“Nice Hotel and great fun” 5 of 5 stars

Tropitel Sahl Hasheesh
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box Block 33 B | Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #9 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
Hamburg, Germany
“Nice Hotel and great fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Its a very nice hotel and I spend two very relaxing weeks in Egypt.
The hotel is very clean and every single person gives his best to make this holiday the best you ever had. The waiters are friendly and caring. The food is delicious and everybody can find something. The Animation team around Salah do their best to enjoy the people. Its always fun to take part in games. The shows in the evening are great.
To sum up I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel and I´m sure that I will come back again.
See you soon !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dolny Kubin, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

i have to say that these holidays were perfect, at first, because of animators and other workers. i have never met before better people. they are funny, smiling, they helped us with everything, they were still with us and making for us programme. thanks to Yana and Salah, the best animators, im afraid now that i will never enjoy another holidays as much as i enjoyed these with them.. and of course hotel is perfect too but you know, everything is about people :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We've just returned from an awesome weeks stay at the Tropitel, overall really pleased we booked to stay there.

The hotel is around 20 minutes from the airport & we were really impressed with the location, it is not in the centre of Hurghada which is nice. The hotel itself is built in a new area where only a few other hotels actually currently stand, although there are others being built. The security seems really on the ball, not only is there one on the entrance of every hotel, but there was also one when entering the newly built area where the Tropitel was located. The security guards check the driving licences of the drivers, look in the boot of the vehicle & underneath with mirrors & in some instances check with the hotel reception, we felt really safe even when leaving the hotel itself.

The room we stayed in was amazing, I could not have been happier with the location which looked out onto the pool. Everything was spotless, & the room was extremely spacious. The balcony was huge & the bathroom was a very good size.

Sadly, we weren't overly impressed with the buffet food, it was edible & there was a large variety to choose from which was nice but, we were under the impression when booking the holiday, that we would be able to use the A La Carte restaurants as often as we wanted, which wasn't the case. You receive one voucher for the Italian and one voucher for the Mexican per week that you stay there. – I think this is more down to Thomas Cook maybe misinforming us than the hotel itself.

The food served at both of the a la carte restaurants was delicious & you were able to eat at the Italian every lunch time which I would highly recommend taking advantage of. The battered ice cream at the Mexican is to die for!

The drinks aren't brilliant, I don’t think they understand how much alcohol needs to be put into a cocktail, on a few occasions I was sure my drink was 90% spirit & 10% mixer. I ended up telling them “just a little bit”, this seemed to work.

The pools are lovely, they were always constantly being cleaned by the staff meaning there were no leaves, bugs etc floating about. There is a "hidden pool" to the left side of the hotel which the spa looks onto & although this was not as big or deep it was nice to retreat to as we did on the last day because of the new arrivals...

I would not recommend going to the shops within the hotel, it’s literally daylight robbery with the prices they attempt to charge you, the “tourists prices” are around 10x more than what they charge the Egyptian customers.

My boyfriend had a tooth infection so we went to the pharmacy, its safe to say after being told the antibiotics would cost 500 Egyptian Pounds (roughly £50) we declined. They also wanted 100 LE (£10) for mouthwash and 270 LE (£27) for Strepsils.. We eventually got a lovely Egyptian man to go into the exact same shop & get the mouthwash, he was amazingly only charged 10LE (£1)!

The antibiotics we got elsewhere in the end & only paid around £2.30 which just seems ludicrous. – These were also purchased by an Egyptian.

The people in the shops hassle you far too much to the point, that you avoid going to the shops all together. We ended up sitting the perfume shop for 20 mins having crap smeared all over our arms despite telling them that we didn't wish to buy anything, they are so persistent to the point you struggle to get away or consider buying just to leave the shop.

The beach is lovely, there are quite a few loungers with wooden wind breaker things around them although it doesn't help from being sand blasted on the really windy days it gives you a little privacy & your own space. The pier is literally never ending & is great for snorkelling off of it. – Again the shops are over priced for the quality of the masks they offer so I would advise getting one from Amazon or Ebay or somewhere beforehand.

