“Hurghada in January” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Hurghada
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Hurghada in January”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My firend & I (two singletons of a certain age!!) visited the Siva Grand in Jan 2013. We did out usual thing of checking trip advisor, weighed up the good against the bad, and went ahead and booked anyway (to be fair the reviews were mostly good). We've been to Sharm a couple of times before and wondered if Hurghada would be any different. It was and in a pleasant way - although it shared the same sunshine, there was far less hassle! A big plus point as anyone who has been to Egypt before will know. Whether its the time of year that we went or whether its like that all year, a simple no or a shake of the head was enough not to be bothered by the sales people. There are even fixed price shops!
The hotel itself was great; nice sized room, spotlessly clean, fresh linen regularly and clean towels every day (if you wanted them). Simple system for getting towels for the pool or beach. Apart from the staff on the reception desk who were generally less than helpful (this seems to be the trend in Egypt, dont know why), everyone else whether tipped or not couldnt do enough to make the holiday a good one. You'd have to be seriously picky not to find something to eat, but the bread is seriously worth a mention - fantastic!! The waffles in the afternoon with ice cream are to die for (and seeing the number some were piling on their plate I think that was their aim!) as was a glass of wine on the pier in the early evening. If you do get bored, there are a range of restaurants nearby. For my friends birthday we ate at the Argentinian steak house - the service and the food were top notch.
The other plus point is the beach - sitting around the pool is great, but having a beach on tap, fabulous! You dont seem to get the variety of fish you do in Sharm, but having a swim here is great regardless, even in January! All in all a great holiday at a truly nice hotel which I'd be happy to go back to anytime.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned back from second visit to Siva Grand and once again had a wonderful holiday. For the money you pay you can not complain, yes the hotel does look a little tired in places but it is very clean and the staff can not do enough for you. The food is plentiful and lots of choice, you can not go hungry. The waiters can not supply you with drinks quick enough and they do not expect tips. This time we tried the Thai Restaurant on the Mall and it was fantastic and really good value for money, we had a bottle of wine 2 starters, 2 mains rice and noodles for £40.00. We decided to eat inside as it was windy on the front and the surroundings are beautiful. Well worth a visit. We also did the snorkelling trip and this was also very good, we saw dolphins on the way and the fish were amazing. We had an enjoyable meal on the island and a couple of hours sun bathing and swimming in beautiful turquoise waters. All in all for a weeks get away in the sun you can not go far wrong. I would like to thank all the staff once again for making our holiday most enjoyable.

Jackie M

Room Tip: We were on the second floor with views of the pool and full sun in the morning.
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived at about 5.30 in the evening, check in was quick and our room was amazing, large and clean (122) the man that cleaned our room could not do enough for us, he was great ( sorry can't remember his name, but it began with B) pool staff were great, kept us well watered all day, bar staff great and restaurant staff were quick to clean tables and very helpful, we asked for drinks on the first night and then after that they were there as soon as we sat to eat . Saying that though, the food was never hot, just warm.Our only downfall was the taxi's......we did everything the rep advised us to do, but it is unbelievable what these drivers will do to get an extra £. I was traveling with my friend and was scared stiff, so anyone on their own I would not advise you to go alone in them, but on a good note the taxi we came home in was brilliant he said a price, we agreed and he brought us straight back, no detours!!!! All in all it was an brilliant holiday and I would definately go back just one tip, if you want a bed on the beach go early about 6ish.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room (122) and we did not find it noisy faced onto the gardens and bar.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for 5 adults traveling on a family holiday and this is an honest review.
On arrival at the airport we were met by a Red Sea Holiday rep and pointed in the direction of our transfer. As others have mentioned the transfer is very quick.

On arrival at the hotel check in was dealt with efficiently by reception staff. Our luggage was delivered to our rooms quickly. We were in room 265 and my sister was in 266. My brother and his wife were in room 215.

The rooms are large and kept very clean. it is right what has been said previously about the bathrooms being in need of a refurbishment but they were clean and we had more than enough hot water with a very good shower pressure - sometimes too much pressure. Towels were changed as often as you like if you leave them in the bath.

The beds are very comfortable and the linnen soft and clean. Only 3 pillows in the room so if you want more you have to ask.

