TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Sea Sun Hotel Dahab
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   53 Blue Hole Road, Dahab 2345, Egypt   |
Ranked #44 of 51 hotels in Dahab
London, United Kingdom
“slow start, seemed to get better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Went really with an open mind as it was a reasonably cheap holiday. On arrival , our room was not available so we were given a suite . Happy days , it was superb , couldn't have wished for better so ended up hounding the receptionist for the rest of the evening trying to pay to keep it for the rest of our ten days.
Although unsuccessful, i was told to return to reception the next day to get my room. Not available so kept the suite . This went on for a couple of days so we just unpacked and decided to stay put . Seemed to work because we weren't bothered again! And it was a lovely room although we did hear some horror stories about other guests rooms!
Food was poor, and service around the hotel wasn't too great either until the hotel manager arrived midway through our break . She took notice of everyones gripes , sacked the chef , and generally started her very unenvious task of getting things sorted.
To be quite honest , although i wouldn't go back it did seem like changes were afoot , so may well end up a nice hotel.
If you go, def visit the blue hole , fantastic snorkelling and diving and its not too far for a stroll along the beach .
Like I've said it was a cheap break, and I'm never really too worried if the foods a little rough occasionally as i like to eat out alot anyway.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The Hotel was exceptionally clean, and the facilities such as the pool were impeccably maintained. Food on offer was great and the all inclusive package was good value for money. We went just before peak season, and would have liked for the other advertised facilities (ie. pool and beach bar, and snack bar) to have been available. Rooms were ideal and were cleaned every morning to a high standard whilst we were at breakfast. The hotel had a lovely atmosphere and was very relaxing. The animation team did a great job but at times the music around the pool could have been a little quieter and chilled out! Situated out of Dahab the location was perfect! The hotel benefits from a stunning back drop and a gorgeous section or beach with coral ideal for snorkelling. As it is out of town you can relax without being hassled and haggled every 5 minutes. I felt that a little more attention could have been spent on keeping the beach area clean, but the garden areas around the hotel grounds were immaculate. The service we received was exceptional. The hotel had a really 'close' feel and you were made to feel like part of a family and were looked after as individuals. Overall a great experience and somewhere I would definitely visit again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for a week from 08 May 2010. Firstly, I would say we didn't feel this was long enough - we loved it here and will certainly return.

The room was spacious and clean and had a nice balcony - sometimes the water would go off and you'd get a bit of a sewagey smell, but that happens accross Egypt and is no fault of the hotel's. When you ask for privacy, the cleaning staff do respect this. If you have any valuables, do put them in the safe.

The pool was brilliant, I think the highest number of people around the pool we saw was about 10 at any one time and was normally 2 or 3 - excellent.
The all inclusive programme includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks, but excludes snacks and fresh juices - also there is only one restaurant but the chefs are extremely accommodating - if you want something, just ask!! They're all very cheerful and talented (ask chef Ahmed for the spicy pasta and tell him Jemma & Janine sent you :D )

Nour, Omar, Chef Ahmed, and the seven mohammeds are all excellent and a lot of fun - definitely make friends with them, they really made our holiday (epecially Nour and Omar)

Bad points - I want to stress that EVERY holiday has bad points and that you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Don't go here expecting European 4 star - we paid £400 for a week and that was well, WELL worth it. We were both really happy and at home here. So, as I said the water sometimes went off and there was a bit of a smell - but these things were out of the hotel's control. The food was a bit samey, but you can ask the chefs for something different - it was all good though, nicely cooked, good flavour. No diet fizzy drinks as mentioned by Belfast Dave (we met him on our holiday - nice bloke :D) That's it really.

We recommend: Talking to the other guests & making friends - Don't bother with the Russians, they seem to hate everyone. DEFINITELY make friends with the locals - they know all the best places. If you need a taxi, ask Nour to arrange for Walleed to pick you up - and tell him Bob says Hi & that he'll be over to visit soon.

Note: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't talk to the staff like they're idiots - they speak excellent English, and speaking louder and slower won't make them understand any better - there were people staying there at the same time as us that did all that and the elaborate hand gestures and it was cringeworthy (but provided quite a good source of entertainment for us). If you ask them to teach you a bit of Arabic they love it.

See you next year Habibis! Waheshni!

