TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Definately a work in progress - Ashame as has potential to be a nice spot.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Sun Hotel Dahab

Save Saved
You added Sea Sun Hotel Dahab to your Saves list
Sea Sun Hotel Dahab
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   53 Blue Hole Road, Dahab 2345, Egypt   |
Ranked #44 of 51 hotels in Dahab
Berkshire
“Definately a work in progress - Ashame as has potential to be a nice spot.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I flew back from this hotel on the 21st October after a week stay as a single traveller. Before I get into my review I would say that it's a 4 star but this in Egypt at best means take off a star to get an idea of what to expect. This hotel is no different; I'd also say that expectations of staying here may vary depending on whether or not you got a good deal on this accommodation. It's a hotel that has so much potential but is just missing a number of things that fundamentally changes your stay.

On arrival I was dealt with in a reasonable time...no welcome drink and the guy behind the desk rattled through then breakfast, lunch and dinner was. Don't expect to find any information in your room so it's worth taking note.

The first room...yes I saw more than one. This room was quite fresh but the air conditioning rattled as though there was on it's last legs although it didn't look particularly old. The bellboy rang down to reception but the phone didn't work. He had to use his mobile to get a response and another room. The second room shown had a slightly less noisy air con and the bathroom didn't have a shower curtain. But what you will find is that the bathrooms look as though they were rushed.

It took at least 24 hours or more to et a shower curtain and a further 12 hours before they came to fix the air con unit. The toilet seemed to breakdown on a regular basis and it was at times pot luck as to how quickly it would be fixed. I even had a situation whereby I was told that I may have to move rooms again due to a leak in the room below... you couldn't make it up.

Still at least I wasn't one of those who were asked to stay in their suite room with another guest for a night as the room booked wasn't ready. Yes you couldn't make it up but I spoke to a guest who was asked to do just that.

I’ll do a Good, BAD and Not So Great on the main high and low lights of this hotel.

THE GOOD
* Friendly staff and Omar behind the bar is always happy to help.
* Little things like luminous light switches and a small clothes line on your balcony.
* Beach is only yards from the hotel and is part of it's property.
* You now get a 1.5 litre bottle of water per room at lunch, one with dinner & another one left in your room.
* Animation team try to do stuff despite the lack of people around as many are there for diving and diving alone. Beach volleyball at 4pm is a must although as the beach is ultimately rocks covered a deep layer of sand. The court is in desperate need of being raked out to get rid of the stones.
* Free shuttle bus into town.
* Some effort into keeping the grounds in fairly good shape.
* Beds are comfortable.

THE BAD
* Sheets on bed are normally clean but stains are sometimes on them; more industrial that bodily if that makes sense.
* Towels are old and tired; I even saw a guy with piles of what looked like clean/old towels piled up on the floor. A few days before I left they suddenly had a few new towels thrown in. So new in fact they hadn't been washed so when you used them you ended up with lint all over you.
* All inclusive isn't quite all inclusive. In fact the worst example of this was a beach party where they were charging guests for drinks unless you got them back in the hotel bar.
* Food had some variation but at times many dishes were salty and some of the salads and all of the deserts were not covered. In a time of year where there are a lot of flies (but no mosquitoes) it leads to potential to get a touch of Ramesis Revenge (upset tummy or worse).
* Glasses and cups were not always washed with hot soapy water and so only rinsed out.
* Drinks given in small cups so STRONGLY RECOMMEND taking a plastic pint cup with you.
* As ever be weary of having ice in your drinks as ever.

NOT SO GREAT
* Shuttle bus to town in the evening came back at around 11pm.
* There was a water leak through a light fitting right by some of the salads and all that was done was a bucket put under it to catch the drips for days. In fact when I left it still didn’t look like it had been fixed.
* The occasional run away camel roaming the beach front and as times the repeated procession of little boys riding a number of camels back on forth just yards from the sun loungers on the beach.
* A sizeable proportion of guest are Russian who tend to keep themselves to themselves but do come across as quite arrogant & rude. Maybe it’s a cultural thing between Europeans and Russian states. It didn’t affect me as met some lovely people whilst there.
* Always felt the hotel was understaffed and those there were working ridiculously long hours. And despite that most of them still strived to do their best that they could. Again Omar must get praise here in particular.
* On site shop, as in most hotel shops to be fair, sell things higher than you’d find in the town. For example post cards were sold there for 5 Egyptian pounds (they were tired looking too). And yet in town you can get them for 2 Egyptian pounds.
* There is only 1 restaurant and not all that much else so don’t believe anything else that you may be told or read up on it. Anything you may want to eat or order away from the meal times has to be paid for.

