“Brilliant family holiday, great find!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jaz Aquamarine Resort

Save Saved
You added Jaz Aquamarine Resort to your Saves list
Jaz Aquamarine Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Sahl Hashish Road | Gawish District, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #41 of 181 hotels in Hurghada
Hagley
“Brilliant family holiday, great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Although I have given this holiday 5/5 I would like to specify that don't mean this is a 5 star hotel. I've given it such a high rating for value for money and for the 5 top things that we like on holiday. Really good pools (heated), great facilities for kids without being over commercialised, good, plentiful food and drink, evening entertainment and great weather at a time of year when its hard to find anything without spending a fortune or having loads of jabs. The hotel staff where generally v helpful too and the setting and architecture of the hotel is lovely, very spaced out so you aren't on top of everyone else. All in all fantastic!

There are some things they could improve on if I was being picky, like the way the plates and coffee cups ran out at breakfast and mid morning or that it was tricky to get money changed but they are really tiny things in the scale of things.

The pool entertainment was fantastic I really enjoyed the Zumba and aqua aerobics - if we could have got up earlier I would have done the yoga too. The kids loved the warm river parts of the pool that they could stand up in. The waterslide bit was also fantastic but I wished that the waterslides closer to the hotel had had a warm pool, it was freezing - it would have been less of a trek but again just being picky really a lot of Egyptian hotels don't have as many warm pools as this one did. The pool was graduated too which made it ideal for the kids and it was a really nice temperature and really big. It was really great that there where facilities for my 5 (small slides) and massive 4 storey slides for my 7 year old but also if you had a baby there were 2 warm dip pools with shaded canopies that would have been great. The big slides were in actual fact quite scary for me or anyone with a fear of heights but my 7 year old loved them. It was very breezy by the beach though so quite cold whilst we were there which put me off - if it had been hotter or more sheltered would have been great though. If you were an adrenaline loving 7 yr old plus though this probably wouldn't bother you as much! The pool they emerged into was fairly warm but you couldn't stay in the lifeguard was v strict on making sure you got straight out so you didn't get in the way of people coming down - some adults came down at a helluva rate, looked like they were going to fly out! The swirly slide was good though it was hard work getting the big rubber rings up the four flights of steps, still good to keep you fit!

There were a very cosmopolitan feel to the hotel lots of Germans, some French and Italian, not that many Brits. There was never a fight for a sunbed because a. there were loads and b. if you couldn't find one the pool staff were always amazingly helpful and would get you one. There were also lots of nice shady bits, ping pong tables by the pool areas and lots of cafe areas near the hotel if you wanted to sit in the shade and have a drink.

Also the kids loved the ice lollies which were like mini choc ices on sticks, a fab idea and available from about 11am.

The food was a bit mixed I would say - sometimes the fish and chips in the basket was lovely other times it was slightly undercooked. The chicken dishes had quite a bit of skin and bone in them so I just learnt to go for the fish more often or beef which were really good generally.

Breakfast had lots of choice but you had to queue for omelettes and things and my main criticism was that they kept moving the bread rolls around/the butter/the sauces/ lemon wedges etc so if it could take you ages to find the stuff you liked. But its not like anyone would ever starve there were always loads of croissants and nice bread rolls or pre-cooked scrambled egg with vegetabes in and cereals etc.

The kids mini disco would have been good when the kids were younger - great location - semi inside and near the bar so adults could go and get the yummy mojitos! The bar man is amazing I have never seen anyone make 20 cocktails before in less than a minute!! London bar staff take note :) A few small tips go a long way we found. The staff we encountered are very honest, one found my husbands rucksack with an iphone in and the kids toys and returned it the next day. I can't remember his name but the very tall bar guy even stayed up after his shift to get it put in a safe so we'd get it back.

I caved in and had a chocolate massage towards the end of the holiday and despite reviews to the contrary it was very good. Different to over here and slightly inimidating at first because of the language barrier but the actual massage itself was better than some of the half hearted ones I've had hotel spas in the UK. My only criticism would be that the shower to wash off the chocolate concoction was really small, just a foot shower and whilst I was having the wrap I could hear it dripping which was a bit annoying. But the lady who did the massage was very good. (Georgia I think she said her name was, she was half Greek) and would definitely recommend it - the chocolate/oils made my skin very moisturised and amazingly soft for several days.

