“EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jaz Aquamarine Resort

You added Jaz Aquamarine Resort to your Saves list
Jaz Aquamarine Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Sahl Hashish Road | Magawish District, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #32 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
Norwich, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have very recently just returned from a week at Iberotel Aquamarine with my partner.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It is true what many people say, the hotel is immaculate. There were staff constantly cleaning, even at nearly 1am in the morning the pool staff were still scrubbing!

The hotel is huge but you soon find your way around. It makes it very peaceful and its never overcrowded even though when we arrived we were told there were over 3000 people there., it never felt like it.

I really cannot understand people who moan about the main Topaz Restaurant. We ate there every night and yes at main peak dinner times it can get a little busy but there are never any huge queues and there are always tables available. There is also a adult only area in the restaurant which is more peaceful. The food itself was fine. Okay there may not have always been a huge choice but it was always well cooked and tasty. I have stayed at many all inclusive hotels before and I really liked that they kept all of the hot food in large silver trays which always had a cover over them. This kept the food very fresh and no sign of flies or anything.

All inclusive drinks were fine. My partner stuck to the Beer which was of local brand but he had no problems with it at all. I varied between the cocktails and rose wine, all which were very nice for local tipples! The bar staff are great, they will always find you a table if it is busy on the upstairs outdoor bar. A special mention to Moeman, who looked after us every night. He would always remember our drinks orders and as soon as we had finished a drink, he would be there with another one for us.

People moaning about how cold the swimming pools are?? We went in all of the main big pools and I don't think they were heated but they were absolutely fine. I have stayed at other hotels before where you can't even get in the pool because its so cold! The pools here are also the most cleanest I have ever swam in!

Whilst away we did have one problem which was that my partners suitcase did not arrive until 3 days into our holiday. This was not Thomson or the hotels fault at all, but another special mention to Mohammed, Holly & Vicky who were our Thomson Reps. I honestly have never meet 3 people who are so willing to do everything they possibly can to help. They really deserve a massive thank you.

We would definitely return to this hotel again if visiting Egypt, and we wouldn't even bother looking at any other hotels we would come straight back to the Iberotel Aquamarine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We travelled as a family of 4 (kids 12 & 15) to the Iberotel from 8-19 July. Arrival at the airport was very smooth and quick and transfer about half an hour. We were welcomed with cold towels and a drink and given a map to find our room.

We booked a swim up room (no. 3006) which was fantastic as our pool had sun from morning until night, and you could get out the sun for a while and watch movies in your room as fox movie channel was also good. Would be brilliant for families with young kids.

The resort is always clean and they work very hard and are very friendly.

We had a lot of tiny ants in our room so you could never leave anything open, I left a bag of nuts in the drawer and they infested the drawer but they don't bite and were only after the food. Had to empty them out the kettle every morning too, but it was no big deal and would have been hard to stop.

The beach is awful which was a big disappointment. There was a constant heavy wind which meant lilos etc were blown everywhere, don't know if this is their windy season or is it always like that, some days were worse than others.

Entertainment was not enough for young teenagers as they soon get bored of the few slides and it was mainly adults that joined in water polo etc.

The food was a good selection but evening buffets were not very good and always luke warm - none of us are fussy eaters. The a-la-cartes were really good, especially the Lebanese and Italian, we felt very rushed in the Asian although we were only there an hour, and they wouldn't serve the banana dessert as it took 10 minutes to make. The seafood restaurant was just ok, but service very good. We were unable to book more than 4 a-la-cartes as it always said unavailable but noticed other people were still finding availability on the computer screen after we were told there was none.

Would not recommend going outside the hotel as it is a tip, and shops are full of tat. It's just rubble everywhere but the locals did not pester you as they do in sharm.

Went on Thomsons Maymaya island excursion and really enjoyed it, snorkelling was not as good as in sharm though. Also booked golf with 2 buggys,(about half hour away) which was great fun, but very expensive and they were not very friendly.

