“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jaz Aquamarine Resort

Save Saved
You added Jaz Aquamarine Resort to your Saves list
Jaz Aquamarine Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Sahl Hashish Road | Gawish District, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #39 of 181 hotels in Hurghada
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I travelled for a week in December with a friend for a relaxing holiday. This is a great hotel overall and I had a great holiday. The main reason for choosing Egypt was the weather for this time if year and we had blazing sun everyday.
The check in was easy but we were left on our own to try and find our room. We had to stop and ask a cleaner for directions. The hotel was full of German and Russian families.

The Hotel
This was a great hotel and had everything you could have wanted. It was spotlessly clean, the facilities were all you could want and more. The pool area at the Bluemarine was under construction but there was still room for everyone around the pool and no fighting over sunbeds.
The rooms are a decent size and cleaned everyday. The beds were amazingly comfortable. The towel art was brilliant and a nice surprise to come back to. The shower was a bit rubbish and didn't have much power and leaked all over the bathroom floor. I was a little disappointed that for an all inclusive hotel we were only provided with one bottle of water per day. Anything above this we had to pay extra for. The mini bar has a small selection of soft drinks and chocolates at extra charge.

The Staff
The first day we were hassled 27 times in the first hour to ask if we wanted a spa, massage, hair cut, hair colour, manicure, pedicure, quad bike, camel ride, horse ride, scuba dive... The list goes on... Some were quite forceful but most were friendly.
The staff in the restaurant were friendly, some were weird and wanted to 'do anything I asked for as I was from England' and insisted on reserving a table for me for all meal times.
The reception staff were extremely rude and are the main reason I would not return to this hotel. I settled the mini bar bill and paid for the room extension on the final day and even produced the receipts but they were insisting I had to pay this. They wouldn't accept the receipts as evidence as the computer was showing I still had to pay. This was eventually sorted but after they got rude and I demanded that they find Peter who took the payment from me. I didn't even get an apology!!!!!

The Food
The food is ok for an all inclusive
. It does get a little repetitive towards the end of the week but there was a selection and the a la carte restaurants for a change and I would highly recommend the Lebanese restaurant but the Italian was a little disappointing and bland.

As 2 women in Egypt it was not safe to leave the hotel. One early evening we went outside the hotel for a little walk and got followed by 2 creepy men which put me off going outside again even through the daytime.

It's a shame the reception staff were so rude as this is the only thing that would stop me returning to this hotel...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

1,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

For the price we paid, the stay was excellent. It's not a 5-star hotel but a 4/4.5 star hotel. I enjoyed the stay thoroughly. The reception and service was excellent and there is good free Wifi but I think the paid Wifi is excellent value for money (fast). The sleep quality was OK - good because the bed was very comfortable, bad because the loud disco music till 1 or 2am, and the walls been a bit hollow - you could hear the people above moving around. Cleanliness is superb - rooms cleaned daily and well - poolside/exterior very clean. The location is good - but not the best - Luxor is a long reach away and possibly dangerous with the current situation. We walked out of the hotel once and were dogged by people asking if we wanted a taxi and people trying to drag us into their stores and the shops are full of tacky, glow-in-the-dark pharoahs and more..! Rooms were great the only let down - showers - the showers are so, so poor and its an issue which needs addressing - they were very poorly powered - water was so slow and dribbled out, also sometimes I found the shower was not that hot it was just tepid. I did not try the spa so I cannot give an accurate review of it - but the people come round selling treatments all the time. Breakfast and food was good, the buffet could have had a bit more choice. The one dissapointment with food was the Ginger, Al-la-carte, they got our order completely wrong, and the portion sizes were tiny - we had to go to the buffet after to feed our appetite! Another point is if you are with Thomson All-inclusive you can visit the al-la-cartes as much as you want for free which I don't think is what Thomson advertise. The staff are very friendly and speak great English.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was very careful in my selection of hotel to stay at in Hurghada - the holiday was for my daughters 21st and wanted it to be special. It was amazing. I went with Thomson holidays and could not fault it, we stayed for a fortnight. The weather was hot 28/29 degrees everyday, at this time of year days are shorter.
On arrival check in was easy and we were taken to our room. I had asked for a room close to the facilities due to mobility problems and I got a ground floor room by the main pool. The Bluemarine resort is next door and guests can use all the facilities - the food in their buffet was top notch so we went there to eat most nights. But every restaurant was excellent, including the 4 a la carte ones. Our room was huge, beds so comfortable and immaculately clean. Towel art every day made coming back such fun. We didnt leave the hotel - bar to go to the pharmacy as the mosquitos are wicked! One day a man came and cleaned our sunglasses - what luxury. The 18 pools was incredible - some freezing some warm. The staff friendly and no pushy salesmen - a simple no thanks sent them on their way. Would I go back? Just you try to stop me - planning my holiday for same time same place next year!

