“Beach Holiday Shedwan Golden Beach Resort . We come back !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort

You added Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort to your Saves list
Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   EL Dahar, El Korensh Road | El Korensh Road, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #48 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
3.5 of 5 stars 233 Reviews
Den Helder Nederland
“Beach Holiday Shedwan Golden Beach Resort . We come back !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Last May, my husband and I were on Holiday in the Shedwan Golden Beach Resort in Hurghada Egypt. We have 3 nice weeks. We know, not every thing is O.K. in the hotel, much have to change, for example the food. There was first the change of the owner, then the revolution and that all gives a lot of problems. No guests, no income, becouse many people don't come for a Holiday to Hurghada. But I can tell them, its good there, no problems in Hurghada.This hotel deserve that their "' old guests "' come back. The people from Germany, Belgium, Holland, and other countries. Not only the East European guests !!! The hotelstaff, Managers, Housekeeping, Cooks, Beachboys, everybody do their best to make it the guests as comfortable as they can. And then the beach, which hotel in Hurghada has such a nice great beach as the Shedwan, which a lot of places were you can laydown under the palmtrees, looking to the azureblue see and bleu sky ! In September my husband and I going again to the Shedwan Golden Beach Resort for our twentieth holiday!!!!
Ada and Jan from Holland

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Landgraaf
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

For more than 20 years we visit Shedwan Golden Beach every year several times and months.Like so many repeating guests we love this hotel and place and all this years we where very satisfied about the accomendation, the beach,the service and the food, it was a very good 3+ stars hotel that always had a lot off regular guests from different countries.

This time when we came back we where badly surprised when we saw that the beach on many places, special the area around the Blue Lagoon was broken down and that the Blue Lagoon restaurant," the most nicest place in the whole hotel," where many people used to met each other to have a drink or a meal" was closed.
And what about the food,yes after talking with the managment team they tried to make it better. so there where dressings by the salades,the tomato's and fruit where more ripe, yes i saw changes. But all by all the quality and variation could be better.We know and understand that after the revolution and the dramatic fall off the tourisme in Egypt it is difficult to hold the quality equal as before.But when many guests don't return because off this problems the future will even be more whorse for this, once so beloved hotel.
The whole staff from the managment to the waiters, the cleaningstaff and the people who works in the garden nothing else than praise them for their kindness, friendly, and helpfull behavior.Everybody is trying to do the best they could to comfort their guests and stay always friendly by all the comments they recieve so much. So our thanks to all off them
What our feeling is that it is not the present managment that is responsable for all the feallures in the moment, but that it is a question off money from a higher level from the Sunrise Chain.We think their first option has to be, to bring Shedwan back to the standard it has before as a very good 3+ star hotel,with good food and that offers his guests the possibility to choose halfboard, breakfast or all-inclusive and i am sure many former guests than will return.This is much better than plans to rebuilt it to an 5star hotel when even a 3 star in the moment not is feasible.Also our vision is that all the All-inclusive hotels and special those who are located in the areas as Dahar, Sekalla etc, they are destroying the local bussiness from so many Egyptians and local life, cosyness,to met locals and be friends, with the nice and friendly Egyptian people, while most off ALL-INN people stay inside. And worst off all many tourist got frightend by travelagency's and tourleaders telling them that it is dangerous to go outside. that is really pitty, because the Egyptians are the nicest and friendly people with a lot off humor, i ever met. and never we have had any problem with them all 52 times we visit Egypt . we travell so many times around in this beautifull country all by our own, from north to south and from east to west, by train bus etc, so we can say, go out and discover the beauty from the land and his people.
And on the end We will wish the managment team from Shedwan and all who works there all the best,succes to make Shedwan again a good place to stay. And thanks for all your kindness.
Tina and Assiuti

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I have travelled extensively in Egypt for five years and this is the only hotel I have been asked to pay before I stayed!

The he -man receptionist Magdy had me in tears at check in. I should have walked away then. The hotels’ Visa machine was not working, so he ordered me to go to the ATM, and barked at me because I didn’t have a pen. Payment was requested in dollars, I had sterling or local money so when I had procured the cash, it took the hotel until the second day to provide change and no receipt was offered until I requested one. Samy apologized for the way Magdy treated me.

As a solo female traveller, it is not uncommon to be treated badly by male reception staff.