Food - we ate most of our meals in the ground floor dining room where Hakim looked after us very well. He is very aware of what is going on in the dining room and nothing is too much trouble for him. We did go to he Asian evening where you had to pay extra and I have to say it was quite disappointing with regards to food and entertainment. Although I am not a burger fan I am told that they were good and also the hot dogs, pizza and waffles during the day were fine.

If you want a sun lounger on the beach we could always find space for 5 people although sometimes towards the back.

Now to the Spa - what a joke. I have travelled to many places around the world and like to have a massage or 2 during my stay. What I did not expect here was to be shown no more than a garden shed for my massage AND I was expected to share it with men. When I objected to this I was eventually taken to a hut towards the front of the beach which again was not ideal but at least I was on my own. The 2 different girls who did my massages were very good and I have no complaints about that.

If you are looking for an inexpensive holiday (booked through co-operative travel), sun and relaxation and then I would recommend this hotel. Not a lot to do if you have children as almost no evening entertainment for them.

The outside bar in the evening could get busy and it was sometimes difficult to get a seat but we just wandered to the pool bar and we took our drinks there. The watier soon realised where we were sitting and kept us supplied with drinks.

If you want to go to the Marina get a cab as they are really cheap but agree the price before you get in. We paid about £3 from the Marina back to the hotel for 3 people.

Would we return - YES

Room Tip: Room 255 got the morning sun and was far enough away from the outside bar not to hear any noise at n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Recently stayed at the Siva Grand Beach Hotel and booked via Red Sea Holidays and have to say slightly disappointed.

Overall had an enjoyable holiday and Hurghada is a nice place and the staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and I know they tried so hard to keep everyone happy. But it has to be said that the hotel was not how it was advertised. It is not of four star standard and I wish we had known that before staying, as unlikely we would have booked it.

To review:
• Rooms - in desperate need of a refresh. We had a junior suite (for an extra £100 – interested to what a “regular” room would look like) and while the size was ok, everything looked tired and dated. Also our room was above the bar so very noisy throughout day and until 10pm at night and sometimes later. We stayed on the fifth floor in the giant main building. Would advise anyone going to ask to stay in the villas. The TV in the room offered a movie channel which was useful when escaping the midday sun.
• Bathroom in our room just looked dirty and unkempt. It was really off putting. Also the water pressure for the shower was shocking, sometimes water was boiling, freezing or none at all. The toilets by pool were well kept and had a friendly man who seemed to regular clean it and refresh the towels.
• Restaurants/Food – overall the food was poor. Mass produced of course and sometimes undercooked or overcooked! My fiancé and I are not fussy eaters and will usually try most foods but even some of this look so unappetizing that we could not eat it. The best food we had all week was when we went snorkelling and had lunch on ‘paradise island’ and also one dinner on the Marina (jetty) seafood night was ok too. They do good pitas and baba ganoush. All restaurants are buffet style and the queuing is sometimes bordering on the ridiculous as some people seem to not know this or care and will knock you over to get to a fried and blackened chicken wing!! Also, when arriving make sure you leave something at your table before you go and get dinner or otherwise you will come back to someone else sat at your table.
• Bars – all well-staffed and while the wine/spirits are not to my liking, the beer was ok and soft drinks were plentiful. However, the staff do seem to have the favourites and it can take a while for them to get to you! You can spend a lot of time waving and if you are seen to help yourself you do not know if this is bad or helpful to them! Very difficult to read.
• Reception – well-staffed as well but was treated rather rudely when we first arrived and requested a different room as the one given had a terrible smell, bathroom was even worse than the one we stayed in, was next to elevator so you could hear it going up and down and it was also down a dark corridor that felt rather intimidating.
• Pool – nice and large but needs a good clean. It has a great swim up bar but people sit and smoke there so sometimes you see cigarette ash in there or the plastic cups they give you. Also even though it says in ‘rule book’ that you cannot claim sun loungers. People do, as we got there very early and lots of beds were taken and then those people came to actually use them at 11am/12pm!! Another gripe is that children surround the larger pool (even though there is a children’s club) and can dominate the stairs to vacate the pool, take up seats by the bar, bring in large inflatables, do lots of diving and generally cause havoc. I know they cannot help this and one would of course want children to have fun but would be nice to have the staff acknowledge this and maybe even the parents (!!!?) I know this is a child friendly hotel, but it should also cater for those of us who do not have children
• Activities – we booked a day trip called 'Paradise Island' with our holiday rep – Red Sea Holidays. It was a fun day and the rep was really nice and knowledgeable. Good value for money too. Only downside was that to go snorkelling you had to battle to get into the sea and surrounded by maybe 50 other people on their version of the same trip. So pretty chaotic! For someone who is nervous of the sea this did not help and therefore I did not even get in.
• Weather – was beautiful and that was the main upside for the whole week.
• Transfers – arranged via holiday agent and all went very smoothly.
• Hotel – is a large concrete building that is in need of a lick of paint! Does not look like much from outside and looks a bit tattered inside as well. Sorry. But it does. Would have expected more glamour for four stars. It is 2013 so was rather startling to discover that the hotel did not have wi-fi throughout the hotel. It says it does in the lobby on the website but you must have to sit in a very specific spot as I tried this everyday and not once got it. The gardens of the hotel are immaculate and that is due to the hardworking gardeners and it really makes a difference.
• Facilities – hotel has a private beach which while busy is nice and clean. It has a little beach side bar/jetty that was the highlight of the week. Sitting there in the evening watching the sunset was the best part of the vacation. For some strange people it is not used much and most guests seem to be not bothered to go to it so sometimes it can be secluded which only adds to its appeal. Also it closes at 7pm which is a shame as would be a nice place to go after dinner.