Jem & Janine. YELLA!
Ps - Nour, if you read this - BES!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Hello to all who are reading this. Our names are Jay and Julie from the West Midlands. We went to Sea Sun Hotel, Dahab on the 10th May 2010 for our Honeymoon and we cannot praise this hotel enough and its staff. The hotel is situated about 45 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Sharm El Sheikh. If its a quiet holiday you are looking for for then this is the place. Alot of people moaned when we were there saying its too quiet, to me they should have done their homework before booking their holiday so they have only got themselves to blame and have no time for them. We stayed in the Suite, I would thoroughly recommend to pay the little bit extra to stay in this room as you have a separate living room, bathroom with Jacuzzi and big open space bedroom. Your rooms are cleaned everyday with fresh towels supplied. What we thought was lovely was everytime you went back to your room after them cleaning, they would make swans and love hearts with the towels on your bed, the one day we even had a crocodile. The pool area is lovely, a couple of days we had the pool to ourselves as the other guests were either lying on the beach or doing their own thing, it was like having your own villa. The hotel is situated right on the beach, so you either have the luxury of the pool or just taking a few more steps you are on the beach. On the beach you have the option of Quad biking, Camel rides and horse riding, all of which you have to pay for but is very cheap. You can also have a Massage. In the reception area you have a bar where there are a selection of local drinks. We made great friends with the staff working behind the bar and have never met such lovely wonderful people. There names are Mohamed, Ashraf, Nour and Omar. These people made our Honeymoon, they are so helpful and friendly and cannot do enough for you! The restaurant, well what can I say, the food was superb. You had a mixture of food to choose from, chicken, fish, beef, pasta to name but a few. I would thoroughly recommend going all inclusive its great value for money. Mr Ali Kamal is the Front Office Manager at the hotel and could not help us enough either, a very nice gentleman who is very professional in what he does. Also there is Brigitte who is a General Manager there, she is making changes to the hotel so it is kept up to scratch and will eventually lead to having more activities there.

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel then you need to look elsewhere. Don't go there and think well it hasn't got this and it hasn't got that because you will only have yourselves to blame.

It was our first time in Egypt and it was our honeymoon so we did not know what to expect. We wanted our honeymoon to be something special and something that we would remember for the rest of our lives. LET ME SAY THAT ON BEHALF OF MYSELF AND JAY THIS HAS BEEN THE BEST HOLIDAY WE HAVE EVER HAD, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. THE STAFF AT SEA SUN ARE TRULY WONDERFUL PEOPLE AND WITHOUT A DOUBT WOULD THOROUGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GO THERE!!! WE WOULD LIKE TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO MOHAMED, MR ALI, NOUR, ASHRAF, OMAR AND BRIGITTE FOR MAKING US SO WELCOME. SEA SUN HOTEL IS GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY, THE LOCATION, THE STAFF, THE ROOMS, THE FOOD, THE HOSPITALITY ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD AND WE WILL BE BACK THERE NEXT YEAR, WE PROMISE.

SEA SUN HOTEL DAHAB EGYPT IS OUR HOME NOW AND THE STAFF ARE OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

Mr James and Mrs Julie Drew, West Midlands, England

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
grimsby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

