“great hotel, don`t believe bad reviews” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   20 Km Safaga Road, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #30 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
4.5 of 5 stars 744 Reviews
Chester, United Kingdom
“great hotel, don`t believe bad reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

i was woried about the bad reviews,but i thought this hotel was great, yes check in was a bit slow but when a large number are checking in and passport details are needed, then you expect it, but you just get a drink and relax, hassam the bellboy was great , my 9 year old took to him ,the food is my next point, they have a 7 day programme so really you cant be bored because you will only eat same meal once a week, and the italian and oriental are lovely too, the rooms were HUGE i had 7111, which was actually 2 rooms connected as there were 5 of us and that meant 2 bathrooms!, the beach was ok, but too be honest we were at the pool most of time, wael and mohammed were great , so much fun nothing too much for them , they always made sure we had beds , and we even chucked wael in the pool on our last day , the bar staff were great, my youngest got so friendly with them , that she was serving herself, bar staff ayman and salaman were great, and service was never too slow , and if you could not get a waiter to bring you drinks at meal times , you could always go to 1 of 2 bars in the main restaurant yourself!.The entertainment was great, the animation team are mostly tunisians and are so friendly my youngest knew them all so well and they paid so much attention to the kids,on our last night they did a olymipics night in the pool with fire breathing and allsorts, really good entertainment,look out for KEMO he is ace .Everyone was friendly and smiling, even the police on the door were really friendly too.The 1 bad thing and i would advise everyone STAY AWAY from was the AQUA CENTRE on the beach , we did a boat trip £100 , all day to giftun islands etc , they ran out of pop before we left the jetty, they ran out of food and after the 3rd dive site they ran out of water, not organized and too long of a day do not go. The hotel does have shops and you CAN barter i did and there are shops across the road too, 1 man told my husband he did not like me because i bartered TOO much lol,Last point people moan about russians , we found the local egyptian people on holiday the worst, they were so greedy and expected special treatment, it`s funny to see them in the pool in full lenght swimsuits.Overall this hotel is great and i honestly wonder if the people that write bad reviews have really been there, i was almost put of by bad reviews when i went to sharm last year, but they proved wrong too

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
east yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We had no delays checking in, very speedy and were walked down to our room, cases arrived very quickly. The room was absolutely spotless with a view of the beach bar/partial sea view. Lovely big veranda as we were on ground floor. Room area was very quiet at night even though we were near the beach bar.
Every where in hotel is spotless, including toilets. No flies in restaurants etc.
Staff very very friendly, they all want to talk about england and find out more about you. The bar staff remember what you like to drink and really look after you.
The all inclusive drinks mean they're not the best cocktails etc but ask for international brands and you'll get them no problem.
Towels on beds was a problem till we clicked the towel guy will save you a bed if you make friends! Some East European guests did get very upset when their towels were removed before 8am each day!!
We discovered the 'russian' guests are actually mostly Polish rather than Russian - yes they're still very rude in the buffet but are very entertaining to watch especially around the pool and in the disco!! Just tell them if they push in at the buffet and they generally give way.
We really did struggle with the food - it's not horrible don't get me wrong, it's edible. But very tasteless and same every night. Even though there was a different theme every night, food was the same! The curry tasted exactly like the goulash like the stew like the bourgignon etc!! I made mistake of having salad cos they were quite nice, and got dodgy tummy for about 4 days. Desserts again were plentiful but all tasted same. By second week we had started getting a taxi to hurghada and eating there instead, does seem a waste when all inclusive but we go for the alcohol!!
Taxi very cheap to town although we wished it was near enough to walk, especially as there really isn't anywhere to walk out of the hotel apart from some rubbish shops across the road and the sister hotel mamlouk next door which is exactly the same.
we wouldn't go back to that hotel and wouldn't necessarily recommend it but wouldn't put you off going if you're not so fussy with your food basically and we would go back to hurghada.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We have just got back from the Sunrise Garden Beach Hotel. The hotel was great the facilities were second to none the room we had was spotless and kept that way for the 14 days we stayed there. The hotel’s staff were some of the best that we have ever come across in a hotel and my wife and I have travelled greatly. Tipping was the main theme in the hotel and we took American Dollars for this purpose. These were gratefully received as wages are so low tips are the main source of income but the service you get in return is worth it.
On our second week the pool staff started to take the early bird towels off the sunbeds so most days we were able to get a sunbed by about 8.30 but play this by ear.
NOW THE BUT:
Breakfast great….toast, eggs, cereal, fruit, tea, coffee, fruit juices and much more
Lunch…. Pizza burgers, hotdogs, chips steak and much more
Evening meals most days were a huge disappointment. I am not a fussy eater but on some nites I struggled to find something to eat.
There are 3 themed restaurants on site which are all part of the all inclusive, Oriental, Mexican and Italian. We tried the Italian and found the food and service more than acceptable so I suggest that you book that a few times.
The biggest problem at the hotel are the Russians if you do not let them intimidate you then you should be fine.
If you are unfortunate enough to incur a dodgy stomach then go across the road from the hotel to the pharmacy and he will sort you out in no time.
TRIPS:
I booked a two day Luxor trip with Thomas Cook at the hotel. The trip was fine and worth the money. Before I went on holiday I was informed about a tour company that was called Memphis Tours. So I booked our airport transfer, a jeep safari and a day trip to Cairo to see the Pyramids and other places of interest.
At the airport we were met by a guide who fast tracked us through the visa process, at the hotel they organised all the paper work as well as sorting out our cases and within 40 minutes of landing we had had a drink and were in our hotel room. Great service!
The Jeep Safari was well organised and an enjoyable and interesting trip.
Now our trip to Cairo…. From the moment we were picked up at our hotel the service we received was the best that we had ever had on a day trip. The service included being taken to Hurghada airport were our tickets were sorted out for us, we were then met at Cairo by a guide and taken to an air conditioned mini-bus where we met our driver and found out that we would have the driver and guide all day. What a bonus!! We were the only two people on the trip so on this occasion everything was personalized to us.
I would recommend that you before you book any trips that you contact Memphis Tours at www.memphistours.net or .e/mail [--]
Their service was professional to the extreme and organised down to the smallest detail. Once again what a great day we had in Cairo, one that will certainly never be forgotten. Many thanks to Memphis Tours. Hope this review is of some help
Dave from London