In all it’s a hotel that has a way to go for me to say I’d recommend it and I’m sure if you were diving you’d not notice much of what was around you. Or indeed if you’ve not travelled much or been to Egypt before you may take things as the norm. But I have to say taking into account the challenges of any hotel in a hot climate there is still a lot to be done for me to recommend it. But when those things are addressed it could be a lovely place to stay for a week.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Went to sea sun dahab this month with my husband. Came back with something we didnt want.Afew days after being at the hotel i got rash on my arms from wrist upwards. like tiny pin pricks thought was it heat rash so i kept out the sun kept my arms covered. Night was worse came out more itch like hell didnt sleep much,Cream didnt help.When going back 2 Englang thought get better it didnt started spreading so i was little worried then my husband start getting rash on his wrist.So went to the doctors after being seen told i had SCABIES where i was in shock,Told i could caught it from beds sheets towels so on if u wondering what scabies is its little mite that borrows under your skin not nice my hoilday was ruined by it.So please be awhere of it when u got to this hotel check everything in ur room.OR U BRING HOME SOMETHING U DONT WANT

lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We went in March for eleven nights .The hotel on the website looked just what we were looking for- nice and quiet for relaxing , a bit of luxury surroundings.good food and choice of restaurants sea view room.LOL. On arrival we were given a back room infested with Mosqitoes. The food was not kept at correct temperature and not replaced. There was only 1 buffet restaurant 3 as advertized. There was a constant smell of sewage in the grounds. Power cuts water shortage. Leaky toilets. On the 4th day of our holiday the Canadian co-owner arrived and sacked 3 people on the spot.He listened to our com[laints and was very apologetic gave us a sea view suite with jacuzzi -even that leaked. quite a few people transferred to other acccomadation. We paid £600 each all inclusive for 11 nights thinking we were getting something decent, the place wasn't even finished, one man who we talked to in comparison only paid £299 all inclusive for 2 weeks. So, be wary who you book with, read the reviews and try to weigh up the pros and cons on the price you are paying. We were ripped off big time by Sunmaster who we booked it with, and ON HOLIDAY GROUP their accomadation suppliers who said in their view it was a 4 star-dont tell me they havn't done their homework!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We have just returned from 10 days at the Sea Sun Hotel in Dahab, and overall enjoyed our holiday. This was our first time in Egypt, and we were looking for guaranteed sunshine and relaxation after a few stressful months at work, both of which we got.
We got the hotel for a very reasonable price, and would describe the hotel as ‘comfortable’, and 3* by UK standards.

The hotel was small-ish, and friendly in a quiet spot, right on the beach. 10 minutes drive from Dahab town centre. There's nothing else within walking distance of the hotel other than sea and sand, and the hotel next door.

Unfortunately we did fall ill with a bad stomach upset whilst there, in fact I was so ill I couldn’t leave the hotel room for 2 days, and couldn’t leave the complex for around 6 of the 10 days. This meant we couldn’t go on any trips which we had hoped to.
Before falling ill we hadn’t left the hotel so can only presume it was something picked up there, but we spoke to a lot of other guests who were not sick at all so I am not sure. I can only say I have travelled a lot and never known stomach cramps and upset like it, it was vicious. Eventually a nice Polish man gave my boyfriend the medicine he had brought with him from Poland, we had tried Imodium Plus and some Egyptian tablets which hadn’t worked, but the Polish tablets were the only thing that worked and I felt better within 24 hours. If you do start to feel ill go to the pharmacy in town straight away because you’ll only get worse.

Bedrooms
Most (if not all?) bedrooms have a sea view, and all have a balcony/terrace. The rooms are a good size, plenty of storage, TVs in each room (MTV, and in English a film channel and BBC News). The bathrooms look half finished and could really do with some attention, there is often a sewage smell coming from the plugs. Also the room towels have seen better days! The beds are comfy and big. The rooms are cleaned every day, new towels brought, although the bedding was not changed for a week. We had towel art once in 10 days, despite tipping every day.

