“The Golden Days” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles
“The Golden Days”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stayed at this property as it was one that was recommended by a local. As I looked on their website, I thought it looked pretty decent and more updated than the has been motels in the area. Before I start my review though, I must say that it was during the off season and things were pretty much operating in the off season mode. I'll start with the good.
The staff was very friendly and helpful with my needs when I had needs. Even though it was a little too cold for the beach, it's literally a great spot if you like spending your days on the beach. I did sleep well through the night which being on a business trip is always a bonus.
Now kind of the bad. For one, the hotel needs a REAL makeover. The carpets are old and overall it just feels old and that no one cares to keep up appearances. And for the price, they should use some of that towards to remodel. It's kind of sad because on the website everything looks clean and to date but in person felt it was the opposite. Because of this, it felt a little depressing always coming back to this room. Also, the only other problem I had was with the restaurant. I only had breakfast there so I can't comment on other times but I just felt the service was not up to par. It was a bit slow and felt the servers were not very attentive. The main hostess/manager was very nice but the staff was luke warm. I do like a second cup of coffee or at least asked if I want more.
Again, I know it was off season so I am very aware of that fact but I do expect a better quality of service. Would I stay here again? I'm not sure. THe only reason why I might is because it's only 1 of 2 hotels in the area that are full service and as a business traveler, I need that.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We paid for the girlfriends getaway package which included a two night stay, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, 1/2 hour spa treatment along with a DJ Friday night and live music on Saturday night.
The food was great. Portions were a good size and food was fresh. I ordered something vegetarian (not shown on menu) and they were very compliant.
The room was very clean and big. The problem was the noise from the heater. It rattled all night and kept me awake. Whenever the fan went on, a metallic rattling noise came along with it. That was a real drawback to an otherwise nice room. Wireless access to Internet was free. That was a perk.
The girlfriends' getaway would probably have been more fun in the summer when we could go to the beach. There wasn't much to do in the daytime and we had a very small group. Other groups were quite large -- 10, 20, even 40. It would have been nice to have some interaction between the groups. Maybe a movie or a large meeting room where board games or cards could be played and people could interact.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Millville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I came to the hotel on an off weekend with my husband. We stayed in the oceanfront suite. Sue in the reservations department was WONDERFUL!!!! The food was GREAT. Chef Brett made us a wonderful meal. Kevin the General Manager personaly welcomed us, you don't find that too often. We read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were a little nervous, but they far EXCEEDED our expectations. The hotel is really a gem. People always want to spout off on the negative, but don't mention the positive. This hotel is a wonderful positive. Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Washington, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

The hotel is very nice, rooms are clean and the bar and entertainment are good. The breakfast buffet is good. The dinner was horrible! The food was not fresh or good quality. The portions were very small and not much choice to pick from... "Chef Brett" is probably the worst chef ever! I think that it was probably the worst meal I have ever had...or at least one of the worst. If you stay there just go over to the Concord for dinner, I hear they serve a great meal.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Mountainside, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

So ok the rooms are not five star, but we only go there to sleep. My husband and I spent our time on the beach and out by the pool. The pool was clean and open late for night swimming, the waite service from the beach bar was great, as was the daily entertainment on the patio. Morning breakfast was great. Every so many years hotels need an update, and this one is ready, but we loved it, we went twice this summer, and will be back next year as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

The front desk staff, both at check-in and check-out, were unfriendly and unhelpful. We did not feel at all welcomed - we actually had to interrupt the front desk person from watching TV to check in. The worst part, though, was the dirt and grime. The carpets in the hallways and elevator did not appear to have seen a vacuum for days. Used room service items in the hallway were still there in the morning. And, the most disgusting thing of all, the vents of the A/C unit in the room were filled with dust, dirt and mold. There was also green mold under the plastic tap controls in the bathroom. It was the kind of hotel room in which you don't want to take your socks off to walk across the carpet. It's worth the drive to get to a decent hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I read the reviews of this hotel before my wife and I booked our stay. Regardless, we tried to keep an open mind and make the best of it there since the location was what we were looking for, and we are not too difficult (overall) to please when it comes to hotels. That being said, let me sum up our weekend and the Golden Inn. The best feature of this hotel is its location. It's right on the beach, and it's close to many other places you might want to travel to at the shore. So that's a plus. When we entered the hotel, we found the front desk staff to be friendly, though no one offered to help us with our bags even though we were obviously struggling a bit. Not a big deal, though it did leave an impression on me as we made our way to the elevator. We couldn't find the elevator at first because the door looked like a broom closet. It's a very small elevator. When we got out I immediately noticed that the hallway carpets are in a desperate need of replacement. They appeared a bit dirty, shabby and frayed in places. Again, I'm generally not too picky but it was something I noticed. Anyway, we made our way to our room which was an ocean front room. The room itself was clean and appeared a bit nicer and larger than I expected. Thumbs up on the room, which had a great ocean view. We relaxed for awhile and then went down to the restaurant in the hotel-- not the Italian one. Whichever one was right there when you come in. Anyway, let me just say that there was a lot left to be desired about the price and quality of the food there. It is way overpriced and not very good. We would have felt overcharged if we had paid half of what they were charging for the quality. It was mediocre at best, and I'm being kind. Also, I noticed that there were a lot of crumbs and general debris on the floor when we got there-- which was at 5:00pm sharp (the beginnning of dinner service), so obviously no one had taken the time to clean up in there after lunch. Also, we were in the mood for a side of french fries to go with out meal, (which we asked our server for twice), which never arrived. The server was friendly enough, but it wasn't very busy in there at that time so I'm not sure what the problem was. Anyhow, we drank a bit of wine and didn't let it spoil our mood (btw- the house pinot grigio is awful, but we did find a nice chardonnay, St. Francis, that was quite good). From dinner we went back to our room to unwind and get some rest, and that's when we realized that our room was directly next to the loudest, most vulgar women at the shore. Let me just say that my wife and I lay in bed and listened to racuous screaming, cackling, vomiting and other things too baffling and disgusting which I would have a hard time describing. And I'm not talking about women in their early to mid 20s having a girls weekend out. These were women in their late 40s to mid 50s who apparently had been waiting for this weekend to be unshackled by reason, decency and moderation. Eventually at around 2am we had to call down to the front desk to complain, which I loath doing. To their credit, they sent someone up there to quiet them down, which they eventually did. I only mention this because I got the impression that this type of patron here at the hotel was not unusual. So if you book a room here, I would either request to be put far away from other guests, or make SURE you bring earplugs-- which is exactly what my wife and I did for our 2nd night there. Granted, the hotel does not have control over who books rooms there. But it does bear mentioning what sort of people you will likely encounter while staying there. So do not stay here if you are looking for a place to unwind and relax, because it is unlikely you will get it there. Also, there are other places to eat close to the hotel. Do not waste your money on the food at the hotel. Overall. I'd say that the next time we head to that area, we will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!