“EXCELLENT STAY AT THE HILTON” 4 of 5 stars

Hilton Dahab
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Sinai, Dahab, Egypt   |
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT STAY AT THE HILTON”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

We have been to most of the Egyptian resorts and Dahab has by far the best beach, a long stretch of natural sand. The setting is completed by a horseshoe of pink, cloured, granite mountains which encircle the bay. It is probably the safest bathing for children, as the lagoon is protected by a sand bar. The Hilton hotel blends in sympathetically with a series of two storey villas. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite and it was quite magnificent: all the deluxe accommodation was of a high standard. The food in the Hilton is typical for the region: there is always something you will enjoy from the wide-ranging buffet, particularly at breakfast and in the evening. The Mirage restaurant is tastefully decorated and allows for al fresco dining. The breakfast experience is enhanced by the Hilton newspaper which keeps you up to date with all the important news of the day, such as the Arsenal result. We tried the a la carte in the Portofino, the Italian restaurant and the food was truly superb. The Neptune seafood restaurant does not quite work as the restaurant itself is modest in appearance and lacks atmosphere and clientele.
The staff are the most friendly and helpful I have ever come across in a life time of globe trotting - they truly made the holiday. It is such a brilliant beach that no one uses the pool which is in any case unheated. Dahab is on the windy side but it did not bother us and probably contributed to a tan with no sunburn. We had a look at the other hotels and none compared with the excellence of the Hilton.
We took a trip to St Catherine's monastery and it has to be one of the wonders of the world. We also walked along the 'yellow brick road' (paved all the way) to the two colourful villages beginning with 'M' (what everyone considers to be Dahab): this is a vibrant seafront with the feeling of a 60's hippy commune for young divers. With my two companions, my wife and the last of the Stieg Larsson trilogy, this was a memorable holiday and we will be back to have a go at the windsurfing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
GR-Hiltondahab, Front Office Manager at Hilton Dahab, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review after your recent visit to our Resort.

Great to see you enjoyed your holiday and that you loved the food that we serve in our different restaurants. I thank you as well for your kind comments on the team members. I will share your feedback with them as it is always rewarding to see that we succeed in our job.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cabris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed there with my wife and two year old son. we went there for windsurfing and had booked equipment at the Club mistral. Service and gear at the CM was excellent. The windsurfing lessons were top class.

We arrived late afternoon, first impression was poor - the resort is clearly worn down and ornamental pools apart from a few were covered in algae.

We went to the room, the child bed we had ordered was dirty but ready.

we had ordered a King bed but got two small beds in stead, mini bar was empty and switched off. A/C did not work.

I said 'it will be OK", we went to the reception who said they would fix all by the time we had had dinner. We went to the main restaurant. Food was no less than disgusting - we tried everything there to make sure - trust me - not good! After dinner we walked around the resort to try and generate a little excitement about the place - we were not in the mood of moving after a 7 hour flight!

eventually we ended up back in the room - no one had done anything and we visited the reception and asked to move the next morning. The manager offered us free dinner at the a la carte fish restaurant. We went there and saw the fridge with the viewable fish stock - two dry mullet which had been defrosted and a crab which had received a similar treatment.

Went back to the reception and confirmed our desire to move to the Swiss inn next door next morning.

Food at the Swiss Inn was much better and we had a good stay. Rooms were better and the Bar service was excellent and very friendly. Children's club was very good as well.

We have never received the 1500 Euro refund from either Hilton or the travel company (Thomas Cook voyages in Peymienade - France). If you go to Dahab do not visit the Hilton - it is a very poor resort - even after Egyptian standards!

Windsurfing was great with flat water and 25 knots+ everyday - amazing condition and a nice spot if you stay clear of the Hilton!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Stayed in Hilton Dahab three times. First two times September, 2007 and 2009, for windsurfing holidays. The last time was a short stay with my team from work, in December 2010. As I am a frequent visitor to Dahab stayed in other hotels, Ganet Sinai and Dahabeya, on other visits, which is good for comparison. In short – I would have definitely recommended Hilton back in 2007, but do not recommend it any longer. Three main reasons – poor state of rooms and public areas because of being old, low quality of food and poor service in restaurants.
In my opinion Hilton Dahab has the nicest planning and territory in the lagoon. Rooms are organized in two-storey small houses, beautiful territory, swimming pool and beach – all very well laid out. The territory is really green. There is shallow décor swimming pool covering big area of the hotel running between the houses, which creates excellent scenery both during the day and at night (when they turn on lights). It’s a pleasure to walk from restaurant to your room through small bridges over bright blue water or to stay on the terrace during the day. The place is very quiet, and the way houses are organized gives a lot of privacy and seclusion. Rooms are spacious, with either a terrace for the 1st floor or balcony for the 2nd. Air conditioning is very good, adjustable in the room and efficient in high Egyptian temperatures.
Major downside is the hotel getting older and older with no renovation in sight. Furniture in the rooms looks well worn off, so do bathrooms, walls, doors, and furniture on the balcony. It was noticeable in 2007, and in 2010 it was very obvious. For a resort hotel, where people do spend a fair amount of time in the room, relaxing, it makes a big difference. Same goes for restaurant areas and all public areas – they are badly in need of paint and redecoration. Such bad state of rooms is not something you expect from a 4 star Hilton resort. As an example, there are rooms with hammock on the terrace, which are more expensive than standard price. But the state of the hammock is such that I would not dare lie in it…

