the gym and sauna need to be replaced but everything works. The rooms are clean and bright but the beds are a bit hard. The hotel guests are mostly from Russia (70%) and the rest come from the UK and other countries. It is really great for families and couples looking to relax. The breakfasts are great and I recommend going on a diet before you go as the food is so good with a huge choice!

There is not much outside the hotel resort but if you need a break, I recommend going to this hotel on an all inclusive. You can relax on the beach, swim, eat, drink and have a great experience. It's hard these days to find hotels where the staff are polite and helpful. You may find a hotel were the food is great but the staff are rude and unhelpful or the food is bad but staff are helpful. At the Palm Royal Soma Bay, the staff are fantastic and the food is fantastic, they are an example to other hotels. I will certainly go back. The resort is only a 4 to 5 hour flight from Russia or from the UK, then a short bus ride from the airport.

Thanks Palm Royal, I enjoyed my stay very much. I am now on a diet!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Palm Royale Soma Bay? Share your experiences!