it was suppose to be a 4 star all inc it was only 2 star which was addmitted by hotel manager only breakfast lunch and evening meal no snacks inbetween food kept warm in restraunt by tealights only one fridge for drinks so most of the time drinks were warm which u dont want on a very hot day we only had one small bucket of ice between holiday makers a day the staff were vary lazy they had no idea how to look after guests if u did not go snorkling there is nothing to do the beach is full or rocks so u cannot go in to sea for a swim without cutting u feet no entertainment at all so if u not lucky to meet people it very lonley place as u in middle of nowhere we were very lucky and met some lovely people but would not go back again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I don't normally write a review on a hotel I've stayed in, but this hotel was exactly what I was looking for and gave me everything I needed. Apart from a few little problems at the beginning, it was excellent. I will definitely return to this hotel.
I did find out that the hotel is relatively new, so expect teething problems.
I needed a holiday that included doing some diving at my pace.
I've been to most places in Egypt before so I knew what to expect. I have not stayed in Dahab. I trawled through all of the hotels and finally decided upon The SeaSun. I am glad that I did. I felt safe; a majority of the time and well looked after. All the staff couldn't do enough for me. The food was good, the choice for me was enough, but if you expect 4* European standards, then it isn't for you.
It does have however, a good choice of food and themes on a regular basis. I didn't get to see the entertainment in the hotel, as I was out every night with friends in Dahab city but I was told by other guests, it was very good.
The rooms are cleaned once a day and towels are replaced on a daily basis.
The hotel in general is very clean and standards are very high. There is a room safe, which I definitely recommend should be used for anything and everything valuable, including iPods’
There were a few things that I did find a bit problematic.
At the beginning, I asked to be moved from the room I was given. Not because of any bad reason, just because it didn’t really have much of a sea view. I paid for this so... The reception[ Abdul] was incredibly helpful, Changing rooms wouldn't take that long, as I had help with one of the cleaners for the hotel who doubles up as a bell boy; he helped me move my stuff... I didn't like the room I went to, so I moved back, the cleaner/bell boy wanted a kiss for a tip, I complained to the reception and I didn't see the bell boy again after this.
Apart from this little mishap, generally though, I would say that ALL the staff were very helpful and very friendly. Including Mr Ali, he is the reception manager and I thought he should be the General manager as he took care of everything and everyone, with little recognition. There was a new general manager that started whilst I was there.
Other things that went wrong: Every evening I would have to add a few minutes extra onto my shower time as the water would frequently go off mid shower, but it would always come on again, a couple of minutes later
The staff and the new general manager are doing everything they possibly can to make the stay of all guests, comfortable and enjoyable. Any problems that arose were dealt with swiftly and with ease.
For me, the hotel really is in a beautiful location, sandwiched between the mountains and the ocean, its perfect.
I would say though, it is quite a distance from the main bars and restaurants. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the Hotel into Dahab in the evening, but many taxi's go by on a regular basis so it doesn't matter if you miss it or go before it. Expect to pay for a one way trip, between 20 or 30 Egyptian pounds [about £3.50]..And even then don't be afraid to haggle! : ] When in Egypt!
The Sea Sun hotel does have a good dive centre, but it’s expensive. I believe this is because of a few factors, the captured audience, the location and the area, the blue hole and canyon are two of the most famous dive sites in Dahab, they are just a couple 100 yards up the beach from the Hotel and easily accessible. If you really don't want to move much and you want to go with the hotel's dive centre, then great! I recommend it. The jetty from the beach is a good starting point to either dive or snorkel. However, I would recommend that you venture into Dahab [the light house area] to look for a diving centre that has reasonable rates like Sea Pioneer or Sinai Divers naming just a couple that will accommodate you to your dive needs.[ If you go by taxi, tell him the light house area] I would recommend also that if you are a diver and you are on a budget then definitely venture out of the hotel [8 dives should be approx 120-150euros including tanks, equipment and the car to pick you up/drop you off at the sea sun hotel]
It’s also a lot cheaper, if you buy in package rather than individual dives. I also recommend. A Bedouin night, starting with a camel ride, as well as Quad biking for the day, it gives you some excitement in the desert! No need to pre book as you can book these through the Sea Sun Hotel quiet easily when you get there.
Try this hotel if you are looking and wanting total escapism, peace and quiet, a good night’s sleep, good service, good food and helpful staff.
I will definitely be going back to this hotel as a solo traveller.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
EK, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Would agree with PrinceWill - enjoyed you & your pals' company. mate.
First prob at airport - courier changed from MTS (per travel voucher) to Bright Sky Travel. Minibus for the four of us to Dahab was good, however there was no letter at hotel when we arrived to say who our rep was, and no rep attended during our stay.
The Seasun itself was fairly 3 star, and located to the north end of Dahab on its own with potential building going on towards both sides. Fortunately no construction noise going on when we were there. Hotel facilities were reasonable, good pool & private beach - be careful of the odd rampaging camel! Good half-size snooker table let down by poor cues and one ball missing; table tennis a non-goer; great snorkelling at the jetty just a short walk away.
Beach bar was always closed for drinks and pool bar open only once during our stay. Only one restaurant when brochure said 2/3. Food was very similar each lunchtime & dinner - fish, chicken, beef, salad & pasta. Calamari & liver were added a couple of nights. Soups were 'packety' but desserts were plentiful & varied. Later found out you could order some Euro dishes, but had to pay for this.
Bar facility too small for a hotel this size. Would struggle if full of Brits. Staff were friendly enough - slight language probs - but customer service lacking in some - disappearing when you were about to place an order, or talking to a colleague/on the mobile instead of serving you. Lots of guys walking about looking important but appearing to do very little. One manager very good at arranging a golf trip for us to Sharm. Entertainment was a fire-juggler & belly dancer - lasted about one hour.
Good 10-15 minute courtesy bus into Dahab with a good strip of nightlife - bedouin lounges serving food at reasonable prices. We went into town on 3 occasions purely for a change of diet. We all had a bit of Pharoah's revenge for about half a day at some point during our stay. Beds were wood-frame & not big comfy divans. Rooms were well maintained. Russian guests did not welcome you if you invaded their air space!
Last problem at airport - duped by minibus driver & porters - my wife had her vanity case pinched, so beware.
In summary, a good place to chill out and hopefully will improve. Disappointed to find that we paid just under £500 for 7 nights AI when our Belfast correspondee had 11 nights for same.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sea Sun Hotel Dahab? Share your experiences!