“Tranquil seaside desert location for Oberoi hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 117 | Red Sea Coast, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #1 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
Oxford,
“Tranquil seaside desert location for Oberoi hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We are mid 70s, and in February took our regular winter warmer holiday, this time to Hurghada, Red Sea - a first visit, lasting 10days.

At first sight, the Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is attractive, with big well-tended gardens of sand, turf, shrubs, and angled rock walls. The villas look identical, in blocks of 3 or 4, and are gleaming white in the constant sun. On a wide site there is an efficient service of golf buggies to ferry guests around, though a short walk is usually the first choice.

Our villa opened onto the beach, complete with rustic umbrellas and loungers, each camp surrounded by smart canvas screens against the frequent stiff breezes. The beach is kept immaculate, as are the villas. First class housekeeping throughout, and good bar service on the beach too.

Our villa was large (though not the most expensive) with a sitting area indoors, high ceilings,and an open air courtyard, very private, with two sunbeds and four chairs round a big table. The decor is Middle Eastern and attractive throughout the villa. With a huge double bed, immense down pillows, and a goose-feather mattress topper, Madam claimed it was the most comfortable she had ever found, and she will upgrade our beds at home !

There is a big bathroom, complete with bidet and sunken marble bath, which however takes an hour to fill a few inches deep - the big shower is quicker by far. There is a good walk-in dressing room with plenty of hangers and drawers. Tea and coffee available next to the room minibar. Altogether a charming and well-appointed apartment, well-kept by the housekeeping staff.

Do not expect entertainment, apart from soothing single instruments at dinner on some nights. The dining room is spacious with an additional open-air courtyard for warm evenings and cool.
breakfasts. Food service is very attentive, and the quality of cooking good though not quite up to the top standard. The book-only Indian restaurant was open for dinner on two nights per week, with an interesting menu which we did not get to try.

Our single complaint is that meals and drinks, especially alcohol, are well over-priced, Dinner for two most nights was close to £100 (sterling) with two courses and a bottle of modest Egyptian wine. One day we visited friends in the Sheraton, Soma Bay (45 minutes down the coast) for lunch and found they were paying literally half our price for the identical wine. Beer from the pool bar is nearly £5 for the quite nice local lager (Sakhara), three times what we paid for the same beer in a local beach cafe. This is a matter of management choice, but there is some slight feeling that a captive market is being gently exploited.

The local climate is delicious in winter, cool at night and 25 by day, when not cooled by the quite frequent breeze. There is a nice dive shop in the grounds, with excellent instructors, and local snorkelling is attractive, with a house reef easily accessible from the beach or the little pier, which has really good non-slip steps down. We enjoyed the snorkelling as much there as in the other three sites we visited, with the proviso that the sea gets a little choppy during strong breezes at low tide.

Enough said: we enjoyed our stay, though this is a small resort hotel of around 100 suites, and cannot compare for luxury with the big Oberois in Calcutta, Singapore, or Hong Kong. But for the lovely climate, swimming and reading, and for a quiet break with attentive service it stands up well.

Clientele was mixed, including Dutch, German, French, British, and Muslim visitors from other nearby Arab states. The atmosphere was calm and quite, especially round the beautiful three-level infinity pool, where towels arrive almost before you choose your sunbed. At half term there was an influx of children of various nationalities, all very well behaved. Your travel agent will propose expeditions, which we found interesting. The hotel's fleet of chauffeur driven Mercedes are much nicer than small local taxis and surprisingly good value for private trips.

Room Tip: Beach/sea views are nice, but most rooms have a decent outlook. Rooms closer to the restaurant area...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMtosh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our product and services on offer to your liking. I must add that our food and beverage prices are priced in line with our competitive set of hotels in Egypt. Thank you for your feedback on the same.
We look forward to you returning to our resort in the near future.
Email: dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Amersham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been fortunate and holiday'd aroound the world - most of it with 5 children in tow.
We've stayed in horels in Taba, Shahm and Hurgurda with them: but this was an adult break.
The criteria: short haul from UK, sunshine ( we were escaping freezing conditions and snow, quality of accomodation and service. All the boxes got ticked!

Sadly for the hotel but wonderful for us the political climate in Egypt and the worldwide recession have conspired to reduce their occupancy, we almost had the place to ourselves!
The villa was beautiful, housekeeping of the highest standard, food of a high standard too, the staff are so obviously well trained and the clean beaches with sunloungers you would never have to fight for..

