“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent service, great help, very friendly. Loverly rooms. Please be aware of the taxis out side the hotel they are nothing to do with the hotel but taxi drivers will try con you or trick you to change some money and then say you give them the wrong note so please be aware. Apart from this our holiday was very good stress three holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Loved it such a beautiful resort some of the nicest people working at the hotel. Very cheap, don't pay for activities via the hotel as its overly priced people who work in the local shops will assist, also ignore the hagglers they are the same all throughout Egypt

• Stayed June 2013
Manningtree
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel was very nice not 5* of British standard but I am sure it was by Egyptian standards.The rooms were a bit dated but were very clean.Bathroom needed revamping but was clean.Pool area was excellent and was cleaned all day long.Food not so good my daughter and I both became ill after 3 days think it may have been the desserts as that is the only thing that we ate which was the same and my daughter suffered for 4 days which actually ruined her holiday.We couldn't go on one of the trips that we booked because of this.I did find it very annoying that the Egyptians constantly expect you to tip them even for puttin parasol up around the pool area they would hang around and wait to be tipped I paid extra to go to a 5* hotel so I don't expect to be constantly tipping and when you didn't tip they could be quite rude.I had a problem in the dining room one evening when I ordered water and the waiter bought out coke when I told him that was not what I ordered he started to say something in Egyptian which I didn't understand but took as though I was in the wrong and I had to have the coke so I didn't sit in his area after that as I found it quite rude. LThe dining hall was a bit of a free for all in the evenings as it was buffet style you were not shown to a seated area you would have to find your own table which wasn't always easy. It was also more catered towards the Germans and Russians as I didn't see one other English person in the hotel.The majority of the staff were polite and quite helpful. I Booked a couple of trips one which was to paradise island which we didn't get to do so I cannot comment on that one but we dd do a trip to Luxor to the valley of the kings and some other historical sites which was a good day out but be prepared it is very hot in Luxor 45 degrees which did become unbearable when walking around and there was a lot of walking but trip was definitely worth while it is and early start 5.30 am and home at 10.00pm.I never booked the trips through the tour company as they charge a lot more if you come out of the hotel and turn right there are a lot of shops and you can buy the trips from any tof these but do get different prices as they can vary and haggle because they want your business.I also found that when out and about you do get harassed a lot and it can become over whelming sometimes and you fell like just buying to get them off you back but just persist and say no you will find this even worse when you go to the tourist sites especially in Luxor.Beware when going to Luxor the guides will try and sell you an extra trip to crocodile island for about £10 each it is so not worth it a short trip down the river Nile to a banana plantation where you will see bananas and other fruit trees, a cow,some sheep and 2 crocodiles in a smal pit which I thought was cruel and then they will ask you to sit and eat bananas and melon DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS EXTRA stay on the air conditioned bus you will be shattered by then anyway.Overall trip was ok not sure if I would go back to that hotel even though the pool areas were really nice and there was a beach you could use at the Grand HOtel opposite I don't feel that it was catered for the English clientel and being ill has put me off.The pillows were really hard I couldn't sleep on them .The sunbeds were always gone by 8.30 people would put their towels on them and not come back til after lunch which I think the management should also look at. I was having to go out at 7.45 to ensure I got a sunbed with some shade but as I had a room by the pool i didn't have to walk far.If you do become ill out here you will need to go to their pharmacy as our drugs will not work on an upset stomach we had to take tablets for feeling sick, another for bad bacteria and another for the diarrhoea and there is a pharmacy opposit the hotel which I would imagine has a roaring trade it cost me about £20 as I had to go back for more tablets for my daughter as it just wasn't clearing up

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking one of the pools which was excellent and very quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Levice, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Grand resort is very attractive hotel, for people all ages.
Nice hotel, nice environment, nice food and fantastic staff.
Hotel staff are willing, polite and always very helpful.
For me hotel have the highest marks. Absolute satisfaction in all directions.
I sure if you choose this hotel, you will not be disappointed.

Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We ( two adults and a six year old) stayed for a week in April 2013 in the hotel.

Hotel: 9/10
The hotel in general is very nice. Clean, well maintained and comfortable. My only criticism is that it’s really hard to find your way around. Our room was one of those on the top floor furthest from reception. It took 4 days before I could find the room without getting lost (and our daughter never worked it out). The corridors all lead off one another and look identical. “Rabbit warren” and “labyrinth” were words that came up very frequently when talking to other guests.

Rooms: 9/10
The rooms were large, comfortable and well spaced out. The bed was enormous and very comfortable and even with an extra bed added for our daughter there was plenty of space. We did however have a room at the back of the hotel facing the street, and yes, you could hear the traffic. Despite getting the setting sun the noise and lack of view stopped from using the balcony even once.