Facilities
A main salt-water pool (not huge but big enough for the size of the hotel)
A small child’s splash pool next to the main pool
Beach and Pool sun beds (plenty enough for all guests, we never came down to the pool until midday and always found 2 sunbeds together)
Beach towels (were rarely any left for us but think this is because most guests took more than 1 each)
Jetty out into the sea (so you don’t have to walk on coral/rocks to swim and snorkel - I am told that this is one of the best places to snorkel in the area, and it's right on your door-step. I saw so many beautiful fish)
Table-tennis table (no rubber on the bats)
Beach Volley-ball court (volley-ball organised every day at 4pm ish)
Pool table (upstairs, a billiards table on a slope and no tips for the cues!)
4 Bars – Beach bar and Pool bar only open til the sun goes in, Lobby bar which was the main bar and open as long as people were drinking/buying, Upstairs so-called ‘English Bar’ open in the evenings which was where they had the disco in the evenings and was the only bar with air-con. All bars were part of the all inclusive programme.
Massage guys (1 area by the pool, 1 area by beach) – expect to pay similar to UK prices for a massage but they were very good. They also offered some beauty treatments.
Entertainment – low key, but the Animation team Mario and Mickey tried very hard with a tough/non-existant crowd! While we were there they did a pool competition, arranged volley-ball everyday, belly-dancing lessons, Arabic lessons, an Egyptian evening at the beach bar with a BBQ and dancers (v.good), a Beach Party with a DJ from Sharm, a disco every night upstairs sometimes doing their own mini dance routines, it was all very informal but good for a laugh.
Bedouin tent – can smoke Shisha pipes here in the evenings (all inclusive).
On-site shop (sold snorkels, gifts, postcards, soft drinks, crisps/chocolate, pack of cigarettes for 20 EGP, approx £2.40). All this stuff could probably be bought cheaper in the town but very convenient and no haggling involved.
Trip sales guy – he around every day selling trips, but I don't think he was too much of a pesterer.
Quad-bikes sales guy – he was around most days offering quad biking trips, again not in your face, very polite.
Shuttle bus to Dahab town twice per day (taxis should only be approx 25/30 EGP single if you miss the bus - they try and charge 50 EGP)

Food & Drink
All inclusive was from 10.00am to 11.00pm each day. Breakfast was from 7am (??) to 10am, lunch 1pm til 3pm, dinner 7pm to 9pm. No snacks at all outside of these hours (unless you bought something off the bar/room service menu – pizzas, burger, sandwiches etc, or bought something from the shop. I saw sandwiches being ordered at 1am) No ice-cream served at all.

The food was adequate, and we always found something to eat, the vegetable dishes were often really tasty. Each day 1 or 2 soups were served, a variety of breads, salad dishes, cheese, 1 type of potato (eg mash, gratin, wedges, cubed with herbs etc), a rice dish, 2 vegetable dishes (eg aubergine moussaka, courgette bake, steamed veg, green beans, spinach), 2 meat dishes (eg roast chicken and beef, beef or chicken stew, fried chicken, chicken with ‘ham’ in the middle in a cream sauce etc), grilled fish or fish cakes and a pasta station. Breakfast was pancake and omelette station, boiled eggs, toast, cereals, fruit juice etc. The desserts I found a bit strange, but there was usually fruit salad.
Drinks were coke/diet coke and pepsi, orange fanta, sprite, tonic. Lager, vodka, gin, rum, maybe others. The spirits are local and don’t taste great but ask Omar to make you a cocktail and it generally hides the taste :)
Red and White wine was only served with lunch and dinner, or could be bought but it was expensive.
Coffee and tea including herbal teas available all day and night as they were self-service outside. A bottle of water was provided at lunch and dinner time (1 per room) and this could be re-filled at 1 of the water coolers. Also one of the room boys sometimes delivered a bottle to your room in the evenings. You could also help yourself to glasses of water from the coolers at anytime. Drinks were served in plastic glasses by the pool/beach for obvious reasons, but in glasses in the lobby bar.

Guests
There was a mixture of nationalities at the Hotel. Most people were polite and friendly and it’s the kind of place where everyone speaks to everyone. In the evenings it was a mystery to us where all the guests disappeared to after dinner as there was generally just a few Brits left drinking on the terrace, but we were told that a lot of guests use the hotel as a base when they’re on diving courses and just have their dinner and go to bed. It’s not party central let’s put it that way, but that was fine with us.

Staff
The staff were the best thing about the holiday for us, they worked very hard doing long-hours. Special mention to Omar the best bar-man!, Nour for being so cute and his dancing, and Mario and Mickey for giving us some good laughs (sorry you didn’t succeed in your mission and I’m still a single lady!).

If you want a relaxing holiday in a friendly hotel I can recommend this place, especially if you get a good price. Don't go if you expect a 5 star hotel for 3 star prices.

