“Calm, relaxing, great service with genuine helpful service. The food is better than I had anticipated.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh

You added The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh to your Saves list
The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 117 | Red Sea Coast, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #1 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
stoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

For anyone that loves diving this is a great destination, the Oberoi has a lovely beach which you can snorkel and find lots of interesting fish. The whole area has been effected by the recession so very quiet and you can have the hotel to yourself. I would return here next winter, this hotel is a lot more understated resisting the usual gold glitz camels and domes.

• Stayed February 2013
Oberoi_SahlHasheesh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our resort. The house reef in front of the hotel beach is home to numerous species of marine life and coral and makes an excellent playground for the keen snorkeller and diver. Our PADI dive centre on site offers a range of options for the beginners and advanced divers. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your future stays.
Email: Dhiren.Pereira@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been asked to write a review so here it is [this is my personal opinion only and I have worked extremely hard to be able to stay in the best resorts across the world]: It’s my seventh excursion into Egypt, and second time in Hurghada and the Oberoi Sal Hasheesh is the best hotel I have come across in Egypt. I was planning on giving up Egypt for sun and looking to the Middle East, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha for mid-haul luxury accommodation but the Oberoi may just have swayed me and I would visit a second time if I get desperate for sun again.
As other people have mentioned, Hurghada is not exactly an attractive place but as a sun seeker, I had no real interest in visiting Hurgahda which makes the Oberoi’s isolated location special (approx. 25mins drive). Personally, I felt I was in the Caribbean as opposed to Egypt as the hotel décor and architecture looks much more colonial than Egyptian. The complex is set across an enclosed coastal resort in the style of most luxurious competitors, such as the Banyan Tree, Anantara, Rosewood, etc. There is security at the main gate off the main road and your car has to pass security, drive up a long drive and into the hotel grounds.
On arrival, I was disappointed. The wow factor just wasn’t there and the entrance and lobby was too small. I felt like I was rocking up to my friend’s house. After check-in, I was taken to my Grand Suite by golf buggy and dropped off. Really didn’t like it. I felt like I was in an aparthotel studio with the convenience of private pool outside. Whilst the suite was pleasant enough I wouldn’t be happy stuck in a bland, white walled studio apartment/ villa for ten days. The pool itself felt soulless with just a pool surrounded by white walls and no vegetation, and I didn’t like the compact layout with having the bed two metres from the living room and TV area with no partition to separate the areas. I am sure the suite is more than adequate for others but it didn’t do it for me.
Managed to check-out and check-in to the Royal Suite. I was advised the best Royal suite is 402 situated on the beach. I agree, the best Royal suite is definitely on the beach in addition to the two Grand suites and one duplex suite on the beach. The hotel complex starts on a hill where the main reception is located with villas and suites working their way downwards to the beach and sea. On one side of Royal suite sits a Duplex suite and this connects to the Royal suite so the Royal suite could expand to a 2 bed suite if necessary. There are two or three Grand suites connected to the Royal suite on the other side and these four suites/ villas (401-404) are the only properties on the beach. The suite has amazing views. On one side is the internal courtyard and private pool and on the other side you can see the beach and sea which is two metres from the front door. Suggest you look at the suites/ villas on the Oberoi website to get a feel.
The Royal suite is twice as large as the Grand with separate kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, two bathrooms, pool, courtyard, and pavilion for al fresco dining. Still not amazed by the suite as it was looking a bit tired and the kitchen needed a real deep clean, but overall, much happier knowing I would spend ten days in larger accommodation.
Hotel specifics: Built in 2000, the hotel does look remarkably well maintained on the exteriors and I often saw painter decorators working on empty properties. The hotel was running at 25% occupancy so exclusivity and privacy worked well and I would probably see 4 other humans at most per day (excluding staff) which is exactly what I like. Complimentary WiFi as standard with individual routers in every suite ensures you have a stable connection although I did have a few minor connectivity issues.
Being a real food monster, I have struggled with food from so called five star Egyptian hotels being somewhat lacklustre and not really tasting quite right. However, the Oberoi really does come out tops for Egypt. The food was a real unanticipated but nice surprise as the standard and quality of food was good. I also found the prices for food to be extremely reasonable. Major pluses for me: all Grand and Royal suites have the option of having breakfast delivered to the suites in the morning (at a time of your choice), free of charge. That’s a special service and I am yet to come across this option anywhere else in the world.
Lunch is not allowed to be served at the beach area due to hygiene reasons but if you are staying in a beach property it really is very easy to go back to the suite to dine and then come back out to the beach. If lying on the beach, the towels and beds are tended to promptly and you will receive complimentary water and factor 25 sun cream, which I thought was a very nice and personal touch.
I used the Spa and really enjoyed my treatments. Again, I thought the services provided represented excellent value for money and the Thai therapists were a) actually Thai b) really well trained and happy and friendly. Unfortunately, the hotel committed a cardinal sin of placing the small gym onto the spa so if you are having treatment, you have to hope nobody is working out and making grunting noises or pounding the treadmill. Kind of defeats the peace and serenity one is trying to achieve. The gym is small and basic and if you’re into the new HIIT training routines, there is unfortunately no studio space so best to borrow a mat and work out in your suite/ villa. Also had the pleasure of using the hairdresser which was an experience…
Staff are all friendly and dedicated and I particularly enjoyed using the hotel limousine service. Again, fantastic value for money with a return trip to Hurghada with one hour waiting time approx. 150LE. I often used the driver to go to the malls and he can wait for additional hours at 20LE per hour so it’s a real bargain in my opinion. You have the choice of two mercs, low and high range but I found the low range C class Kompressor to be more than adequate to get about without drawing too much attention. If you are offered private transfers with your travel agent, I would rather contact the hotel directly to ask for a pick up and drop off as it will be cheaper and in a nicer vehicle.
If you get ill, the hotel has a doctor who will visit but this is a paid service. 35Euros for a consultation, 15 Euros for the outcall and xEuros for medicine. The doc will provide an authorised invoice slip which you have to pay onsite but can claim back via insurance.
Finally, the complex isn't that big although a golf buggy service is available and prompt. Request a beach property unless you have mobility issues, and enjoy the sun.