All in all a lovely relaxing holiday - we were there a week during half term which was just right really - the only thing which spoilt it was the bad tummy I picked up on the last day which affected me on the flight on the way back. The airport is dire and food is awful by the way - its v hot with a few flies so be prepared! Also they do a think on the way there where they try and charge you about £50 per family for extra visa stamps. I think you can round this by getting them before you go for a lot cheaper - I'm not convinced we really needed them - the flight attendents said we didn't but its all quite intimidating and everyone else did.

Also the room cleaner gets a mention as his towel sculptures where works of art that the kids really loved and he was really friendly and nice. The room was immaculate, bathroom spacious and clean, kids beds nice and comfy and in a separate area.

All in all I would definitely return

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here last Nov. the accommodation was lovely, nice big hotel, the rooms were very spacious and clean.

The guy that cleaned our room was very friendly and insisted on calling us his brother and sister. Which was funny to start off with, but not for 7 days. He clearly wanted a tip, which we would have given had he not been irritating. It even got to a point where we use to hide from him.

All the staff are very polite and make an effort but sometimes you want to be left alone and enjoy your holiday...that doesn't happen here. But I think it may be Egypt in general. Everyday they would ask us if we wanted photos taken on the beach, a spa day or any other type of excursions. You say no and they will still go on.

Leaving the resort isn't best. We did one day and the Egyptians just hound you and do not leave you be. We didn't leave again.

You could always get a sunbed and the pools and grounds are beautiful. I agree with another review though, lots of Russians who are very rude, ignorant and if you want quiet, you won't get it with children around the pool. But we just put our earphones in and listened to music.

The weather was lovely about 26-30 degrees each day but quite windy, we did go in their winter. The sun lost its strength at about 3 in the afternoon so if you want to sunbathe all day, it's not a good idea to go in November.

The food...awful!!! We like good food and the food here wasn't 5* whatsoever. We tried all the a la carte restaurants and even they were terrible. I have never had pizza that tasted of air!!! It was so bland and tasteless and really spoilt the holiday. I was ok because I had chocolate on our room but my boyfriend was not impressed at all. On the last night we went to the seafood restaurant, we both had seabass, as opposed to it being white and flaky it was pink and mushy. We left it, told the waiters and walked out. Another night, we went to the Asian restaurant, the food here was less bland but so ridiculously salty. It was horrible.

We both got an upset stomach and I had tablets for the rest of the week. Not good at all. I'm guessing it was the food because we didn't use the pool that much. Not what you want when you're on holiday. It took about 3 weeks for me to get back to normal when we came back.

We did 2 excursions whilst we were there, quad biking in the dessert and snorkelling. Both trips were amazing. We had so much fun and even saw, and swam, with dolphins. It was a fantastic experience. The sea is beautiful and the corals are like another world. If you are going to Egypt you have to do the snorkelling!!!

Our rep Isrra was lovely and very helpful.

Overall, we did have a good holiday because we were together and in the sun but the food and being ill, really ruined it for us. If you like good food on your holiday, here isn't the best place for you. We wouldn't go back and it's more of a 2*-3* on the food quality. The service and accommodation is, in my opinion, a 4*.

• Stayed November 2012
Hany G, General Manager at Jaz Aquamarine Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Ms. Laura,
Thank you for choosing Iberotel Aquamarine Resort to spend your holiday.
My team and I would like to assure that it is only through valuable customer feedback we can maintain and more importantly improving the level of customer satisfaction that we aspire to improve.
I do apologize that we didn't accomplish this for you and we welcome any suggestions for improving and developing our service.
We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at Iberotel Aquamarine Resort as our special guest and provide you with upgrade to the next room category complementary extending all VIP amenities and services.
We’ll do our utmost to make you experience an enjoyable and memorable stay with us.

Hany Gamal Eldin
Hurghada Area Manager
Iberotel Aquamarine Resort
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have to say, this is one of the better hotels in Egypt. Usuall problem with late booking at reception is what one just have to get used to. Just be careful when recieving your room, in first place, we did get a nice balcony room,nothing wrong with that, apart from the room balcony was heading to another hotel. Could live with that as well, but the hotels were separeted only by the road between them. After some talking again at the reception and loosing half day, we did get another room with balcony heading to the gardens and pools. The grounds of the hotel were very nice and clean. Food was just egypt standard. Rooms were pretty spacious and comfortable.Good entertainment team.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel was a bit of a mixed bag. The grounds were pretty and everything was kept clean. The rooms were nice enough and the management and certain staff gave good service. These were the better points. The bad points are as follows:

- As stated, some of the staff were great but then others were awful, no customer service skills at all. Not 5*.
- I got fed up being perved over by the Topaz and four courners staff everytime i walked past. Have they never seen a woman before?
- The tea, coffee and mini bar items were not replaced every day.
- I developed swimming pool rash and noted a dirty plaster by the pool. Lovely.
- The buffet food was awful. Seasoning was hit and miss, some food was bland and some food was over salted. We are vegetarian and had no choice whatsoever. Food was cold and the pasta sauces were cooked in the same pan as the meat sauce. I had bits of mince in my pasta so left it. Most of the week i had to eat plain pasta and a bit of salad.
- The drinks were not good. Made of local alcohol ie paintstripper and squashes.Sickly and horrible.
- The a la cartes had a better atmosphere but the food was again, poor.
- We both developed a dicky tummy and know it was down to the lukewarm buffet food.
- The juices were mixed with squash and the wine was awful.
- One breakfast at the four corners we picked a table for six people as it had a nice view. There was no one else in the restaurant at all at that time. However we were moved to a table for two with no view by an insistant waitor. I couldnt be bothered to argue by that time. The waitor could see that i was annoyed so after that he decided to take anything that i picked up out of my hands and walk with me to my table with it which was annoying despite me saying no.
- There was no peace at the pools as they played zumba tunes at full blast so we stayed at the beach most of the time which was ok. it didnt have the best location and no matter how far out we walked we did not find any fish.
- Hurghada itself was just a touristy place not as nice as Taba where we went previously.
- We spoke to other people on a day trip to Luxor and they were all staying at the premier le reve hotel which they said was amazing. I wish we had gone here instead.
- The hotel is full of Russians who are extremetly rude and dont expect any peace it is full of babies and small children.
- We were hassled every five minutes whether we were on the beach or poolside and as a result we were never allowed to actually relax. "No" seemed to mean "not now but try and ask me again later/tomorrow".
- At night they watered the plants with a manure smelling water. Perhaps it was fertilizer, but I didnt appreciate it spraying me as i walked by on my way to dinner.

Lastly, I feel i need to speak about the thomsons reps who were both excellent, particulary Israa. What a decent bloke and he sorted us out brilliantly when we had a few issues during our stay. He deserves to represent a better hotel.

So in a nutshell not a 5* more like a 4* in appearance and 3* food.

It was so bad that we have been home three days and have already booked another holiday somewhere else.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Iberotel Aquamarine Resort to spend your holiday.

My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. We are extremely committed to delivering the perfect holiday experience for each and every guest.

I do apologize that you were dissatisfied during your recent stay with us, I would like to draw your attention that we will take all necessary actions concerning your below comments.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you. Your comments were vital for us and helped us in improving our services and standards. Kindly allow me to invite you back at Iberotel Aquamarine Resort providing an upgrade to the next room category based on hotel availability, complementary extending all VIP amenities and services. Let us assure you this time will we’ll do our utmost to make your stay as pleasant as you were expecting.

Hany Gamaleldin
Hurghada Area Manager
Iberotel Aquamarine Resort
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

With out doubt we can not fault this hotel. The rooms were large with comfortable beds and cleaned to a very high standard. In fact the whole hotel was constantly being cleaned day and night. Plenty of activities for all ages, everyone was catered for. The food choices were good and we would particularly recommend the Italien and Lebanese (we ate until we were stuffed). The cocktail list was extensive far bigger than most all inclusives. The staff were very friendly and the management team were always on hand and making sure all the guests were happy. Yes we were hassled a bit at the beginning for photographs, spas, dives etc when we just wanted to relax but once we politely declined we were left without alone and it wasnt a problem.

Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a huge resort on the coast. It is very well run and the 'al a carte' restaurants (where a limited menu is served to you) are a nice touch which breaks the monotony of the buffet. As you would expect the included drinks are all local. Take Out bags available for breakfast and lunch.
The marjority of the staff were very friendly, met a few who were having a bad day. The Spa was very good but haggle hard on the price, avoid the salon and the attached dive centre.
Room was spacious and very comfortable.
Very limited free Wifi in lobby

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

one of the best all over the world ,wowww perfect for familly and alsoo amazing for youth , but the desserts wasnt good and no varaity , its was eastern , for me i like western dessert,, the waterrrr bottle they get the worst water type bottle on earth { masa}

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Jaz Aquamarine Resort? Share your experiences!