We've been to Egypt many times but unfortunately we did not have a positive experience at this hotel. Summary of our main issues:
- When we arrived we had to wait for about half an hour before being allowed to go to our room. After a very long wait for transfer (not the hotel's fault) we really just wanted to collapse. The lack of customer service didn't get things off to the best start.
- When we did get to our room it was lovely. However, unfortunately the shower came off the wall in my hand. It was very obviously broken. I don't know of any other hotels claiming to be 5* that would put their gets in obviously faulty rooms. There was an overhead shower as well but it seemed old and blocked so we just got a very weak trickle of water. We repeatedly asked for it to be fixed but were treated like an annoyance by reception. They kept promising to get it sorted but didn't. To be fair they did eventually say we could change rooms but it seemed such a waste of our holiday time to pack everything back up and spend time moving when they have maintenance staff on site. Something that should have been straightforward was just made difficult and annoying, which seemed to be a theme for this hotel.
- The hotel is quite small so it only had one main restaurant which we had to use for breakfast, lunch and dinner. After a few days this becomes very repetitive. They seem to only play the same two CD’s over and over again which didn’t help matters. The service was awful unfortunately. Most people seemed very unhappy and tired after having to work for long periods. Trying to get a drink was near impossible. You could easily be half way through a meal before you got one. When the drinks did arrive they were often warm and the beer was usually flat. However, the most annoying thing was whilst you were desperately trying to get a drink your plates would be whipped away from you before you’d finished chewing. Removing plates common in Egypt in my experience but I’ve never known it quite so bad anywhere else. I wouldn’t have minded so much if one of the waiters had given us the drinks we had ordered before this happened! We also experienced problems getting a table at the main restaurant on a couple of occasions and were told to wait (in not a particularly nice manner). Again not a great experience. The food generally wasn’t brilliant, quite repetitive, and luke warm at times.
- Probably the most annoying thing about the hotel is that rather than use the wristband system which most all inclusive hotels use, the Premier Romance insist that you sign for every drink you have. This includes water. Whether you be at the restaurant, at the (tiny) pool or at the beach you have to sign. When you’ve paid for all inclusive you have effectively paid for all your drinks in advance. Therefore, I do not understand why you have to be bothered with signing lots of bits of paper every day when you’re trying to relax. Because of the slow water service it also meant that you’re waiting around to sign for a drink you’ve already paid for. For example, you could be at the beach and wait for an hour to be asked whether you want a drink. From there it could take you 30 mins for them to bring it (one day I waited 50 mins for a coke!). Then say you wanted to leave the beach, you might have to queue at the drinks hut and wait for them to find your bit of paper for 10 mins. Not very relaxing!
- Service at the beach was generally poor. I often had to get up and go find someone to ask for a drink of water. Unfortunately there were not enough sun loungers and umbrella’s either. Most days we have to use the cheap plastic sunbeds and three days out of seven we didn’t have an umbrella so I had to go inside out of the sun. The beach is also very cramped so you’re very close to your neighbour. A lot of people seemed to smoke which you can unfortunately be right next to as there is so little space.
- We were told when booking that we could visit three of the on site restaurants. However, the Indian restaurant was closed when we got there. We assume we would therefore be allowed to eat in one of the other restaurants twice. But no, this was not allowed. We asked to be able to pay extra to go to the Italian twice, however, that wasn't allowed either. The hotel was very rigid and inflexible for reasons I couldn’t fathom as we wanted to give them money.
- Generally the information around the hotel was very poor. We found it difficult to work out what the all inclusive package was and were the pool was for example. We also couldn’t get towels when we found the pool. As fair as we were aware there were no snacks available on the all inclusive package whatsoever. Nothing in any of the bars and the ice cream area was closed.
- On our first full day at the hotel we asked whether we could book a late checkout on our day of departure as we had a flight in the evening. This was clearly advertised at reception for a fee. We were told that we had to wait until the day before we were departing to book this. We went back on the morning of the day before we were due to leave and were told that this wasn’t possible as all the rooms were booked. We were told that the room we were in needed to be cleaned for the next arrival. We knew that the new arrivals didn’t come until the evening as we had the previous week. Which meant that the hotel had six and a half hours to clean the room. We had to argue the logic with them and ask that they make an exception for this rule given our generally poor experience and eventually they did and we paid the fee. So again, something that should have been straightforward and easy was made difficult and stressful.
I would never go back to this hotel or to any hotel with the same management. The hotel were aware of many of our issues and were given many opportunities to put things right and yet they never did. We are returning to Egypt this year as we do every year but I would encourage anyone considering this hotel to book somewhere else instead. There are much better experiences to be had.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia and Otel so you can book your Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Romance Boutique Hotel Hurghada