“Do you like MAGGOTS for breakfast!??” 1 of 5 stars

Nesima Resort and Dive Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   El Mashraba | P.O. Box 24, Dahab 0000, Egypt   |
Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Dahab
London, United Kingdom
“Do you like MAGGOTS for breakfast!??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Do you like live MAGGOTS for breakfast!??

Me and my girlfriend just got back home to London from Dahab. We had a great holiday, with the exception of the HORRIFIC experience that happened to us whilst having breakfast at the Nesima Resort.

We are both well traveled and have been coming to Egypt for years. We're both aware that stomach bugs are common for most tourists to Egypt, and that often food hygiene standards are not of the same standard as back home in the UK.

We'd both had suffered a couple of times on this holiday with the usual upset stomach, so one morning we decided to go to the Nesima for breakfast because it's new and on the outside looked like a quality establishment with a fair amount of invesment judging by the looks and layout of the building, so we expected the food hygiene standards to be equally high.

We paid around £4.50 for the buffet breakfast, which is pricey for Dahab. I remember thinking that the buffet didn't look as fresh as I had hoped, but I put this thought aside in good faith and sat down with my girlfriend to eat the breakfast which included fresh orange juice which you had to sqeeze yourself using an orange presser.

So, we started tucking into the food which was pretty awful and had flys buzzing around the mostly uncovered food. There were 3 staff standing, doing nothing but just staring at us while we ate which was particularly annoying and uncomfortable. There was plenty they could have kept busy with, like refilling and covering and protecting the food for example.

Whilst be stared at, I then started drinking the orange juice that I had just pressed. I drank half of the glass... then noticed a very large, white, wriggling fly MAGGOT in my orange juice!!! I freakout out realising that I had probably just drank a load of MAGGOTS, so I ran as fast as possible to the toilet when I was VIOLENTLY SICK for the next few minutes making sure that I got absolutely everything out of my stomach... a horrible and humiliating experience.

I then demanded to see the manager of the Nesima hotel because the Nesmia staff didn't know what to do or say. Eventually I was escorted into the managers office. The manager, a white, grey haired Europeran man in his 50's, I suspect German or Austrian judging by his accent, stared coldly and emotionlessly at me, as I clearly explained what had just happened. I explained that that most of the buffet food was uncovered and exposed to flys and heat, and that the oranges we rotten to the core. I said that this was outrageous coming from any hotel, leave alone a hotel of this caliber. After listening to all that I said and seeing how sick and ill I was, do you know what this so called 'manager' said?? ...he said, coldly: "So I guess you want your money back do you? That was it. No compassion, No sympathy, No empathy, No concern and No care WHATSOEVER.

I was and still am utterly as DISGUSTED with the food as I am the so called CUSTOMER SERVICE of the Nesima. Both are ROTTEN TO THE CORE.

DON'T LET THE PRETTY PHOTOS FOOL YOU. THERE IS A MASSIVE MANAGEMENT AND HEALTH AND SAFTEY FAILURE AT THE NESIMA. STAY WELL AWAY, THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER FAR BETTER OPTIONS IN DAHAB.

To the Nesima management - YOU ARE A DISGRACE.

Room Tip: This place is unsafe.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NESIMATEAM, Manager at Nesima Resort and Dive Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

We wish to apologize for your unpleasant experience while having breakfast at Nesima.
We also would like to thank you for bringing up this very serious issue, which has never happened to us since we opened our restaurant in 1992.
Even though we have been using one of the best fruit suppliers in Dahab, maggots in oranges are sometimes undetectable, as the insect penetrates the oranges and lay eggs inside, unseen with a bare eye during certain period of its development.
As a result, we have immediately changed our fruit supplier and taken other internal measures to avoid similar mishaps.
We have and always did have food hygiene on the top of our priorities.
We urge you on your next visit to come and enjoy a tour of our kitchen and a complimentary meal. We are confident that you will enjoy your next visit to us and share it with everyone else.
We strive to continuously improve on our services and assure you that we take every guest comment very seriously.

Best regards,
Nesima Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I have just come back from a gorgeous sun soaked holiday in Dahab, enhanced by the wonderful accommodation and welcome we received at the Nesima Resort.

The resort is right on the beach front, and it was simply glorious to open the shutters each morning and see clear blue sunny skies and languid blue ocean in front of us.

For a relaxing holiday with friendly and attentive staff (experts at the finishing touches too - have a look at the photo of how they left our fresh towels each day. It always brought a smile to our faces).

The rooms although basic have all the requirements you need for a lovely getaway.

We would recommend anyone who wants a relaxing holiday, particularly if you enjoy lounging by the pool, reading books and having the odd cold beer brought to you, to come for a break to Nesima.

You'll come back home with the memories of warm sunlight still in your heart (and on your skin).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NESIMATEAM, Public Relations Manager at Nesima Resort and Dive Center, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Pepe07,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. It is nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your recommendation. We hope to welcome you back to our resort any time soon.