On the third day, there was an accident whereby a member of staff was playing around with one of the massive bamboo parasols (actually waving it in the air, whilst it was opened up) & due to it being ridiculously windy, the parasol was snatched out of his hands, blew off into the sea, & hit this poor girl in the head. She was dragged out of the water & her head was gushing with blood. Sadly, there was no urgency from the member of staff with regards to calling a doctor; he seemed to just cower, wrapped in his towel later offering a spray for grazes?! We told him to phone a doctor to which another member of staff turned up 5 minutes or so later offering to carry her in his arms back to the beach, we obviously said that was not going to happen as she has a head injury that needed urgent medical attention. She was carried on a sun bed back to shore by the two members of staff & around another 5 minutes later a doctor finally appeared. She was extremely lucky that her injuries weren't more serious. I do think that the lack of urgency dealing with this was bad & it could have ended differently had the injuries have been more serious.

I personally would not recommend the Spa, we bought a package consisting of a body scrub, two massages each, plus use of the steam room & jacuzzi. The body scrub was nice which was then followed by the steam room which was rubbish. The marble slab seat in the steam room was like sheered of so the edges felt rough & sharp, the steam itself was cold. The massages were terrible, probably the worst I had ever experienced. At numerous occasions, I thought the masseuse was going to dislocate my shoulders!! + none of the knots got worked on & my back actually felt worse after the massage.

The second massage was booked for the end of the holiday, & my boyfriend practically became a human climbing frame, the plump masseuse crawled over his back with her knees, then stood up & walked back down this back with her feet. At one point she actually winded him by jabbing him in the ribs… & we both had the near dislocating shoulder techniques applied again despite both asking for “SOFT” massages.

We thought that the evening entertainment was brilliant, every night there was something different. One night they had Kenyan acrobats who were absolutely amazing, definitely worth going to see. They also have music on beforehand for the kids & some music after the show, but this ends around half an hour of the show finishes.

During the day the Animation Team go round trying to get people involved in volley ball, water polo, water aerobics, & other activities. They also go clubbing in Hurghada, although we didn't do this it did sound pretty fun. We particularly favoured July from the Animation Team, she was lovely, extremely enthusiastic, bubbly & most helpful.

We spoke to the person that’s responsible for the diving centre within the hotel, just for information about where the best place is to snorkel from the pier & the young man told us that under no circumstance should we go snorkelling off of the pier as there are sharks in that particular part. He then shared an experience of his own whereby he apparently saw a shark, then mentioned about the person being killed by one in Sharm, this then transpired into him trying to sell us a snorkelling trip from some island.. As you can imagine, I wasn't particularly impressed. This then led to him trying to sell me a PADI scuba diving course, I told him that I already had it booked elsewhere & therefore was not interested, I was only enquiring about the snorkelling spots from the pier..

The next day whilst sun bathing by the pool, he approached us & asked whether I was going to book my PADI with him, I explained again that I had already booked this elsewhere & therefore was not interested & that I was only enquiring about the snorkelling spots from the pier. Next followed “Do you have a problem with me, do you not like me?”, as you can imagine I was shocked, I repeated that I had already booked it elsewhere to which he then offered me the PADI upgrade I was doing for a cheaper price & was stunned when I declined. Yet again I said that I had only wanted info regarding snorkelling from the pier to which he rolled his eyes, shook his head, muttered something under his breath, & stormed off. On both occasions, he was unprofessional but this time also RUDE. – I was pissed off to say the least. The centre itself was not open at any point of the holiday when

we walked passed (I wonder why) & there is no way on earth that I would have finished my PADI from this diving centre, especially as the “seller” knew nothing whatsoever about snorkelling or diving! – Proved by the story he fed us to do with the sharks… scare-tactics for getting us to go on a snorkelling trip that he gets commission on!