In conclusion, my review and rating would have been higher if Red Sea Holidays/Siva Grand Beach had been more honest about the condition of hotel and if the website had been also. Instead we arrived and were instantly dissatisfied. My fiancé and I did enjoy our week there but that was because of the wonderful weather, the sea being so close and the beachside bar/marina and of course the staff who were kind and helpful 90% of the time. We feel bad to say that we would not stay here again. But this is just our opinion!

Hope this helps.

Lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Not sure why this hotel has so many good reviews.......We are a couple who stayed in April 2013. We have visited Egypt many times and have a preference for quiet and beautiful locations which this certainly wasn't. We booked last minute and knew what to expect, but were still very disappointed with Hurghada and the hotel. We've flown to Hurghada before and stayed in El Gouna and Makadi Bay, which we found very nice. But staying in Hurghada, a built up and aged resort, was a completely different experience.

The hotel has most rooms in the main building which is five floors tall with the remainder running down the sides of the complex in two story bungalows. We requested a quiet room and were given a room in the main building on the top floor - this is a huge block of concrete and steel which simply magnifies any noise and there was plenty of this: on our first night we were kept awake by noise coming from the Terrace bar and then on the Saturday over 700 people arrived at about one in the morning. We understand the hotel may not be able to do anything about arrival times, but it would help if staff weren't shouting to each other and slamming doors whilst delivering luggage to rooms in the middle of the night.

The room was actually pretty good, with a huge double bed and adequate bathroom but no tea or coffee facilities in the room. The shower is a bit hit and miss...boiling or freezing and one night no water at all.

The reception has two restaurants and three bars (one which isn't all inclusive) and a large stage for the evening entertainment which mostly comprised of the agadoo or a bad karaoke singer. There is also the Terrace bar outside but its almost impossible to get a seat in the evening and its a bit like a Butlins games room rather than a bar area. The pool bar shuts at about 6pm and the beach bar is advertised as reopening in the evening from 8-10pm but that wasn't the case. There is a jetty (not for snorkelling) that you can sit on and have a quiet drink and most couples went here but again this shut early at around 7pm. The problem I have with all of this is not that the entertainment is aimed at the kids but that there is nowhere for a couple to go and have a quiet drink in the evening.

I found the staff very hit and miss (beach waiter Mustafa was lovely) but by far the least friendly were the chefs who were on occasions bordering on rude. The waiters in the Terrace bar were super friendly with their returning guests (most of whom were German) but wouldn't give me the time of day and a smile was just too much to ask for. We ended up sitting with and speaking to a lovely German couple and as soon as the waiters saw us all laughing it changed in an instant and drinks started coming unprompted.

