“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sphinx Resort

You added Sphinx Resort to your Saves list
Sphinx Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arabia Road | Al Wafaa District, Hurghada 67, Egypt   |
Ranked #144 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
Kortrijk
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

A couple of weeks ago we stayed for the second time in Sphinx Resort.
Last year was unbelievable: because of the trouble in Cario, people were afraid to go to Egypt, resulting in only 25 guests at the hotel. So there was more staff then guests and we were treated as kings.
So this year I had my expectations a bit lower, but again we had a wonderfull time.
Of course you can't compare a five star hotel in Egypt with a five star hotel in Paris, but we had everything we could wish for.
We booked a family room and that was huge. Two balconies (not all family rooms have two, but sometimes you can have all the luck), two large rooms (tv in every room although we didn't have any time to watch tv) and a nice bathroom.

The cleaning staff was very friendly (a little tip can do wonders in Egypt :-) and every day we had another suprise on the fresh bed: these guys are incredibly creative with a towel...

As for the food: I didn't always like everything on the buffet, but every day there were several things I did like a lot. A different theme (italian, french, russian,...) was chosen every day, so you couldn't get bored with the same food. And even if that would happen, there were several restaurants in the hotel.

Animation was great all day long without being disturbing if you didn't feel like joining in and the reception staff and bar keepers did a perfect job.

Oh, and get a massage! (we had three each)

If you want some negatives:
- Egyption liquor tastes foul. You can get European, but this is not included in the all inclusive. My tip: go to the duty free shop on the first day, get some bottles of scotch and vodka and mix your own drinks. Beer is better, but is served in little plastic cups. Since we had two little children to entertain constantly, I didn't care to much about the alcohol, but if this is important to you, adapt you expectations. This is not specific for this hotel: all hotels serve Egyptian liquor.
- Although the sun was present everyday, a cold wind avoided us from staying in the water (pools or sea) to long. You can hardly blame the hotel staff for this wind, but a heated pool would be a very good addition to this hotel.

So my conclusion: I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Helsingborg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Nice all inclusive. Food was very good and the service was ok, not the best, but ok.The alcoholic drinks are local, beer and wine were good. The internet acces is free in the loby.
The hotel has nice green area though not very large. There are 2 swimming pools, clean private beach. Day and evening activities organized sports, entertainments, etc.
One day we took windsurfing lessons as a group, it was fun and cheep as a group.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We had 10 days in February at Sphinx resort and plan to go back again in November.
There weren't many English people, and we were treated like royalty by all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble.

The food in the Main Restaurant was really good, with plenty of choice. However there were also other, bookable (free) restaurants and we tried two of them. They were great too, especially the sea food restaurant.

Our room was lovely, a suite, consiting of two rooms, a bathroom and a balcony. the room was clean and have everything we could possibly have needed,
There seemed to be a lot or entertainment every night and throughout the day - we didn't use it, just because we wanted to relax, read and do absolutely nothing. The pools were good.

All in all, a fantastic stay, staff were brilliant - nothing was too much trouble, and we plan to go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Once me and my boyfriend had booked to stay at Sphinx resort, we were beginning to have second thoughts after reading some of the reviews on here. If anyone else is feeling the same way, don't worry yourselves, this hotel is perfect.
The holiday didn't start off too well due to the unorganised manner of Hurghada Airport.
After paying our £13 for the Visas we joined a massive queu of people waiting to go through passport control, when I say a queu, I'm talking a massive huddle of people, we just had to stand patiently, it all payed off in the end once we arrived at the hotel. The transfer from the airport is only 15-20 minutes.
When we arrived we were offered drinks and then shortly after we were escorted to our room by one of the bell boys. We arrived at the hotel around 11pm and the hotel had kindly put on a late dinner service for us in the main buffet restaurant.
Me and my boyfriend spent our days by the activity pool, this is were you'll find all the animation team working. They have a Morning Gym class , then Aqua Aerobics followed by a pool game, which involves a surf board the majoirty of the time, but i'll leave that to your imagination! In the afternoon they have water polo and also step aerobics. There are 2 other pools, one of which is adult only.
I was worried about the food and drink as it was our first time all inclusive. Theres a wide variety of cereals, pastries and fruit at breakfast, and theres a lady that makes fresh pancakes and a man who can make you omlettes, fried eggs or scrambled eggs. For lunch, me and my boyfriend went to the pool bar for pizzas which are made fresh, or down to the beach bar were they have a different sandwich each day with chips. You can also use the main buffet restaurant for lunch.
The buffet restaurant also has a wide range of foods of an evening which vary depending on the theme for that night.
Of a night time, there is a show on at the Ampitheatre at 9:30pm which is arranged by the animation team, they put on some pretty good shows.
We went on the Island boat trip, it was a great day! We went snorkling and then visited the Island, this was a white sand beach with clear blue sea it was gorgeous!
The hotel as a whole was spotless and all the staff were very friendly.
The animation team are all lovely people, especially Wael!
Theres a professional photography company on site, if you're wanting pictures done, make sure you go and see Moody!! We got pictures done and they are lovely!
Don't hesitate when booking this hotel it's everything you could ever need for a holiday.
Me and my boyfriend will deffinatly be returning in the very near future.
If anyone has an questions or queries, I'd be more than happy to help.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I am Svetlana from Moscow i was in Hurghada 17 days ago , it was my first visit to Egypt , really i interested too much in my accommodation at Sphinx Resort , it was nice & calm resort located in very good area , very comfortable , nice decorated , i like hotel view & beach .
Reception is very attractive i like it too much , i think when i will intend to visit Hurghada again i will reserve the same resort Sphinx as really i was enjoyed my accommodation there too much .
Thanks .

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Hi!!! I’m from Holland. Just now I’m at the hotel, I wrote from Lobby here is free Wi-Fi. We arrived at Sphinx some days ago and we did not regret about our choice. Honestly I even did not expect that this hotel has enough high level with perfect service. The territory of the hotel is rather small but very compact and cozy. For me it is very nice because I’m here with children and for me very comfortable to have restaurant and beach not so far. But who prefers to visit hotels with large territory Sphinx is not your hotel. Also at the hotel there is cool animation team and specially Kid’s animator. She is Russian girl but she takes care about children so much as if all of them her own children and they like her so much. My kids found Kid’s disco very funny and interesting for them. As for food we like so much pizza, they cook it every day and it is really something nice. Yesterday there was sea food pizza!!!! And what my kids like here so much it’s free ice-cream. Pizza is free too!!!!
Sea is very wonderful with coral reef on the beach, my husband every day enjoys with snorkeling. In general about food I can say something only positive, rather big choice of meat and fish dishes, vegetables and fruits. As for us we like to visit different countries and different hotels but to tell the truth I think we will come back here again. We are in Egypt the first time and we like Egypt with its kind and friendly people!!!!

Room Tip: Be polie!!!!