Beach
Spacious, a lot of wooden sun-beds, grouped by two under shadecovers, with wooden fences to protect against the wind (quite useful since the place is a windsurfing spot). Mattresses and beach towels are free, you get them directly on the beach and friendly staff help you to bring it to your place and get settled. There is Mistral windsurfing station on the left side of the beach, and another one on the right side – that way you can observe action on the water from almost every spot of the beach. As in many beach hotels some people tend to reserve sun-beds early in the morning. Not nice but not a big issue as there are really enough of the beds, and the shade. There is a nice beach bar, in a hut, in the middle of the beach, with low tables and pillows in kind of niches around it that make a perfect place to have lunch. Good to get cold water and drinks. Always very friendly staff. They bring your order to the sun-bed if you prefer to eat on the beach, and are always full of jokes and always smiling and friendly.

Deteriorating with every visit. Breakfast is good – big choice of cereals, breads, eggs, warm dishes. There is a chef making eggs and pancakes to your order in front of you. Buffet dinner used to be good – choice of salads, at least 3 main courses and several side dishes to choose from, a separate grill station. All of that is still there but quality of food is poor, and choice of something eatable is very limited. During the last visit none of my colleagues who took fish on the grill was able to eat it, and all of them complained about the poor choice and lack of any meat or chicken. When we stayed for 2 weeks and food was still acceptable I was already struggling with dinners, either they were repetitive or not very tasty, but good to fill you up after hard day of windsurfing. Last visit I was really struggling to find something that I could actually eat, let alone enjoy, for just a couple of days. Except for desserts, which had variety and taste. Would expect to have some fresh fruit as well though. Lunch buffet is worse than dinner – potatoes, rice, bread, soup and some salad…. They serve quiet good hamburgers, sandwiches and pizzas in the beach bar – definitely a better choice over lunch and a much nicer service. We were always going on half board, where lunch is not included. In the last trip was all inclusive package, with breakfast, lunch, dinner, water and local drinks included. Definitely not worth the price. As said, lunch is mediocre, and to get food from beach bar free you need to wait until 4 pm, which is too late for lunch…. Drinks included are very poor quality – local wine is just water, thought the local wine which they serve at dinner for additional charge is very acceptable. Don’t think that paying for water and sandwiches for lunch makes it more expensive than all inclusive package, and quality is much higher. Would think such a package suitable for a big family with kids, but for a couple or solo traveler it’s not much of a deal.
There are couple of a-la-carte restaurants on the territory. Have been once to the Italian one (Portofino, I think) – very nice food, chef speaks Italian, and terrace on the second floor makes it an excellent venue for a special dinner.
Another option for food is to go to Dahab town, which is a 5 minutes’ ride from the hotel by taxi. Just walk out of the hotel and hail a passing small truck. Short ride in the boot, and you are on a sea sidewalk, with plenty of restaurants and cafes to choose from. Definitely worth a visit at least once. Big thing is fresh squeezed juices which come in all possible combinations, in huge glasses, with nice decorations as cocktails.

