“Delish!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Bloomingdale, New Jersey
“Delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I went to Sylvester's for the first time last night. I loved the informal atmosphere of the picnic tables and tent. We started with the Mussels Sylvester's which were delicious. A huge tray came as one order and they were tender and fresh. I had a broiled seafood combo, and each sample of fish were cooked perfectly. It was all very fresh and well prepared. The crab cake ( Not really in pattie form) was the best. The crab meat was sweet and there was hardly any fill. Our server was very friendly. I would definitely go back again next year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Howell, MI
“Something Different”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We chose Sylvester's as it had a different offering in that it was all picnic tables inside a large tent-like structure. Not sure if it was just the time of year we were there (September) or not, but there were biting black flies everywhere. Your food arrives in a carryout container. You can bring your own alcoholic beverage and they give you a bowl with ice in which to chill it. I made the mistake of ordering a filet mignon (in a fish place? What was I thinking!!). Not what I hoped for. The others ordered fish and it was good. It was very expensive, and having the fly problem made it not a very good time. Win some, lose some!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Morristown, NJ
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The place doesn't impress but the food certainly does. The wait was a bit. Be prepared to eat at picnic tables with paper plates and plastic utensils but it did NOT disappoint. The freshest fish in town.

Visited August 2013
“The WORST”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Awful, just awful. Every single thing about this place is awful. If I could give a ranking lower than "1", I would do so. Food sucked. Atmosphere sucked. Just bad, bad, bad. Go elsewhere, my friends.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent traditional shore seafood fare!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Sylvester's has become a family tradition on our extended family's yearly week-long pilgrimage to Stone Harbor. So much so that we were disappointed this year when we discovered they've changed their hours and are no longer open for lunch on weekdays. (Hence, my review today of Quahog's in Stone Harbor.) If you love traditional shore fare, e.g., crabcakes, raw oysters, fried shrimp, fried flounder, crab imperial, there's probably no place better on Seven-Mile Beach to find it. That is, as long as you don't mind dining on picnic tables underneath a canopy that can be a little warm on one of those stinkin' hot Jersey Shore summer days. It is a BYOB place, which definitely helps keep the bill down. Their crabcakes are some of the best I've had anywhere, which is to say there's lot's of crab and very little cake, with just some mayonnaise and Sylvesters' own seasoning blend. Service is always pretty good. From what I hear, this place can get pretty crowded on weekend evenings, with lines to get in the door. I'm not sure whether they take reservations. Regardless, this is the real deal for an authentic shore lunch or dinner.

Visited September 2012