In my internet booking I had asked for a sunny quiet room as I wanted to spend time relaxing in the sun reading in the privacy of my balcony. I was given a small ground floor room in Block 1 facing the festive marquee about 70m away, sideways on to the beach , with a small 1metre terrace, which turned out to be directly on the main thoroughfare which most of the beach and building staff used to go to and fro. At the end of the day they all trooped past staring into the rooms, there were no net curtains for modesty. I felt very disinclined to sit on the terrace.

The room did not in any way resemble the room on the booking website. Squalid and tired would be accurate description. All the electrical wiring and sockets were in a poor state, with only one door on the wardrobe, grubby curtains, dirty fridge. As the bell boy was showing me to my room a German asked if he could view my room, as he considered his so bad he was leaving and going to find another hotel. I have stayed in many Egyptian hotels, and have to say this room was, for what I paid, the worst value for money.

The beach is enormous, clean, sandy, plenty of chaise longues and quiet places could be found to sunbath away from the loud pounding music. Beach boy Carlos ensured my towel was laid out each day, the table was within reach, and arranged a spare mattress to shelter me from the breeze and all with a smile. On the first day I was pestered by beach sales for tattoos, diving, horse ride, camel ride, wind surfing, hair dresser, pedicure and massage. I told them in Arabic in a polite but very firm way to go away and had no further hassle. I got struck on the head by a wayward kite sail!

The hotel appeared to be undergoing substantial renovation over 50% of the site, and throughout my stay, even on Christmas day, drilling, banging and sawing went on all day. Painters and stone workers laboured around the only heated pool.
The music was so loud in the marquee on Christmas Eve that my whole room shook and the metal windows rattled, and even after this finished just after midnight, the loud disco music from a bar close to the hotel was so bad that I decided at 2am to put the air conditioning on try to block out the noise. As I operated the switch, there was a loud bang and sparks shot out of the air conditioning unit filling my room with electrical fumes. I went to call help on the telephone only to have the entire wall socket disintergrate out of the wall in my hand and the phone inoperative. I ran to reception to get help, where upon 4 staff accompanied me to my room and agreed there was a strong electrical smell and proceeded to remove the false ceiling panels to investigate. 30 minutes later the maintenance staff completed their checks, but by then the room had acquired several mosquitos, and with still quite a strong electrical smell I was told everything was OK and I should go to sleep, which was now possible as the loud bar music had stopped.

On Christmas morning, I felt sick from inhaling burnt wires all night, stressed and depressed and had several mosquito bites. I had been woken up at 8am by the housekeeping’s normal cleaning schedule of moving all the furniture off the terrace outside the rooms to mop. The beach staff paraded down to the beach talking loudly on their mobile phones. I felt like I was in a nightmare. The Christmas day food was the same as all the other days.

By lunchtime, I could not endure the smell in my room any more and told reception I wanted to change rooms. The receptionist went to get the manager, who it seems was fully familiar with the events in my room and agreed to give me a new room. The new room (in Block 2) was massive, big bed, proper fixings, lamps that worked, rug on the floor, sunny terrace, in fact it looked just like the room on the website! And it was shielded by another block from the marquee and out of earshot of the loud bar and if it wasn’t for the loud Russians partying on the terrace two rooms along until 4.30am I am sure I would have had an excellent sleep.

This all inclusive hotel has obviously had better days. The food was generally very average (the highlight: the tomato soup at Boxing Day lunch) with very little recognizable meat at any of the meals during my stay. Alcoholic spirits seemed to be watered down and were served in plastic mugs.. No bottled water is supplied. The cakes and pastries were salty. Most of the guests are Russian/Polish and I think I was the only Brit.

How could my Christmas treat leave me feeling so stressed ? I couldn’t wait to check out. It was such a relief to get back into the noise and chaos of Hurghada.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Well... few days ago I came back from Hurghada, where I spent holidays with my mum. We had a great stay at Shedwan... only...
- tha staff at the hotel is brilliant, except one man, who made us feel, that we are there just to pay and than shut up. We had a problem with the air condition that did not work - I've been coming to reception for 3 times a day for 3 days and the man called Yasser told me every time "Someone will fix it in 5 minutes", next days I found out, that he's got huge problems with understanding English or German. His second problem was, that he never smiled - all the people at the hotel were still smiling, only he was looked like a dumb when someone talked to him. Than if I needed something I always went to guest relation manager Alessandra or receptionist called Samy, they were really helpful!