Pools: 8/10
Two pools were open as the others were closed for maintenance. They are advertised as being heated but this is only partially true. It was only when other guests, who had stayed there previously, started complaining that the pool heating was turned on. The temperature rose from 18 degrees (brrr) to a lovely 26 degrees over a few days, only to then start to drop again. In general the pools were too cold to spend a long time playing in but were great for a quick swim and cool down.
My advice would be to check the temperature (thermometers are available at reception) and complain if it’s too chilly. They advertise heated pools; you are paying for heated pools, so insist that the pools be heated.

Beach: 2/10
The beach, which is a five-minute walk away over the road and through a partner hotel, was very uninspiring. A short stretch of sand, more like a harbor area than an idyllic beachfront. Boats are moored just off the beach and banana boats work very close to the beach causing noise and toxic fumes. The slides advertised were all closed up and the whole area came across as very sad.

Kids Club: 1/10
Maybe it was because it was off-season but it was TERRIBLE. The area in front was a building site as they worked on one of the pools and the only access was through a section of the hotel. I would have never found it had I not gone searching. When we walked in there was not a single child there and within seconds was easy to see why. The woman in charge didn’t greet us in any way and continued to work on her laptop. We sat down and coloured for 15 mins, totally ignored the entire time by a bored looking guy and the laptop woman. The atmosphere was horrible and I would not have left my daughter there alone. Holidays are meant to be fun and kids clubs are meant to provide entertainment.

Food: 5/10
Hmmm this is a tricky one.
On the negative side we ate very average food for the entire week. They tried to get it right and the food looked great. However they got it just wrong enough each and every time to cause disappointment. ( ie, they had bread and butter pudding but with no spice and twice as much egg as normal it ended up tasting like scrambled egg and toast, the pastries were so dry they were unpleasant to eat etc )
The service started out being funny but by the end of the week was just annoying. The waiters try to be friendly and efficient but are not trained and get their priorities wrong. I would collect coffee for breakfast and put it on the table and leave to get some food, however on returning with my food the untouched coffee had been cleared away. It was always difficult to find spoons and if you asked a waiter it would take forever to come or never arrive. If you went looking, you would return to no food. By the end of the week it drove me mad. Yes they should clear dirty dishes, but if they concentrated on serving rather than clearing it would be a MUCH more relaxing experience.

On the positive side children are automatically all inclusive and the lunch buffet is perfect for them to eat at during the day.
We also took the option to eat at a reduced price at a neighboring restaurant next door to the hotel and the food was very good. I’d definitely recommend it.

Trips and spa: 8/10
We wanted to go scuba diving but it was so windy the entire week that the conditions would have made it a waste of time (not that the organizers will ever admit such thing). The locals will promise you whatever they think you want to hear regarding weather conditions etc. without actually having any knowledge. If you really want to know, you will have to check yourself.

Other guests took package trips from the hotel but were told on the day that the glass bottom boat was out of action. Only those who made a fuss got any kind of a refund and we heard later that it had been broken for weeks but was still be advertised as part of the package!

We took a package of three massages and they were all great. The massage area is far from luxurious, (tiny cubicles together next to the pool.) However if you shut your eyes and ignore that, the massages themselves were very good and leave you smelling delightful.

Summary. 8/10
All in all I would say that we had a good holiday. If you are looking for a pool break where you can read your book and enjoy the weather this place is wonderful. If you are keen to explore and get out and about then maybe it’s not ideal. The surrounding streets and neighborhoods are not pleasant to walk around and we spent 99% of our time in the hotel.

Room Tip: Take a pool side room.
Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is my 5 time in Grand Resort. It is always the best holiday I can imagein. Beautiful hotel with quality services, polite people, nice food and more - this everything together will make just a perfect holiday. I am sure, that next year I will come again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We love the sourroundings and the hotel. I though would say that the staff has become a bit lazy by the years, they used to more friendly.. This only aplies to the waiters staff, the front desk and housekeeping are really nice. We had a misunderstanding with a waiter by the pool, where he actualy questioned us and made fun of us. We ordered a Gin & Tonic - he came back with glasses of only gin. Didn´t understand our order of drinks - said that tonic was finished but we could get another soda. No ice, no straws. After some arguments he took he gin back and we had a beer instead.

On my mothers birthday we visited the Mediterranean restaurant, wich where great! The staff are friendly and nice and the food was very good. Nice to get something other than the buffet for a day. The staff came out all together and sang happy birthday for our table, together with a cake. Very appreciated!

We really missed the animation team that used to be there. The Entertainment during the evening felt a bit poor. But we really enjoyed the yoga & gym classes during the Days.

So - overall a very nice stay as usual at Grand REsort, we will come back for a fourth time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Resort Hurghada? Share your experiences!