The choice of food through the day was very good and the waffles in the afternoon were lovely - but the quality of food in the main restaurant (of which there are two exactly the same, one above the other) was very poor and aimed mainly at the German clientele. In the morning if you wanted a fried egg you had two options, a raw blob of yellow and white jelly or a frisbee. Trying to explain what I wanted to the chef resulted in the said rudeness where he simply glared at me and walked away. There was loads of choice but it was just the lack of care or quality; beef that you couldn't cut, lamb that you couldn't chew, soup that you couldn't pronounce and beautiful fresh fish so poorly cooked (still raw) you didn't dare risk it. There is an option to dine in the Oasis restaurant in the evening as part of the all inclusive, which needs to be pre-booked. You could only do this between 7-9pm at the reservations desk in reception....unfortunately on the three occasions I did visit to book, no one was there. I asked another member of staff who said to try again another time!

Didn't go near the pool, but it is one big area and we could hear the loud music at various times coming from the pool area whilst we were sitting on the beach, so we gave it a miss.

The beach was big and no problems getting a sun lounger if you went before 8.30am, but it's not very pretty and you can't really walk along the beach to get away from it all. The hotel is located right in the old bay so the view is a bit like a port with loads of tourists boats moored up and high rise hotels along the shore. Lots of people come from other hotels to walk along the sand bar off our beach, which seems to be a local attraction?! There is a shallow lagoon, but absolutely no coral at all from this beach - no point in snorkelling.

The staff are constantly trying to sell you stuff (massage, boat rides, trips etc.) but weren't too pushy as long as you were firm with them. My girlfriend had a massage at the 'Grand Spa' which it certainly wasn't. Most hotels in Egypt have a designated spa area with calming music, air conditioning, lush surroundings, showers and cool drinks. She was assured it was in a private room but actually it was in a shed on the beach which was split into two rooms (with two beds in each) by a curtain - so not private at all and not worth the money.

The boat trips on offer are to a group of islands off the coast known to us as Giftun island, but they call it paradise island. Unfortunately this has become so over exposed and given that the operators have erected a huge sign on the beach advising everyone it is indeed 'PARADISE', I'm afraid that is no longer the case. One of the local lads was telling us that in some areas of Hurghada up to 70% of the coral is dead due to lack of preservation controls - a massive shame and unlikely to recover. As we told him about our recent visits to Marsa Alam, he said there was no point us going on these trips as we would be very disappointed.

So in summary: Weather was great, in the 30's every day, but did have a couple of very windy days. The hotel is about 85% German clientele who return again and again. The remaining 15% was made up of Polish, Italian, English and a few Scandinavian. If you like snorkelling or walking on the beach or sitting and talking to new found friends on quiet balmy evenings then don't visit this hotel. Go to Marsa Alam or Taba. If you have a family and want the kids entertained in large areas where you can also sit then this may suit your needs very well. The selection of food is considerable and throughout the day is very good but the evening meal is pretty poor. I would look to request one of the bungalow rooms away from the main building if you want to get some sleep. We would not return to this hotel or Hurghada.

Room Tip: I would look to request one of the bungalow rooms away from the main building if you want to get som...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I would first like to say that the staff at this Hotel are fantastic and very kind. We especially liked Ramadam in the cocktail bar! A real happy guy who is fantastic at his job! We stayed in room 109 and the young man who cleaned our room between 29th March and 6th April was a charming helpful and happy worker.
The gardens of the hotel were absolutely fantastic and the gardeners Do a great job. The hotel itself is nice but could do with a refurb as the entrance and reception is very elegant but the corridors to rooms have paint falling off, chips in walls and scuff marks everywhere. It is kept clean to the best of their ability though. One thing I didn't like and thought they should if fixed straight away is the down stairs toilet locks near the dining room. There are 4 toilets and only 1 had a working lock! Small things like that need sorting. We went out on a scuba diving day and this was a fantastic day out! Would recommend to everyone!
The Sand at the hotels beach is white gold sand like advertised its artificial which is a bit more gravelly.
On the beach to the left there is an amazing water sports centre we loved the doughnuts.
As two women we hated going outside the hotel in the Main Street as the shop owners would approach u and grab in some circumstances to look in there shop. If we didnt we sometimes got called names. It's very intimidating. We thought it was because we are too women however the men and family's got approached too.
The food is ok, a little repetitive after a while but it's not bad. I did wonder if the drinks where non alcoholic as the cocktails didnt affect me at all. U think they save in money with the drinks, I would stick to beer and spirits. There is a constant service of food around the resort which is very good!
Wifi isn't great!
Overall an ok holiday for the money and very nice staff however I wouldn't return because I don't like Hurghada.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Siva Grand Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!