Room Tip: Select a beach property (Rm 401-404)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMtosh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of our resort and for considering us the best hotel in Egypt. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the resort and are considering to return at a later date. Thank you for personal feedback on the design and location of the suites and the product in general. It is nice to note that you enjoyed the food at our resort. We do have future plans of renovating our spa and gymnasium. In the interim, our Thai therapists do provide the best holistic experience.
Please contact me personally once you decide to return and I once again thank you for your valuable feedback.
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our trip to Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh was one of the best trips we had
the hotel is amazing and the service is very professional and warm
the view from the room was really good and the food was superb
Definitely if we have another chance soon we will go again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing us for your recent vacation on the Red Sea. The team and I are delighted that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay.
Email: Dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our stay in Oberoi, Sahl Hashish was an ideal vacation beginning with the terrific hospitality and the flawless service to the relaxing environment and amazing facilities.
The suite pool was heated and perfect for the weather. The outdoors pool and restaurant pool view amazingly relaxing.
Definitely if we have another chance soon we will go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMtosh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our resort. It is heartening to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and will consider to return in the near future as and when the opportunity arises. We look forward to seeing you back.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having stayed at several 5* Hotels(Four Seasons,Kempinski,Burj Al Arab etc.)we found the Oberoi
to be the best Hotel we have ever stayed in.

The location is amazing,the food was of an equivalent standard to any top-class restaurant in the world and the staff are impeccable and faultless in their care and attention.

We stayed for 2 weeks,Room 103 with a heated pool, and enjoyed every minute of it.With the weather being cloudy at times we decided to stay in the suite on a few occasions.You can laze about in total privacy around your own decent size pool.The in room service was exceptional and we loved the informality.Daily changing menus are delivered promptly from the restaurant.

We would like to thank the General Manager Dhiren Pereira for requesting sunshine in his prayers for us(the weather changed drastically)and would like to assure him that we are definately going to take up his invitation for the cocktail party next time!Also thanks to Gamal who kept us fed and watered in a provisional,but also,humorous manner,Kate&Ampar in the lovely spa and Amed for keeping our room spotless and the amazing towel art(the monkey decided to come home with us).

We soon came to terms with the perfection of the place and thought it might be a good idea,although a difficult task,to find a fault.After a lengthy investigation I found that the radio on the bedsite table displayed to wrong time and date...

On a serious note,if it's peace,tranquility,good food and luxury you are looking for the Oberoi is for you.
Also worth mentioning is that all Internet throughout the premises is free and even the Ritter Sport Chocolate in the mini bar gets changed.

Thank you for making our holiday a enjoyable and memorable expirence!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of our resort. Thank you for mentioning the names of team members who provided you with moments of delight. We are pleased that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us. We look forward to many more visits from you, your family and friends. I have personally briefed the HK team to check the iPod docking stations consistently for time and date. Thank you for the feedback.
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is possibly the best hotel I've ever stayed in - possibly because I love the privacy and luxury of the separate villas - ours ws right beside the beach. But also because of the food - the dining room, and even the pool restaurant, serve up the most delicious fare I've ever had in a hotel, or even in a restaurant. T he hotel is located at the end of 'the strip', so it's far from the somewhat scruffy shopping district - expect to pay about £10 to be ferried by Mercedes to and from the shops. The staff are friendly obliging and cheerful, buzzing about in golf carts to bring you to breakfast, dinner or wherever you please. The 'Leisure' breakfast is sumptuous, but leave enough room for a tasty snack lunch at the pool-side restaurant. And then, of course, dinner...
Oberoi is an Indian-owned chain, so the Indian food is wonderful, but my wife isn't a fan of Indian fare, and she loved the other offerings on the menu.
This is a hotel you go to for the hotel experience - there's not much to see in Hurghada. We enjoyed the spectacular view of the coral reef on the semi-submarine trip, but if you are into snorkeling, you could see the wonders of the reef without leaving the hotel.

All in all, a hotel I'd love to go back to - and that's unusual for me!

Room Tip: Ask for a room beside the beach (probably a 'superior' room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_SahlHasheesh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you have carried back fond memories. Thank you for your feedback on our food, service and the hotel in general. We eagerly look forward to your next stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance whatsoever when you decide to return.
Email: Dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a 5 day break in a beautiful spot. Although Hurghada is not an attractive place, the resort gives the guests the impression of being in an island far away from the crowd. The hotel design integrates very well with the desert and construction details witness of one of the best hotel chain. The service was excellent with all personnel caring for us; food was above average and quality consistent; dive site is in front of the beach, a kind of private garden. We look forward to finding another opportunity to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMtosh, General Manager at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. The team and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you for taking the time to review our resort and are pleased to hear that you will return again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you plan your next vacation and it will be my pleasure to be of assistance. Thank you once again.
Email: dhiren.pereira@oberoihotels.com

Been to The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh? Share your experiences!