“Really nice, but wouldn't go back.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Royale Soma Bay

You added Palm Royale Soma Bay to your Saves list
Palm Royale Soma Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Soma Bay, PO Box 348 | Safaga-Hurghada Highway, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #3 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Really nice, but wouldn't go back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just to clarify I am a legit reviewer and have reviewed other places before, so you can read them if you like.
We stayed for a week from the 11th of September, and booked through Thomas Cook all inclusive Holidays with Style.
We just wanted a week away without the daily routine to relax.
To start:
Thomas Cook itself. They do look after you, I can't fault the rep Bassem. He was top notch, very helpful and let us know what was happening.
But Thomas Cook as an airline is pretty awful.. It's just the seats are so tight for leg room, it makes pretty uncomfortable traveling if you're on a flight longer than three hours which we were, and they like to have the inside of the plane pretty hot which is unbearable. Even when someone asked for it to be turned cooler it didn't make much difference.
It made not a nice start to what was supposed to be a relaxing time in our lives, that we had paid hard earned money for, and waited most of the year for. It's a night mare.
The rest:
The transfers were fine, an hour to the hotel. Check in was fine also, both in and out.
Actually I cannot fault the polite, friendly service that the hotel and Thomas Cook offered. The people really made a difference, and were lovely at the hotel.
The rooms were very average. I am not sure about the standard of the other rooms but we had a sea view looking out to the marina and windsurfers. The view was lovely. Sunrises were amazing. The decor was very tired. The TV was great, and there was always a movie to watch if you needed to. The bed was like a brick, like a concrete slab. I like a firm bed but this was not a relaxing way to end the day. There were moments when I had thought that the floor might have been more comfortable.
The bathroom had seen better days, with mold. I don't know what everyone else expects but I don't think mold should be a feature of a resort. It just needs a good clean, a good scrub.
The rest of the hotel is ok, nice but the rooms definitely need a spruce up.
The beach where we spent a lot of time was lovely, great for families as the water was clean, clear and tranquil. There were small fish swimming around. Lots of water sports going on round the corner of the beach where the marina was. The wind was never to the point where it was too windy, sunsets beautiful. The way the loungers are set up is really tasteful. I loved the woven umbrellas. You could always find a lounger, even when it got a bit busier towards the end of the week.
We also spent some time at the gym pool as it was pretty quiet, and not too hot. The people there were really nice, although I wouldn't drink the water they offer you in plastic cups. I don't think it was from a bottle, we were (more fool us/stupid mistake/should know better) pretty ill after this.
The food in the buffet restaurant was ok, but the idea of being able to visit the 4 restaurants on site was a great way to break up the stay. We visited all but the Italian. I loved the food at the Lebanese, and loved the atmos with the guitar player at the Greek. Food was lovely, and as for the blue menu items that people complain about having to pay for, it was only a very few items. There were plenty of choices to make.
The coffee at the atrium bar is top knotch and our waiter there was a lovely guy, thankyou for the lovely smiley face on my cappa!!!
We didn't drink much as the local stuff a bit stomach ripping, the beers ok though. Through effects of sun and stomach upsets we drank less and less as the holiday progressed.
It started off with my partner being violently ill one night, then I went downhill from there with stomach trouble, just on the day of going home. All I could think of was whether I could make it home that day or not.
My seat mate across the aisle on the flight home had been staying at the Palm also and she had been put on a drip, which they tried to insert into her arm 7 times at the clinic on site. She had been given 4 different medications to take and it cost her $150 USD. She didn't know what it was that made her ill although.
We are still recovering four days later. We were aware of tummy trouble before going to Egypt, but took the risk.
but now having experienced it, for that reason alone, I don't think I could risk going on another holiday of this sort to Egypt.
I couldn't face it.
I a lot of ways the Palm Royale gets it right, but in a lot of ways it does not, but from what I've read of some of the other resorts in Sharm, and elsewhere in Egypt it is all a bit of the same.
As for anyone else going, try and be polite to the staff, they work really hard, they are very kind - and a please and thank you isn't going to hurt. Can't believe how horrible some people were to the staff there!!

Room Tip: sea view rooms are quieter than pool view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Alexandria, Al Iskandariyah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

the best place ever & great services .. it's the first visit and never the last . we really enjoyed everything . Keep the good working & thanks to all the stuff & the gentleman Mr. Ahmed abd el fattah for the great effort .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Very very nice hotel with high stander service . I really enjoyed my time soooooo much. Wonderful holiday . I recommend
To everybody what ever you looking for ,you will find it there.! Trust me.the sea and the weather are Amazing

Stayed September 2012
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

very beautiful resort nice staff and polite, i have spend a week like in a paradise.
it was my second time within 2 years.
THe most nice thing,that we have really good service here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I'm the 3d time in this hotel with my wife and we really love this wonderful place,where we always have perfect relax rest,perfect sea,nice food,good rooms,big and buatiful territory of the hotel.THe most nice thing,that we have really good service here.In lobby restorant the managers are very proffecional and very polite.Aspessially Mohamed El Sayed-he is really best manager! /A.Balkarov/

hurghada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

nice hotel to stay in for many purposes for relaxing for snorkeling for swimming for horse riding you will find a lot of activities u can do in it and you will relax and enjoy your stay by the smile of all the staff in this hotel as you will find all the staff in the hotel always smiling as you will enjoy your meal in the main restaurant a lot of variety in food if you do not like you can choose to eat in a la cart restaurant finally i want to tell you tat you will enjoy ur stay in palm royal

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful fortnight at the Palm Royale. Other reviews correctly comment on the beautiful foyer, expansive beach, spacious rooms, lovely well-kept gardens, large swimming pool and attentive pleasant staff. I can only echo and confirm those previous observations.
The buffet restaurant is mostly good if sometimes a little random in it’s choices/combinations that are on offer but, as this is our 6th visit to Egypt (1st time at the Palm Royale) we recognise that this is not just an issue here as we have encountered the same randomness at Hyatts and Hiltons. Nevertheless, we were always able to conjure up something. I would say that you must bear in mind that the proportion of UK guests is very small indeed and that the hotel obviously have to try to cater to the tastes of us Brits, Germans, Italians and various Eastern European visitors. I think, in the main, they manage that conundrum very well.
The jewel in the crown for us is that you have the choice of 4 other restaurants to eat in “a la carte”, with no limit on the number of times you can “eat out”. Our usual complaint about AI holidays is the lack of a “dining experience” and the availability of the Asian, Italian, Lebanese & Greek solves this issue and is very welcome indeed. We don’t agree with the previous review concerning the additional cost menu items. We believe that an AI holiday in this price bracket is costed at a certain level and would not expect lobster, tiger prawns, steak etc to be included and were more than happy to pay the extra.
One thing to be aware of is that imported wines are incredibly expensive in Egypt, approx £60 for a French Cote du Rhone, and the local wine is roughly £20 a bottle. The house red that they serve on the AI package is, in my opinion, undrinkable. I didn’t try the white.
One small grumble is the availability of towels at the beach. There are 2 towel stations, one at the left end and one to the right end. On numerous occasions there were no towels at the left station and the staff member simply stood there saying “no towels” – what was wrong with getting more from the other end and bringing them down? (I did say it was a small grumble!)
If you’re taking your mask and snorkel then be aware that there’s no coral reef off the beach so you would need to take an organised trip for any decent snorkelling.
As a diver, I used Barrakuda Diving, the on-site German run dive company and was very happy with the service provided and the charter boat that they use.
All in all, a great holiday and we’re already planning to go back in March

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palm Royale Soma Bay? Share your experiences!