“Lovely hotel, nice holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jaz Aquamarine Resort

Save Saved
You added Jaz Aquamarine Resort to your Saves list
Jaz Aquamarine Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Sahl Hashish Road | Magawish District, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #33 of 180 Hotels in Hurghada
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, nice holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel during the first 2 weeks in June as a family of 6. 3 children and 3 adults.
We stayed in 2 swim up family suites which were lovely and spacious. Our rooms were cleaned everyday and our cleaner paid attention to detail with some lovely towel art. He even wrote all our names on papyrus bookmarks in Arabic for us, a nice little touch.
The hotel overall is immaculate, everywhere is very clean and all the staff work extremely hard to maintain standards throughout. The gardens are beautiful, we were amazed at how lush and green everywhere was, even with the temperatures being very high.
The restaurants are all very varied. We tried all the a la cartes but we found the Italian to be our favourite. My son had a birthday while we were there and they gave him a birthday cake and sang to him which was nice. We found the main buffet restaurant, the topaz, to be very busy, so we chose to use the four corners buffet instead which was much quieter. There was always a good selection of food on offer and a different theme every evening. I can only imagine that the people on here grumbling about the food are not willing to try new things and would prefer boring bland food. All the chefs were very keen for feedback on the food and we couldn't fault it.
The pools are plentiful and the slides are great fun for all ages. Whilst I don't believe it's anyone else's responsibility to look after my children, there were several members of staff around the pools and slides at all times and safety is clearly important. They adhere to all guidelines where the slides are concerned which is very reassuring.
We had a few issues while we were there but they were not enough for me to feel a bad review is necessary.
I agree with the comments about the power cuts, however, I would point out that this was not specific to the hotel but to the whole area of hurghada. So as inconvenient as it may be, the hotel were unable to do much about it.
The drinks are also a little bit hit and miss. Sometimes they would be lovely and cold and other times not so much. The mojitos at the main lobby bar were lovely and always ice cold.
Often during the afternoons one of the chefs would come round with fresh melon or orange, we enjoyed this, especially when it was 45 degrees!
The beach isn't that great, you can paddle out at certain times during the day and you'll see starfish, but it's not for snorkelling. The pools are much nicer. Although "Anton" the camel was rather lovely and worth a walk to the beach.
Yes there are people trying to sell excursions, but all very inoffensive and a simple no will suffice. If you come across a chap called "foxy", he's a great salesman, and a really nice man.
Certain people from other countries are a little bit rude. Again, not the hotels fault. Manners go a long way and some people really do lack them. However, we found it made great entertainment to watch ;-)
The Egyptians are a lovely nation and were always eager to please. I can only imagine the people complaining about staff being rude, we're perhaps not extending the same level of courtesy they were expecting to receive? A smile and a chat costs nothing. On occasions service was a little slower than we'd have liked. The island pool bar was often very slow and was the only place we felt let down by the staff. Sometimes they would look straight through us!!
Finally, I can't lie, we did suffer with a bit of "Pharaohs revenge". 3 of us were fine throughout and 3 not so much. We did hear that some people had been put on a drip but I did feel that was a little excessive. We managed to get by with plenty of water and rehydration sachets, we've lived to tell the tale! I've managed to stay the same weight as when I arrived, so every cloud....
I think this is quite a fair and honest review, I actually work for the tour operator so I have to be objective.
We don't tend to visit the same place twice as we like to experience different cultures, but I would have no problem recommending this property to any of my customers.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dalton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

as a family with 2 kids we enjoy 10 days , different pools for all types of people, good service and good food.We got a superior family room, it was very good and a separate bathroom, which includes a bath and walk in shower. Everything was very clean . The staff do a lot to keep the whole hotel tidy and the gardens are beautiful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Positives:
Pool - plenty and lovely although the one next to the beach was shut at 10 am for two hours on two days because someone had urinated in it ( how they knew that was beyond me)!
Room- clean and kept clean, a/c kept going off due to power cuts which in 40+ degrees heat is not good, one bottle of water is not good enough and then you get charged for everything else in the mini bar.
A la carte- Thomson customers can use them unlimited although the Italian only once, the Asian was the best and we paid for tempinyaki one night which was lovely.
Staff- always helpful and friendly.
NEGATIVES-
Buffet Resturant is like a cattle market and there is obliviously a problem with food hygiene and storage of the food, we ate here on the first night and then by day two I had Pharos Revenge and by day three my wife got the same, my wife had to go to the clinic and go on a drip due to the illness and there was a long line of people on the drips with the same illness, we had to plan our days around the lavoratory!! This spoilt our holiday and even our second week was spoilt because of the illness, we have been to eygpt before and had a 24 hour bug and this was not this.
Drinks- you order them with the staff and then wait a very long time for them to come and then they are not what you asked for and the cocktails are poor.
When you come out of the hotel be prepared to walk through a rubbish tip as the locals seem happy to just thrown the household rubbish everywhere.
Hurghada town is a dump and not like Sharm.
Water not working in the beach Resturant and toilets and when everyone is running to the toilets with the runs and then unable to wash their hands, then go to the Resturant for lunch is a recipe for disaster.
In whole not 5* more 3*, food hygiene needs improving as there is obviously something wrong with the number of people ill and all with the same illness.
I will not return to this hotel.