- the rooms are OK, if you need them only for sleeping and taking shower. We were all the day at the beach or in the town, so we were satisfied with it. But some people used for 4-5* hotels in Europe might not like it

- we spent there two weeks, so last days we were quite bored by food (eating rice/potatoes, aubergine ang goulash.-style meat everyday was sometimes hard:-) but their salads and sweets were great (still can not understand that i did not gain some weight:-)

- the water in the rooms - do not know why, but usually once a day we had no water for an hour or two (it's a bit uncomfortable if returning from the beach),the told us, that it is in whole Hurghada, but when we spoke to people from other hotels, they told us they had no problems with it... dunnp

- the worst problem for me was the all inslusive system. On the day of departure we could use the all-inclusive bracelet only until 12, we've paid a late check out until 18, so we could keep it until that time, but than we must return it. Our bus picked us up at 22, so we were 4 hours without drinks (or we should pay them!), management of Shedwan maybe fears, that our two cokes would beggar them...

- the biggest positive on Shedwan is the beach and the garden, that's why we chose it. In august was low season, so the beach was almost empty and we really enjoyed it, also the beachboy was very nice and helpful. On the beach is also a boy with a camel - I recommend you to take a ride! (comparing the beach-camel Alex with the camels we met at the pyramidz in Giza, alex is beautiful, clean healthy and friendly camel!:-) On the beach are sometimes people from the hotel beauty center or spa - offering massages ets., if you tell them, that you are not interested, they won't bother you. At the beach we also bought a trip for a semi-submarine (called Aquascope) from a guy called Mero - we got it 5 Euros cheaper than from travel agency and the service was very good, so I could recommend...

So if you want to enhoy relaxing holiday on a beautiful beach and with nice smiling people and you do not mind a simple room, I would recommend it 100%

• Stayed August 2010
Lithuania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

The reviews of this hotel were good, but unfortunately...........Yesterday we returned from SHEDWAN GOLDEN BECH 3*. There are two hotels combined - the photos you see is SHEDWAN GARDEN BEACH 4* ! 3* hotel is one floor cheep one. Stuff friendly but stupid - you have to tell them angry what you need otherwise only smile no reaction! Rooms are old- but semi clean. There were 30 min. program all the day the same - for older people. Only the territory was very big and nice. Food was ok - nothing special , nothing delicious! In the evenings we went to the city for 3 usd TAXI service, because there was no action at all. The prices for water sports massages and drinks were like you are in the center of London at Crown Plaza. I can recommend this hotel only for 50+ aged persons, the younger tourists will be disappointed. Lot's of old Germans - no Russians- :) Thank you, it was the first and the last time we went there!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Lahti, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

When you arrive from the see by boat, that is the only hotel you can call "palm forest" by the beach. Blue Laguna (where you also find Italian restaurant) excellent place to have just sun and to do snorkling. Two sister hotels side by side, possible the biggest beach together having several snack bars and a lot of possibilities for many kind of activities. Nice diving centre www.ozonediving.com, they took good care of clients. Breakfast was good, dining nothing special, but very good Argentina steak house just when you walk out from hotel. We were five different people - all going again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
US and UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

The room was basic and pretty clean except for the smell of cat urine. The power went out several times. We had a small patio at the rear of the room with table and chairs, however we were unable to sit in them due to the bird droppings and substantial stray cat population. Beware the cats will enter the room if you leave the door or window open. The half-board breakfast and dinner buffet was good with many choices. However, be prepared to fend off the constant offers for drinks for sale. They were not included our the package. We eventually bought our own drinks in for dinner. They did provide us with box lunches when we were unable to attend the meals as a result of our early departure for sightseeing tours.

We enjoyed the private beach on the Red Sea and we were able to take a camel ride for a small fee. The beach was conveniently located on the edge of the compound just a few steps from our room. There are several activities for children and there is a disco in the evening. There is a gift shop and travel agents on premises. We felt safe there as two female travellers. We were there for the Xmas holiday and the decorations were so beautiful. It was one of my best Christmases!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family

Been to Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort? Share your experiences!