A couple of weeks ago we stayed for the second time in Sphinx Resort.
Last year was unbelievable: because of the trouble in Cario, people were afraid to go to Egypt, resulting in only 25 guests at the hotel. So there was more staff then guests and we were treated as kings.
So this year I had my expectations a bit lower, but again we had a wonderfull time.
Of course you can't compare a five star hotel in Egypt with a five star hotel in Paris, but we had everything we could wish for.
We booked a family room and that was huge. Two balconies (not all family rooms have two, but sometimes you can have all the luck), two large rooms (tv in every room although we didn't have any time to watch tv) and a nice bathroom.
The cleaning staff was very friendly (a little tip can do wonders in Egypt :-) and every day we had another suprise on the fresh bed: these guys are incredibly creative with a towel...
As for the food: I didn't always like everything on the buffet, but every day there were several things I did like a lot. A different theme (italian, french, russian,...) was chosen every day, so you couldn't get bored with the same food. And even if that would happen, there were several restaurants in the hotel.
Animation was great all day long without being disturbing if you didn't feel like joining in and the reception staff and bar keepers did a perfect job.
Oh, and get a massage! (we had three each)
If you want some negatives:
- Egyption liquor tastes foul. You can get European, but this is not included in the all inclusive. My tip: go to the duty free shop on the first day, get some bottles of scotch and vodka and mix your own drinks. Beer is better, but is served in little plastic cups. Since we had two little children to entertain constantly, I didn't care to much about the alcohol, but if this is important to you, adapt you expectations. This is not specific for this hotel: all hotels serve Egyptian liquor.
- Although the sun was present everyday, a cold wind avoided us from staying in the water (pools or sea) to long. You can hardly blame the hotel staff for this wind, but a heated pool would be a very good addition to this hotel.
So my conclusion: I would recommend this hotel to everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 5 minute drive from Sakkala, Sphinx Resort overlooks its own sandy beach and offers premium Red Sea dive sites. It has 3 restaurants, spa and 3 swimming pools.The elegantly furnished rooms all include balconies with views of the grounds, the lagoon pool or the sea. Each is air conditioned and comes with a marble bathroom, mini bar and free Wi-Fi.Guests can enjoy a panoramic view of the Red Sea while sipping their favourite cocktail at the Sunset Bar. For water pipes and evening entertainment, there is an atmospheric cafe.Located on the roof, Sphinx Resort Hurghada has a sea-view spa with a sauna and Jacuzzi. The international entertainment team will make your stay more enjoyable.Sphinx Hurghada Resort is located 5 miles from Hurghada Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sphinx Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sphinx Hotel Hurghada