“Nice hotel, was a good holiday” 4 of 5 stars

InterContinental Hotel Hurghada
Village Road, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #57 of 183 hotels in Hurghada
London
“Nice hotel, was a good holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed here a year ago with my dad. We arrived in Hurghada in the mid afternoon and it was boiling hot. The hotel offered us a transfer service to the hotel. The coach was air conditioned and was very nice. I expected the transfer to be around 30 minutes long maximum however it turned out that it was more like an hour and a bit long! Not a major issue but not in the best location you could possible imagine. We arrived at the hotel and the staff welcomed us warmly. Mark warner was the company we were going with and they were very good. They showed us to our room in which was a bit old fashioned. The beds were basic but you could get a good night sleep in. The layout of the hotel was very good with the brilliant happy hour! There were several bars to have drinks in as well.

There were huge pools which i particularly enjoyed and a nice beach bar. The one thing that was very good and i am very pleased about is the diving centre. The diving centre was well equipped with all the equipment needed and a lovely huge boat to go on. They even had their own decompression chamber which was very good. Our dive guide was excellent (shazly) and i thoroughly enjoyed my first diving experience.

on the downside of the rooms i noticed that they were a bit wear and tear and the casual lizard running across the roof. But there was nothing to worry about and other than that the hotel was a lovely place to stay in! The staff were very kind to us and i would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Hurghada.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room - very nice
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Novi Sad, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and me were there in august 2011, for 11,12 days. I realy do not understand few bad reviews for this hotel, so I decided to write one positive. Hotel is in relaitvely new part of Hurhghada in a lovely park. Hotel is big, clean and comfortable with one of the most beautiful beaches in Hurghada with palm trees in a small bay - very nice for relaxing holiday. Pool area is also nice. There is a lovely, small peninsula, nice for waching sunset or to take pictures of beautiful Red Sea. We take a half board, but hotel also offers all inclusive. Food is good, tasty with great choice for every meal. The rooms are huge, as always in Egypt, modern, very good equiped, with coffie (tea) maker. The staf is friendly and helpful. This hotel is very good value for money and I can realy recomend to stay here and do not worry about some bad reviews. Just relax and enjoy in warm wather, clean and clear Red Sea and you will have great holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

My gf and I, and our boy, aged 7, visited this hotel a few years ago. The reason I haven't reviewed it before is because I haven't been much on tripadvisor. I'd just like to say that all the bad reviews on this hotel are a bit of a mystery to me. Let me explain.

We had gotten hold of very cheap tickets, so we weren't really expecting more than a basic bed. We chose not to go All Inclusice - it's much better to take a taxi into Hurghada and try out various local restaurants! When we arrived we were impressed by the lovely, clean lobby area, helpful staff, a non-alcoholic welcome drink and a lovely room. Really - the hotel is spotless. I can't remember what type of room it was. But considering the low price, it was very nice indeed. Clean, comfy and with a lovely view over the beautiful pool area. What more can one ask for?

We truly enjoyed every meal. (Only breakfasts, since we ate out for dinner). Great selection, friendly waiters and really everything - and more - than we could want.

The grounds of the hotel were also very nice - just like all the other hotels in Hurghada. A nice pool and a short walk down to the beach. No complaints here either. There's even an artificial island you can walk out to. Lovely for a romantic strole in the evening. The only downside to the beach was the lack of good snorkling. It's just boring and sandy. Lovely for relaxing, but this is the Red Sea! (We took a taxi to Sjarm el Naga, and here the snorkling was utterly sensational!!!!!! This place was not in our travel brochure. The staff at the hotel recommended it, and if you love diving/snorkling it is totally worth the 45min taxi!) At the hotel beach one can rent kayaks, surf boards, or even try paragliding (recommended.)

Be generous with tips to the staff. Egypt is a very poor country. A small amount for us means a great deal to them.

Any complaints? Not anything I can blame on the hotel at least. Egypt is well known for the risk of tummytrouble. Never(!) drink any of the tap water. Don't even use it to brush your teeth. Bottled water is so cheap, so don't take the risk. Clean your hands with antibac before every meal. I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone. DON'T worry about the bad reviews here! It was just great, and I'd love to come back someday.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. We were perfectly happy in the cheapest 3-bed room, so I wouldn't both...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

- First I would like to tell you how did we choose Intercontinental hotel; My family an I wanted to choose some place where we could get the best service out of Hurghada; therefore we choose Inter as it has a World Wide name and Fame and no way it would disapoint us; However, we discovered it was a nightmore for all of us as we were 24 ppl with same comments we would like to share with you:

- Electricity broke twice for two days Consequently at least for an hour each time which distracted me and my family at night.
- 1st time to check in a hotel 5* and find a 20 inch TV "Nokia Brand" with no possibility to attach any HD or SD cabels. (so dont get your Play station or any device you want to attach to this poor TV)
Moreover, Hazy pictures with ZERO possibility to ask for any sports channel to watch incase they dont have it in their 20 channels they offer in the room . (in my case, we went to next door hotel to watch the match)
- We were conned and cheated when we asked for a boat to spend our day in the red sea. They have charged us 400% exactly more that the real price. Although we payed alot of money for this trip we didnt get a satisfactory service for it. as food was undelicious and cold.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

Intercontinental was a lovely hotel, but the Platinum All Inclusive was definitely not a good option, I would rate it more BRONZE All Inclusive. Only wine, beer, selected fruit juices and bottled water, coffee and tea available. NO spirits or cocktails included. Cocktails in the hotel expensive and no concessions for guests on the All Inclusive package. I am not a big drinker, but I even found the amount of drink offered to you was on a minimal basis especially if you were by the pool or beach.

The food in the Palm Brasserie was very limited and even though a different cuisine each night, it all tasted the same.

The staff are extremely friendly, but once they realise you are All Inclusive, it is as though you are a second class resident at the hotel.

On the good side, the hotel is lovely, extremely clean, well appointed rooms, the beds were the most COMFORTABLEI have ever slept in and hygiene levels in the hotel exceptional.

• Liked — Bedroom - extremely comfortable beds and well appointed room and bathroom
  • Disliked — Platinum All Inclusive package
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

This is probably the worst managed hotel in this group and for this matter globally !

Management does not appear on the scene ever ! They do not care at all.

Heavy russian package tourist traffic, the hotel is dirty and the pricing is a " rip off " !!!

The rooms are totally outdated, mine ( 207 ) had marks from previous attempts to break inyo the front door by force.

The bath rooms are discusting !

The hotel states " that they may renovate in 2009 " ??

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Hotel Hurghada? Share your experiences!