Room Tip: A bit noisy round the main pool but not intrusive so was never a problem.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I found this hotel to be everything we wanted it to be. I was abit nervous as it was our first time in Egypt but im so glad we went. The hotel was huge and plenty to do.They were not many English in our hotel most German or Russian but most spoke English and All the Egyptian staff also spoke good English. The hotel was very clean and we really enjoyed the food especially the A La Carte restaraunts. The pools that were not heated were unbearable to swim in but the heated ones we went in were fine, The slides at the hotel were a good bonus too. The sea was very clear but only came up to your knee for a mile or so but was a marina you could swim in on the left or a five minute walk over to the right side of the beach was a peer where you climb steps into deeper parts and could have a swim or snorkel with loads of colourful tropical fish. Also 2 hot tubs on the beach to use if you wish. We went on a boat and quad trip and they were both well worth the money we paid. I would reccomend this hotel and I am so glad we chose not to listen to any of the bad reviews on here as we had a fantastic time and would go again.

Room Tip: Bring a really good mosquito spray and one to plug in the room as we didnt and ended up with loads o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for 2 weeks from the 5 Nov. Large, clean good sized bedroom & bathroom, we had a balcony overlooking one of the quiet pools. We flew with Easyjet and our flight was on time and ok. We booked our accommodation independently. I arranged transfer from the airport to the hotel with hamadahurghada@hotmail.com and they were recommended to us by someone on Trip Advisor they charged us 70EGP and met us just outside the terminal, which worked very well. This hotel is very large with over 1,000 rooms and 18 swimming pools, there are quiet pools and activity pools with some being heated. Never a problem to find a sunlounger, of course there are some that still get up at the crack of dawn to reserve their chairs. The hotel is very popular with Russians, Polish and Germans. There’s a Gym Room which is manned by Mohammed who is really helpful, he helped us device training plans for our stay – there are 4 running machines, 4 cross trainers and 2 bikes, as well as weights etc. We never had a problem finding a cardio machine free. There are numerous restaurants & snack bars. The main restaurant Topaz which is buffet can be a bit daunting at first just by the number of people using it, but the food is delicious and we could always find a quiet spot to sit. There’s also the Four Corners, which is slightly smaller and doesn’t feel as manic, buffet again, lovely food. Plenty of choice for Breakfast & Evening meals, we didn’t use them at lunch times. We tried all the snack bars and by far the best was the one by the main pool, with best selection of food and quality. The A la carte Restaurants of which there are 4, we had to book via computer screen in reception 24 hours in advance. In order of our preference Fish Restaurant, great food and good service. La Rocca Italian, again great food and good service. Zaitouna Lebanese Restaurant – nice food, but we had a really long delay between courses and because you’re sat outside we were bitten quite badly by mosquitos. Ginger Asian – very disappointing, unfriendly waiter and everything we had tasted as if the same sauce had been used, maybe we were just unlucky? We had unlimited use of the A la carte restaurants, so we went back to the Fish & Italian, which I think speaks for itself. When you’re in the A la carte restaurants you can still request drinks from the All Inclusive menu so don’t feel that you have to buy a bottle of wine if you don’t wish to. Our favourite bar was Waves, but they are all equally good and the drinks flow.
The one thing we forgot to pack was insect repellent and it’s a must as we were bitten quite badly the first few days.
Would I recommend Aquamarine to a friend – absolutely, if you want to go somewhere where you have guaranteed sunshine, nice food and a chance for some well deserved relaxation then it’s the place for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Check in: There was no que for check in, we were directed to the bar where we were required to complete a short form and were issued our bands, towel cards and two room cards alongside resort information.

We were then escorted to our room by Osmin where he pointed out the various restaurants along the way. Our suitcases were bought to us within minutes of arriving at our room.

Room: We stayed in 1062. I requested a ground floor room and this was honoured. We overlooked the heated ‘busy pool’. There was two large beds pushed together, tea/coffee making, a mini bar with free water, coke and sprit but also the ability to pay for extra drinks and chocolates.

A hairdryer was in the bathroom with a shower (no bath). I had to request a iron (there was no ironing board). The iron was taped together and the wire looked very dangerous.

We found that when we left a tip, we had a new bottle of water and towel arts. The days we didn’t leave a tip, we didn’t receive these ‘extras’. That’s a tad disappointing but I suppose that’s how they work.

Pools: There are so many pools which was great, however this time of year the ones that are not heated, were far too cold to enjoy. The pool opposite our room was the busy pool and seemed to attracted all the families and children, this was heated. Also one of the pools over the other side near the spa was heated; it was lovely and much quieter.

Beach: The beach was manmade and shingle so a little sore on the feet. The sea was lovely but only came up to your knees, ideal for kids but no chance of swimming or snorkelling.

We found if you go to the left of the beach, there is a small section where you can swim as the water is deeper. Just be careful of your belongings.
Spa: We decided to go to the spa to book some massages. We asked about the hot stone massages but we were sold a different package which included sauna, steam, Jacuzzi, a coconut scrub, a face mask and a massage. We were told if you have this at the beginning of your holiday then you’ll get a better tan, they also said to book in for the same treatment at the end of the holiday but instead of coconut scrub, it would be a coffee scrub that would make our tan last longer. Clearly this was just a sales ploy but the treatments were very nice.