Service in restaurant
Getting worth rapidly. For first two visits the service was excellent – extremely friendly staff, attentive, remembered names of the guests and background, everything was brought very fast, and dirty plates disappeared without noticing, they refilled coffee and juice at breakfast very fast. I was especially surprised when after my first stay, two years later restaurant Manager remembered me and my name! I am really sorry I do not remember his name – he was excellent at his job! Do not know if there’s been change of management but this December the service was really poor and disappointing. It was difficult to get attention of the staff to be able to order. During dinner all dirty plates stayed on the table until we left, creating a pile. We got broken glass for the water and had to wait ages to get it replaced. At breakfast me and my friend tried to get attention of the waiter to get some more coffee and tea (as there is no coffee you can pure yourself at buffet table), but he kept ignoring us. At the end of the day got up, took the cattle from the stand where waiters keep napkins, cutlery, etc. and poured drinks for us – waiter came rushing by, saying I am not allowed to do that and it’s his job and how dare I be so self-sufficient. He was rude and the experienced ruined the beauty of a nice breakfast outside with a friend. At lunch it got worse. Lunch is served on a terrace of a restaurant overlooking the sea, buffet is inside. First, when we came I had to make a phone call and got inside to be able to hear better. A passing waiter asked me rudely what it was that I wanted and why I was standing in one place. Then we asked him to move together the tables on the terrace for our group as we were 10 people. The answer was they cannot do that as there are other guests. Again, in very rude manner. It was not only my impression, but feedback from the whole group. The answer did not make sense, since to me it does not make a difference if 10 people sit at several separate tables or you put those tables together (and it takes 2 minutes to do that and then put them back). We occupy same amount of seats, and we are guests as well after all… Ordering water was an ordeal as the waiter was having a ride in his rudeness and demonstrating us his neglect.

Service in hotel
Service usually is very efficient and fast. They speak very good English at reception, all our requests were always dealt with in efficient manner. Checking out was slow each time, and there was one or another issue. One time they gave us the bill not for our room. Another time there was problem processing credit card transaction, then cancelling it, then doing it again. If you go, just plan some more time for checking out to avoid rush and getting stressed.

Activities
Main activity in the lagoon is windsurfing, and I would not recommend Dahab lagoon for anything else but windsurfing holiday, as it can get boring. Evenings are quiet unless you go to Dahab town, where there are several discos and night clubs. There is not much to do but stay on the beach during the day. There are some excursions available at any of the hotel in the lagoon. For windsurfing place is very good – not big hotels, quiet, you can get good rest after a hard day on the water.

It’s disappointing all those changes happening to Hilton resort. Sincerely hope they will do good renovation and review other areas of hotel operation to make it back to a comfortable resort, where you feel welcome and taken care off as it used to be couple of years ago and have a terrific holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
GR-Hiltondahab, Front Office Manager at Hilton Dahab, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review after your visit to our Resort.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your whole experience at our hotel. We have taken notes of all the points raised in your review as we take into consideration the guest’s comments in order to reach excellence in the service that we provide.

We do have as well a preventative maintenance plan in place which covers all the hotel premises to make sure that always the hotel looks clean, fresh and up to 5* standards.

On a positive note, I am glad to see that you liked the service provided by our Beach Bar Team. I will pass your compliments to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to offer you a terrific holiday as usual.

Thanks

Front Desk Manager.
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We had a two week stay on a half board basis. After reading reviews here, I was slightly reticent, but overall we had a very enjoyable holiday.
Firstly, the positives. The location is excellent with a lovely beachfront, beautifully tended gardens and the management have clearly taken on board comments to improve the hotel, as the salt water pools were very well maintained and they have all been fenced in (no need to worry about tripping over as indicated in previous reviews, or fears that your little ones may fall in). The staff were excellent and very open to constructive criticism and keen to put right any niggles.
Onto the downsides: I was asked about the food on the first day of our arrival and answered very honestly that I did not enjoy it, pointing out why not. Our bed was also very uncomfortable but the mattress was changed immediately, although it was still not the best.
Over the course of our stay the food did improve, and there was a significant difference by the final two days of the holiday (little touches like the cucumber being peeled, foods being fresher and clearly labelled and breakfasts meeting the standards of other Hiltons). The restaurant staff were very friendly and we were treated to a daily special mix of the Egyptian 'foules mesdames' by Yasiin who taught us how to mix it for ourselves when we asked. This went very well with flatbreads, falafel and fried aubergine. Do give it a go as it was delicious and makes a refreshing change from the standard breakfasts. My other half really enjoyed the freshly made omelettes.
The hotel rooms are a little tired and in need of some renovation, but this did not detract from our holiday.
Dahab itself is an enjoyable town to be in with a very laid back vibe, about a twenty minute walk from the hotel. We walked in and got a taxi back (standard price 15 Egyptian pounds - £1.50). There are plenty of lively places to eat and drink and Egyptian wine can be bought from 'liquor stores' for 45LE a bottle - £4.50 (the cost of a glass at the hotel). The red Obelisk was perfectly drinkable: great for a chilled out evening on the lovely terrace off our hotel suite, complete with comfortable hammock.
Is it a five star hotel yet? No. Can you have a nice holiday there? Certainly.
I look forward to reading future reviews, to see whether the hotel does indeed make all the improvements that are planned, and to see whether the improved quality of food is delivered with consistency.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
GR-Hiltondahab, Front Office Manager at Hilton Dahab, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review after your recent stay with us at the Hilton Dahab Resort.

