“Concord Cafe - take out pizza good, dine in experience bad.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza, Soups
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Parsippany, NJ
“Concord Cafe - take out pizza good, dine in experience bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Stopped by Concord Cafe twice. First time was to pickup two large pies for $16.99. Great price. The pies were very good. No complaints. Would order the pies again. Second time was to dine in with extended family. Worst chicken cheese steak I ever had. Ground up to a consistency of Alpo and tasteless. I had to labor through it. The best that could be said was that I wasn't hungry after - and that isn't quite a compliment. Son had a BBQ grilled chicken sandwich which was half-burnt to the point where we could not even cut it up for him to consume. I am surprised that they served it. Those who had burgers said they were fine. Service was quite slow. Took 45+ minutes to be served. Yes, we had a party of 10, but we're talking burgers, cheese steak sandwiches, etc. Should have taken 30 minutes max. The place was packed, so perhaps this was just one bad experience (and a bad chicken cheese steak.) Would likely not return, except for take out pizzas.

Visited July 2011

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Tasty And Affordable- An Excellent Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is an excellent dining option if you are looking for delicious, affordable meals in the Avalon/Stone Harbor area. We got take-out twice during our stay at the attached Concord Suites. The Cafe has an extensive menu of burgers, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, salads, fried snacks, and some full dinners. There is a bar with TVs, and various booths and tables, and I imagine the place can get quite crowded and noisy. This is a totally come-as-you-are spot, so shorts, t-shirts, and sandals are fine.

Just a couple of minor boo-boos, probably attributable to mostly young staffers, some of whom seemed newly-trained and fairly inexperienced. I ordered a burger, and they forgot to ask me how I wanted it cooked. Fortunately, it was delivered medium-rare, just perfect, and was a nicely hand-formed eight-ounce slab of ground chuck. Unfortunately, the pickle I had clearly mentioned when ordering was absent. And a salad featuring "dried cranberries, slivered almonds and bleu cheese crumbles" seemed to have very little of all three. Fairly minor quibbles, especially at this price point. And one surprise: cole slaw is an option with many dishes, at no extra charge! Nice.

The staff is reasonably pleasant, though very busy. You can call ahead for take-out. The food is fairly competent and tasty, and reasonably priced, compared with most other options in this resort area. A variety of burger and sandwich options are available for $8.99, and come fully dressed and with fries. Substitutions are handled with no fuss. Various 16-inch pizzas are in the $16-19 range, slightly lower than other area pizzerias.

Despite a few minor gaffes, we enjoyed our meals from the Concord Cafe, and would definitely recommend it as a tasty and affordable alternative to the higher-priced "fine dining" establishments.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Naples
“How could I have missed this place?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

I have been spending time in Avalon since 1985 and, for the first time this weekend, i finally went to the Concord Cafe. What was I waiting for? While most of the menu consists of "bar food" (e.g., burger, steak sandwiches, pizzas) they also have a nice selection of salads and entrees. Our group was in a bit of a rush so we ate from the bar menu ~ and everyone was really happy with their meal. Also, our very pleasant and efficient waitress, was quick to suggest a salad as a substitution for the French Fries I didn't want. Glad she did because the salad and the house dressing were excellent!! Did I mention that their drinks are bigger and less costly than anywhere else on the island? I can't wait to go back ~ even if it means I'll have to listen to my friends saying, "I told you so!".

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
“Dont Miss This Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Went there during the week at 7:00pm, prime dinner hour.....waited only 20 minutes and sat at the bar.....good prices for the shore...menu had everything from Great Burgers to a Pasta selection to Salads and a plethora of choices for Pizza....very good prices our party was five and it was under $65 plus tip.....would highly recommend to go and also for take-out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Great bar/restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

This is a great restaurant to eat in or take out. Food is very good. The bar is a great place to hang out for a while when waiting for take out.