I did try to haggle with the salesman who was incredibly rude to me. I’m not sure whether it was because I tried to haggle or because I was female. This was the only person I felt was openly rude to women, his tine was terrible and he directed all questions to my boyfriend.

The cost of the two sets of treatment was £80. They were supposed to be for two hours but it was about 90 minutes but still very good value for spa treatments.

Gym: We didn’t use the gym but it looks well equipped with plenty of cardio machines and free weights.

Restaurants: There were a number of restaurants and bars. We were told that if we used the al a cart more than once then we would be charged EUR8 p.p. They have two sitting for these restaurants, 6.30pm and 8.30pm. You can book these in the reception area using the computers.

Topaz: This is the main buffet restaurants for all meals. The breakfast was good with a good selection of breads, pastries, eggs, and various hot food. The hot food was a little odd like chicken sausages, beef bacon and mini burgers but a combination of the country and the clientele will be the reason. Lunch and dinner both had a good selection of hot food and salads and yummy desserts.

Four corners: We came here for breakfast once; it served the same as the main restaurant. We went to come here for dinner but we did not see anything we liked. The main restaurant had a better selection.

Zaytoune: This is the Lebanese restaurant. The service was very good and the food was also good. We could not decide on dessert so they kindly gave us a selection of all of the choices.

La Rocca: The service here was very quick and we received our courses very close together. My boyfriend had the pizza and this was very bland. However, my chicken and risotto was very good. The desserts let them down as they were still frozen in the middle.

Paradiso: This is the beach bar/restaurant. We ate lunch here a few times and the food was good as well as the service. It was great looking out onto the beach over lunch.

Fayrouz: This was the dimly lit bar. It was a really nice place to come and relax and was warmer than sitting outside. The waiter service was good.

Al Ayam: It was good to sit outside in the early evening enjoying a Sisha. They only cost £2 and this can be added to your room bill.

Other tips: There is a big problem with mozzies so make sure you take spray and after bit cream. There is a HSBC ATM in reception so easy to withdraw money. To change notes into smaller amount (for tipping) just ask at reception. The wifi actually worked quite well in the lobby or Al Ayam bar. The rooms were very noisy so I suggest bringing earplugs.

Overall we had a lovely holiday. The majority of the staff was very friendly and welcoming. We were one of few English guests, this made it difficult to speak to other guests but the staff seemed to treat us really well.

I would recommend this hotel but I doubt we would return to Hurghada as there is little to do outside of the resort (with the exception of diving).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just returned from a week long holiday at aquamarine. The grounds are well kept, spacious and lots of pools etc. I went in the first week of december which was off peak, but still felt busy in the hotel, i dread to think what it is like when full. i booked my holiday all seperately, so i was not on a package, so check in was a bit confusing, and not the most welcoming. My room was in the 3--- block which was convenient for everything. My room was spacious and clean, and to a very good standard. The only thing was there was a strange smell coming from the wardrobe, a musty smell of which i could not tell where exactly the odour was coming from. My room cleaner was horrible, he was rude, unfriendly and to be honest quite creepy, i think maybe cos i did not tip him on the second day for making a snake out of a towel on my bed, he got the hump.
The pool number ten is the quietest, the other seem to be busier with lots of unruly brats. The pool by the beach seemed to be nice too. Really enjoyed the on site aqua park, just be careful around the pool areas as the floors are realy slippy.
The food at the hotel at the buffet was on the whole good, lots of choice. The buffet at the blue marine which you can use is nicer, not so canteen like. Dont bother with the a la carte restaurants, cheap ingredients, luke warm food and small portions, if you have to probably the lebanese is the best. The drinks at the hotel are fine, we didnt seem to encounter any issues with this. Some of the staff at the hotel are so pleasant, but there are a few who are just down right rude, you can tell that they are slagging you off in arabic.
The only real bad point of the holiday was the spa, quite often you get pestered around the pool by spa sales reps, who a quite aggressive in their pitch. I booked a shiatsu massage for 40euro, by all accounts i had been ripped off, as other guest i talked to got it cheaper. On entrance i found the reception staff to be quite sleezy. The massage was extremely poor, not 45 mins, but 30, after the 30 mins the massseur disappeared for 15 mins just leaving me there covered head to toe in towels. The massage was weak and unprofessional. The sauna was in pitch black and the jacuzzi was cold. When i was asked the following day, I gave feedback, I was invited back to have a 30 min massage free, but only if I booked another 45 mins session full price, i declined and then I was followed out of the spa by the same rude sales rep, he was aggressive and rude. Be warned folks, dont waste your money.
On the whole I had a nice relaxing break in the sun, but i probably would not return.
also i got about 20 mosquito bites during my stay - take some spray.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jaz Aquamarine Resort? Share your experiences!