Check out was awful, we were told there was no availability for a late check out but if we came to reception at 5pm we would have shower facilities before our bus arrived at 6.25pm. We went at 4.30 and were told nothing available yet, despite being up and down asking we were not given a key to a room until 6pm by which time our bus was due to arrive. We all had to change out our swim wear in the toilet in reception unable to shower after a full day in the sun and pools, I was very angry and left the hotel knowing I would never return.

We all had upset stomachs, which lasted about 1-2 days each, although I was still ill after 4 days.

Return at airport was diabolical, no air conditioning and having to stand in queues for 1.5 hours, people looked as if they would pass out due to the heat.

I would never return to hurghada as there is nothing outwith the hotel, and sharm at least has a little more character and life to it. This is now our 3rd visit to egypt, previously done luxor nile cruise, and sharm for 2 weeks, I would never return to egypt in the summer as there are so many nicer places to go that get lovely summer sun. I would only recommend this hotel out of season, if all you want is a bit of sun and nothing else.

• Stayed July 2013
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very clean hotel, staff cannot do enough for you. However for us the resort was too big, over 3000 people. Approx 70% international therefore the food was mainly international cuisine - but still able to find something nice eat every meal. Didn't like fact you had to get up early to put out your towels to reserve sunbed as that's one of the reasons I booked 5* to avoid this. But overall we archived our aim which was to relaxed, sunbathe and swim.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Got back on Saturday 20th July after a 2 week stay. When we first arrived we was like WOW the hotel was impressive and felt really looked after by the staff we arrived around 11pm so got led straight to our room. First impression of the room was great although after 15 mins or so we noticed we had ants on the floor ( not just normal British size but BIG RED ONES) I rang reception and after half an hour someone arrived with ant spray so I assume it's common, anyway this man was an idiot spraying ant spray round pictures frames on the curtains drawing love hearts on the walls REALLY!!. So when he left I asked to keep the spray so I could spray round skirting boards etc. It didn't stop there we couldn't sit on our balcony as there were ants crawling up the walls and on the chairs! On a plus the pools were amazing we sat round number 13 I think which had the sun loungers In the water which was a lovely touch. Drinks were abit of a pain water was rarely cold, fizzy drinks were often flat and they gave you such small cups so by the time u walked back to your seat u needed another! Although drinks seemed better in the main
restaurant. Breakfast was great so much to choose from wish they served it all day! Lunch was similar to dinner very repetitive and the quality was just awful the bread was often hard like a rock constant que for chips and the pasta is an insult to the Italians deffently not 5 star!! One night we had no food due to a power cut with no back up of cooking food which is just not acceptable!! They shouldn't have such a big hotel as they obviously carnt cope. There's hardly no waiter service it's pretty much do it yourself which again isn't 5 star!! We went to the Italian service was great but the pizza was deffently a local supermarket job but wasn't chips and bread so it made a change. We both got slight tummy upset but went to the pharmacy outside the hotel at first signs of it only costs £13 which I thought would be alot cheaper than the on sight doctor. Massive down side was the late check out that we needed but we got told to wait til the day before we're due to go home so turned up at 8am and got told to go at 7/8pm instead didn't see what difference that made but anyway we went back later and got told we couldn't have one and would have to be out our room at 12 even though our coach wasn't til 6 25pm!!! After kicking up a fuss we managed to get a late check out but this was only til 3pm!! For 25 euros I would of happily paid more to have a room longer as we then couldn't make the most of our last day but wasn't an option. Won't go back to Egypt simply don't like the Arabs they seem to have this joke towards the English which I couldn't see myself I just thought they were rude!!

• Stayed July 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

From the minute we arrived at the hotel the staff couldn't do enough for you, there was a very personal service from the staff, even though the hotel is so big they have managed to get the personal touches just right to make you feel valued as a guest.

Our family room was really well laid out with seperate room for our son and a huge super king size bed for us, our room was kept very clean and the level of attention from or cleaner was fantastic, I was told anything I needed just ask, he decorated the room with towel art everyday and went to town on the day of my wifes birthday decorating the whole room with petals and a big bithday cake and candles made of towels (he even brought a small personalised gift for my wife which was very nice)

The hotel with it's vast pools although busy doesn't feel over crouded there is a good level of sun loungers though as with everywhere you do need to get up early if you want to make sure you get a good spot. there are bars all around the pools with drinks and snacks.