Warm regards,
The management
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We've just returned from Dahab and a week's stay at the Nesima, this being our second trip there within a year. The hotel is a great place to stay, rooms are on the small side but kept nice and clean, the restaurant does nice breakfasts and dinners and all the staff are really friendly.

The dive centre is perfect, great behind the counter staff, dives guides and drivers, highly recommended. We will be back again next year for sure.

Room Tip: Both rooms we've had have been fine, one was ground floor the other first floor. Just to be cert...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

A 3 nights stay here for a diving trip, I only used the hotel for a nap or overnight sleeping, hadn't spent much time around.

The Location is superb, at the heart of Dahab.

The food is below average with minimal varieties, didn't enjoy my breakfast at all, the last day I decided to have my breakfast in a restaurant close to the diving center.

The pool is nice and cozy compared to the size of the hotel.

The rooms are tidy, yet a bit small, more like a cabin with small beds.

Bottom line:
Te hotel is OK if you plan to have outdoor activities getting back to it for overnight sleep.

Room Tip: Take a room in close by the reception and away from the Diving center, to avoid getting disturbed by...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. The pool is lovely and overlooking the sea. The whole place has a very calm and relaxing feel to it. Rooms are not the biggest but are very clean and had everything I needed. The restaurant and roof lounge are also very nice and a nice place to relax after a days diving. I would have given it 5 stars, but as some other reviewers have said the breakfast was a bit limited. Please don't let that put you off, there is a good selection of bread, cereals, cheese etc, but just I don't feel it deserves 5 stars and honesty is the best policy I think!

The dive centre however is outstanding. The staff were so friendly and helpful and really couldn't do enough for you. The set up is excellent. You have your own private locker to lock and store things away, as well as fresh water rinse tanks and a drying room which is also locked at night. Each person gets a locker, 2 hangers for wetsuits, a hanger for bcd and pegs to hang your boots on for drying, all numbered the same.

Tariq and Diana welcomed me as I arrived and asked what I would like to do for the week. Boat trips can be arranged and as I was due to fly on the date of the next one, they were able to group together with another resort to share the boat and go on another day so that I didn't miss Gabr el Bint (recommend this trip!). Excellent customer service and true dedication to making sure guests get to see everything they want to. The boats used for the day trips are large and spacious and the crew on board very helpful.

The shore dives are by truck / jeep and you get a shaded area to leave your stuff and relax between dives as well as order food and drinks. Our guide for the week was Nubi, who I can't rate highly enough. He is professional, friendly and genuinely seems to love showing guests the delights of Dahab's dive sites. He is very experienced and has an impressive eye for spotting sea horses! If you are into your photography I would recommend asking for him as he seems to have super vision for the small stuff!

There are cats and dogs around, but Nesima staff are doing their best to help the animals and get them neutered to help control the population and ensure the animals are healthier and not begging for food. I really admire their efforts.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I felt like I had a relaxing break as well as some great diving. The hotel staff can recommend tour companies and excursions for those wanting to do something other than diving, and really nothing is too much trouble for them. Thanks to everyone at Nesima and hope to return one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

In June we spent two weeks in Nesima Resort Dahab. The property is well maintained and especially the restaurant and pool have inspired us.
As animal lovers we have the dogs felt completely safe, because they were very good on the day and at night they have guarded the plant. We would like to thank especially Diana from the dive center, it is only through her commitment to the cats and dogs (feeding and medical care) was the animal misery in Dahab endure. Thanks also to the hotel management for it, it is unfortunately not common in dahab.
The rooms are small but clean and the staff is very friendly.
Only if Plants, animals and humans form a unit can be a relaxing vacation. Thanks for that!

Ulrike und Wolfgang Seebach

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at the Nesima Resort for 10 days in August 2012
5 stars to the Dive centre, well organised, friendly and very professional. Very happy to accommodate all our requests. Eslam was our guide for the whole time and was "the best guide in Egypt", showing us some excellent marine life, ensuring that we had lunch in the best places, with no rip offs, and being a genuinely professional dive guide, taking both safety and enjoyment into account. Booked through Regal Dive, who, as usual were excellent in their service.
The hotel was good, and staff friendly,we had a pool side room which did give us more space, the air conditioning was a bit temperamental, but the hotel management were always quick to sort it out. The resort was a bit sad in that it was very quiet and you had to run the usual gauntlet of restaurant staff and shop owners trying to get you in. Best place to eat was The Kitchen and the hotel restaurant was good too, but some of the other restaurants left alot to be desired, in that they gave you alot of free food that wasn't always needed and the quality was not great. Alot of the restaurants don't serve alcohol, but they are happy for you to bring your own.
A great divers holiday, but not alot else to do in Dahab if you are a non diver.

Room Tip: Poolside room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nesima Resort and Dive Center? Share your experiences!