“Another great holiday to Egypt” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al Nabila Grand Bay Makadi

You added Al Nabila Grand Bay Makadi to your Saves list
Al Nabila Grand Bay Makadi
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 30, Safaga Hurghada Rd. Makadi Bay, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #105 of 177 Hotels in Hurghada
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Another great holiday to Egypt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

After I booked this hotel it all stared kicking off In Egypt, however the news reported is all old news. Please don’t let this put you off. I have been travelling to Egypt for about 10 years now and this is by the far the best location stayed at yet. I would recommend anyone to visit this hotel who loves Egypt and snorkelling/Diving. Al Nabila is approx 45 minutes from Hurghada and there is desert on one side and hotels on the other. It has the most amazing bay. We always book 5* as this usually means 3*. The reception area was beautifully decorated and all toilet areas spotless. The grounds did require some maintaining but this was being completed as the hotel was quiet due to the problems Egypt was experiencing. The location outweighed everything else. We would definitely return and would have extended our stay if my partner could have gotten more leave from his job.

Due to the issues Egypt was experiencing we understood why certain areas of the resort were closed. They simply did not have enough tourists to pay staff therefore had to close certain areas. However we never felt like we’d missed out. The staff were Brilliant and love the English tourists as we are happy and always polite. Manners cost nothing and go along way! We are worlds apart from the Russians. I think we actually hit lucky as there were only about 150 staying at the hotel. It was peaceful and yet we still completed many activities.

Wireless Internet was expensive and was around 50 Euros for the week. I think you should receive this free in 5* venues even if it is a restricted amount of time.

We had paid extra for a Sea View Bungalow but on arrival were located room 725 Apartment. The room was spotlessly clean with the most amazing view of the bay. Small blocks of about 6. However we queried the bungalow we had paid for and were advised that the room we had been located was actually superior to the bungalows, however we could view the bungalows and change if required. The bungalows were quite far away from reception area and after viewing them we decided to stay where we were. Apart from the huge bathroom/bath our room was superior to the bungalows! It was cleaned daily along with fresh Towels.

Once the main restaurant (Noah’s Ark) re-opened after refurbishment the food was plentiful. Salad station, the main area with rice, chicken, meat, fish and a pasta station which the chefs cooked to our spec. If you don’t ask you don’t get! We were chopping up meatballs and adding them to pasta along with chilli and it was lovely. It’s the small things!. Also a great cake station and fruit was always available. The manager informed us that as the Da renato Italian restaurant and La Dorada – Sea Food Restaurant were closed due to lack of tourist, if there was anything we would like being Italian or Seafood all we had to do was ask and the chef’s would prepare for us.

Mohammed (Jo) was our waiter in the restaurant. We quickly built up a great relationship with him and his brother (another waiter). Jo would not let us get our own drinks and laughed at us Brits for clearing up our own plates. He is a lovely boy who again was very friendly and funny. An asset to this hotel!

There were never any issues with the Cincinnati cocktail bar, Sharm El Arab Beach Bar or the Aurora bar. Again the staff were always friendly and filled our beer glasses to the top…..with no froth as we Brits do not like ice cream, we like beer with no head!

The resident DJ who was absolutely crazy, so funny was called ‘Fach-me’, (Spelled incorrectly). Ha-ha laughed for hours over that name and couldn’t help but shout his name at every opportunity. ‘Fach me’! Hehe! ;-)

The beach was amazingly clean and we could have had our pick of beds each day as there were no guests. The beach boys were polite and had fun which is nice to sea in Egypt. Usually they are confined to their stations but they had a good boss who allowed them to upskill on things like lifesaving and windsurfing and we even seen the towel man being taught to swim. They were a great bunch of young boys. Towels were provided either by the pool or on the beach.

We booked Quad biking in the hotel with Mustafa who is hilarious. This was for 2hours and worth the £20 spent. There was only myself and my partner went out at 4-6pm with Mustafa and he takes you to the most amazing spots in the desert. He took many amazing Photographs for us on our camera. My partner booked again so he could thrash the bike in the desert. Great fun and felt very safe.

We went on a great Dolphin Boat Trip with Amr from the Dive Centre. He is truly a wonderful person and friend. The trip was a last minute thing and my partner swam with the dolphins at a beautiful reef site. I am not the most confident with water but Amr guided me in the water and I held onto him for dear life whilst we snorkelled around the reef. I felt very at ease with him and trusted him 100%. Very good boat trip with good company.

