“Am I in Hurgadah or Russia?” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Safaga Road, Hurghada, Egypt   |
Ranked #22 of 182 Hotels in Hurghada
London, United Kingdom
“Am I in Hurgadah or Russia?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I absolutely loved The Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort. The welcome was great,the room was perfect ,the staff ,especially Ahmed,the towel guy, and ALL the restaurant staff were perfect. Our room was spotless and cleaned everyday with fresh towels,tea and coffee and a bottle of water. 80 degrees plus, The pool was clean and sunbeds always available. We were served drinks that were brought to our sunbeds ,and regularly . We got to eat in two of the specialist restaurants the Sea Breeze ,delicious,and The Italian ,wonderful. Daniel in the Hotel shop was so friendly and helpful . The beverage and Food manager always found the time to talk to us . What a great holiday. But hold on a minute, we were the only English people staying in the hotel ,everyone else was Russian. apparently it was their holiday season, I wish we had known . They were rude,greedy,incapable of saying excuse me or thank you, or sorry. they barged in for the food,obviously not understanding that queueing is the norm. They took HUGE amounts of food ,tipping it into large bags,and this included RICE and SLICED CUCUMBER! enough Bananas to satisfy the monkeys in Gibraltar ! When stopped by the staff they pointed to their all inclusive bracelets and argued ! They didnt follow the dress code and wore swimwear in the dining room,not a pretty sight if the person wearing it happens to be on the large side! My husband and I felt sorry for the staff, who were only doing their job. Quite a few of the staff apologised to us about the behavior of the Russian Guests . It made the Germans and the Towels drift into insignificance. We decided not to get upset about it all and treat it as "the cabaret". we played guessing games as to where they all went between meals,they wern't on the beach,they wern't by the pool, general opinion was they were in their rooms eating what they had take in bags from the restaurants.
Dont get me wrong about my rant, I found it all very amusing,they only annoyed me slightly and I am just warning people of a different temprement who might get very angry.
Please go to The Sonesta ,Im sure its not the only resort that has these problems, You will love it ,you will love the Hotel and the staff and you will laugh at the antics of the Russian people,lots of stories to come home and tell friends and family . Would I go again ? probably but definately NOT in November .

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors have better views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
badramani, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear protos1234,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with other readers , sorry that you got bothered by the Russian , yes it is their seasons and they are plenty of Russian nationality in Hurghada in general , despite this we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon at our resort .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

we've just come back from a weeks 'holiday' at the Sonesta Pharoah Beach in November and we honestly need another holiday to get over this one.

-- Unless you're Russian, please avoid this hotel --

We didnt believe the bad reviews on here as we has stayed at the Sonesta in Taba and found it wonderful.. this one, sadly couldnt even compare. Upon arrival we were 'upgraded' to a chalet 'with a sea view' if you are ever offered this, do not take it, its a major downgrade. your chalet will be next to a dead lake with rusting metal barrels, im sure is where millions of mosquitos reside. We immediately asked to be moved to the room which we had actually booked and paid for, which was slightly better than being eaten alive by the mozzies, and spending the whole afternoon swatting flies.

The hotel boasts landscape gardens.. what a load of bull! a few wilting cactai, dead plants and some bushes do not a landscape garden make. After getting over this, prepare yourself for the dining experience: the food for breakfast is the same everyday, the lunch is also the same, with some of the leftovers being served for dinner - the Russians dont mind, as this hotel caters to them with cabbage, potatoes and any kind of root vegetable being served daily. there is o dress code, guests waltz into the dining area barefoot, bare chested, even at dinner guests were still in their wet beachwear... save yourself the agony and eat at the only decent a la cart restaurant the hotel has which is the Isis Restaurant, that we can't fault as the food was excellent.

now on to the beach... and what a dreadful beach it is, due to the type of guest that stay at this hotel, the beach staff have given up on collecting empty glasses, plates and cleaning out the cigarette butts from ashtrays, which means your day is spent swatting and shoo-ing flies and listening to Russian guests being rude to hotel staff.

There is one good thing about this hotel, and thats the hotel staff, once they know that you're not russian, they go over and above to make you comfortable, despite the circumstances and a shout out to the guest relations manager Mr Hussain Mohammed who really tries his best to sort out your hotel issues. The hotel staff know that the standard of the hotel is well below that of a 5* and try their best, but due to russian guests and their behaviour, they dont want to put in the extra effort.