The 2 main restaurants are clean and have a wide choice of food all of good quality, there is fresh food being put out constantly as well as cooked in front of you stations at each meal time, the 4 pre booked options were also very good and if you travel with thomson you are now up-grade to unlimited visits to these (apart from the italian which is one only)

There is lots of talk of people getting ill from the food but our view was it was the amount of food people ate that would cause this and not the quality which was always good.

when you go out of the hotel there are lots of street sellers and shops without fixed price, these can be annoying as they don't want to give up and hassle you alot. The Hello Centre was a short walk to the left as you leave and the staff were very helpful and it was fixed price. There was a chap walking up and down outside trying to sell parchement paper who seemed to brush up against you a little too much so keep a check on valuables (though he may have just been trying to "cop a feel")

Be careful not to get caught out when you arrive at the airport by the taxi drivers outside that use travel company names asking if you are with thomson (for example) to try and take your bags and you in their taxi's if you have booked transfers they should be by couch or have the company logo on shirts and they would be looking for you by name.

We found many places (including the hotel) would happily accept Euro's and some seemed to prefer it. The airport at Hurghada had most things price in US dolars which seemed strange to us.

In all a great hotel with great staff and really good level of service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked quite late as saw a good deal and were not expecting perfection as we have been to Egypt before and this really was a bargain.

Could not have been more wrong as the place, service and standards were great and we had a great time.

Yes the beach is not the best but we knew this before we went and actually we liked the grassy areas which were close to the pools and the Beach Bar. Handy for quick drinks and decent snack lunch.

Room was a good size and very comfortable bed. Also kept very clean as was the whole Hotel.

Food was plentiful with loads of choice even at breakfast with eggs cooked freshly and a good variety of pastries,fruit, bread cheese etc. Think they had everything covered considering the broad client base they have and to produce so much variety is impressive.

Only visited the Italian and Asian speciality restaurants and were very happy with these.Recommend the 8.30 sitting for a more relaxed experience and suggest booking early as the Italian gets very busy. Initially we were unable to get a booking at the Italian but discussed this at reception and they sorted out a booking for us later in the week which was much appreciated. Having said that the booking process is very easy if you get yourself organised and if you struggle with computers the reception staff were aagin on hand and very willing to assist without making you feel a total fool!

All staff were very good and are to be commended on working so hard especially during Ramadan which must surely test their skills to the limit!

Visited the spa once and enjoyed the experience but really nothing more than you could get here in London. Did not find the sales guys overly pushy and generally a polite no thanks and a smile was enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Penge london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Was a bit concerned after some recent poor reviews but have to say we were all more than happy with this Hotel and had a great week.

Kids loved the aquapark and it was hard to drag them....and dad,...away although this gave me plenty of relaxing time while enjoying seeing them racing around...I dont like heights so I passed on the big slides and can see why they had age restrictions in place! Also rented a Beach Cabana which was well worth it as loads of shade and plump cushions.

Didnt really go to the theatre in the evening as was not really the sort of thing we liked but enjoyed a bit of music and a dance when they had singers in the bars. Finished the evening nicely after dinner especially if we had been to one of the a la cartes.

Food was generally good and we especially liked the option of being able to go to all the a la carte restaurants and be served. Pretty good choices all over and something for everyone.We avoided the main buffet as it was very busy.Had no real styomach problems but youngest was a bit queasy one day...but to be honest he had been guzzling fruit drinks and ice cream like it was going out of fashion and I think it was down to this as no one else was unwell!.

Staff were very helpful and loved playing jokes and teasing our boys which we all enjoyed.
Reception staff were really helpful and informative especially when I managed to lose my phone...luckily a staff member had handed it in and they were great in contacting me straight away as they knew I had been concerned when initially it was not in Lost Property.

Would have loved to go to Cairo but it was off the trips list due to the safety warnings. Hurghada itself felt very safe and had no concerns at all although we always kept our wits about us.

We were really sad to leave and will look at booking for next year as its all my kids (and us) can talk about!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jaz Aquamarine Resort? Share your experiences!