EU
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

The hotel was bought in package together with flight from a tour operator. It was one of the cheaper options in Dahab. I usually don't fuss too much about hotel amenities, as being on a diving trip as I was, usually makes you spend just overnights at the spot. As we arrived in the night, around 4AM, we were ushered to a (apparently by mistake) two bedroom apartment (originally I booked a 3 bed bedroom). Eventually I was told I can keep the room which was a pleasant surprise, as it was enormous (ca 70 sq m) and comfortable. That was a plus. The restaurant on the other hand was a disaster: food usually ranged from awful to completely inedible. On the other hand we experienced once a dinner buffet in the form of an outside "Bedouin" buffet and it was OK. For people who stay at the hotel: the pool is rather small with salty (!) water which tastes of chemicals and a rather small number of sun beds. More sun beds are close to the sea. Overall this is a rather "no frills" hotel, budget style so expect no luxuries. If you dive like I do, it's OK, but remember that you'll need transfers to Dahab to your diving center (the hotel is ca 5 km form the Lighthouse area) so proximity of Blue Hole and Canyon dive sites gives you no benefits. There is a diving center on site but the prices there are outrageous and completely not on market level.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

My family and I hve just returned from a 2 week stay at the Sea Sun that nearly didn't happen!! After having read the reviews from another hotel in Hadaba, Sharm el Sheikh (damning it to hell) we decided to change to this hotel.
No sooner had we done this than the bad reviews started. We tried changing again but were told it wasn't possible/too expensive to do so. So we thought we'd just stick it out and make the most of it!!

Thank goodness we did!!

This hotel is not one of your faceless 1000 room 5 star restorts. It's a small and friendly resort. All the staff are willing to help if they can, from the reception guys, the bar staff especially Nour and Omar in the main bar and Mohammed in the pool bar, and Mario the animation man!!
The rooms are spacious, air conditioned and cleaned daily and sometimes you'll find a friend or two (made from towels) when you return.
The food ..... Having read alot of the previous reviews they all say the same... "Very repetitive!!" My thought on that is that, if you have rice, pasta, potatoes, vegetables, salad, chicken, beef and fish every meal time then yes it's repetitive. However it you mix it up, then the food, I found, was of a good qualityand normally hot. If we had any problems we just brought them to the attention of Mr Ashraf, the food and beverage manager, and they were dealt with quickly.
The pool is a salt water pool so doesn't need cleaning daily and because of the salt content the deeper part does look cloudy. It was a nice change to find a pool surrounded with sandstone slabs (not slippery) instead of the usual marble, so I had no worries about my 4yr old playing around the pool area!!
The snorkeling from the jetty was amazing, and at night they have a spot light at the end so the Lion fish come and float around under it!!
I think that just about covers it!!

In summary - If you go here expecting a faceless 5star resort, you're gonna be disappointed. However, go here expecting a small friendly hotel, you're (hopefully) going to have a great holiday!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Just returned from a two week stay at the Sea Sun and have to say that, overall, we were disappointed with the hotel. The staff were friendly, particularly Omar in the bar who looked after us very well but the food was repetitive and of very poor quality. There is only one restaurant and chicken is served twice every day and seldom presented in an appetising way. On more than one occasion, the fish on offer was served virtually raw and was totally inedible. As for the vegetables?.....well!!! On one occasion, there was no butter at breakfast time and lumps of cheap margarine was the alternative... yuk!! The quality of the food spoilt what would otherwise have been an enjoyable holiday. Food aside, the vodka ran out on one occasion and when that re-appeared, there was no tonic available for five days.

The manager was very unfriendly and seemed oblivious to the needs of his guests. Most of the time he spent moaning to the staff and clearing tables in the restaurant.

We went all inclusive but it was nothing like previous hotels at which we have stayed on this basis. No snacks of any kind were available outside of meal times and those with children should note that no ice cream was available at all.

The rooms were OK but basic and, despite having complained on three occasions, we had no hot water for the first five days of the holiday. The sunbeds by the pool and on the beach were mostly broken and potentially dangerous (beware of protruding nails).

No evening entertainment was on offer at all apart from one so-called 'Russian night' which involved a girl dance troupe. The beach bar was hardly used at all which was a pity as it would have made an ideal location for a BBQ etc as a change from the depressing restaurant.

The hotel is advertised as a four star establishment but a two star rating could be considered generous.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Sun Hotel Dahab? Share your experiences!