Next Oberoi stop is Lombok in September.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a sea view villa (number 204) which had a sunfilled terrace which was private an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_SahlHasheesh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing us for your short break for sunshine. The team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. With just 102 suites over 48 acres, the hotel even when full offers a private and serene atmosphere to all our guests. We look forward to being your first choice destination for your next short break away from the cold weather of Europe.
Email: Dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com
stoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

For anyone that loves diving this is a great destination, the Oberoi has a lovely beach which you can snorkel and find lots of interesting fish. The whole area has been effected by the recession so very quiet and you can have the hotel to yourself. I would return here next winter, this hotel is a lot more understated resisting the usual gold glitz camels and domes.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our resort. The house reef in front of the hotel beach is home to numerous species of marine life and coral and makes an excellent playground for the keen snorkeller and diver. Our PADI dive centre on site offers a range of options for the beginners and advanced divers. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your future stays.
Email: Dhiren.Pereira@oberoihotels.com
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been asked to write a review so here it is [this is my personal opinion only and I have worked extremely hard to be able to stay in the best resorts across the world]: It’s my seventh excursion into Egypt, and second time in Hurghada and the Oberoi Sal Hasheesh is the best hotel I have come across in Egypt. I was planning on giving up Egypt for sun and looking to the Middle East, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha for mid-haul luxury accommodation but the Oberoi may just have swayed me and I would visit a second time if I get desperate for sun again.
As other people have mentioned, Hurghada is not exactly an attractive place but as a sun seeker, I had no real interest in visiting Hurgahda which makes the Oberoi’s isolated location special (approx. 25mins drive). Personally, I felt I was in the Caribbean as opposed to Egypt as the hotel décor and architecture looks much more colonial than Egyptian. The complex is set across an enclosed coastal resort in the style of most luxurious competitors, such as the Banyan Tree, Anantara, Rosewood, etc. There is security at the main gate off the main road and your car has to pass security, drive up a long drive and into the hotel grounds.
On arrival, I was disappointed. The wow factor just wasn’t there and the entrance and lobby was too small. I felt like I was rocking up to my friend’s house. After check-in, I was taken to my Grand Suite by golf buggy and dropped off. Really didn’t like it. I felt like I was in an aparthotel studio with the convenience of private pool outside. Whilst the suite was pleasant enough I wouldn’t be happy stuck in a bland, white walled studio apartment/ villa for ten days. The pool itself felt soulless with just a pool surrounded by white walls and no vegetation, and I didn’t like the compact layout with having the bed two metres from the living room and TV area with no partition to separate the areas. I am sure the suite is more than adequate for others but it didn’t do it for me.
Managed to check-out and check-in to the Royal Suite. I was advised the best Royal suite is 402 situated on the beach. I agree, the best Royal suite is definitely on the beach in addition to the two Grand suites and one duplex suite on the beach. The hotel complex starts on a hill where the main reception is located with villas and suites working their way downwards to the beach and sea. On one side of Royal suite sits a Duplex suite and this connects to the Royal suite so the Royal suite could expand to a 2 bed suite if necessary. There are two or three Grand suites connected to the Royal suite on the other side and these four suites/ villas (401-404) are the only properties on the beach. The suite has amazing views. On one side is the internal courtyard and private pool and on the other side you can see the beach and sea which is two metres from the front door. Suggest you look at the suites/ villas on the Oberoi website to get a feel.
The Royal suite is twice as large as the Grand with separate kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, two bathrooms, pool, courtyard, and pavilion for al fresco dining. Still not amazed by the suite as it was looking a bit tired and the kitchen needed a real deep clean, but overall, much happier knowing I would spend ten days in larger accommodation.
Hotel specifics: Built in 2000, the hotel does look remarkably well maintained on the exteriors and I often saw painter decorators working on empty properties. The hotel was running at 25% occupancy so exclusivity and privacy worked well and I would probably see 4 other humans at most per day (excluding staff) which is exactly what I like. Complimentary WiFi as standard with individual routers in every suite ensures you have a stable connection although I did have a few minor connectivity issues.
Being a real food monster, I have struggled with food from so called five star Egyptian hotels being somewhat lacklustre and not really tasting quite right. However, the Oberoi really does come out tops for Egypt. The food was a real unanticipated but nice surprise as the standard and quality of food was good. I also found the prices for food to be extremely reasonable. Major pluses for me: all Grand and Royal suites have the option of having breakfast delivered to the suites in the morning (at a time of your choice), free of charge. That’s a special service and I am yet to come across this option anywhere else in the world.
Lunch is not allowed to be served at the beach area due to hygiene reasons but if you are staying in a beach property it really is very easy to go back to the suite to dine and then come back out to the beach. If lying on the beach, the towels and beds are tended to promptly and you will receive complimentary water and factor 25 sun cream, which I thought was a very nice and personal touch.
I used the Spa and really enjoyed my treatments. Again, I thought the services provided represented excellent value for money and the Thai therapists were a) actually Thai b) really well trained and happy and friendly. Unfortunately, the hotel committed a cardinal sin of placing the small gym onto the spa so if you are having treatment, you have to hope nobody is working out and making grunting noises or pounding the treadmill. Kind of defeats the peace and serenity one is trying to achieve. The gym is small and basic and if you’re into the new HIIT training routines, there is unfortunately no studio space so best to borrow a mat and work out in your suite/ villa. Also had the pleasure of using the hairdresser which was an experience…
Staff are all friendly and dedicated and I particularly enjoyed using the hotel limousine service. Again, fantastic value for money with a return trip to Hurghada with one hour waiting time approx. 150LE. I often used the driver to go to the malls and he can wait for additional hours at 20LE per hour so it’s a real bargain in my opinion. You have the choice of two mercs, low and high range but I found the low range C class Kompressor to be more than adequate to get about without drawing too much attention. If you are offered private transfers with your travel agent, I would rather contact the hotel directly to ask for a pick up and drop off as it will be cheaper and in a nicer vehicle.
If you get ill, the hotel has a doctor who will visit but this is a paid service. 35Euros for a consultation, 15 Euros for the outcall and xEuros for medicine. The doc will provide an authorised invoice slip which you have to pay onsite but can claim back via insurance.
Finally, the complex isn't that big although a golf buggy service is available and prompt. Request a beach property unless you have mobility issues, and enjoy the sun.

