“Avalon's Gem - The Golden Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Golden Inn Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oceanfront at 78th Street, Avalon, NJ 08202   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Philadelphia
“Avalon's Gem - The Golden Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I was in Avalon, NJ for a business function and stayed at the Avalon Golden Inn. I was immediately impressed with the large, clean, yet cozy lobby space. We were immediately welcomed and checked in. Our room had an ocean-front view and the balcony/patio that was off our room was spacious and well appointed with table/chairs and lounge chairs. The view was simply breathtaking. The room was also quite spacious and very cozy. There could be a few updates to the rooms including some new doors, bathroom updates, etc. However all of the basics were covered really well.. and then some. And, the bed mattresses were amazing. I got the best night's rest I had gotten in a long time there!

Their restaurant and bar served great drinks and food and the breakfast buffet was wonderful. I loved the convenience of the hotel to everything and the beach access was great!

Overall, we had a VERY ENJOYABLE stay at the Golden Inn.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
CoolerByaMile, Customer relations at Golden Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Dear past guest,

We are thrilled to hear of your experience at the Golden Inn Avalon. We are making every effort to make each visit a pleasant, memorable experience. If you have further feedback or suggestions, please feel free to email us directly so we can serve you better to feedback@goldeninn.com. This email is direct line to the sales manager, general manager, and customer service manager. We really hope that the weather was beautiful while you were here and had some great times at the Avalon shore. Please feel free to reach out to us via email. We would be happy to receive any feedback that you would like to share.
The Golden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

My two friends and I wanted to spend some time away together. I found the Girls Getaway packages offered by the Avalon Hotel and it sounded like just what we were looking for. I always check out Travelocity and I read some negative reviews of the hotel, but we decided to try it anyway. And I'm so glad we did - for an extremely reasonable price, we got an inclusive package from Friday thru Sunday that was wonderful from beginning to end. I can't imagine how anyone could not enjoy this place - the hotel, the staff, and the food were all lovely!

Hotel Overall/Location - comfortable, clean and charming. Lobby had a (real) fire going with comfy chairs around it; convenient gift shop has necessities; the restaurant is attached and was very good. It was March so we didn't get to use the outdoor pool but the pool area looked very nice. Avalon is a beautiful town. Shopping and lunch opportunities were plentiful, even in the off season; and Avalon is very close to Cape May so we drove down there for a few hours and had a nice time.

Rooms - the theme for the weekend (it changes every time) was "Mardi Gras" and the lobby was decorated accordingly, plus when we checked into our room we found a welcome message and a cute Mardi-Gras themed treat for each of us: beads (which we wore all weekend!) and little bags of good candy. The room itself was very nice - clean, pretty bed linens, above-average toiletries. Free wireless internet. Small balcony. Pretty much everything you would want. Clean, comfortable and attractive.

Food - The package included welcome cocktails and appetizers; two breakfasts, two dinners, and drinks at the hotel restaurant. I wasn't really expecting anything but decent food, but I was wrong - it was wonderful! The restaurant was large and inviting with a very friendly, efficient waitstaff. Breakfasts were buffet style and included hot items, cold cereals, beautiful fresh fruits and my favorite - a hot thermal pot of coffee to call your very own! Dinners were even better. I had fish both nights and was really impressed, the chef was not just phoning it in but delivered perfectly done, nicely presented and flavorful entrees. I would say portions were maybe SLIGHTLY on the small side, which is not a criticism. With the appetizer and dessert that was included I left each night feeling completely satisfied and not overstuffed.

Entertainment - the hotel really went out of its way to make sure the Girlfriends had a fun time. There was a DJ on Friday night, a band on Saturday night. There was a chick-flick movie with popcorn on Saturday. The hotel is also right on the beach, so we took several lovely walks to burn off some of the good food and enjoy the sound of the sea. Fortunately it was an unusually mild weekend and we really got to enjoy this.

Spa Service - the package also included a spa treatment of choice. This was not done in the hotel, you had to drive into town ( a very pleasant drive down a street lined with amazing homes) to one of several different spas. The one we were assigned was a cute little house, Spa Avalon. We chose to get pedicures and were very happy with the service and the atmosphere.

Staff - with one exception, the staff was excellent, seemed to be genuinely friendly and willing to help or go the extra mile to make sure you had a nice time.

Overall, I really can't recommend this place highly enough. I will definitely be back for another girls weekend, I believe this will be a new annual tradition!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear past guest,

We are thrilled to hear of your recent experience at the Golden Inn. Our staff is constantly changing but we do make every effort to make each visit a pleasant, memorable experience. If you have any additional feedback or should you want to revisit Avalon, please feel free to email us directly at feedback@goldeninn.com. This email is a direct line to the sales manager, general manager, and customer service manager. We really hope that the weather was beautiful while you were here. Please feel free to reach out to us via email. We would be happy to receive any feedback that you would like to share.
long island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

After staying at the Golden Inn for about 8 yrs. we were happy to see a much needed improvement in the Customer Service at the front desk . Keep it up