My partner even tried Wind surfing and picked it up quite well. Again George and his staff were attentive and helpful.

Remember to leave tips for the staff. They earn very little and work very hard and are always smiling.

I have come home to England/Newcastle and my new phrase is ‘No problem, as you like’ as this was said so many times to us on our visit.

It was a lovely holiday and we will definitely remember it for the location, the friendly staff and the friends we made. We are hoping to return at Christmas.

We made time to speak to all the staff from the gardeners/cleaners/security staff to the managers. The night manager (Cheddy) was always pleasant when we seen him along with Sayed Salama (Manager) who smell’s amazing. My partner cheekily asked him if he could ask him a serious question and asked ‘What aftershave do you use, you smell lovely’ Haha, he laughed and luckily he was not offended and replied (Paco Rabane Millions!)

A Special thank you again to Amr, Jo and Mustafa for making our holiday that extra bit special.

Kerry and Phil (Newcastle/England)

Room Tip: 725 had the best views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have been to at least 40 other hotels around Egypt both 4 and 5 stars. Among those Al Nabila is by far THE WORST in quality of service, food and cleanliness of rooms. The food is not just tastless, it is many times rotten and recycled. I went with my family and all meals, we'd go round and round the open buffet looking for something to eat with no success. Many nights we dined on sliced cucumber and bread, which was mostly stale by the way. We used to dread going to the restaurant, yet we were very hungry after spending the day on the beach, so had to go anyway. Although the beach is spectacular, we were looking forward to going home because of the food. Again it is not a matter of being fussy about your food, it is about starving in this place. You do not want to starve on your vacation. We complained several times to the staff and the only improvement they did was offer us watermelon among the after dinner desserts. Before complaining they served rotten dates and poor quality oranges (the poorest I've seen in Egypt, and I really have no idea where they could get those horrible oranges and dates in the land of Palm trees and oranges!!!!!) Other than that, they had several colorful attractive looking different shaped cakes, that all tasted the same: BLAND!!! Don't know why the chef even bothers to bake a variety, it would have been the same had he put a bag of flour and some sugar on the buffet. Very disappointed!!! The worst I've seen all over Egypt, not just Hurghada.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fayoum
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

After a depression in the tourist action in Egypt, me and my friends decided to give Al Nabila hotel a shot, despite the bad rumours spread in the air. We arrived in 25/8/2013. Starting from the food, it simply sucks, and lacks odour badly. The pool is VERY tiny and I think it's mainly made for kids, the aqua park was pretty nice, although its water was really dirty. Rooms are the hotel's hell, tons of ants and several insects, the paint job is terrible, showers are disgusting. General cleanness, it's enough said that I caught a MOUSE running off the chicken grill. Beach was relatively the good part, amazing beach with snorkelling opportunity. Animation team was dead, night shows were horrible, Disco -I wouldn't call it a disco- was dead, song taste was the worst. Finally I would like to say that it might be cause of the recent events going on, but even though I wouldn't recommend "Al Nabila Grand Bay Makadi" as a vacation destination.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

For my opinion this place has a magical power. First reason one of the most beautiful entrance inside of hotel, you'll like it from the first sight. Everything made with a refined taste of beauty and also you'll feel the sense of freedom here. You can find different kinds of rooms, bungalows, as you like. As for me I prefer bungalow, it's big, bathroom is big and round shape. Huge territory with guests from the different countries, mostly all Europe, Egypt and Russia. But really when people come to this hotel they start to be something special, they start to be like a big big family. This happens due to the most Fun, the most Energetic, the most Talented and beautiful Animation Team on the whole coast. Mostly guys came from Italy, also Germany, Poland and Russia. Headed a team worth their chief, his name is Marco Battiato. Super professionale animator. As for children you can find a lot of fun activities: 5 watermountains, children's room with very kind and pretty russian woman Lena, 3 swimmingpool and much more but the most important thing, espessially for children and of course for adults the WONDERFULL BEACH with the wonderfull sea. Becouse it's a quiete big Bay. Beautiful corals, fish and even little moray you can see there. And never can be NO WAVES and strong wind. Children can play all day, without any troubles. I heard that one family once come to Al Nabila continue to come here already 10 times. As for me if I go to Egypt to Hurghada I'll stay only at Al Nabila. Also there is a nice big restourant with good food and ettentive staff. Buy the way I want to say that hotel has very good SPA, especcially if you want fully relax visite one of the program and ask make massage one beautifull and professional egyptian woman, her name is Fatima. In the end of my story I'd like to say that whole Aura of this hotel made to make you relax and have a great holidays. Welcome to Al Nabila Grand Bay Makadi!!!
P.S. one egyptione girl with all her family wants to add that you can feel yourself herefully safety, you can walk even alone durind all night))