On our last night we had a BBQ on the beach with a couple that we met out there, we organised this with Sam who works at the beach bar (I think that was this name), anyway he was an absolute gem & asset to the hotel, he couldn't do enough for us. I didn't see this advertised anywhere but it really was a lovely finish to the holiday. They set a table up with seats, candles etc on the beach & then Sam cooked our food for us on the BBQ & dished it up. It was 300 LE per couple & the food was absolutely amazing, there was so much food that I don’t think we even ate half of it, highly recommendable.

On the second from last day of our stay, over 250 Egyptians & there families turned up for a business conference, which lasted 2-3 days & the whole atmosphere at the hotel changed. The hotel had 100% occupancy meaning it was chocker block. When walking around the hotel, all you could hear was crying children with parents screaming at them, the pool was the same with people actually going in, with trousers & shoes on with drink, suntan lotion, dirt & god knows whatever else on them. The peacefulness of sun bathing was interrupted again by screaming parents & crying children & the dirty looks you received for being in swimwear or having tattoos etc. from everyone was extremely uncomfortable. Generally walking round the hotel was to an extent intimidating because of the way people looked at you.

At mealtimes, people would stack their plates to the point that when they walked, food would fall off. At the omelette station in the morning, there were 6 people waiting & an Egyptian guest walked straight up to the front expecting to be served. It was similar at the bar even whilst being served if an Egyptian guest was waiting, the bar tender would actually stop pouring our drinks to serve them! The normal holiday makers really became second best. Even the music around the pool during the day & in the evening before & after the show was Arabic music, only to accommodate for the Egyptian guests. We were delighted to find out that another 200 would be arriving the next day, luckily for us it was our last day so we spent it by the little pool near the spa that none of them knew about.

The hotel really struggled with 100% capacity. At present only half of the hotel is actually complete & open, & although the hotel is really nice, I don’t understand how they think that they are going to be able to cope with double the people, as there was no room whatsoever by the pool, on the beach & the restaurant turned into a battlefield.

We were told by the Thomas Cook rep that you could pay $20 for a late check out or ask reception for a room for 45 minutes so that you could shower etc. We went to do the late check out because of our flight time, but due to the hotel being over booked this suddenly wasn't possible & we couldn't have a room to shower in either. We ended up having to shower & change in the spa facilities which is basically a tiny locker room with people coming in & out.

The service was average I would say, there were some people that were genuine & just wanted to help & there were others whose helpfulness was just too much to the extent of taking your food plate out of your hands to carry it to where you are sitting etc. & you could be sure this was only for a tip & got somewhat annoying at times. Sam who worked at the beach bar & Ali the Bell Boy were very helpful. Ali really helped us with a few issues we had with an excursion & went out of his way to find us somewhere to shower before our flight left that evening.

Having said all this, we do still think it was a lovely hotel & we thoroughly enjoyed our stay & we would both highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Oss, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

a had a super holyday but special from animation and salah is the king thanks a lot !!!! we had a great time there and i know salah from stella and every time i see him he becomes better and teh hotel is SUPER!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melksham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have just returned from 10 days stay at this hotel where we have been 5 times previously.
As usual we have had a great time. The staff are friendly and attentive. The food is excellent. Rooms are clean and spacious.
Special mentions to:
Sayeed and the team in the lobby bar who looked after us every evening and made us laugh!!
Fekhiry in the main restaurant who as always was very attentive.
Ibrahim in the pool bar who is very professional.
Ali the bell man who went above and beyond making sure that we were able to have a shower on our last day even though we could not have a late check out from our room. He is great!!!
And the head gardener who brought me flowers every day and has ensured that the tree given to us on our third visit is growing well.
It was my Birthday during our stay and the staff made sure that I had a cake and I was even serenaded by a violinist in the lobby bar.
Thanks to all for making another holiday special. I am sure we will see you all again soon.
This hotel is great value for money.

Room Tip: Club rooms are more spacious.