“A lovely Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Hurghada
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A lovely Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My Wife and I Stayed at the Grand resort on the 30th of August for a week. Overall a really great time.The benefit at the moment unless the German and Russian Foreign office have had a change of heart is that the place is extremely quite, so if you want a sun bed without fighting for it etc now is the time to go. The pools are some of the best we have seen especialy the one around the Pool bar The Food was superb with a massive range that would cater for anyones appetite, yes the service was a little slow to get a Drink but ive had a lot worse in the Uk and lets be fair you are on Holiday - What's the rush ! A tip: Take plenty of £1.00 coins for the tips you will be obliged to give, it will make a great deal of difference around the pool, to the guy cleaning your room, and waiters etc. We enjoyed it that much that we would go back and for the price it's great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the lagoon pool. You will get the sun 1st thing and it's a lovely vi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel needs to go on holiday watch dog!! As they claim it's a 5* hotel doesn't even come close may be a 3* I will just say to any one who is thinking of going stay away they have no food very poor run out of drinks they want you to pay!! Hygiene they don't even know what that is!! The manager of the hotel I's a con-artist this hotel could be a really nice hotel 1st he needs to replaced with some one who cares about his guests! He couldn't even run a bar let alone a hotel of this size!!! Air con doesn't work we had 4 rooms wifi doesn't work no beach you have to use a 3* one across the road and that is the worst hotel I have seen in my life just please stay well away until they get this sorted out you will thank me there were mice in the main restaurant it goes on and on!!! Worst week of my life and will NEVA return to Egypt it's a shame because Egypt and most of the people Are lovely!!!!!!!!!! It is run down and all they are interested in is your money even tho you have paid to go all inclusive!! I am taking action against this hotel and Red Sea holidays don't be fooled by the pics in the broucer and how's it says they have all them restaurants and bars you can only eat at 2 of them with 3 things on menu every night

• Stayed August 2013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited The Grand Resort for a week from the 30th Aug to the 6th Sept. We found the hotel to be quiet due to current political status, many locals mentioned how quiet it was (particularly as no many europeans were not permitted to fly out). This did not spoil our holiday as it felt more ‘exclusive’ – we didn’t have to fight for sun loungers, or wait days for a reservation at the a la carte restaurants.
Room - the hotel room was lovely, we opted for a standard suite (we felt no need to upgrade to deluxe as we had planned to spend most of our time out on the beach or around the pool) – the bed was huge, the room was clean and pleasantly decorated.
Staff – the hotel staff were great, really polite and helpful, however the majority spoke Arabic and German, and only a little English. Despite this, we managed to get by and this was not a detriment to the service they offered so please do not be put off by this.
Food – We went all inclusive. A continental breakfast was available each morning and there was also the choice of omelettes, eggs and sausages. For lunch there was a choice to dine at the BBQ area (The Waterfront), this comprised of barbecued meats and a buffet salad, or a burger and chips lunch at the Island Bar – this served chicken kebabs, shawarma and fish burgers which were also delicious! For dinner there was a large selection available at the buffet ‘Mahara’ restaurant each night as well as a choice of two al a carte restaurants.
We ate at each once during our stay – The Nigma was the better of the two, serving an authentic Egyptian menu of falafel, humus, lentil soup and a fish or kebab main. The Med served us tomato soup and fish and chips.
Resort – The pools were fantastic, lagoon-like, with many palm trees dotted around. Oasis is the bigger pool and where we spent the majority of our time soaking up the sun (and booze - the island Bar was situated there).
Inside, the hotel is grand – marble flooring, loads of ornaments – a lot of attention to detail! The only part that felt a bit drab was Club Orange (the 24 hr disco/bar) but we didn’t spend much time in there.
The beach is located over the road at the Grand Hotel – literally a 2-3 minute walk – and it was fantastic, lots of windbreaks, loungers and the sea is wonderful! Our time on the beach was made better by the fact it was quiet.
Outside the hotel grounds there is a strip of shops – we did our last minute souvenir shopping here and although we received some hassle from the shop keepers, it was a fairly pleasant experience.
At the beach and even round the pool there are many people offering massage and beauty treatments but this wasn’t a bother as a simple ‘no, I’m not interested’ would generally work and they’d go away.
Other than eating, sleeping and soaking up the rays – there is not much else to do around the resort so we booked three excursions with our Red Sea Holiday reps and were delighted with our experiences. The first was the Badawaya Safari Adventure which involved quad-biking, camel-riding, spider buggies, lunch then a belly dance show (we paid around £55 GBP each).
We then opted to do an introductory diving course – this was fantastic! We saw the wonders of the ocean from just 6m below sea level – this is definitely a must for those interested! (We paid about £70 GBP each).
Lastly, we went to the Jungle Aqua Park – this was good fun but no way worth the money we paid (£36 each). So bypass this or get it cheaper if possible.
I would not hesitate booking here. We had a magical holiday.
ps: it is must to book a Cleopatra spa package with the spa on-site - £35 and well worth it!

