“Excellent hotel, clean and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Star Of Dahab Hotel
Mashraba St, Dahab 46617, Egypt   |
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
London
“Excellent hotel, clean and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I am writing this from the Star of Dahab office before my airport pickup. I'm sad to leave here, this is a fantastic friendly and clean budget hotel. It is in the Mashraba part of town which is nearer to the lagoon end, lovely and quiet but only minutes away from everything else! Everything was ready as I asked, all requests catered for by the superb English speaking staff including Kharim in the office. Prompt responses to my enquiries, flexible way of working and always someone to talk to. Everything was perfect in the room except the shower got blocked once and was very promptly fixed. Air conditioning and tv great. The attached restaurant (Sultana) is wonderful too and they will take very good care for you. Breakfasts are huge and delicious. Attached dive centre is amazing - see separate review. Come to Star of Dahab and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed at Star of Dahab for 3 nights this May and had an amazing time! First off, all of my correspondance prior to my arrival was answered promptly and professionally. I arranged for taxi pickup at the Sharm Airport through the hotel and much to my surprise Karim, the Hotel Manager, came with the driver to personally greet me. That was a first! It was definitely the beginning of many personal touches and great customer service that Star of Dahab provides. After I checked in I was offered a welcome drink, which is common in Egypt, but Karim - the manager - sat down with me and we had a great conversation about post-revolution Egypt and U.S. politics. Truly gave me a welcoming feeling - like I was more than a guest just passing through.

Big Blue Dahab is on their property (which is highly rated as one of the best dive shops in Dahab) and I used them for 2 dives and a snorkeling trip and they were also great. I had Laudi, and he was really laid back, flexible, and a good teacher.

I ate all of my meals at the Sultana Restaurant which is ont he hotel property as well. The location on the beach, combined with glowing lanterns, plenty of shade, and comfy pillows, make it a great place to read, relax, and chat with the staff. The wait staff in the restaurant (Andy, Hyamin..sorry if I misspelled...and many others) were great. There are cats all over Dahab and I am terrified of cats. When I told the waitstaff this, whenever I would be eating they would give me a spray water bottle as defense against the cats and they were also on the lookout to scare the cats away before I even saw them. Little touches like that go a long way, especially when you're a woman on your own.

I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to all the guys at the Sultana Restaurant - thanks for a great few days and the help with the cats! Karim - you're the best! Definitely looking forward to my next trip back to Dahab :-)

If you're reading this, stop looking at hotels in Dahab and book with Star of Dahab already! If you're still not sure if you should go to Egypt in general - go! I felt completely safe as a solo female traveler - especially in Dahab - so use your tourist dollars and help support the local economy!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Exceptional friendly and welcoming! I instantly started to feel relaxed even when just checking in, which was a sharp contrast to my how I'd felt checking into a Hilton in Sharm 3 nights earlier.

The room although basic was very clean and well sized, perfectly positioned for the dive centre (Big Blue Dahab). The hotels restaurant is wonderfully charming and always served up very good food. I ate there every night in my 3 day trip and by the end was
involved in running jokes with the staff there!

Next time I am going for a land based Red Sea diving holiday, I'll definitely be coming back to The Star of Dahab and diving with Big Blue.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dahab, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I arrived at the Star of Dahab on New Year's Eve not really knowing what to expect, and was whisked off to the desert straight away for a party. With a BBQ, Egyptian dancing, a little climbing and plenty of opportunities to smoke shisha pipes, this marked the beginning of a truly wonderful holiday.

I was a solo traveller, and felt at home straight away. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and go out of their way to ensure that their guests feel relaxed and comfortable during their stay.

My double room was basic but scrupulously clean, and it had a terrace with a sea view where I could sit and work if I needed to (the hotel has free wireless internet). There was always hot water, and my room was cleaned daily. It was always fun to return at the end of the day and try and guess which form my clean towels would take. I had an alligator, a baby and swans to mention a few!

The restaurant is right on the beach and decorated in typical Dahab bedouin style, with both floor and normal seating. I ate breakfast there every day, and often found it difficult to leave there as the scenery was so breathtaking.

All in all, I would recommend the Star of Dahab to anyone and especially solo travellers. You never feel alone here!

So thank you Kimo (their funny, generous and incredibly hard working Hotel Manager), Mohamed (Restaurant Manager who made my breakfast times on the beach a real joy), Ahmed (maker of the most fantastic Sahalab drinks) and Fresh (creator of the funniest towel sculptures I've ever seen) for everything. I miss you all very much!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

The star of dahab is a beautiful tranquil place, the staff are relaxed but perfectly attentive, making you feel like you are welcome and at home. I can find no better place in town that offers so much but that still retains it character and peacefulness..........if you miss this place when you visit dahab you are missing much of the point in being in dahab

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Star of Dahab is a clean and friendly hotel based close to plenty of local restaurants for evening entertainment, but still within walking distance of the laguna public beach. Based right on the beach with restaurant next to the sea. The area is good for a solo traveler, good mixture of people, and relaxed vibe. Helpful staff, diving available, trips can be arranged. Very good value for a mid-budget traveler.

Low marks for sleep quality due to noisy neighbours on an Egyptian holiday break...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Hi, Just back from 11 nights at the star of dahab, very inexpensive and friendly, was diving with big blue which made it the perfect location. 10 min walk into centre of nightlife so great. Rooms clean and maid service every 2 days was great. for the price a must:-D
Thanks to Hani and the other guys for making it a great stay. Only grumble was if the restaurant had more than myself in it they were a bit slow, sometimes I just gave up! but plenty of other places to eat.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Star Of Dahab Hotel? Share your experiences!