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of the impressive reviews and photos and yes the hotel is beautiful and the staff cannot do enough for you. This is our 2nd tome to Egypt but never experienced illness like this Anywhere !! On the first day my husband used the pool and the next day he became ill just put it down to change of food. Then a couple of days later I used the pool then became ill, however the illness continued for another 4 days so we got some medication from the chemist but this dud not work and I started to get worse. I then went to the clinic to see the doctor and saw many people on drips with the same symptoms and whilst i was being seen my husband said that shortly afterwards people were bring ordered to vacate the pool and then signs were displayed advising not to use the pool this lasted for 2 hours then the filters were all removed and examined and has the holiday continued other people were complaining of illness. My illness lasted for 7 days sickness , runs no appetite. This was investigated by our rep Mohammed but the hotel put it down to someone having a no 1 in the pool ! There were several power cuts and sometimes the water was off in the beach loos so could not wash your hands which then spreads disease. The medical report said that I had gastroenteritis and the doctor said this was down to the heat!! But it was either food poisoning or poor hygiene from the pool. It's a real shame because it really is a lovely hotel and the al a carts were good. Fortunately we were there for 2 weeks so the second week was better. Like i said reviews were excellent up until end of may but I have read reviews since coming home and it did not SUPRISE me that these reviews were people complaining of illness this telling me that this is more than a coincidence !!!

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 days over the half term break. Some good points and some bad. Grounds and pools excellent but the beach was a real let down . Got to agree with most others that,apart from breakfast, the food is pretty bland. Tried the Italian which was good. Staff on the whole pretty helpful and hard working. The staff at reception try it on a bit. My check out bill was 420 Egyptian pounds which is roughly £42 but they kept asking for £50. Gave them £45 to shut them up. The whole water issue is a big let down. Only 1 bottle a day and then having to drink cups from water fountains (a recipe for Egyptian tummy). In that type of heat you need lots of bottles of water. I complained to guest relations and got 3 bottles a day. Rooms were really nice and the chambermaids great. I liked the idea of helping yourself to drinks but the wife didn't think this was 5 star service. The last nite was horrendous when the electricity went off and no air conditioning. I know this was not the hotels fault but they continued to serve lukewarm food and for the first time ever got diarrhoea. My son had a great time, lots of facilities for kids and plenty of English about. The Germans and Russians get a bad press and I didn't find them rude or annoying.
I prefer hurghada airport to sharm. A lot quicker checkout. I won't be going back because I have been to better hotels in Egypt and will be returning the senatori in sharm. All in all an ok break but not all its hyped up to be.

• Stayed May 2013
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed with my friend in Iberotel last week and had absolutely amazing time!!! Very clean! Helpful and friendly staff! So many different swimming pools! Great option all inclusive!!! I will definitely come back there again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at the Aquamarine Resort 5th - 13th June after spending one week on Nile cruise. The hotel and complex is spotlessly clean as are the rooms. Food in the main restaurant can be a bit repetitive and we preferred the Italian, Asian and sea food restaurants which you have to pre-book in reception. Having said that no one will go hungry here, we certainly didnt. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, however not all are, the pool bar staff were not the best and without any doubt preferred the German customers and would try and ignore us British in favour of them on many occasions, this could well be because the British were in a minority there. We would definitely go back but would fly to Hurghada airport, the journey from Luxor there and then back to fly home was difficult. We were also assured by the Thomson rep Mohammad that we would be given lunch in Luxor at the Shearington hotel curtsey of Thomson only to find out this was not true, after a 6 hour journey across the desert we were simply dumped in the reception area and left to our own devices, not good service, but this is down to Thomson and not the hotel but anyone doing the Nile cruise then a week here, please be aware of this, we left the Aquamarine at 9am and our flight back to Gatwick was not until 8.50pm, a very long, hot and uncomfortable day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jaz Aquamarine Resort? Share your experiences!