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a good stay at the resort. We decided to pay for the deluxe room upgrade and were pleased with the room - a very large double bed, a balcony overlooking the pool and a clean bathroom. The rooms were cleaned every day by very polite staff and both bath and beach towels were replaced every day if we wanted.
We went half board for our holiday and this was a little confusing at times, but perfectly adequate for the week. If you have the opportunity to go all inclusive for little more, take it. There is not very much out and about in Hurghada and the half board is breakfast and an evening meal (you can't opt for lunch instead). There were certain bars where ONLY all inclusives could eat and drink, and certain bars / places where everyone (including all ins) had to pay. Take some time to study the guidance notes and by day three you may have figured out who can order and eat where! Our tip for dining in the restaurants (whether half or all in) - find your table first and order your drinks before going and getting your food. The drinks service was slow and we had often almost finished our dinner before our drinks had arrived. We were however pleasantly surprised by the choice of food for evening meals and always found something tasty to eat. Another tip is also to book early at the a la carte restaurants - medeterana and the traditional egyptian restaurant. Book early though as we had to wait three days to get a table there!
The pools were indeed the highlight of the hotel - there were two large pools plus a kid's pool and even when arriving around midday, we still managed to get two loungers together. You do get sold to from the occasional hotel employee trying to promote a massage or henna tattoo, but this wasn't really a problem. If you fancy a massage it is worth getting a package - then you can negotiate on the price a little.
Hurghada itself was quiet and had a feel of a deserted party town at times. There were a lot of shops on the strip, but few tourists. If you want a week or two of relaxation and doing nothing in good surroundings with alright facilities, then this is the place for you. If however you want a little more action, go to Sharm instead.

Gutersloh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were taken in by the 5* rating for the hotel, it is anything but!
On the positive side, the weather was very nice and the A/C worked in the room. We had a very nice view with a large balcony and comfy chairs. Most of the staff were very nice and helpful.
We paid for an All Inclusive Junior suite, but didn't realise if you use anything from the minibar it has to be paid for! All Inclusive does not also give you entitlement to complimentary food/drinks at all the bars / restaurants.
You get disturbed by several knocks on the door during the day by the "minibar checker", cleaners, beach towel person etc etc form early in the morning! The hotel should coordinate room servicing so everything gets done at once when the guests are out of the room. One goes on holiday to relax not be subjected to stress and aggravation through persistent knocking at the door!
The wifi was rubbish at the hotel, fortunately I was able to buy a local data SIM card for only 35 Egyptian Pounds (about £3) for 3GB of data, which worked very well.
The hotel could do with a lick of paint and general upgrade.
In conclusion, we are definitely not going back to The Grand Resort and would certainly not recommend it to our friends.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