Bottom line, this hotel is for Russians only, and if you enjoy being with rude, greedy and unpolished guests then this is the place for you.

we paid £500 extra in order to change our flights and return home early - in tis case, this was money well spent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear NiaLole,

Thank you for caring to write this review despite the bad experience you had at our hotel , I am really sorry about this and I am happy at least you enjoyed the food at Isis restaurant . all your comments will be taken seriously and forwarded to the GM , I hope you give us one more chance in order to enjoy a better experience
Cracow, Malopolskie, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

it was a great holiday, I spent nice time there with my friends.very nice people, especially a group of leaders who not for a moment did not let us get bored :) if holiday in Hurghada it is only at the Sonesta Phaorah Beach Resort :)))) recommend

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I was there in may 2009
I have reserved for 5 days but when I have arrived this hotel, I have done check in & I have taken just 50 minutes to do the check out , it was a horrible hotel .
The room of honeymooners was extremely bad .
I have left my luggage in the entrance out of the hotel gate ,they told me your luggage will follow you directly to your room but I have surprised that I have got my luggage after 1 hour when I have left the hotel to another one but for frankly speaking the lugguage were there in the same location infront the entrance gate out of the hotel in the same location no more .
The lobby is so crowded by furniture , no body has done the orientation or guidance for us to go to our so far room .
I don't recommend this hotel absolutely .
Don't be trapped by the room price .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Ahmed E,

We are sorry you did not enjoy your accommodation at our resort and thank you for taking the time to write this review , be sure we take every complain seriously as this is how we improve our service . Again sorry for any inconvenience
Bucharest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We spent one week in this hotel and chose it mainly because of the good price. But we understood why they had better rates than other hotels, as soon as we arrived. We were charmed with the capacity of the staff to make you feel as if you really chose the worst option. In the reception we were asked from the begining to "leave a present in the passport" in order to get a certain bungalow, even though the resort was half empty. The staff from the hotel's bar was rather rude.
Very nice garden, but except for that, the hotel is truly a 3*, not even close to 5: room furniture is old, cleaning service is poor (didn't change the towels every day, but enchanted us with elephants made of dirty towels)
At the beginning of our stay, we wanted to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants - they told us that they're all closed and only the Chinese will open one day before we leave.. so we booked that one. All this time we ate in the hotel's cantine, that's what it felt like - poor meals, bad service - I couldn't touch the green salad, it was not washed, having soil on it...
Our surprise was when we finally had the privilege to eat in the Chinese restaurant - that's when we found out that all the restaurants have been open all week long ... :)
Animation is mainly for Russian tourists, as if others don't even count
The outside pool was very very cold in November, while the heated pool was not heated at all, I never saw anybody going there
The shopping center inside the resort is very poor - the one across the street was our option
The beach is nice, on the other hand, and the water is clear and full of colourfull fishes.
So my advice to you is: pay a little extra and find a real hotel for your vacation. It will worth it!

Room Tip: beach bungalows
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lari842,

Please accept our apology for not having a good time at our resort and be positive that all your complains will reach the concerned person in order to upgrade our service .

Thank you for taking the time to write this review
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spend one week holiday on Hurghada. I visiting on sonesta beach many times, cos we rent a flat far away from the beach. So we found Sonesta!! Food was delicius and service on lobby bar and on the beach is something what i cant find on Finland. About see and beach: I dive so i can say that try it on new center, or go snorkeling and fresh youre mind on beatiful house reef. You can find beatiful corals and all kind of fish and colours under the water ! Hotel have also two animation teams, who moves youre body many kind of ways :) Dancing, aqua aerobic, yoga, shooting ! So you dont have to just lay at the beach. For familys: Animation team have also activity club to kids,while youre kids are playing with professional kid leaders you can enjoy youre time on the beach :) Beach is very safetly, not too deep and sand is so soft. I can swear that this hotel is best choice if you go to Hurghada. I wanna say that: Enjoy youre holiday and don't stress :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear heidi_aaltonen,

Thank you for your review , we are happy you enjoyed your stay at our resort , and the food and entertainment were up to your expectations . Hope to have you as a regular guest at our resort
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was in Sonesta with my family. I had a great time, all the people who work there are so nice! And the animation team awesome. I like Sheeko, Essam, Karim and Ahmed so much, they are the best entertainers! Every day you can go so much activities.
This hotel has everything you need and is very clean. The pool is very nice and also the beach. you can snorkel and dive.
Every night there is a nice show to watch. Sonesta also has some nice reataurants were you can eat very good.

I will go back for sure to sonesta! It's the best!

Room Tip: A room with the vieuw on the pool is very nice!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michella426,

Thank you for your review , we are happy you enjoyed your stay at our resort and hope to see you soon again

Been to Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada? Share your experiences!