I appreciate your comments about the hotel lagoons and I am glad to see that you liked our resort and enjoyed your vacation. We have taken good notes of all your comments and I assure you that we always use the guest feed back tio reach excellence in our day to day job.

For the rooms, we do have a preventive maintenance plan to ensure that all rooms are clean, fresh and up to 5* standards.

I would like as well to thank you for your kind words about the restaurant staff and Yassine the restaurant manager. I will pass your comments to them as it is always rewarding to see that we succeed in our job.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lodz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Nice hotel located just off the bay, well maintained and clean resort. The hotel is located among the lagoons, but you can not swim in them. For windsurfing, on the beach is Mistral club base with super equipment. In addition to this nice beach with free sun beds, children's playground. Poor little pool. Rooms are equipped with individually controlled air conditioning, mini bar, satellite TV, all rooms have balconies. Bathroom with bath and shower. The quality of food in the restaurant average (monotonous). I recommend to visit the center of Dahab, a taxi costs max. 20 LE in one direction. In Dahab can eat in restaurants on the boardwalk - the food is tasty, fresh, and cheap. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
GR-Hiltondahab, Front Office Manager at Hilton Dahab, responded to this review, December 26, 2010
Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review on your recent visit to our Resort and thanks for recommending our hotel.

Great to see that you enjoyed your vacation and that our room standards met your expectations. In addition, I am glad to see that you enjoyed windsurfing in our cost.

Regarding the food, we will use your feedback to continue improving the quality. It is true that we try to do our best to reach excellence in the services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Dahab Resort and we look forward to welcoming you next year.

Wroclaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Hotel was quite flash in my opinion, and deserves its 5star rating, contrary to what others are saying.
Yes it is a cab ride out from the centre of dahab, but its only 5 mins in a cab and costs only 20EGP. Also the beach along the coast where it is is fantastic, whereas the beach along the centre of the town is not so great, so top marks for location.

Service wise they are very friendly and I can really only fault them on 'over' servicing us. Too many knocks on the door from the cleaners and re-stocking the bar fridge etc.
One time I was on the toilet and a guy knocked on the door several times, obviously didnt understand my shouting and then rocked in and almost saw me with my pants around my ankles.

I wouldnt recommend eating there much. Way too expensive and quality is a bit lacking. You're far better off getting a cab into Dahab town to eat there, much cheaper, more variety, tastier and better atmosphere.

Little things like charging for using the ping pong table and mammoth internet charges add to the cost. Managed to get a decent deal on the hotel so no complaints there but its just the little extra's that you would think come as part of a 5 star package that leave you a little disappointed.
Drinks are expensive too obviously, so again best to go into Dahab town if you plan on sinking down more than one or two cold ones.

Overall, recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review on your recent visit to our Resort.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your vacation. I will share your feedback with the team as it is always rewarding to see that we succeed in our job.

We pay a great attention to our guest comments as it helps us to maintain high standards of service. I can as well assure you that we define our prices in a fair and constant way taking into consideration the cost of the goods and the expectation of our guests.

Regards,

Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

You can have a perfectly good holiday at the Hilton Dahab. There is no question it is not like a city Hilton hotel, but for Dahab I am not sure there is anything better. There is a lovely beach at the front of the hotel and a great pool. They could do with sprucing up the rooms with some new furniture, but overall the hotel is a nice place to chill out and the rooms are a good size. The room service is extremely over-priced and quite poor quality. venture out for meals and you will get better food and better value.

If you go diving make sure you go to Mirage DIvers, a short taxi ride from the hotel (haggle for 10-15LE for journeys into Dahab). They are the best diving school in Dahab, extremely friendly and professional.

Overall you will come away thinking the Hilton Dahab is a nice place that could just do with a bit of investment to bring it up to scratch, but it is in a lovely location in a nice quiet part of Dahab. Anyone who reads the reviews on this website could be mistaken for thinking this hotel is only ready for demolishing, which is not the case!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
GR-Hiltondahab, Front Office Manager at Hilton Dahab, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review on your recent stay with us at the Hilton Dahab Resort.

Good to see that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that you liked the relaxed atmosphere in our property.

Front Desk Manager

Been to Hilton Dahab? Share your experiences!