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Have just come back from this resort and I can truly say that it was the best holiday we have ever had. The hotel was clean and the rooms are huge. I would recommend you ask for room 7219 as it over looks the main swimming pool and it is close to the main buffet restaurant and where all the shops are. The hotels staff our very friendly and when they find out your English they can’t do more for you. They even some times give you the imported alcohol if they have any in stock, if not then they give you double or triple measures in your drinks.

I would recommend tipping some of the chefs as they will jump you to the front of the queue like at the omelette station or down at the beach bar.

Yes the food is more geared up for the Russians and Germans but I always found food to eat and I am a very fussy eater.

We ate 3 times at the Italian restaurant as the pizzas are fantastic, the Asian was ok but decided not to eat there again. The Mexican restaurant was brilliant we left the restaurant stuffed.

We found for the first week we had no problem finding a sun bed around any pool but by the second week and we guess the schools in Russia had broken up as we had to get up at 8 every morning just to get a sun bed around the pool or you had to sit on the beach. The beach is brilliant a lot cooler to sit by then around the pool.

We stayed here for two weeks and like other reviews we recommend that you go out and see Egypt. We went on two trips one was the shop and rock where you go out to down town Hurghada and then to Hard Rock Café. I would not really commend this as the choice of food you get at the Hard Rock Café is poor it is either soup or salad to start and then Beef Burger or chicken burger for main course and then ice cream or fruit salad for dessert. When we looked at the main menu we could have had a good meal for what we paid for the trip.

Defiantly do the two-day trip to Luxor as we had the best time ever! Even though it is a 5:20am pick up and a rough drop off time of 7:30pm the next day. We made some nice friends on the trip. If you have extra time do the one day Cairo trip by air as I heard it is fantastic up there.

We loved the hotel and holiday so much we are already planning to go back next September and we will be doing the one-day Cairo trip by Air.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Well as promised here are a few pointers in respect to the Sunrise Garden Beach Hotel and Thomas cook my tour operator for this holiday

The Hotel

The hotel is and has been pointed out in many earlier posts excellent. The staff cannot help enough and are there if you need them 24-7. The rooms are in a state of good repair and our room was cleaned and serviced every day and to an excellent standard (I tipped the cleaner at the beginning and on the last day). There is a hairdryer in the bathroom but I would recommend you take your own. The TV channels are mixed and cover Russian, German, English in that order however the MBC channels are movie channels and show a few channels in English. There is WIFI in the hotel and you can buy access cards from the reception and cost about 75 LE for 30 minutes

The air conditioning works well and kept the room nice at a night time when it was still well above 30 deg outside.