Room Tip: Select a beach property (Rm 401-404)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMtosh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of our resort and for considering us the best hotel in Egypt. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the resort and are considering to return at a later date. Thank you for personal feedback on the design and location of the suites and the product in general. It is nice to note that you enjoyed the food at our resort. We do have future plans of renovating our spa and gymnasium. In the interim, our Thai therapists do provide the best holistic experience.
Please contact me personally once you decide to return and I once again thank you for your valuable feedback.
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our trip to Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh was one of the best trips we had
the hotel is amazing and the service is very professional and warm
the view from the room was really good and the food was superb
Definitely if we have another chance soon we will go again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing us for your recent vacation on the Red Sea. The team and I are delighted that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay.
Email: Dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our stay in Oberoi, Sahl Hashish was an ideal vacation beginning with the terrific hospitality and the flawless service to the relaxing environment and amazing facilities.
The suite pool was heated and perfect for the weather. The outdoors pool and restaurant pool view amazingly relaxing.
Definitely if we have another chance soon we will go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMtosh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our resort. It is heartening to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and will consider to return in the near future as and when the opportunity arises. We look forward to seeing you back.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having stayed at several 5* Hotels(Four Seasons,Kempinski,Burj Al Arab etc.)we found the Oberoi
to be the best Hotel we have ever stayed in.

The location is amazing,the food was of an equivalent standard to any top-class restaurant in the world and the staff are impeccable and faultless in their care and attention.

We stayed for 2 weeks,Room 103 with a heated pool, and enjoyed every minute of it.With the weather being cloudy at times we decided to stay in the suite on a few occasions.You can laze about in total privacy around your own decent size pool.The in room service was exceptional and we loved the informality.Daily changing menus are delivered promptly from the restaurant.

We would like to thank the General Manager Dhiren Pereira for requesting sunshine in his prayers for us(the weather changed drastically)and would like to assure him that we are definately going to take up his invitation for the cocktail party next time!Also thanks to Gamal who kept us fed and watered in a provisional,but also,humorous manner,Kate&Ampar in the lovely spa and Amed for keeping our room spotless and the amazing towel art(the monkey decided to come home with us).

We soon came to terms with the perfection of the place and thought it might be a good idea,although a difficult task,to find a fault.After a lengthy investigation I found that the radio on the bedsite table displayed to wrong time and date...

On a serious note,if it's peace,tranquility,good food and luxury you are looking for the Oberoi is for you.
Also worth mentioning is that all Internet throughout the premises is free and even the Ritter Sport Chocolate in the mini bar gets changed.

Thank you for making our holiday a enjoyable and memorable expirence!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of our resort. Thank you for mentioning the names of team members who provided you with moments of delight. We are pleased that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us. We look forward to many more visits from you, your family and friends. I have personally briefed the HK team to check the iPod docking stations consistently for time and date. Thank you for the feedback.
Email: dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com

Been to The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh? Share your experiences!