First off I want to establish that I'm not one of these people who complain about the slightest little thing. I've been to Turkey, Greece, Spain, Vegas, Sharm, New York and a few other places, each of varying quality and price however the items I'd seen written in reviews of the places I'd stayed previously just did not bother or affect me. Basically, I do my research before I go but I'm fairly laid back when I get there and try and make the best of any negative situation presented before me.
That being said, I just could not get past the many niggly issues at The Grand Resort. The Hotel on the whole is incredibly tired and needs more than a lick of paint. Door frames are cracked and splintering, paint is coming off the walls, surfaces are stained and it just feels unclean. The room cleaning staff do a good job but the whole place needs something more than a spit and polish. There is no light in the shower so you cant see what you are doing. There is a light in the bathroom however because the bath / shower is located in an alcove, the light does not reach it. It wasn't just my room either, it was standard in all the rooms we looked in. The resort in the evening is very poorly lit. Also, the lights on the balconies are really dim so you cant see what you are doing if you wwant to go on the balcony for a nightcap. On the first night, the guy showing us to our room commented on this saying that all the staff have told the owner about the lighting however he doesn't want any more lights on around the resort as it ruins the "Spanish Feel" he is going for??!! Any way, I fell on the second night as I could not see where I was going (this was before the beer I should point out).
Again on the second night, I was in the shower and there was a really weird aroma (like petrol) coming from the taps and I noticed the water was burning and making me itch. I got out of the shower and filled the basin up: the water was pink! I mentioned this to the rep and he shrugged and said it happened in all the hotels in Hurghada. It didn't because I chatted to a few other people at the hotel across the road and they didn't know anything about it.
We paid for all-inclusive however what we recieved was not all-inclusive. They have this really odd water policy where each room is entitled to 3 x 0.6L bottles of water a day. This is not per person it is per room! You can use the little plastic cups to fill up from the melted water filter in the corner of the bar however you are not allowed any more bottled water.....unless you BUY it from them at a cost of approx £7 for 6 bottles. I wasnt going to pay that so I went over to the supermarket where the same amount of water cost me £1.20. I brought this back into the hotel but was stopped by security and told I could not bring it in. I spoke to the reception manager and he confirmed that I could not bring it in and if I wanted more water I had to purchase from the hotel.....at a cost of £7.00. I pointed out that I'd paid for all-inclusive and I could not survive on 3 small bottles between two people per day and I wasnt prepared to pay £7.00 for something I could get for £1.20 a few feet away. He stuck to his guns so at this point I just walked off with my water. What would happen if I wanted water in the middle of the night? I have to walk down to the Orange bar (about 10 mins away) to use the water filter. The Wi-fi did not work 50% of the time and was also so slow that it isnt worth bothering with. The Sports bar isnt really part of the Grand Resort as you have to pay for drinks and to use the pool tables
There were a few positives to the resort. The pool area was nice enough and there always seemed to be beds available. The Spa and Tattoo staff do try and sell you their wares at regular intervals but that didnt really bother me.
Also, the food was decent on most nights with the chef outside the Mahara restuarant makes an excellent stir fry. Also, the Mediterano restaurant was good and in complete contrast to the rest of the resort with regards to decor and cleanliness. The food was nice as well.
In summary, please do not be fooled by the lovely, well-shot photos on the website or the spiel about it being the 16th best hotel in Hurghada from the travel agent. In comparison to the hotels in Sharm it is, in my opinion, a 2 star at a push.
The place could have had potential but unfortunately I think it has fallen too far. A shame really as we booked this holiday to celebrate getting engaged.

staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

16 aug 2013
On arrival at the airport first thing you need is a visa - as you enter go to the left and buy its cheaper than if you go straight to the main queue ,continue through the usual passport checks and on to the resort ( don’t pay for transfers its about 10 minutes from the airport ). On arrival all looked very nice rep was ok with info but just the usual about time difference and water ...on into the hotel, which all looked good filled out our names on a form and were issued with a room number and cards as we had 2 rooms for us and the 2 lads , the staff are prompt in taking the cases to the room which are quite large nice but a bit dark so after tipping the man with 20 le ( about £2) we settled into our new surroundings first port of call was getting a drink after a long hot journey .So we looked around the hotel and at first glance was ok ,then we found the orange bar opposite the main reception after your eyes adjust to how dark this is we headed to the bar and ordered 3 beers and 1 white wine ,the wine served from the pull into a small white plastic throw away cup ....mmm strange then the beers came exactly the same so we drank and I asked for the next ones in glasses as we are paying all inclusive this is a basic requirement for any basic hotel ,the reply shocked me the waiter said ( sorry we have run out of glasses ) .I looked around and could only see about 7 people in this bar when I asked how he said they only had a few glasses ..(So it’s the first evening I told my family, We have only just arrived ,let’s try the food), so off we went still smiling about our safe arrival on our holiday 5* lol...so off we went to the buffet well if your German you will love it, if not then good luck we got our plates got some food we could try to eat and started to look for a table ,there was none ,shocked again could not believe how poor the service was here at this so rated 5* hotel , I grabbed a waiter and asked if he could assist us, and the reaction I got was amazing he put 2 hands up in front of him and shrugged his shoulders and was gone .my jaw dropped it was crazy ,people wondering around trying to get a table standing eating food from plates in the palm of their hands ,we got a table after about 10 minutes roaming around ..I kept asking myself (were is the service ? the 5* service ),oh well first night I put it down to new arrivals and tiredness so after finally getting a waiter to get us a drink I said (lets try another bar there are a few ) ...off we trotted to the bar to the left of the orange bar it’s got a movenpick ice-cream cart next to it ,I held my wrist band up and asked for a drink ( the reply I got was strange ,the waiter replied sorry sir not all inclusive you have to pay ) how could this be all inclusive ? So we went outside the hotel walked to the right and heard live music ,on following our ears we found a lady singing away ,not bad, through to an open area ,a stage and a women performer we approached a man with a black small folder and showed him our all inclusive bands (Sorry sir not all inclusive but we can charge it to your room if you want food or drinks ) apparently this was not part of the hotel it was known as the grand mall and there was a pizza restaurant ,a steakhouse ,and another which was a Italian I think never saw it open so not sure. God was this a joke I thought as we agreed we all needed an early night so off we went .Next day we awoke nice and early got sun beds and went for breakfast , still smiling and marvelling at the fantastic weather ,at the breakfast buffet usual stuff omelettes cooks fresh in front of you ,got our breakfast and sat down ,free tables I thought ,but it was only 7.15am ,a cup of tea and some mango juice squash stuff although you will be offered fresh orange juice at a cost of 27 le that £2.70p per glass . Back at the pool that was a good size with a single small jet of water spaying up about 5 feet into the air resembling a burst pipe in the middle (could this be the spectacular water fountain advertised in The Grand resort brochure ? ) oh well maybe it get better later on I mused ..and guess what it doesn’t ,it actually goes off altogether at times ,so the weather and the pool all good ,during the day between 12noon and 5 the island pool bar was open for hotdogs ,burgers and kebabs the lads at last found something they liked and it was quite nice, the island pool bar service was really very good compared with the rest of the hotel so we tipped the staff regular and they looked after us .But the menu here was quite small and after three days you are looking at the same foods all around this hotel and the buffets ,there are 2 ale carte restaurants which you have to book for ,The Nigma and the Mediterranean but they are both ok the nigma has a belly dancer but its outside so you cook in the heat ,but the Mediterranean was inside and much better service than the buffets .Outside the main buffet there are cooking station which will cook stir fry’s for you pick your food and the Chinese man cooks it for you not bad for a change of taste but again always get a table first or you will be wondering around with a plate full of hot food and nowhere to sit .The entertainment at this hotel was none existent day or night .The buffet by the main reception ,the Marrakesh buffet ,And the pool bar are the only places you can eat while here all inclusive and the only bar is the orange bar where you can get a drink and this is where you get your water but the hotel only allows 3 small bottles a day per room (all inclusive eh ?) so on the 5 day I complained to the hotel reception about my concerns and they told me the hotel manager would contact my room at 5pm the same day to discuss the problems .
So I waited and waited and waited and guess what? No call so I contacted my red sea rep who arranged a meeting for us to talk all together and we did we sat I advised the manager and the rep the problems are not good for a 5* hotel and listed the problems.
The water restriction (not good in that heat).
The lack of basic items i.e.
Glasses in the only place to get a drink
Basic food and drink running out i.e.
Chicken at the stir fry station.
Island pool bar, Maracesh Buffet, Mahara Buffet. 2 ale carte restaurants. (ALL INCLUSIVE)
SNACK BAR, WATERFRONT, PERGOLA BAR, MARAKESH TERRACE, STEAKHOUSE. (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
Running out of drinks in the bars including the only sugar free drinks they did, Diet Pepsi (not good for my son who’s a Diabetic.
Ketchup..AND SO ON.
And about the lack of entertainment day and night, in the main lobby they evening entertainment for about 45 minutes a night but we could not use this as the bar charged for drinks not good, so I asked about the day time entertainment and the manager replied (we have music playing by the pool) i.e. a radio station playing from a small speaker.
All these problems on a regular basis, and his reply was fantastic he actually agreed with me , This was a bad hotel not 5* and not all inclusive he said ( I am so sorry for these problems but the hotel is trying to cater for bed and breakfast ,half board, and all inclusive and it’s not working ) WOW I thought not even a word to defend his hotel he just said yes this is what it is ,so I asked for him to write me a letter confirming these problems and he said YES OMG .I was amazed ,the rep sat there shaking his head and just like the manager agreed ,although the next day he declined and said sorry but I can’t give you a letter from the hotel surprise! he proceeded to offer 50% of the steakhouse and the Indian restaurants which I declined ,how many times I said (I’m all inclusive I have paid for my food once, I’m not paying again). The rep gave me complaint form I which I filled in and gave them back to him, he said he would send them to head office straight away. When you talk to the staff working at this hotel they admit it’s nowhere near as good as it is rated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurghada
Siva Grand Beach Hotel
Mercure Hurghada
Mercure Hurghada
#9 of 175 in Hurghada
4.5 of 5 stars 2,261 reviews

Been to The Grand Resort Hurghada? Share your experiences!