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Despite the bad reviews which was mainly concentrated on food, we had a great holiday. The hotel is located in one of the best areas in Makadi bay offering amazing snorkeling and sandy beach. The hotel also have a high quality dive center with a very cooperative staff and good prices. The service was good, rooms were clean. Mr. Eid Ibrahim, the reservation manager is a very decent gentleman, he was keen to solve any issue that might arise during our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Minffordd, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed at the Al Nabila for 9 days after 7 days on the Nile. If anyone is thinking of doing this (when the present trouble is lifted) make sure you fly Easy Jet, that way you can fly into Luxor and home from Hurguarda without having to travel all the way back to Luxor (4 hours instead of 30 minutes).
I chose the hotel for the reviews on the snorkelling - we weren't disappointed. The hotel bay is fantastic, the beach wonderful. Please remember to take your equipment as I forgot to take my fins and there was no shop to buy them. The coral is awesome and the fish incredible and varied. We swam for miles every day. We booked a diving course with our rep but wouldn't have bothered as there was a diving school on site.
We also took a quad bike trip, again directly from the hotel which was fab. Tito, the guide, stopped for us to take photos at some spectacular places we never would have found. Highly recommended.
You can eat al a carte as many times as you like in the Italian and Egyptian restaurants, booked the night before. We ate at Hoodinis on a couple of evenings just to eat less!! The food there is lovely too and the service everywhere really very good.
Please tip accordingly!!
A special mention to the manager of Sincinati Bar - absolutely first class wine and five star service.
Can't wait to go again, and we most certainly will.

Room Tip: Some gorgeous honeymoon cottages
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brackley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

•Great location, snorkelling outstanding, stunning coral and it was really easy to see a huge variety of fish even in the shallow laguna right of the dive centre
•Pools - the quiet pool was lovely and clean and sunbeds never exceeded 20, the other pool for toddlers with slides was great as was the pool with slides for older children. The quiet pool had 2 broken showers.
•Food - not great, you can find something to eat but it is bland and repetitive and the cleanliness in Noahs is poor breakfast was taken with some of the previous days dinner on the seats crockery was often chipped and unclean, The better restaurant is Houdinis where both service and cleanliness is a higher standard
•The rooms were not cleaned just the bedding changed, on 2 occasions we ran out of toilet paper and were left only 1 towel, the room was a little dirty and certainly not even 4 star
•Mostly Russian tourists at the hotel. We were the only English tourists and felt very welcomed by staff in the hotel most of whom spoke english
•A2B Transfer - diabolical. We were picked up for Hurghada airport in a dilapidated van where the luggage was taken through a back window and for which we were told that we had to pay implying that it would not be taken if we did not comply. On the return journey today, they were 1 hour late collecting us in a better van after the hotel rang them no less than 4 times. The mini bus was air conditioned and more comfortable but it was very tight for our flight time, however, that was then delayed by 1 and a half hours. The other hotel gave the driver a receipt for taxi fare as their people were not prepared to miss their flights
•Reception staff always tried their best to be helpful with queries
•Animation team whilst well meaning and friendly provided amateurish entertainment which could easily be left
•Scuba Diving on site - Brilliant, the dive team were patient, knowledgeable and really helpful
•Spa - mostly good but you can get treatments on site cheaper from the Spa tout on the beach
•Representative looking after us did not turn up for our meeting and left us to our own devices - lazy and incompetent
Overall the hotel lack TLC - lights were broken and not replaced, toilet locks the same, very much giving the impression that the hotel was cost cutting and becoming shabby. Because of the location and compared to Europe at the same time reasonable value for money but definitely would not stay here again. The hotel would have benefitted from a more hands on management style as it was there seemed to be a large number of management watching the workers and barking orders but missing crucial eye for detail.

Room Tip: Bungalows overlooking the sea had stunning views and quiet location at night
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Al Nabila Grand Bay Makadi? Share your experiences!