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
CoolerByaMile, customer relations at Golden Inn Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2010
Dear past guest,
We are happy to hear about your recent experience while staying at the Golden Inn. Our staff is constantly changing and we are making every effort to make each visit a pleasant, memorable experience. Please feel free to email us directly if you have additional feedback you'd like to share.
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I was very dissapointed in the Golden Inn. I was treated rudely while checking in and was embarrassed. When I got to my room, I found something that looked like feces on the toilet bowl. There were candy wrappers and toe nails behind the night stand. Unfortunately, I didn't say anything and cleaned the toilet myself. The next morning, I ordered breakfast from the menu rather than the buffet. I ordered an egg white cheese omelet, a piece of scrapple and a cup of coffee - $14.63. The buffet was $14.99! That evening I went to the dining room for dinner. I waited almost 15 minutes for someone to come to the table. There was only one other table with diners. When the hostess saw me looking around for waitstaff, she jutted her chin in my direction and smirked at a waitress who finally came over. The lobby was sandy and wet during the day because the bathers go through the lobby. They sit in cushioned chairs, and if you don't feel the chair before you sit down, you will get a wet behind!
What I found very upsetting was to receive the bill and find that I was charged $1.00/day for the use of the phone which I didn't use! EVERYONE is charged for the phone whether you use it or not. I spoke with Angelo who said he was the manager; I just learned he is not. I was offered $100 off for my troubles. I spent over $1,000 for three nights at a hotel which I felt was the best in Avalon! They need to get their act together!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Dear past guest,
We apologize that you had this experience while staying at the Golden Inn and as the staff is constantly changing we are making every effort to make each visit to the Golden Inn a pleasant, memorable experience.
Again we apologize that you had this experience and really hope that you will email us directly so we can serve you better should you ever decide to revisit Avalon.
Our email is feedback@goldeninn.com. This email is direct line to the sales manager, general manager, and customer service manager. We really hope that the weather was beautiful while you were here and still had some great times at the Avalon shore. Please feel free to reach out to us via email. We would be happy to receive any feedback that you would like to share.
The Golden Inn

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel is overpriced and is below average, at best. Do not be fooled by the nice lobby. It all goes downhill from there. The rooms are in serious need of upgrades... while the prices need to be downgraded.

The only thing going for this hotel is that it's right by the beach. But guess what? Avalon/Stone Harbor are located on a very narrow island, so really, wherever you are staying, you're close to the beach. There are much better places to stay... and they're located right near this place. (Concord Suites, Desert Sand, Oceanview at Avalon, etc)

When you drive by, you'd think that the Golden Inn is the best place to stay on the island. But look a little closer, and you'll see there are much better alternatives close by!

Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Dear past guest,
We sincerely apologize that you had a less than favorable experience while staying at the Golden Inn and as our staff is constantly changing we are making every effort to make each visit to the Golden Inn a pleasant, memorable experience.
Succasunna, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I stayed at the Golden Inn many times over the years and it has been hard and disappointing to see its decline. This place is in a terrific location, right on the beach and at the border of Avalon/Stone Harbor which allows you to walk into Stone Harbor to shop or get something to eat or an ice cream at Springers. We stayed many times with our children and hoped that the renovation would begin to turn things around. However, after my last stay, which was just horrendous, I wrote a detailed letter to the manager, (by the way, I never write those types of letters) stating my problems and how things have regressed. Everything from leaks in the ceiling, dirty carpeting, dingy hallways, outdated furniture, peeling paint on the balconies.......just a mess. I never even received the courtesy of a reply. I love the Stone Harbor/Avalon area and have many great memories at the Golden Inn with my children. Unfortunately, when we return to the area we'll be forced to find other accomodations, or as we did last year, move to Cape May for the week. Very, very disappointing. I almost wish someone would buy it and refurbish the place........it has such great potential.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Dear past guest,
We sincerely apologize that you had this experience while staying at the Golden Inn and as our staff is constantly changing we are making every effort to make each visit a pleasant, memorable experience.
Our email is feedback@goldeninn.com. This email is a direct line to the sales manager, general manager, and customer service manager. We really hope that the weather was beautiful while you were here and that you still had some great times at the Avalon shore.
King of Prussia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I find trip advisor to be a useful tool when planning a trip. This is my first reveiw. Hopefully it will help you avoid what I just experienced. I was quoted at $250 for the night of my stay. It came to $281 after taxes. When I checked my bank account two days after my trip I noticed that they had charged me $281 ($250/$31) AND an additional $380 ($310/$70). I called the hotel and spoke with Angelo who told me that I was wrong and that an additional $380 was NOT taken out of my account. I had already spoken with PNC bank and checked my info online. IT WAS WITHDRAWN. Then Angelo said he would "take care of the $70 but not the $310. Then he told me it was because I used a debit/check card. This was upsetting. He then asked for the 800 number to PNC bank and told me he would check MY ACCOUNT and get back to me. First of all, he can not check my ACCOUNT without my info which I was not giving him. Second of all, he never got back to me. I had to call them several times and was directed to voice mail each time. Finally, I was told that he would fax my bank that I do not owe the $380. No apologies and AWFUL treatment. Not to mention the check out line took 30 mintues of waiting in a long line. Needless to say I will not return to the Golden Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CoolerByaMile, customer relations at Golden Inn Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
Dear past guest,
We sincerely apologize that you had this experience while staying at the Golden Inn and as the staff is constantly changing we are making every effort to make each visit a pleasant, memorable experience. Again we are sorry that you had this experience and really hope that you will email us directly so we can serve you better should you ever decide to revisit Avalon. Our email is feedback@goldeninn.com. This email is direct line to the sales manager, general manager, and customer service manager. We really hope that the weather was beautiful while you were here. Please feel free to reach out to us via email. We would be happy to receive any feedback that you would like to share.
The Golden Inn

Been to Golden Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!