“Great Hotel and great staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windrift Resort Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Windrift Resort Hotel
You added Windrift Resort Hotel to your Saves list
105 80th Street, 80th Street and the Beach, Avalon, NJ 08202   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
rwessner1
“Great Hotel and great staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We just got back from a mid-week stay at the Windrift and I was very happy with it!. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, and the food was terrific! They even supplied us with tolities such as toothbrushes and razors when we forgot ours! And brought extra pillows and coffee to the room within 5 minutes! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

This hotel was in a great location and the photos and description were enticing. I arrived and believed this would be a nice place (free valet!!!) I quickly realized this was not a great hotel. I stayed at the Windrift with a group of girls for a bachelorette party. After spending the night in the bar down stairs our group retired to our room and continued our conversations. To our surprise there was a bachelor party staying in a room near us down the hall. The bachelor party kept coming to our room and knocking on the door to join our get together. We declined that invitation and they continued knocking. We decided to ignore the knocking and a couple hours later the police were at our door telling us we were too loud!!! When we mentioned the bachelor party, the night manager shouted to the police we were lying!! After getting frustrated we all retired to our rooms for the night only to be greeted in the morning by the day manager. He explained that the night manager left a letter of complaint about us and that were basically being warned and he told us that they knew were rowdy because one of our group members passed out in the hall. Funny thing is the person passed out in the hall was a GUY!! It was one of the members of the bachelor party yet we were being held responsible. RIDICULOUS!!! Well after those lovely episodes we tried to enjoy the rest of our stay. We went to the beach and then the outdoor bar where we waited over an hour to have a server wait on us. We had to ask for a server 3 times before someone finally came over. To top all this off, besides the location nothing was good about the hotel. The rooms were older and the bathroom was tiny (knees hitting the door if you are on the toilet). The staff was not personable or service oriented. It was definitely overpriced for what you got. I will not return to this hotel if I ever travel back to the area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Raleigh, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

If you aren't part of a family staying at this hotel, don't even BOTHER!! We were there for a bachelorette weekend and they hotel staff was absolutely the WORST staff I've ever come in contact with!!! They were rude to us from the moment we checked in and throughout our entire stay. They offer free valet if you have too many cars for their lot....they denied us that!! And on Friday night (the night we checked in), the 9 of us were sitting in one of our rooms talking at a reasonable level and they called the police and threatened to kick us out!! The hotel is old, the staff is rude and the guests were even rude to us even though their kids were running down the halls screaming all hours of the day!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

The reason that I am writing this is to help anyone who is looking for a hotel in either Avalon or Stone Harbor. Look no further and book your stay. My husband and I had a hard time finding a place to stay with our 3 year old son for his first trip to the beach. We are from western Maryland and had a 5-hour drive so we wanted something nice. This is the perfect hotel. You will be close to all sorts of entertainment and things to do with your children. There is a park right next door and the beach is clean. The hotel is clean and the restaurant is great with a nice staff and great and affordable food. We drove to Wildwood (20 min) one night and Cape May (20 min) another for shopping, eating, etc. We will stay at the Windrift again and we are glad we found this hotel. By the way, we do not have a GPS but we used mapquest and the directions were perfect. If you are not from NJ, there are several roads to take to the beach and so I would recommend directions.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Woodbury NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

This past winter, I received a note in the mail that I had a credit for a one night's stay. I had forgotten all about it. The amazing thing is, it was from about 12 years ago!!! I called The Windrift and Yes they said they were going through old files and discovered we still had the credit which had to be used no later than July 23rd, 2009. I took advantage of it on July 13th to take my son to the shore for the one night. Our room was great (3rd Floor) and we made sure to eat in the restaurants since I felt the staff was so kind to remind me about the credit. I mean, how many hotels would remind you about a credit that was 12 years old??????????? Stay there...beach was gorgeous, as well.
Rochelle Popivchak

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

The Windrift resort is a low key gem located right on the Avalon beach- I found this hotel to be perfect for my family with young children- the rooms were really simple, clean, and had fridges. The location was really great for the beach and within walking distance ( bring a stroller if you have younger ones) to restaurants, shops etc. in Stone Harbor. The outdoor pool was clean and perfect for kids. I have to say the waitstaff at the pool were so friendly and efficient- we had great service each day! The menu is very reasonably priced and had enough variety to please all- and really delicious and fresh - I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great location, pool, restaurant etc- we had a fun time and would definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

We did not stay at the hotel but we did have the opportunity to visit the Windrift for lunch, dinner and happy hours during the rainy week my family spent in Stone Harbor. We have been coming here for many years and were all very happy with the overall improvements made to the food menus and the beach bar - updated bar area including couches, new logo, tables and chairs. Great casual dining selections at the beach bar including a new menu for brick oven pizzas. We sampled a few sandwiches and multiple pizzas. They were all delicious. There is sushi available but we stuck to the basics. Even the chicken wings on their weekly Wing Night were an improvement from years past. One minor complaint - why charge a cover on Wing Night? Perhaps they should only charge the people who are going to be drinking the reduced price beer.

Dinner for a large party in the Windrift dining room was also well done and our waitress (Arlene?) was very friendly and professional.

Can't comment on the hotel rooms. Last time we stayed there (2005) the rooms were in need of an overhaul which may have already happened. The Windrift has the best location on Seven Mile Island. Very glad that the owners are investing money to update this perfectly located, sentimental favorite.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Windrift Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!