Don’t take lots of towels in you cases as you get towels each day via your towel cards. The swimming pools are very good and I did not see any of the Germans sneaking around at 5am in the morning to grab a bed unlike in some hotels. The beach is ok and again I did not have any problem finding a sun bed.

The mini fridge in your room is refilled with bottled water each day and more supplies are available at any of the bars for free. (They highly recommend you don’t drink the local water) soft drinks in the mini fridge are only replaced the first time for free.

There is no kettle in the room so if like me you like a coffee first thing when you get up then take a travel kettle and some brew kit.

There are no irons so again take a travel iron.

Other posts have pointed out checking in times as being slow well ours took just 20 minutes. They take your bags to the room and pick them up at the end. We asked for and were allowed a late checkout which also made life much easier when the time came to leave.

There is lots of security around and in the hotel which in these troubled times is good to see.

The door cards worked well for me and I did not need to have them reprogrammed during my stay unlike a previous poster.

There is an electronic safe in each room and it’s free unlike at some hotels.

Food is primarily intended for our Russian friends and I would suggest you make use of the other restaurants within the hotel complex, The Italian is good.

I don’t smoke but my wife does and she was able to buy 200 cigarettes in the hotel shop for about 70LE which works out at about £7.00.

So overall I found the Hotel itself and its staff are fantastic and you will not be disappointed.

The Tours

I booked my tours through both the Thomas cook tour rep Dan and via Mohammad Chawki from relax tours.

The tour I booked with Dan was to Mahmya (£50.00 per person) home to the one of the most amazing beaches in the Hurghada region. "Mahmya" in Arabic means "protected area” and the island is truly an oasis of peace, where human settlements are strictly forbidden Note that they DO supply snorkelling kit on the island for free which is part of the trip you do NOT have to buy any from the tour guide if you don’t want to.

The tour I booked with Mohammad Chawki was the Luxor Tour from Hurghada by Coach (cost £60.00 a person) which included tour to Karnak temples, The City of The Dead the Colossi of Memnon, the temple of Amenophis III, Valley of the Kings, Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, The guide did his job very well and the tour was well above my expectations. Take lots of water with you. You will need to tip a lot on this trip when you stop for toilets.

Now to a few bad points which let the holiday down for me at times.

It has been pointed out that we the English are a minority in this hotel and it is all too obvious to see. You are and will be outnumbered 10 to 1 by our Russian friends who will not be any trouble unless you get in there way in any way if there is food and in particular Melon about. They are the most gluttonous people I have ever met in my whole life and just shocked me as to the way they treat the staff and others at eating time. I soon found that it was better to eat at one of the other restaurants in the hotel grounds than to have to sit and watch them guarding there plates of melon as if there very existence depended on it. Queuing is a strange and alien experience for them and they just DON’T do it, they will just walk in front of you anytime they see fit. You may feel I am out of order here but just sit there and watch them it’s a site to behold trust me.

Thomas Cook

I have used Thomas cook for years and they have been excellent and to be honest everything about this holiday was excellent apart from the seats on the plane. I have now made a decision not to use them again for my holidays until there sort out there seating. The seat pitch is 28” and you are made to feel as if you’re in a cattle truck. Ok so you can pay more for extra leg room but at £30 per flight per person why should I have to. Anyone using Thomas cook need to be filling in the questioner they give you and point out the seat pitch is too small.

And finely

Many thanks to those I met on the trips including a member of this forum (hope you got home ok) and the two lovely couples on the Mahmya trips who made the whole trip that much better.

You will love this hotel, the locals and the tours, don’t just sit in the hotel get out, see what’s around, and meet the locals you will find what a fantastic country and people you are visiting.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

While on Holiday with Thomas Cook at the Sunrise Garden Beach we bought snorkel, mask and fins from our Rep Dan. This was great as it saved paying expensive prices in the shops and being ripped off. Dan was great we ordered the items at our meeting in the morning and he brought the equipment to us later on in the evening.
The euipment was good quality we paid 160le for all of it and was well worth it. We had a great time using the equipment on the Thomas Cook snorkel trip. The fish you see was just fantastic and I would tell everybody to give it a go.

Dan said they sell the snorkel equipment in most hotels so ask your Thomas cook rep to buy a set. They had different offers and also reef shoes. Great idea and the snorkeling was one og the highlights from of my hoilday

essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

my girlfriend and me have just got back from a 2 week holiday the hotel was fantastic the staff fantastic the food drink etc all fantastic i have to say highly recommend egypt as a holiday destination the people are so friendly the history of the country we went on some tours organised by the hotel what can i say breathtaking would definetly will be going back highly recommend

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!